Skyrim Modding Guide

I'm just curious if you happen to have any tips of the easiest way to figure out what is crashing your game/textures randomly going pink/purple. The Log is just gibberish to me. Mod Organizer isn't indicating any missing masters either and I've used Loot.

You are going to have to be a lot more specific about the exact place you are crashing or seeing these things. You can also post your log if it seems gibberish.

Most of the time a crash will come from a missing mesh (a missing texture just turns blue and actually improves your framerate, a missing mesh on the other hand will crash you), missing skeleton node for an animation that the character is attempting, or because of conflicting scripts. Just had to remove Advanced Adversary Encounters because it's script that adds potions to the game directly conflicted with Disparity's functions to add it's race-specific health adjustments, causing a continuosly running background script with a high chance to crash me if other scripts like SkyUI wanted to run. Other times if you are crashing from a load gate into an area or when approaching an area just waiting for 3 days before going there will actually make the crashes stop, with no further interractions needed.

So I just recreated one of my issues. I have attached the Papyrus log. Basically what I did was enter Breezehome and ask Leon to enslave me. And after putting in one of the rings, forget which one, it crashes. I have started other profiles and this interaction does work. The difference is that I don't have the a little sexy apparel replacer mod. When i first encounted the problem where I got purple items I figured that it was some clothing mod, I had two, UNP Minidresses and LSAR so I disabled LSAR and the clothes started appearing as normal. However even after doing a clean save after removing LSAR I still had this crash.

Papyrus.0.log

Your log is an absolute freaking mess of missing properties causing stacks to dump and scripts not being ended. Going to need a full load order probably.

I can tell you that the mod that was protesting at the end before the crash was ZAZ, so make sure you have installed that properly, assets and all.

Just a quick note for now, I haven't had time to take a quick look at Poodledee's load order etc, I'll get to it. But there's been an interesting developement.

For those of you who ignored my suggestion to install Mod Organizer and kept with NMM,  well... soon if you want it to keep updated, you won't have a choice. Tannin42, author of Mod Organizer, has become head developer of Nexus Mod Manager. Work on MO2 has stopped entirely, that's dead in the water (don't use it for skyrim special edition or Fallout 4, it's very unstable), and so has work on NMM, instead they are building some frankenstein hybrid of the two, that will be the successor of both managers.

hmm never used mod organizer i am still using nmm since well i am still new at mods :) and very often managed somehow to put them wrong order which causes strange things at game .

skyrim.esm

update.esm

unofficial skyrim patch.esm

dawnguard.esm

unofficial dawnguard patch.esm

heartfires.esm

unofficial heartfires patch.esm

dragonborn.esm

unofficial dragonborn patch.esm

apachiihair.esm

apachiihairfemales.esm

inn girls resources.esm up to this point this is my usual mod order after that i have some i choose 

smskyrim.esm 

sperg.esm 

sexlab.esm

sexlab aroused.esm

osa.esm sexlab and aroused with osa is also now usual in my order 

skyrim boarders disabled.esm

apropos.esp

fnis.esp

fnis sexymove.esp

skyui.esp

uiextensions.esp

skyrim configmenu.esp these 6 mods are also usual my load order 

racemenuplugin xpm.esp

nonsexlabanimation.esp

SLanimationloader.esp

convinienthorses.esp

Balancedmagic.esp

apocalypse spellpackage.esp

Lost grimoire.esp

violens.esp

amazinfollower tweaks.esp 1.66 aft 

dynamic dialogue follower overhaul.esp dfd

better vampires.esp

when vampires attack.esp

deadly dragons.esp

run for your lives.esp

werewolfmastery.esp my usual load order for overhauls well almost must to have ;)

lingeriesetcbbe 3.2 by nausicaa esp.

teraarmors cbbe.esp yeah i know these two i kinda testin if they look good or fit in my game 

remodeled armor underwear.esp

remodeled armor replacer vanilla.esp

remodeled armor replacer vanilla dawnguard.esp

remodeled armor replacer vanilla dragonborn.esp

weapon and armor fixes remade.esp

weapon and armor true orcish and daedric weapons.esp

weapons and armor dragonpriestmasks.esp

sperg.esp

sperg dg.esp

sperg db.esp

sexlab tools.esp

sexlab position selector.esp

mf radiant prostitution

sexlab romance.esp

sexlab eager npc.esp

skyrim immersive creatures.esp

skyrim immersive creatures dlc 2 .esp

rebirth monsters.esp

rebirth monsters sic patch.esp

weapon and armor trueweapons leveled list.esp

sms compressed.esp

sms skyrim encounters.esp

rigmor.esp needed border disabled for this mod 

sexlab amorous adventures.esp

bashed patch.esp

bd easylift bodies.esp

68 mods and i probably can drop it for hmm let see hmm about 60 

so i have noticed that some dialogues goes really fast to read mostly in slen , romance and prostitution i think i might have done something in dialogue load order that effects it

since slen increases relation ship rank i tought to have another dialogue option for my gameplays, prostitution is nice way to make money  not too much tought since you can change option the basic fees and what kind of aproach options you have i use active where i do aproaching and not do homejobs etc only basic circlin around entertaining ladies ;) hehe thane and dragonborn after all has that duty you know .

multimarriage well i couldnt get it work properly i kinda wanted to have serana and some other or 2 other npc my wife probably matter of loadorder i did put it before spouses enchanced.

any suggestion for dialogue problem and should i change something in there ? :) 

That is not a load order that will survive long, not with BOTH Sexlab and OSA. Pick one. Or drastically reduce your load order. A lot of mods like Rigmor is just going to fail with this combo.

DFD, swap it for RDO, Relationship Dialogue Overhaul. Same author, twice as many lines, huge expansion of the mods. Change to it on a new game, uninstalling DFD (or OSA or Sexlab) will kill your game, and running both at once is not recommended as DFD may end up breaking RDO functionality.

Get rid of Balanced Magic, SPERG is already doing all that it is doing, and more. Very old mod, not recommneded for usage now that there are better alternatives.

Unofficial patches, get rid of them get Unoffical patches Legendary Edition. Look to the first page of that mod's comments section on simple instructions on how to change masters if you have mods that require Unoffical Skyrim Patch or the like.

I'm having an issue where npcs constantly have silent voice going, their lips move but they don't say anything. They also do not greet me when I approach them and click on them, all other dialogue is working though. Would there be anyway of figuring out what's going on without having to deinstall stuff one by one to check or have you ever encountered this problem? I treid starting a new game but it was still there and I also tried uninstalling stuff like reduced npc greetings mod and fuz rho do silent voice mod which I thought might be related but no luck so far.

EDIT - NEVERMIND think I found the culprit

thank you sacremas i didnt know about osa and sexlab combo :) hmm its hard to decide which one to get rid of but i figure something , i look at rdo in new game and probably also lessen the load order more tryin usleep i think also reduce armor mods i use probably pickin one of them :) 

That is not a load order that will survive long, not with BOTH Sexlab and OSA. Pick one. Or drastically reduce your load order. A lot of mods like Rigmor is just going to fail with this combo.

DFD, swap it for RDO, Relationship Dialogue Overhaul. Same author, twice as many lines, huge expansion of the mods. Change to it on a new game, uninstalling DFD (or OSA or Sexlab) will kill your game, and running both at once is not recommended as DFD may end up breaking RDO functionality.

Get rid of Balanced Magic, SPERG is already doing all that it is doing, and more. Very old mod, not recommneded for usage now that there are better alternatives.

Unofficial patches, get rid of them get Unoffical patches Legendary Edition. Look to the first page of that mod's comments section on simple instructions on how to change masters if you have mods that require Unoffical Skyrim Patch or the like.

also add this mod http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/14884/?

one note, I saw Rigmor in there, while a very fun mod, it is a very heavy script mod that crashes often.   Save often and be prepared to pull your hair out near the end when your computer blows up trying to finish it.

I've already played quite some time with OSEX and sexlab. i'm guessing i can't uninstall sexlab midgame though especially since i have other mods requiring it too, is it safe to uninstall OSEX midgame? i didn't see any info on the main page of that mod, or does it use to many scripts to uninstall midgame?

Hello Sacremas,

i have a big problem. Since i encountered a rare error in NMM after upgrading i had to install everything from the very beginning but get stuck on installation of Tamriel Reloaded HD with a problem nobody could help, even on the Nexus NMM Beta Forum, neither in the comment section of the mod. That´s the first time this error occurs and i have no idea whats the cause. So while installing, round about 80-90 % this happenend:

A problem occured during install:
The access on path "d:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Mods\cache\Tamriel Reloaded HD main file 0-9b FULL for NMM-61995-0-9b\fomod\info.xml
was denied.
The mod was not installed.

I put a screenshot of the error message as an attachment.

*EDIT*

So after 2 Days of testing i rerolled back to NMM Version 62.0 - with that TR Reloaded HD could be installed without the error message. Just for your information.

I guess something changed in NMM version 63.+ so that the mod archive needs an update.

post-110295-0-73033900-1476780751_thumb.jpg

Hello, all!!  Who is the resident Guru on character modding and folder structure in Skyrim? I want to change the body on one or more of my followers. I have basic knowledge of the files involved, but the folder structures containing the relevant files are different.

I use MO for most all of my mods, and I believe I'll be making the required file changes there.  I don't want to take a chance of screwing up my game is why I'm asking for help. I REALLY don't want to start a new game again.

I can upload the needed files to a host server like Megasync, you can make the changes needed, and I can download the fixed files/folder(s).

Thanks in advance.

You are not going to screw up your game with something as easy as that. You would have to uninstall mods mid game, or remove or change scripts, or add in a scripted mod that overloads your script system to do that, this kind of basic messing around with followers is harmless, except to the follower itself.

It's very easy to mod followers like that. Take Seranaholic for example, she uses custom folders, where normal meshes are found under Meshes/Actors/Character/Character Assets Serana's meshes are found under Meshes/Actors/Character/Serana, but beyond that they are identically named files. Let's say you installed the Sevenbase body for regular NPCs, and you want to apply that body to Serana as well, just go into Character Assets and copy Femalebody_0.nif and Femalebody_1.nif and paste them into the Serana folder, and you are done. Might as well take the feet and hands to avoid seams; the head is a ECE specific head so I don't recommend replacing it, and instead trying to change her weight ingame via console commands if she gets a neckseam. Make a save before you start changing things, if you mess things up just reinstall the follower and load the save before you started messing with her, and it will be as it used ot be before you started, this way you can't really break your game in any fashion. I'm not going to do it for you because 1) I don't have the time (barely have time to visit lover's lab these days) and 2) I prefer just telling you how to do it so you don't show up with 3 more followers for me to change; teach a man to fish and all of that.

You know I just realized I had forgot to install Jcontainers. Not sure if that mod would have been causing the problems. Also not sure if the fact that I had it on my secondary non Solid State HD was causing problems either. I have since reinstalled on my SSD. Although I somehow feel that that may not be anything relevant.

[–]dUc0N 7 points

4 days ago

Rather than make copies, I made hard links:

1. Press Win+R, type "cmd", press enter.
  2. Navigate to your Skyrim SE folder.
  3. Use the mklink command to make a link (mklink /H linkname target):

mklink /H TESV.exe SkyrimSE.exe

mklink /H SkyrimLauncher.exe SkyrimSELauncher.exe

This sort of tells Windows to reference that file by both names, so when MO goes looking for TESV, it points to SkyrimSE and MO can't tell the difference. This same trick can be used to do stuff like sync your game saves to a cloud service like Dropbox.

Disclaimer: You should never blindly enter unknown console commands into your computer unless you understand what they're doing. You can type "mklink /?" or reference this Microsoft help article to verify what I'm saying. Otherwise you shouldn't trust me or anyone else with this kind of stuff... you can really mess up your computer!

found this on r/skyrim mods and wanted to run this by the braintrust here to see if this is the best way to get MO to work with SE.   I did try it and it works, but would like your thoughts.

Don't use Mod Organizer with SSE period. It's dead Jim. Regular Mod Organizer can't be used on a x64 game, it will crash, frequently, and by running SSE through regular MO, you may cause serious issues with the game. Mod Organizer 2 can be used, but I dont' recommend it; it's not in a stable state, and developement of it was cancelled entirely about half a year ago. When i tried it for Fallout 4 it worked really badly, and caused me no end of problems.

Tannin42 (Mod Organizer creator) is working on the next Nexus Mod Manager that will combine NMM and MO's functions, until that comes I actually suggest that you install all that you can via the Bethesda.net function, because regular NMM is a bit of a mess, and manually install the rest. Once the new NMM comes out in stable form (I'll post here when it does) uninstall Skyrim Special editon, delete the folder, the redownload it and resinstall the mods that way. Just trust me on this, you will have a lot less pain that way. Mostly the stuff you will install from Nexus instead will be things like nude textures, stuff that can't be on beth.net, and that's fine to just drop in your data folder. Even new ESPs can be activated through the in-game mod manager, and load order assigned. Though honestly I suggest you only use SSE for messign around with it for now, see what they changed and what it can do, and then go back to regular Skyrim. Sex mods, HDT mods, ENBs, most advanced mods in general won't show up for SSE in a long while, the sex mods may not show up AT ALL because Fore is retired, so we may be stuck with old Skyrim for that.

You know I just realized I had forgot to install Jcontainers. Not sure if that mod would have been causing the problems. Also not sure if the fact that I had it on my secondary non Solid State HD was causing problems either. I have since reinstalled on my SSD. Although I somehow feel that that may not be anything relevant.

Jcontainers comes bundled in quite a few mods actually, so there's a good chance you already had it.

[–]dUc0N 7 points

4 days ago

Rather than make copies, I made hard links:

1. Press Win+R, type "cmd", press enter.
  2. Navigate to your Skyrim SE folder.
  3. Use the mklink command to make a link (mklink /H linkname target):

mklink /H TESV.exe SkyrimSE.exe

mklink /H SkyrimLauncher.exe SkyrimSELauncher.exe

This sort of tells Windows to reference that file by both names, so when MO goes looking for TESV, it points to SkyrimSE and MO can't tell the difference. This same trick can be used to do stuff like sync your game saves to a cloud service like Dropbox.

Disclaimer: You should never blindly enter unknown console commands into your computer unless you understand what they're doing. You can type "mklink /?" or reference this Microsoft help article to verify what I'm saying. Otherwise you shouldn't trust me or anyone else with this kind of stuff... you can really mess up your computer!

found this on r/skyrim mods and wanted to run this by the braintrust here to see if this is the best way to get MO to work with SE.   I did try it and it works, but would like your thoughts.

Don't use Mod Organizer with SSE period. It's dead Jim. Regular Mod Organizer can't be used on a x64 game, it will crash, frequently, and by running SSE through regular MO, you may cause serious issues with the game. Mod Organizer 2 can be used, but I dont' recommend it; it's not in a stable state, and developement of it was cancelled entirely about half a year ago. When i tried it for Fallout 4 it worked really badly, and caused me no end of problems.

Tannin42 (Mod Organizer creator) is working on the next Nexus Mod Manager that will combine NMM and MO's functions, until that comes I actually suggest that you install all that you can via the Bethesda.net function, because regular NMM is a bit of a mess, and manually install the rest. Once the new NMM comes out in stable form (I'll post here when it does) uninstall Skyrim Special editon, delete the folder, the redownload it and resinstall the mods that way. Just trust me on this, you will have a lot less pain that way. Mostly the stuff you will install from Nexus instead will be things like nude textures, stuff that can't be on beth.net, and that's fine to just drop in your data folder. Even new ESPs can be activated through the in-game mod manager, and load order assigned. Though honestly I suggest you only use SSE for messign around with it for now, see what they changed and what it can do, and then go back to regular Skyrim. Sex mods, HDT mods, ENBs, most advanced mods in general won't show up for SSE in a long while, the sex mods may not show up AT ALL because Fore is retired, so we may be stuck with old Skyrim for that.

Jcontainers comes bundled in quite a few mods actually, so there's a good chance you already had it.

Thanks, thats why I trust you guys to point in the right direction.   The current NMM is total garbage, I used it for awhile and decided it wasnt worth it.  I knew about Tannin going to nexus, which in the end might be a good thing since he is doing it as a paid job now versus a side project on his spare time.   Back to regular skyrim and all the pretty textures and adult content :)

really weird texture glitch that just happened when I went into dungeon.   The follower (Rayaa) has her body textures all messed up unless you get real close then they are fine.   Have never seen that one before, as you can see in the 1st shot, everyone else looks fine.

post-373791-0-21915000-1478673337_thumb.jpg

post-373791-0-21727700-1478673349_thumb.jpg

post-373791-0-05620300-1478673358_thumb.jpg