Skyrim Modding Guide

I've been having crash issues with my Skyrim all week. Any saves I load in which I am in the main exterior space (main world) crashes after loading. I have asked all around aside from here, and they either don't reply or don't know. So here's some other things I've discovered, hopefully some of you peeps and come up with some theories that could save me from a great amount of stress...?

So here is a discovery log:

• I use MO
    • I am above the mod limit for TESV consisting of 255 esp/esm.
    • I have around 300 mods
    • 3 Merged mods (shown below)
    1. Apocalypse Magic Mod and two patches that go with it  
    2. Personalized Music preferred esps
    3. Ton of Armor mods that use the CBBE Body/Bodyslide with HDT some don't)
    • Used the disable technique to find the conflicting mods, constantly starting up mod game.
    • Found a few mods that were messing with the crashes:
    1. Children Animation Path
    2. No Snow Under Roof
    3. Merged mod of all my installed armors, most for CBBE HDT/Bodyslide 
    4. Merged mod of "Extra Encounters (Main mod with required patches)

Started working a few more times and put some other mods on a

A bit later I discovered a few armor mods (NOT included in the Merged Armor mod) I recently installed started crashing exterior saves:

1. Lady Bat and Wjun Mix for CBBE
    2. Midnight Breed Outfit for CBBE

After disabling/deleting a few more mods, worked, activated a few armor mods, crashed, disabled those mods again, still crashed, even when starting a new game with Alternate start it crashed, like what?? I know it's kind of confusing but honestly I don't know how else to describe it. I will look at it again later today, and if any replies I'll keep you guys updated so I can possibly get this fixed. In the meantime, please post any ideas or questions to make finding a solution easier for me and you, this is my last resort before having to install all over again OR have to do a Skyrim run in which I have ONLY interior saves, that's no fun. :( Thank you!

Can you make a new game and save it, then, from that point on,  load the new game, and then load the save you really want to run?

If that is the case, the problem you describe  is a pretty common one.

I've been having crash issues with my Skyrim all week. Any saves I load in which I am in the main exterior space (main world) crashes after loading. I have asked all around aside from here, and they either don't reply or don't know. So here's some other things I've discovered, hopefully some of you peeps and come up with some theories that could save me from a great amount of stress...?

So here is a discovery log:

• I use MO
    • I am above the mod limit for TESV consisting of 255 esp/esm.
    • I have around 300 mods
    • 3 Merged mods (shown below)
    1. Apocalypse Magic Mod and two patches that go with it  
    2. Personalized Music preferred esps
    3. Ton of Armor mods that use the CBBE Body/Bodyslide with HDT some don't)
    • Used the disable technique to find the conflicting mods, constantly starting up mod game.
    • Found a few mods that were messing with the crashes:
    1. Children Animation Path
    2. No Snow Under Roof
    3. Merged mod of all my installed armors, most for CBBE HDT/Bodyslide 
    4. Merged mod of "Extra Encounters (Main mod with required patches)

Started working a few more times and put some other mods on a

A bit later I discovered a few armor mods (NOT included in the Merged Armor mod) I recently installed started crashing exterior saves:

1. Lady Bat and Wjun Mix for CBBE
    2. Midnight Breed Outfit for CBBE

After disabling/deleting a few more mods, worked, activated a few armor mods, crashed, disabled those mods again, still crashed, even when starting a new game with Alternate start it crashed, like what?? I know it's kind of confusing but honestly I don't know how else to describe it. I will look at it again later today, and if any replies I'll keep you guys updated so I can possibly get this fixed. In the meantime, please post any ideas or questions to make finding a solution easier for me and you, this is my last resort before having to install all over again OR have to do a Skyrim run in which I have ONLY interior saves, that's no fun. :( Thank you!

Can you make a new game and save it, then, from that point on,  load the new game, and then load the save you really want to run?

If that is the case, the problem you describe  is a pretty common one.

Well my main point is that I can't load exterior saves anything interior loads fine. As for your idea (I use Alternate Start so it starts you off in a locked dungeon), I tried starting a new game, but the crash persisted after exiting Racemenu. :\ 

So I guess I don't understand.  If you use Alternate Start, it is starting in an interior cell.  However, you say that it crashes as soon as you exit Racemenu.  If that is the case, you care crashing in an interior cell too.  Is this an accurate depiction of what you are experiencing?

Okay; want you to try swapping profiles first, make a new profile with just alternate start and the bare necessities (racemenu, skyui, unoffical paches), and then get to an exterior, will it still crash then? Fastest method will probably use LAL to begin as camping in the woods.

Once we know if you still crash outside or not we can start narrowing down things. I also want you to activate Papyrus logging then go out, and post the log. Also what's your uGridstoLoad on, if they are higher than 5 that may be your problem. Also please post your Mod Organizer's generated list of mods that you are using, you can find this under Profiles. After that maybe we can help out, but for now I just don't have enough information to go on.

Thank you both for the replies. Alright...

Fishburger -

It only seems to be that one interior though... I can't tell if any others do it besides that and a few inns I started out with LAL (Riverwood and Falkreath) it's really odd that I would just randomly crash even though it's interior, which brings me to a thought... I have a few NPC mods installed, for example: Creepy Zombies, adds zombies to deep forests, plains, and from what I saw, dungeons which is not mentioned in the mod's description by the way. But if that was the issue, how would I have loaded without having to disable those extra NPC kind of mods in the first place, know what I mean? It's weird.

Sacremas -

Got it, new profile, loaded fine, no issues. I activated the mods you told me and it was good. I even exited out of my game, loaded it from the main menu like I was doing before, and it was fine. So this pretty much tells us that it is a mod, right?

Indeed it does, which is what we were looking for, otherwise it could have been a ugrids corruption or something corrupted with your game messign up the Skyrim exterior worldspace.

Okay please post the various mods and load order files in Mod Organizer, I'll go through them and tell you if I spot anything.

Easiest however is if you can remember when this happened, what was the last mod you added? If it was new mods you can find this out by opening the Mods directory in explorer and sort eveything by date, then you'll see what you added last and could have caused this. Try removing those one by one and going in and checking.

Also just to be sure, you have installed eveything through Mod Organizer, even SKSE plugins?

Hard to say when, I made the old dumb action of installing a ton of mods and testing it later, mainly because I was trying to make my game VERY similar to ning999's over on twitch tv. SKSE plug-ins were usually added manually, only plugin I see there now is Fuz Ro Doh, the other was installed through MO, called Memory Blocks Log. As for the latest mod I installed. It was Change Follower Outfits.  I'll add his and my mod lists in just a sec, and mine to this post in just a moment, I'll make sure to make mine neat and easy to look over... check back in a little bit, getting late so if need be check back whenever you can I suppose. 

What I was thinking, just cause I'm in the ready position to do so, maybe go through the mods on this new profile? Being that it's a brand new save entirely with little mods installed, I dunno. 

Edit: I activated those 2 armor mods I said were making the game crash in the new profile... loaded exterior and it worked fine just a heads up. Might be conflicts or something?

FILES HERE (.RTF):

Hard to say when, I made the old dumb action of installing a ton of mods and testing it later, mainly because I was trying to make my game VERY similar to ning999's over on twitch tv. SKSE plug-ins were usually added manually, only plugin I see there now is Fuz Ro Doh, the other was installed through MO, called Memory Blocks Log. As for the latest mod I installed. It was Change Follower Outfits.  I'll add his and my mod lists in just a sec, and mine to this post in just a moment, I'll make sure to make mine neat and easy to look over... check back in a little bit, getting late so if need be check back whenever you can I suppose. 

What I was thinking, just cause I'm in the ready position to do so, maybe go through the mods on this new profile? Being that it's a brand new save entirely with little mods installed, I dunno. 

Edit: I activated those 2 armor mods I said were making the game crash in the new profile... loaded exterior and it worked fine just a heads up. Might be conflicts or something?

FILES HERE:

Better if you make your attachments rtf files.  Everyone has a reader for that.  docx is a word specific file format and lots of people don't use word.

I actually need help I'm new to modding, so I was playing around with my NMM I installed mods but they didn't seem to work, I was trying some Sex stuff but my character & the npc had "sex" but there wasn't an animation. Also the NPCs were doing the awkward T-stance and my character did too whenever I would walk/run forward the sprint worked fine tho. I tried out some Hentai spells & the Hentai creature & my character were both arousel LVL 40 & no sex happened (I set the arousel cap very low btw) but it did work in the noon. But when I came home I fiddled with new mods & I came across the T-stance & no sex problem So I figured I might as well start from square1 so I uninstalked my mods in NMM including FNIS, SKSE, SKYui, UNPB REDUX, Sexlab, basically all my mods were uninstalled thru NMM. I reinstalled some mods strictly for my Character creation like XPMS27sheleton, unpb redux, apachii hair. now everytine I boot up I get a CTD almost instantly or some error code

Know any solutions :(?

~ thanks

I actually need help I'm new to modding, so I was playing around with my NMM I installed mods but they didn't seem to work, I was trying some Sex stuff but my character & the npc had "sex" but there wasn't an animation. Also the NPCs were doing the awkward T-stance and my character did too whenever I would walk/run forward the sprint worked fine tho. I tried out some Hentai spells & the Hentai creature & my character were both arousel LVL 40 & no sex happened (I set the arousel cap very low btw) but it did work in the noon. But when I came home I fiddled with new mods & I came across the T-stance & no sex problem So I figured I might as well start from square1 so I uninstalked my mods in NMM including FNIS, SKSE, SKYui, UNPB REDUX, Sexlab, basically all my mods were uninstalled thru NMM. I reinstalled some mods strictly for my Character creation like XPMS27sheleton, unpb redux, apachii hair. now everytine I boot up I get a CTD almost instantly or some error code

~ thanks

coolguy, I would really just go back to the first page and start over.  go step by step (do not install any sexlab items until you are done with this) until you feel comfortable that your install is stable.  Install the mods in order as suggested, and I think you will solve almost all the issues.  I would also encourage you to switch to MO instead of NMM.   It will take a little time to figure it out (I know I just did it myself) but in the end your game will be a lot more stable.   And sadly, it might require a re download of the game but sometimes its the only way to fix really badly overwritten game files.   There are people here who can help you a lot more then I can, but this guide really is awesome if you start from a clean game and turn it into a thing of modded glory :)  BTW, watch the linked videos, they are awesome and you will learn a ton about modding.

~ thanks

Download and run Tes5Edit on your entire load order.  You are likely missing a requirement.  Also, for the animaiton issue, make sure you run FNIS every time you install or uninstall a mod that has animaitons.

Nexus has blocked Ewi's High Skyprefs for now.  any alternates?  Getting tired of not being able to load a save so seeing if this helps.  After reading this i was surprized.  I was under the impression that i was never to TESedit ANY of the base skyrim files include the DLC

You always need to TES5Edit your base skyrim files to remove dirty edits, or you'll have tons of problems when you start modding. This goes for Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas as well.

I probably shouldn't be doing this but here's EWI's skyrim prefs, note that these are for ugrids 7 as that's what I'm using and I don't have the 5 version. Remember to edit in your heigth/with.

On the list of things I really didn't think would work but which actually did; open console, click a mannequin, type "sexchange", equip female armor, and it'll show your sexy armor just fine. Learn something new every day.

hello i get dc everytime i start new game and try open door on loadingscrean my papyrus look ok but this got lots of error 

hdtSkyrimMemPatch

[03/13/15 12:19:07]INFO: Queue OK
[03/13/15 12:19:07]INFO: SKSEPlugin_Load
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Fatal error occured
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Code : 0xc0000005
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Flag : 0x00000000
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Module : xŻ¸
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Address : 0x00a50a3d
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Module Address : 0x31854764
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: AccessViolation, try to read 0x4582fffd failed
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Call Stack (Skyrim ignored the frame pointer register (ebp) so it may not correct) :
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: TESV : 0x00a50a3d
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: TESV : 0x00a512a1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Thread local Havok memory heap:
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Temp memory allocator:0x01bb1904
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Temp memory allocated:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Temp memory in used:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Temp memory available:0
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Temp memory total available:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Temp memory largest block:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Heap memory allocator:0x01bb1904
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Heap memory allocated:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Heap memory in used:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Heap memory available:0
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Heap memory total available:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Heap memory largest block:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Debug memory allocator:0x01bb1904
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Debug memory allocated:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Debug memory in used:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Debug memory available:0
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Debug memory total available:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Debug memory largest block:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Solver memory allocator:0x01bb1904
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Solver memory allocated:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Solver memory in used:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Solver memory available:0
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Solver memory total available:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Solver memory largest block:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Minidump saved in hdtSkyrimMemPatch.dmp

any idea? something wrong with HDT ?

hello i get dc everytime i start new game and try open door on loadingscrean my papyrus look ok but this got lots of error 

hdtSkyrimMemPatch

[03/13/15 12:19:07]INFO: Queue OK
[03/13/15 12:19:07]INFO: SKSEPlugin_Load
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Fatal error occured
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Code : 0xc0000005
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Flag : 0x00000000
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Module : xŻ¸
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Address : 0x00a50a3d
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Module Address : 0x31854764
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: AccessViolation, try to read 0x4582fffd failed
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Call Stack (Skyrim ignored the frame pointer register (ebp) so it may not correct) :
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: TESV : 0x00a50a3d
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: TESV : 0x00a512a1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Thread local Havok memory heap:
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Temp memory allocator:0x01bb1904
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Temp memory allocated:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Temp memory in used:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Temp memory available:0
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Temp memory total available:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Temp memory largest block:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Heap memory allocator:0x01bb1904
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Heap memory allocated:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Heap memory in used:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Heap memory available:0
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Heap memory total available:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Heap memory largest block:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Debug memory allocator:0x01bb1904
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Debug memory allocated:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Debug memory in used:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Debug memory available:0
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Debug memory total available:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Debug memory largest block:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Solver memory allocator:0x01bb1904
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Solver memory allocated:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Solver memory in used:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Solver memory available:0
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Solver memory total available:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Solver memory largest block:-1
[03/13/15 12:20:20]ERROR: Minidump saved in hdtSkyrimMemPatch.dmp

any idea? something wrong with HDT ?

Ok looks like i know what its wrong i remove all my custom armor and clothes replacer and no dc

I'm glad you tracked them down because I have no idea what those errors are.

What's in your SKSE/Plugins directory? Also what armor was it that you had the errors on? HDT High Heel enabled one? I'm fairly certain I don't get those errors.

I'm glad you tracked them down because I have no idea what those errors are.

What's in your SKSE/Plugins directory? Also what armor was it that you had the errors on? HDT High Heel enabled one? I'm fairly certain I don't get those errors.

This log was from hdtSkyrimMemPatch and armor was RemodelArmor for SevenNBase Bombshell HDT Tbbp i use i have instaled new XP 23 skeleton and HDT and i just have Unoficial skyrim patches ,racemenu and AS that all 

sry for bad english :shy:

Ok back to dc looks like i got memory problem and any1 know what its it ? 

hdtPhysicsExtensions
[03/13/15 18:01:38]INFO: Queue OK
[03/13/15 18:01:38]INFO: System run with 8 threads
[03/13/15 18:01:38]INFO: Havok simulated world created.
[03/13/15 18:01:38]INFO: SKSEPlugin_Load
[03/13/15 18:01:51]INFO: Physics system loaded : Data\SKSE\Plugins\hdtm.xml
[03/13/15 18:01:51]INFO: Physics system loaded : skse\plugins\hdtm.xml
[03/13/15 18:01:51]INFO: Physics system loaded : SKSE\Plugins\hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml
[03/13/15 18:01:53]INFO: Cell changed...
[03/13/15 18:01:53]INFO: Add character 0001aa62
[03/13/15 18:01:53]INFO: Add character 0001aa64
[03/13/15 18:01:53]INFO: Add character 18940ddf
[03/13/15 18:01:53]INFO: Add character 00000014

Ok back to dc looks like i got memory problem and any1 know what its it ? 

hdtPhysicsExtensions
[03/13/15 18:01:38]INFO: Queue OK
[03/13/15 18:01:38]INFO: System run with 8 threads
[03/13/15 18:01:38]INFO: Havok simulated world created.
[03/13/15 18:01:38]INFO: SKSEPlugin_Load
[03/13/15 18:01:51]INFO: Physics system loaded : Data\SKSE\Plugins\hdtm.xml
[03/13/15 18:01:51]INFO: Physics system loaded : skse\plugins\hdtm.xml
[03/13/15 18:01:51]INFO: Physics system loaded : SKSE\Plugins\hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml
[03/13/15 18:01:53]INFO: Cell changed...
[03/13/15 18:01:53]INFO: Add character 0001aa62
[03/13/15 18:01:53]INFO: Add character 0001aa64
[03/13/15 18:01:53]INFO: Add character 18940ddf
[03/13/15 18:01:53]INFO: Add character 00000014

i got problem with setup memory

logging of blocks enabled
logging max values only
Timer disabled
Block1 Block2
256MB 256MB
85 8
85 8
85 9
85 10
85 11
85 12
85 13
85 14
85 15
85 16
85 17
85 18
85 19
85 20
85 21
85 22
85 23
85 24
85 25
85 26
85 27
85 28
85 29
85 30
85 31
85 32
85 33
85 34
85 35
85 36
85 37
85 38
85 39
85 40
85 41
85 42
85 43
85 44
85 45
85 46
85 47
85 48
85 49
85 50
85 51
85 52
85 53
85 54
85 55
85 56
85 57
85 58
85 59
85 60
85 61
85 62
85 63
85 64
85 65
85 66
85 67
85 68
85 69
85 70
85 71
85 72
85 73
85 74
85 75
85 76
85 77
85 78
85 79
85 80
85 81
85 82
85 83
85 84
85 85
85 86
85 87
85 88
85 89
85 90
85 91
85 92
85 93
85 94
85 95
85 96
85 97
85 98
85 99
85 100
85 101
85 102
85 103
85 104
85 105
85 106
85 107
85 108
85 109
85 110
85 111
85 112
85 113
85 114
85 115
85 116
85 117
88 117
120 117
120 118
120 119
120 120
120 121
121 121
122 121
123 121
124 121
125 121
126 121
127 121
127 122
128 122
129 122
130 122
131 122
132 122
133 122
134 122
135 122
136 122
137 122
137 123
138 123
139 123
140 123
140 124
141 124
142 124
143 124
144 124
145 124
146 124
147 124
148 124
149 124
150 124
156 124
165 124

i edid ini and alweys got 256 :dodgy:

Sorry, HDT magic is above my paygrade, I don't entirely know how that works, you're better off posting on the Nexus HDT site and see if anyone knows.

For the other, make sure you make your SKSE.ini and put in the numbers I said, much less crashes then. If you crash from main menu with 1024/365 try setting it down to 768/256 instead.