Fem Run Replacer - Fallout New Vegas

Just stopping by to say that I have the same issue as Sapiencer described in this post

Thanks for the confirmation. Damn me if only I could reproduce the issue... -_- I could only ask to double check the installation: install Thaunx BnB animations and check that in game everything is fine, then install these animations overwriting the previous files and check again in game.

Just stopping by to say that I have the same issue as Sapiencer described in this post

Thanks for the confirmation. Damn me if only I could reproduce the issue... -_- I could only ask to double check the installation: install Thaunx BnB animations and check that in game everything is fine, then install these animations overwriting the previous files and check again in game.

I tried vanilla animations and the BnB animations by Thaunx, both worked fine. As soon as I replace the files with yours, the footsteps go crazy and first person run speed is inreased. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2017 at 12:07 AM, A.J. said:

I came to this topic to express concern over the same issue.  Trust me, everyone is experiencing this, even if they feel they are not.  If you want to test for yourself, it's very simple: Find a decent stretch of land from A to B.  Time how long it takes to run it in third person.  Then do it again in first.  In my experience, with this running animation, first person is some 50% faster than it should be.  Yes, I also get rapid footsteps at the same time like she's sprinting.  No, I am not sprinting; I don't even use a mod that enables sprinting because I feel the ability violates the intended vanilla experience.

Now, here's the difference.  I have experience with bad 1st/3rd person speed discrepancies caused by animations.  Fallout 4 suffers from these to a very great degree.  I made a FO4 mod that tries its very best to account for FO4's endless speed problems.  It involves much SpeedMult trickery.  It is possible I may be able to do the same for NV.  Everything depends on the availability of useful functions in NVSE/JIP/whatever.  I believe this animation is absolutely indispensible so I will be making the effort to correct for its issue.

Alright.  A.J., after perusing your own "Behaviors" mod, it's clear to me that you have a perfectly solid understanding of what would need to be done to make this animation behave.  Much moreso than I do.

I have put together a small mod which checks for 1st/3rd and applies a modification (~3.15) to fMoveRunMult.  This puts first person mobility back in sync with 1st.  It does not solve the footsteps problem.  My mod also doesn't check for wielding, sneaking etc.  I stopped working on it when I recognized that modifications to speed multipliers don't even go into effect until one ducks, or wields their weapon, or something like that.  That is as far as I'm taking this mod because I don't know what to do about that inexplicable limitation.

But given what you have accomplished with your Behaviors mod, I think you know how it can be done.  That's what is needed, in a nutshell: First-person needs to be slowed down by a set amount.  My best calculation pegs it at 72% of normal.

I desperately want to play the game using your running animation because it is by far the most superior specimen in the history of the game.  But I can't do it when the animation is also causing first person to move ~40% too fast.

4 hours ago, Fredas said:

Alright.  A.J., after perusing your own "Behaviors" mod, it's clear to me that you have a perfectly solid understanding of what would need to be done to make this animation behave.  Much moreso than I do.

I have put together a small mod which checks for 1st/3rd and applies a modification (~3.15) to fMoveRunMult.  This puts first person mobility back in sync with 1st.  It does not solve the footsteps problem.  My mod also doesn't check for wielding, sneaking etc.  I stopped working on it when I recognized that modifications to speed multipliers don't even go into effect until one ducks, or wields their weapon, or something like that.  That is as far as I'm taking this mod because I don't know what to do about that inexplicable limitation.

But given what you have accomplished with your Behaviors mod, I think you know how it can be done.  That's what is needed, in a nutshell: First-person needs to be slowed down by a set amount.  My best calculation pegs it at 72% of normal.

I desperately want to play the game using your running animation because it is by far the most superior specimen in the history of the game.  But I can't do it when the animation is also causing first person to move ~40% too fast.

Hello, I think I'm actually using your mod in FO4.

I think I know where this speed thing comes out, however I never had a chance to make some intense tests. Truth is, I like the walk but I quite hate this run... -_-

There's a relationship between first and third person, and also some issues can / can't come out, I had some false positives when working with animgroups that leaded me on the wrong path more than once.

"I have put together a small mod which checks for 1st/3rd and applies a modification (~3.15) to fMoveRunMult." - maybe the best deal is Player.ModAV SpeedMult instead. Using a spell, also, probably would make things better when other mods try to do that (Behaviours progressive run is not the only case, my Stamina bar too, when you're tired it slows you down). You're right about the fact that these modifies don't affect the player, so you must trick them in causing some null damage, and this can't be done on the same frame or it won't work. Also, some redundancy of this operation will grant that it'll happen, because randomly it could not update correctly.

If you want to pick Behaviours or Stamina's scripts to do that, be my guest. But imho, the *real* solution would be redo the animations, or better making a full animation replacer, what I started to do but never finished due to lack of time and taste.

4 hours ago, A.J. said:

Truth is, I like the walk but I quite hate this run... -_-

That is surprising.  I think visually it's on par with vanilla in the sense that the body appears to move in a physically believable way, but it has BnB, and lacks the stiff-armed bob of the default BnB animation (and its derivatives, such a Bouncy and Busty, which was my go-to).

4 hours ago, A.J. said:

maybe the best deal is Player.ModAV SpeedMult instead.

It actually seems not.  Granted I'm only using your run and not the walk, but in any event, regular BnB walk does not share the speed discrepancy between 1st and 3rd, so making a universal change to the player's speed would impact non-running negatively.

4 hours ago, A.J. said:

Using a spell

I vaguely recall that there was a very good reason why I didn't use spells in the FO4 mod.  Some drastic limitation that made them worthless for the intended effect.  I see spells are how you handled the effect in your mod.  Do they eliminate the need to poke the player on the next frame?  Side-question: What exactly did you do to poke the player?  You mentioned hitting them with zero damage, or something to that effect.  I tried DamageAV Health 0 for grins but it didn't count.  (Edit: I see it's DamageAV LeftMobilityCondition.  Interesting discovery.)

4 hours ago, A.J. said:

Also, some redundancy of this operation will grant that it'll happen, because randomly it could not update correctly.

If you want to pick Behaviours or Stamina's scripts to do that, be my guest.

I admit I was sincerely hoping you'd be able to slap together a quick fix since you clearly have a much better grasp of the inner workings of NV GECK functions, and I barely have time to even play the game right now; this is an emergency measure because of how particularly important I deem your animation.

4 hours ago, A.J. said:

But imho, the *real* solution would be redo the animations

Oh, no doubt.  I have absolutely zero weight to throw around when it comes to the esoterica of animations, but I was flatly hoping that figuring out how to solve the speed problem (which apparently dings your walk animation as well, going by that thread's comments) would be as simple as brute-force duplicating whatever variables were used in vanilla / BnB etc.  Since every other animation replacer I've seen hasn't had this particular issue, it feels like it was just some overlooked variable.  But again, I haven't the slightest clue really.

I think if you pick a spell you need to make some check that everything's clean before uninstalling.

Anyway, my guess is that the right way to fix the speed wouldn't be with a script or a spell or whatever, but on the animation itself. I think that the cause of different speed is due to the fact that I used a different number of frames (there's a good 50% more frames), so the first thing I'd try is making the same with the 1st person one, and if it doesn't work I'd reduce the number of frames back to the vanilla value.

1 hour ago, A.J. said:

I think that the cause of different speed is due to the fact that I used a different number of frames (there's a good 50% more frames), so the first thing I'd try is making the same with the 1st person one, and if it doesn't work I'd reduce the number of frames back to the vanilla value.

That sounds like it could be exactly what's going on.  Fits like a glove!  Sad that a different frame density would trip up the game engine.  That would be awesome to have a solution to this.

Now I'm suddenly wondering if the same problem is the cause behind some of FO4's woes...

I really though that vanilla animations had a too small amount of frames, that's why I increased them. If putting a first person animation with the same increased amount won't solve, well... that'll be a very big limitation, not many tools in our hands to make a better work... Can't promise anything on the time needed, but I'll add that on the to-do list...

On 8/14/2018 at 6:20 AM, A.J. said:

Can't promise anything on the time needed, but I'll add that on the to-do list...

Obviously an animation fix would be, as you say, the true fix for this.  But I did put together a mod in the interim.  I've been using it for a few days and haven't ran into any issues yet.  Seeing that decidedly more feminine run in the game always makes me happy.

I'll post it here for whoever wants it.  Keep in mind that nothing is assumed about the walk animation and there has been no attempt to correct for that animation replacer on top of this.

FemRunReplacerSpeedFix.7z

• 1 year later...

I know people are extremely unlikely to notice this, but whatever.  This running (jogging) animation is still, by far, the best feminine run I've seen in FO3/NV.  Obviously it has a speed discrepancy.  I still use that mod I slapped together to make it function well, but I've since tidied it up to account for swimming, broken legs and the like.  So, for posterity's sake, here's the updated version:

FemRunReplacerSpeedFix.7z

• 1 year later...