The good movies thread

Myst42

Guest Mogie56

In no particular order.

Anything with Vincent Price (when I was small "The Tingler" scared the shit out of me., Boris Carloff, Lon Chaney Jr. Anything made by Alfred Hitchcock,. C.H.U.D, Cujo, The Car, Alien series, Predator series, Zombieland, Resident Evil series. UltraViolet, Bourne series, Rambo 1 only, Old Yeller,  Because of it's utter stupidity "Attack of the killer tomatoes", War of the Worlds, The Thing, Body Snatchers, Scanners, Army of Darkness, Shaun of the dead Hilarious. Loved "Angus Scrimm" in Phantasm who just passed away Jan 9 2016 age 89. RIP Tall man.

• 1 year later...

I recently saw Duck, You Sucker!

Gotta love Steiger and Coburn. Expecially the chemistry between them.

I also really dig the melancholic vibe that movie has, capturing the beautiful but hopeless dreams and the drama in the history of Mexico pretty well.

Mainly I just wanted to revive this thread though. I'm curious for more recommendations since I really love movies and the escapism they provide.

Mainly I just wanted to revive this thread though. I'm curious for more recommendations since I really love movies and the escapism they provide.

If you like sci-fi, check out the movie Young Ones: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2693664/

Pretty much what I'd picture a more low-key Fallout movie to look like. Has a good little story on it's own and has some pretty filmography.

I tried to impress a nice but very nervous person at a party with a movie title, "the barefoot contessa", and she brightened up for a second when she thought I'd actually seen it.  But when I finally did it was a pretty good movie. Humphrey Bogart. I liked it tons better than "Casablanca" or the sled movie Rosebud Kane.

But I had the actress wrong (It was not Sophia Loren, says wikipedia) and most people think it's a cooking show.

But it was about a movie-scout who finds an ingénue, uh, and it's pretty much a tragedy.

"The apartment" with Jack Lemmon is a nice guy getting creamed by his superiors. He falls for a girl who is in love with his boss.

But when people ask, I say

"Zardoz" with sean Connery,

"creator" with Peter oToole,

A trilogy of movies with Clint eastwood (fist full of dollars et al)

and "Excalibur" with Helen Mirren.

Those movies don't get old, even though they ARE old, you prolly weren't born yet.

I'm the only guy in the universe who liked "Beaches", but that was mostly for the music.

I wanted to ask someone if they'd seen the latest "through the looking glass" adaptation.

Critics hate it so I would probably adore it, but I've been putting off buying it in favor of food and other necessities.

Tons of lesser movies,

I forgot most of them.

Anthony Quinn in anything (but especially as the pope)

I noticed you liked "what dreams may come".

The movie was priceless, and Fisher King and Awakenings were good too.

My favorite scenes if I had to choose were the picnic in italy and the daughter telling her asian-stewardess story.

So anyway yeah, about that Alice movie, did anyone like it?

I got lost in thought writing this and I just know I've forgotten my most favorite movie of all time, whatever it was. 

Just watched La La Land

Incredible movie, the musical parts were extremely catchy and nice, all of them. Which is pretty rare for musicals.

And towards the end it also had a quite interesting twist and message.

Basically:

You can't have it all, you have to decide what is most important to you, which dream comes first.

Movies rarely acknowledge that simple fact of life.

Well, I have a huge crush on Emma Stone anyway so yeah ...  :wub:

And I also visited a jazz bar a few times and can confirm that this kind of music is just awesome if the band is skilled and has fun with what they are doing. Too bad nobody can dance to it, that skill seems to have died out.

• 2 weeks later...

So I watched John Wick 2 last week.

And I don't know but I'm disappointed. Critics say that it being more of the same crazy gun kung fu action is a good thing.

I expected that, sure, but these scenes dragged on forever and by the end of the movie I was quite bored tbh. Nearly fell asleep too.

Too many guns, too much time spent on shooting extras in the head.

Add to that a paper thin story that just regurgitates the stuff from the first part without any original new spin on it. Meh.

Don't get me wrong, the movie wasn't bad. Just too much of the same again. And while some of the action was great a lot of it was very pedestrian too.

Also towards the end I wanted to punch someone in the face every time these assassin guild guys started to speak to each other all gentleman-like.

And I loved the first part, great movie with a refreshing lack of morals. I guess I'm just no fan of sequels.

Good movies that aren't legendary, huh...? So, mentioning Jurassic Park, Princess Bride, Ghostbusters, or Jaws is out since everyone knows they're amazing?

Let's see...

Bladerunner

Ladyhawke

Gattaca

The Fugitive

Eurotrip

Glory

Key Largo

Enter the Dragon

Seven Samurai

Zoro the Gay Blade

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

There's a lot of them. Give me time, I'll come up with some others.

A little gem of a movie called Consuming Passions.  Dark comedy from Britain about a candy company that accidentally adds a "human element" to their chocolate which then (of course) becomes a big seller across the country.  Third movie I ever saw with Jonathan Pryce (First 2 were "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and the brilliant "Brazil").  Michael Palin and Terry Jones (Month Python) wrote the original TV play (called "Secrets") that the movie was based on.

• 2 weeks later...

to watch forever list:

LOTR Trilogy

Saving Private Ryan

Band of Brothers

The Last of the Mohicans

The Last Samurai

Leon the Professional

Seven

Fight Club

The Patriot

The Dark Knight Trilogy

Inception

Interstellar

Apocalypse Now

The Rock

The Pianist

Kagemusha

Seven Samurai

The Longest Day

Gladiator

Hannibal

Silence of The Lambs

Blade Runner (The old one)

Star Wars Episodes 4, 5 and 6...

recently watched Split, Hacksaw Ridge and Silence...two of those starring that Garfield guy who was spider man...and I'm surprised he can really act...

Asian cinema:

Cold Fish

The Brain Man

Confessions

The Host (2006)

Audition

Everything that was already listed (plus Lady Vengeance)

Thrillers:

The Tall Man (Really unique... this is more than a thriller and there is nothing like it; directed by Pascal Laugier who directed Martyrs).

The Invitation (netflix)

Prisoners

Enemy

Nightcrawler

The Nines

Stay (2005)

Chained

Teenage Cocktail (netflix)

Single White Female

Vampire

Horror:

The Awakening

The Reflecting Skin

Absentia

Oculus

Cube (also sci fi but it's more horrifying)

Sci Fi:

Dante 01

Eden Log

Tykho Moon

L'Immortel

Timecrimes

Coherence

Primer

Red Lights

Straight up Weird:

Holy Motors

ExistenZ

Salo

If...

Delicatessen

Tokyo Gore Police

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus

• 3 weeks later...

Next to movies like Avatar and The Martian which are satirizing on less science fictional aspects of the world of today, Halliburton's Iraq War and the American Conquest of Space, I've seen but one movie I'd call good in its overall, probably realistic and thus frightening approach to modern mankind hidden behind the downplaying curtain of Hollywood's SF - The Matrix. Since I saw it as a little girl I'm waiting for a Captain Wonderful aka Neo to come forth to save us all, knowing that most likely he will never ever come. Left alone in an illusive matrix of sorts I'm still looking for ways to unplug myself from that tax battery shit, the political déjà-vus and all the frakkin', repetitive lies pulled over my eyes to make me blind for a truth I can just guess in the mist. Trinity, huh? I'm Roman Catholic and understand.

Archived