[3ds Max] [Skyrim] Video: Animation Tutorial

I know it supposedly has .kf import, but it doesn't export yet.

In all honesty i shoulda just gone with Blender by now, i'm more trying to figure this thing out because of the principal of the matter, this thing's being a sassy pain in the ass and i won't have that :P. Especially since i'm lazy and don't wanna have to give up this convenient controller rig, unless there's already one for Blender or it's easy enough to get by without one.

Oh god, Blender is all the way horribad to work with. I've seen people rip on 3DS Max, but i'm thinking they haven't tried Blender. My brain ;-;.

Yeah, definitely holding out for Blabba-senpai to save us all here :v.

EDIT: He's gotten .kf exporting more or less working. Did some testing, might be narrowing down the problem, but i can wait until tomorrow to continue, been dealing with this all day as it is.

I'm getting this error when I start 3ds max (after installing Havok tools, nif import/export scripts and that PEN thing):

1Hyoy.jpg

When I open rig controller it asks me something about Gamma:

1deSG.jpg

Then I get missing textures error (is this even relevant at this stage?)

iCFE5.jpg

Also I get this error when I click on Havok Content Tools on toolbar:

4nIy7.jpg

Anyway, created my first animation, great tutorial!!

ready.gif

I'm getting this error when I start 3ds max (after installing Havok tools, nif import/export scripts and that PEN thing):

1Hyoy.jpg

I think I get this error from HCT. You can click through this without issue.

When I open rig controller it asks me something about Gamma:

1deSG.jpg

I changed my Max gamma to match my color settings. Use your system gamma if you want. Doesn't matter for animation.

Then I get missing textures error (is this even relevant at this stage?)

iCFE5.jpg

Doesn't matter for animation. Remnant of XP32's skeleton resource. I should eventually clean the materials from the scene file.

Also I get this error when I click on Havok Content Tools on toolbar:

4nIy7.jpg

I've never seen this warning before.

Grats on your animation.

• 2 weeks later...

While trying to open one of the provided 3ds files it shows me an error:

Missing Dlls

FileName: Scripted Plugin Class: PEN_Attribute Holder 2 Super Class: 0x810

Dll Description

Scripted Plugin

Tried around if i´m atlesat able to move/rotate the bones on the mesh didnt really worked either shoulder was moveable but well it seemed all wrong somehow like not attached to the mesh etc.

While trying to open one of the provided 3ds files it shows me an error:

Missing Dlls

FileName: Scripted Plugin Class: PEN_Attribute Holder 2 Super Class: 0x810

Dll Description

Scripted Plugin

Tried around if i´m atlesat able to move/rotate the bones on the mesh didnt really worked either shoulder was moveable but well it seemed all wrong somehow like not attached to the mesh etc.

Did you install PEN_Attribute Holder 2?

Have you read the Usage section and understand the concepts of FK/IK? The rig default behavior is IK and so some controllers have no effect. If this is not your case, post screenshot of what you're trying for.

Can you move the red foot controller?

Hey so I made an animation using the M+F controller, how do I separate them so I can export them?

Just delete one of the rigs from the scene and export as normal. Reload scene, delete other rig and export again.

post-8195-0-58769000-1437599177_thumb.jpg

As far as editing custom animations,this rig doesn't support it. However, the process is something like this:

Method 1:

-Using hkxcmd, convert custom hkx file into kf so that you can import the animation.

-kf file must then be imported onto a vanilla skeleton from which you can edit the animation.

Importing .kf file(key framed + forward kinematic) onto the controller rig(which is IK, inverse kinematic) will get unusual results.

Method 2:

Perhaps the easiest way to edit an animation is if you had access to the source animation. Ask Leito, Mitos or Rydin if they're willing to share their source files.

-Using your rig  can I use splines and the noise controller?

I mean to combine the keys(after COLLAPSE)from the different controllers.

-And how can I push a collision box (in animation) for actor?

-Maximum save the keys (up to 300 fps) in .hkx file.(This is to ensure that the feet do not twitch, with a very long animations (2500 frames, for example, dance animation i mean)

-Maximum save the keys (up to 300 fps) in .hkx file.(This is to ensure that the feet do not twitch, with a very long animations (2500 frames, for example, dance animation i mean)

Use splines for pathing? yea. The rig itself doesn't use any spline IKs. You'll have to set them up yourself if you want spline IK behavior.

Noise controller through curve editor/dope sheet:

post-8195-0-20477100-1437862758_thumb.jpg

For 2012, Max use MassFX for collision. I think 2010 uses Reactor. People use Havok for HDT so maybe that's usable too?

First simulate the collision then you can edit the animation.

post-8195-0-76781600-1437863049_thumb.jpg

Not sure what you mean:

"Maximum save the keys (up to 300 fps) in .hkx file."

frames per second?

Use splines for pathing? yea. The rig itself doesn't use any spline IKs. You'll have to set them up yourself if you want spline IK behavior.

Noise controller through curve editor/dope sheet:

attachicon.gifnoise.JPG

For 2012, Max use MassFX for collision. I think 2010 uses Reactor. People use Havok for HDT so maybe that's usable too?

First simulate the collision then you can edit the animation.

attachicon.gifcollision.JPG

Not sure what you mean:

"Maximum save the keys (up to 300 fps) in .hkx file."

frames per second?

Thanks for answer. Yes 300 frames per second (30x10 this is for splines - to have more of vertices in figures or to have more IK iteration). I noticed, that by the exporter, which I use, the animation is simplified .

Thanks for answer. Yes 300 frames per second (30x10 this is for splines - to have more of vertices in figures or to have more IK iteration). I noticed, that by the exporter, which I use, the animation is simplified .

How are you exporting? HCT?

Might be related to what you're doing: Exporting as frames per second will get data loss. Instead use FRAMES:TICKS(4800 ticks per second).

I remember reading about this. Can't find the source at the moment.

post-8195-0-99644400-1437916223_thumb.jpg

This applies to HCT export.

How are you exporting? HCT?

Might be related to what you're doing: Exporting as frames per second will get data loss. Instead use FRAMES:TICKS(4800 ticks per second).

I remember reading about this. Can't find the source at the moment.

attachicon.gifticks.JPG

This applies to HCT export.

Hmmm... using the the RSV exporter and rig

http://casualmods.net/Tutorials/ExportAnim.html

for two games at once or convert dance animation from MMD).

Frames or FRAMES:TICKS, what's the difference? 

Hmmm... using the the RSV exporter and rig

http://casualmods.net/Tutorials/ExportAnim.html

for two games at once or convert dance animation from MMD).

Frames or FRAMES:TICKS, what's the difference? 

I don't remember exact details. For example, using Frames exporting a 30 fps animation will actually result in a 29.7 fps animation instead.

Using FRAMES:TICKS apparently fixes this. Again, this is for HCT. Don't know about other exporters.

Yay, more problems :P.

For a start, the elbow controllers have 0 IK/FK blend off the bat, so moving them does nothing to the body. Setting it to 100 fixes that, so that's fine, it's just an issue to bring up is all, it's been that way from the start but i figured it out soon enough. It might just because i'm on 2014 and something's different, i don't know :v.

Main issue i wanna bring up is that the arm controllers are not linked to the skeleton for me. I can move and pose the controllers just fine, moves the body meshes just fine, but the actual skeleton nodes are untouched. All the other nodes work fine, it's just the arms that are borked. How would i go about fixing this?

Yay, more problems :P.

For a start, the elbow controllers have 0 IK/FK blend off the bat, so moving them does nothing to the body. Setting it to 100 fixes that, so that's fine, it's just an issue to bring up is all, it's been that way from the start but i figured it out soon enough. It might just because i'm on 2014 and something's different, i don't know :v.

Main issue i wanna bring up is that the arm controllers are not linked to the skeleton for me. I can move and pose the controllers just fine, moves the body meshes just fine, but the actual skeleton nodes are untouched. All the other nodes work fine, it's just the arms that are borked. How would i go about fixing this?

Sounds like you were trying to use the FK bones while in IK mode. When IF/FK Blend = 0, the arms are in IK mode and driven fully by the IK controller.

post-8195-0-28008000-1438214927_thumb.jpg

I'm not understanding what you're trying to describe in your second statement. Are the arm meshes moving? If so, the arm bones are also being driven. Best if you post a pic of your problem.

-snip

The animation as it's meant to appear, note the skeleton's arms in red in the default t-pose.

ZdHSx5d.png

The animation as it appears when saved and reloaded, this especially gave it away. Arms snap back to the skeleton's position.

bn8DpDn.png

For whatever reason, only the body mesh is linked to the arm controllers, not the arm skeleton nodes. And the body mesh is not linked to the arm nodes either, if i move the arm nodes the body does nothing, only the controllers move the body arms.

Those are not the actual skeleton bones. Those are IK/FK bones used to drive the actual arm bones. The actual skeleton is in the Bones_ layer:

post-8195-0-98160400-1438220319_thumb.jpg

Your first picture shows an arm pose using FK bones.

Use IK/FK blend in Custom Attributes and drag it's value down to zero. The arms will move towards the IK controller.

Your second picture shows the arms using the IK bones.

Use IK/FK blend in Custom Attributes and drag it's value up to 100. The arms will move towards the FK controllers.

Check your IK/FK blend in the before and after pic on the same frames. You've keyed the IK/FK blend value into your animation timeline somewhere.

To check and fix this:

Highlight any arm controller(not bone), right click, Curve Editor, click IK/FK blend. In the pic below,  there is an IK/FK Blend value at frame 0(value 0) and frame 70(value 100).

post-8195-0-67139400-1438223003_thumb.jpg

To fix this to use only FK bones, you would delete the key at frame 0. The pic below shows a key at frame 70 with a value of 100. Or full FK mode.

post-8195-0-22552200-1438223102_thumb.jpg

I hope this explanation was not too technical for you.

Start a new and clean practice animation using only the IK controller (pink cross at the hand). Move and rotate it around. You can achieve much faster poses than FK this way.

Alrighty, possibly final question. Should i be on on HCT 2011.3 specifically, or 2011.3.1?

Nevermind, works with 2011.3 so i'm not bothered with checking 3.1 :v. After all these damned weeks, i've finally got everything working. Max 2012, HCT 2011.3, bam.

First working animation. Don't mind the left hand clipping, i didn't bother accounting for my HDT, it was just more of a learning thing while i was getting everything working.

2OhspOO.png