Fixing Skeleton Deformations (Crushed/Torpedo Breasts etc...)

blabba

Alright.  I think I 'got it'.  I manually snapped each 'skin envelop' to its corresponding bone (LClf to LClf, etc.).  However, when I export, it just exports the skin/mesh.  It doesn't export the skeleton with it.  Fortunately, I saved the whole thing as a .MAX so it would pull it all up and I wouldn't have to snap it together for literally the 6th time.

But I have no idea what i'm doing from here.

But at least the model warps when I move a bone.

Here's my .Max save file.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=76570649161936757343

Alright.  I think I 'got it'.  I manually snapped each 'skin envelop' to its corresponding bone (LClf to LClf, etc.).  However, when I export, it just exports the skin/mesh.  It doesn't export the skeleton with it.  Fortunately, I saved the whole thing as a .MAX so it would pull it all up and I wouldn't have to snap it together for literally the 6th time.

But I have no idea what i'm doing from here.

But at least the model warps when I move a bone.

Here's my .Max save file.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=76570649161936757343

can't look at it right now, but you really shouldn't be needing to do the skinwraps.

This is really a simple process, you import skeleton, import a body without the skeleton box checked, go to it's skin modifier untick/re-tick always deform and then re-export.

I have no idea why this is getting more complicated than that for you unless you have a weird nif plugin that isn't working correctly.

can't look at it right now, but you really shouldn't be needing to do the skinwraps.

This is really a simple process, you import skeleton, import a body without the skeleton box checked, go to it's skin modifier untick/re-tick always deform and then re-export.

I have no idea why this is getting more complicated than that for you unless you have a weird nif plugin that isn't working correctly.

I completely agree that it should be a simple process, and i've followed the steps, but it doesn't fix anything.  To make matters even worse, FNIS keep referring to a 'skeleton.nif', when I run the animations, which I don't have.

Trust me...I'm frustrated to the point of pulling out my hair, but I'm really determined to make this work.

Any advice you have or if you could rig up a working skeleton/mesh for me based on the specifications I request, and then tell me how to install it so it shows up in game..

...I mean, I would be indebted.

I completely agree that it should be a simple process, and i've followed the steps, but it doesn't fix anything.  To make matters even worse, FNIS keep referring to a 'skeleton.nif', when I run the animations, which I don't have.

Trust me...I'm frustrated to the point of pulling out my hair, but I'm really determined to make this work.

Any advice you have or if you could rig up a working skeleton/mesh for me based on the specifications I request, and then tell me how to install it so it shows up in game..

...I mean, I would be indebted.

if you send me the mesh and the skeleton via pm I can take a look at it and at the very least make you the max scene file for you.

Course, I'm not at home so it'd take awhile.

So I tried exactly what you put in your second to last post just to see if I was over thinking it, and it didn't work.

I still have the same problem.

Thanks for your help.  I'll send you the mesh and the skeleton.

Also, just a question, would I put the finished result in my Mod Organizer folder or my Skyrim Data folder?

Also, would it screw me up if I ran FNIS to update the animations?

What version of the nif export/import plugin are most using for this? I'm currently using 3.72 of Figment's plugin version (off Nexus) on 3DS Max 2012 x64. Following the tutorial worked great for making a SevenBase Natural TBBP body I've been using compatible with version 2.06 of the skeleton. However, I had to manually fix the shaders in nifskope afterwards. I imagine this may have something to do with my nif plugin/ 3DS max combination.

What version of the nif export/import plugin are most using for this? I'm currently using 3.72 of Figment's plugin version (off Nexus) on 3DS Max 2012 x64. Following the tutorial worked great for making a SevenBase Natural TBBP body I've been using compatible with version 2.06 of the skeleton. However, I had to manually fix the shaders in nifskope afterwards. I imagine this may have something to do with my nif plugin/ 3DS max combination.

AFAIK

None of the nif plugins put the correct stuff for the textures.

Though their might be trick to it or something that I just haven't figured out (like assigning a bitmap material in 3dsmax with the correct filepath or something)

AFAIK

None of the nif plugins put the correct stuff for the textures.

Though their might be trick to it or something that I just haven't figured out (like assigning a bitmap material in 3dsmax with the correct filepath or something)

Yep, I tried that and no luck. Really not that huge of a deal though...just adds a step to the process. Thanks for this great tutorial! I didn't realize the fix was that easy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to mention that the newest version of bodyslide already has the new XPMS 2.0+ versions, so all you have to do to convert the old skeletons is merely open up the old mesh and export it again, and it'll update to the new skeletons. Of course you gotta do this for all the body / torso meshes.

At least, that's how I fixed my 7BO body for those weird breast shapes I was getting :D

i am having some errors with 3ds max 2014.

having problem with step 6. an error pops up when i press skin to edit advanced settings.

2iwahqp.png

also having problems with exporting, no idea what im doing wrong.

2rxy0ko.png

will i need some extra program? (already got nif export and import)

I basically reposted on this topic, didn't know about this post and of course found it later.

I'd like to point out, tho, that all the people reasking this same question

1. don't follow modding beyond NMM and "install here"
  2. think that THEY did something wrong
  3. have no idea what search terms to use

In other words, i'm trying to remind you that the guy who asked this question yesterday is a completely different entity from the guy that was an asshat about it back in April. 

And, as a reminder to everyone else reading this... this kind of incessant repetition is exactly what you get when documentation that sucks. This problem hasn't been documented with the base mod, and it's a constant question. I'm going to document it, and instances of this question will abate sharply... watch.

(Tip: I HATE shitty docs and this shitty doc is my own fault)

Outfit Studio Way:

Requires a pre-configured 'Weight Template' Mesh (You can make them in 3dsmax/Blender)
(The mesh is already confirmed working correctly with the skeleton in-game)

Would you please refine this a bit? Rephrase?

Outfit Studio Way:

Requires a pre-configured 'Weight Template' Mesh (You can make them in 3dsmax/Blender)

It basically means you already have a correctly weighted and fixed mesh, which you would have had to create in 3dsMax or Blender initially anyway.

Outfit Studio Way:

It basically means you already have a correctly weighted and fixed mesh, which you would have had to create in 3dsMax or Blender initially anyway.

so like everything else with skyrim nifs/models, "a known working version" to copy from.

Are there any public known working versions that you know of?

Newest updated BodySlide has fixed meshes included in it.

I tried a rebuild and it didn't fix the problem. Using all their defaults to build the body and 1 outfit (for test) and then xpmse in game, problem persists.

You don't just rebuild it, you have to go through OS and replace the meshes with the new body mesh and re-weight it....

That's what the guides steps were for...

Well im having a fun problem, I have 3dsMax 2010 with the NifTools plugin, and im using XPMSE 2.05, I can follow your instructions as you said (except i cant find a femalebody.nif so I used femalebody_1.nif instead) I can alter the body mesh by moving the skeleton and I did the untick/tick steps, but doing that gave me no graphical update, the breasts just stayed crushed. Now when I go in-game there are no females and when I zoom out the camera falls down to the floor and I can't see my character.

I attached some images that show the settings when I import and export so any help is very appreciated.

Skeleton Import Settings:

attachicon.gifSkeletonImportSettings.JPG

Body Mesh Import Settings:

attachicon.gifBodyMeshImportSettings.JPG

What I see after importing them: (sorry for wide image)

attachicon.gifAfterImportingBodyMesh.JPG

What I see after untick and tick of Always Deform: (sorry again)

attachicon.gifAfterTogglingAlwaysDeform.JPG

Export Settings: (exported and overwrite skeletonfemale.nif, I did play around with different combinations of skeleton only and the flatten settings)

attachicon.gifExportSettings.JPG

If you don't understand what I mean by camera to the floor when I zoom out I hope this helps.

attachicon.gifTESV 2014-08-15 15-34-59-17.jpg

EDIT: I kept messing with it and now I get this, better than a CTD.

attachicon.gifTESV 2014-08-15 15-47-04-23.jpg

attachicon.gifTESV 2014-08-15 15-47-13-55.jpg

When I did mine I did both the femalebody_0.nif and the femalebody_1.nif. I think they both need to be done because those two are used to make the body adjustable the 0.nif being the smallest and the 1.nif being the largest size. These are merged together to make the inbetween sizes.

People keep bringing this up, and I'm appalled by how much this stuff has to get repeated.

So I'm writing (another) guide so that it doesn't need to get repeated, but instead just linked.

The experienced of us can now just link this thread when questions like these come up:

"I have torpedo breasts, plz help"

"My torso is a different size!"

"My body just exploded"

"I didn't read the description but I'm going to ask for help anyway and make it painfully obviously clear I didn't read it in my please help post"

Purpose:

You get inside game and find your body (or any weighted mesh) does not look as advertised. Their are crushed breasts, or torpedo breasts. Extended leg sizes, tweaked torso's etc...

Bottom line is you didn't get the 'As Advertised' pics in your game.

3dsMax:

Step 1. Load 3dsMax

(Optional) Step 1a. Download the attached Max scene file, and open it up in 3dsMAX (double click). It contains XPMSE 2+ scales and will ONLY fix your mesh deformations if you are using XPMSE 2+ skeleton from groovtama! Skip Steps 2 & 3 if you do this.

Step 2. Navigate and find your skeletonfemale.nif

Step 3. Load skeletonfemale.nif into 3dsMax with skeleton option ticked on (Tick off collisions and camera importing options)

Note: Regardless of what method you chose, your final screen should look something like this where the objects are identified as bones and NOT dummies!

0ss35dm.gif

Step 4. Load your body mesh (femalebody.nif) into 3dsMax, keep the skeleton option ticked OFF

kxsnOYc.png

(Optional) Step 5. Inside your 3dsmax scene, double check that when you move a bone, it deforms the mesh along with it.

Step 6. Select your body mesh, and select it's skin modifier

wQBOCEs.gif

Step 7. Under advanced options, untick the 'always deform' option

Step 8. Re-tick the always deform option

VgAWYV8.png

Step 9. Re-export

Step 10. Check your mesh in Nifskope to set textures correctly!

Outfit Studio Way:

1. Move your installed skeletonfemale.nif to your Bodyslide's /res folder. Rename it to anything you want (ex: newskeletonfemale.nif)

2. Open bodyslide config.xml, edit the Animation line that points to skeleton your new skeleton.

1. Load template mesh as reference

2. Load actual body mesh

3. Select body mesh on the right hand side

4. Select 'Copy all weights'

5. Export

Gerra6's Mesh Rigger:

Coming soon, doing some tests with and all that jazz.

Blender:

I don't use blender, but if a blender user could contribute the steps for a fix like this, it would be most appreciated.

Causes of this problem:

90% of armour modders, body modders and people who generally model don't know exactly how skeletons or 'rigging/skinning' works.

Or they are used to a more advanced form where their exporters can take care of the fixes/mistakes that most commonly occur.

Lots of people have come out and made custom skeletons that have changed the bone positions, or changed the scales of these bones.

Which in turn cause other modders to weigh it to these custom scales and positions. Which when your using the same EXACT skeleton that you used when weighting the mesh, in-game it will look fine.

But if your using a DIFFERENT skeleton, than what you used when weighting the skeleton, and this different skeleton has a changed scale, or moved bone, that's when you get the distortions.

The most infamous is the "vanilla" XPMS skeleton, TBBP bones were moved, Scales were changed all over the place and many other really bad things were done to it. Things that got popular amongst the masses (mod users). Now luckily most modders took 1 look at the skeleton and saw it was a convoluted mess and stuck with weighting/rigging/skinning with original vanilla skeletons. Or less complicated skeletons.

So in essence, when you rig something, it's best to try to rig it to vanilla, OR find a skeleton that keeps vanilla scales and positions (like the new BETA XPMSE Skeleton) unfortunately this causes a problem in that stuff weighted with the old XPMS skeleton become 'broken'.

After I do these steps and load Skyrim the bodies are pitch black

Archived