Megaupload is gone!

Sounds like that which shall not be named(already mentioned in this thread) will be coming back into fashion pretty soon. And well, the ARRRRRRrrrrr bay I mean pirate bay is moving to magnets too. Seems like the more the media companies and governments shoot, the more that people find ways to obfuscate and hide.

Well now Filesonic and Fileserve have restricted files downloads to only files you have personally uploaded. I guess they got scared after MU went down. Those are the only sites I know of at this moment. RS and MF seems to have not changed yet. But who knows when they will also follow suite.

Just an idea, but isn't hammering Kim Schmitz, (shame on lily-livered NZ for kow-towing to the Feds), for "piracy" a bit like arresting the boss of a major airline for smuggling if drug mules get caught?

True. The meat of the indictment is that MU were complicit or complacent, (but they seem to have played by the accepted rules, dodgy links were cut on complaint), and that they materially gained (presumably from premium rates, I never gave them a cent).

How succesfully have airlines prevented drug smuggling? Do you see calls for the airlines to be taken down because of this failure? And I take it that most of the criminals that habitually use airlines have paid for their tickets (even if with someone else's money).

In what other business do you get away with arresting the conduit rather than the criminal?

This is the act of people who aim to stop drug smuggling by closing the airlines.

What about the vast majority of legitimate passengers?

You know what, I think that they just don't like the idea of people flying at all.

PS. The sheer viciousness of the attack on such flimsy grounds leads me to wonder if Kim has upset LEA by failing to cooperate/collude in one of their less than legal schemes.

If so he's only lucky that nobody was paid to say that he raped them.

A little intellectual honesty would be welcome in this thread.

He's more like an airport than an airline. An airport that doesn't screen its passengers in any manner at all, just show up and get on a plane. If you take a kilo of coke on board and get caught, naughty you, but you can come back tomorrow and try again.

Also, in this airport, the majority of people are coke smugglers, not legitimate passengers.

Except that at this airport, it serves international customers. And those international customers have laws that apply cross different jurisdictions. And as such, the laws of my nation don't apply to the ones in yours, or theirs, or in other places. Making that, what's illegal in one place, not illegal in another, and in other places, a civil issue, or not even a crime at all, because they already pay for the right to do this via a levy, or remittance tax. Or because various parts of their own laws fall into grey areas.

And in this case, one country decided that it would reach extra-territorially to take someone on the basis that they're violating their laws, rather then try them in the nation which they're from.