Megaupload is gone!

Ye, SOPA/PIPA is not thru "yet". Megaupload was shutdown without it.

http://rt.com/usa/news/megaupload-shut-million-authorities-231/

But that's just an example of what's going to happen if it does...

Btw, anon strikes back http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-universal-sopa-235/ :D

And i'm sure many have noticed the blackout day with many big sites like wiki, google etc... which are against it.

Let's just hope this doesnt go live or we gonna have dark times ahead of us.

... More and more do I feel ashamed of being an American...

I've felt ashamed of being American ever since that arab terrorist bastard barack obama got elected. When I wear my "Proud to be an American" t-shirt, I feel like I'm lying. If he gets re-elected, I just might burn that shirt. He's been ruining the country since he was a senator, and poor George W. Bush, being the face on TV at the time was the one blamed. bin laden may have been killed on obama's watch, but it was under Bush's order! I am an American, and I love my country, but there could hardly be anyone more angry at the US government than me.

I've felt ashamed of being American ever since that arab terrorist bastard barack obama got elected. When I wear my "Proud to be an American" t-shirt' date=' I feel like I'm lying. If he gets re-elected, I just might burn that shirt. He's been ruining the country since he was a senator, and poor George W. Bush, being the face on TV at the time was the one blamed. bin laden may have been killed on obama's watch, but it was under Bush's order! I am an American, and I love my country, but there could hardly be anyone more angry at the US government than me.

[/quote']

I haven't laughed this hard in a while.

Anywho, nobody should be ashamed to be an american, especially not over this, the fact of the matter is that these are american media companies and so of course they're going to go through the american legal system to try to strongarm people who they perceive as stealing from them whenever possible, because they have the power and money to do so. If this was in any other country they'd be doing the same thing there.

Actually I'd say it's their fear of losing that money and power that's the reason why they're pushing this type of legislation and all that. They want to become the new gate keepers of the new age. I mean, wouldn't you just love them telling you exactly the same things, that they've been telling people for the last 50 years? Brilliant right? That's what PIPA and SOPA really boil down to, they're losing control and want control.

It has nothing to do with theft, stealing, piracy or anything else. They want to side-step the entire legal and judicial system, and shut people up based on a whim that if someone is disagreeing with their carefully crafted groupthink, they can shut them down. And personally, this is the perfect legislation for it. And if I was an evil, controlling son of a bitch who wanted to crush the ability for people to speak out. That's how I'd so it, and that's how they're trying to do it.

instead of spending money chasing down these pirats, they should spend it on making more stable games / prgramms etc.. Hell i got so many legal games, none work as intended. Hell how old was oblivion that game was crashing more when i was playing it then anything else..

btw i knew something was up, i was uploading stuff on megaupload and saw a hit by nforce on my router, but i warned the moderators here a few months back because i was scanned by nforce even when visiting here. Seem they where keping tabs here too.

Ashal should really block outsiders from being able to view all parts without log-in ASAP.

Honestly I don't know what's going on in my America. I don't know if there is genuinely a conspiracy against the American people by the Government ( And if so, the Government is guilty of High Treason....Punishable by death. ) Or if the Government is just genuinely stupid, and incompetent. Feels like a little bit of both. It seems like congressmen and senators hardly read the bills that are getting passed nowadays.

I am also deeply sorry if any of my countrymen's efforts are to the rest of world's detriment. There's not much I can do besides protest and vote, or get killed in a shoot out with the Police/National Guard and make the 6 o'clock news.

What I find most disturbing is that with or without these bills being passed they were able to shut down a "Hongkong" based file sharing site (...)

Since not many sources write about this in detail, you might've missed the fact that MU also had servers in Virginia, and this is exactly what gave the court jurisdiction.

The real question is what happens now, if MU founders get convicted it will set a dangerous precedent, and in case they do it could go two ways I reckon:

1: file sharing services running away with their hardware from the US (more likely to happen if they want to stay competitive)

2: file sharing services would start to monitor the uploaded content

What I find most dangerous is the fact that if they do get convicted (assuming MU was adhering to the basics, complying with DMCA takedown notices etc.) we would have a precedent on our hands that would be the equivalent of ACTA for file sharing services, by making the file sharing services fully responsible for the content of the files they store, it would be pretty much like making the post office responsible for the contents of letters they deliver.

EDIT:

as for the charges....conspiracy?.......really?..... It's like saying out loud "we don't have any concrete evidence against you but we want to make an example out of you so we will be as vague as possible to get what we want"

Alright folks, if you are a US Citizen (or are friends with one), stop complaining about the situation and do something about it! The bills going through Congress are the Protect IP Act (PIPA) in the Senate and the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the House. Here is an EASY way through a Google sponsored online petition to let your Senators and Representative know that you are against these bills.

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

If you really want to make to make a difference then CALL and WRITE your congressmen and let their staff know what you think!

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Above all research! Don't just listen to panic and rumor, read up on the subject and see if there are alternative solutions to the problem. Offer feedback to Congress, they DO listen to their voters. Its just a matter of influence of big money (Hollywood, Game Companies, Music Labels, etc..) vs. influence of the people that actually VOTE and if there is enough of the later, then it won't matter how much money is thrown at Congress, it won't matter.

Already the pressure has born fruit, it needs to be kept up!

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/20/technology/SOPA_PIPA_postponed/index.htm

Don't bitch, ACT!!

I just wonder how long it will take them to take on google. we all know we just need to type the words in to find new download sites. in that case a full internet shutdown is immiment. Btw where is loverslab hosted ???

Well the bills have been shelved for now, but the problem of Media Piracy remains. Eventually it HAS to be addressed. The trick is to find a solution that protects the content producers compensation for their efforts while protecting the Internet, keeping it free of Censorship and interference.

I'm Canadian' date=' so I can't do much except raise awareness around me. But if this bill ever pass the vote in the USA, I can bet my life that they're going to push it up north.

We have to kill it in the egg.

[/quote']

Well we can. The company that I work for has filed a complaint through the US embassy over it, and through industry canada with regards to both pieces of legislation and how they'll directly impact our ability to do business and operate. Apparently the flappy headed lawyers also as of last night filed a legal grievance with the US embassy and a complaint with IC with regards to megaupload, because we use it as a dump for our autodesk and modeler work rather than keeping them on our network(damn bandwidth is expensive in our neck of the woods for a dedicated link). In the meantime we're using dropbox.

But as for killng it in the egg, yeah that's good. But as canucks, sending complaints to the embassy, and industry canada and drowning them in letters is good too.

Well the bills have been shelved for now, but the problem of Media Piracy remains. Eventually it HAS to be addressed. The trick is to find a solution that protects the content producers compensation for their efforts while protecting the Internet, keeping it free of Censorship and interference.

Piracy is the boogyman of the age, and has been since the first mixtapes came out and the VCR came of age. I'm 'youngish' but still remember some of the stuff on that. MS wouldn't have the marketshare they have if it wasn't for the fact that their OS was pirated so heavily. Corel wouldn't have had the marketshare they did if their products weren't pirated as much as they were, but they're effectively dead because of bad business decisions. The laws on the books already cover piracy, and they are enacted inforce already, and do the job.

The real problem is, even these laws are heavy handed. And often act out of malice, and are excessive. Being the same level or an actual felony instead of a misdemeanor. Slap an individual with a fine, double or triple the value. Go after the actual pirates selling the stuff and nail them to the wall for hundreds of thousands of dollars. I'm fine with that.

For music and all that, Canada has the right idea. We use a levy system on blank media.

There is an argument that free distribution can increase market share, however it for the entity (company or individual) to decide that its in their best interest. Piracy in any form is still stealing not only from the content creator but from the country they reside and pay taxes in. It also steals from the government and people of the country the product is sold in if the country has sale and/or import taxes.

Now don't get me wrong, the laws proposed were indeed too heavy handed and the public response was enough for Congress to back off and rethink things. The Entertainment industry, both in the US but elsewhere needs to adapt to the 21st century and find ways to protect their income without having to rely on government intervention beyond current law.

Canada uses a levy system? I'll have to look that up. It might be something the US could use.

Canada uses a levy system? I'll have to look that up. It might be something the US could use.

Canada's system is interesting, but flawed as well. They basically put a tax on most forms of rewritable media (HDDs, CD-Rs, DVD-Rs, etc) that is then passed back to the movie and recording industry publishers. I don't think much if any of that makes its way back to the artists, and I'm not sure how (or if) other content creators are reimbursed from the tax.

The system basically assumes everyone is a criminal and taxes them in advance rather than enforcing copyright laws. It's an imperfect system, but it might be the best we can do worldwide. Of course it means less than nothing if the Chinese don't participate. ;)

I've felt ashamed of being American ever since that arab terrorist bastard barack obama got elected.

Must we really resort to such comments?

Yeah no shit...being an American has NOTHING to do with what those freaks did the other day to megaupload, or the other crap they are trying to do, SOPA and the PIPA do not speak and act for every American. If you are so ashamed of being what you are,move away to your utopian dream land (that is non existant). The crap was shelved anyhow.

Canada's system is interesting' date=' but flawed as well. They basically put a tax on most forms of rewritable media (HDDs, CD-Rs, DVD-Rs, etc) that is then passed back to the movie and recording industry publishers. I don't think much if any of that makes its way back to the artists, and I'm not sure how (or if) other content creators are reimbursed from the tax.

The system basically assumes everyone is a criminal and taxes them in advance rather than enforcing copyright laws. It's an imperfect system, but it might be the best we can do worldwide. Of course it means less than nothing if the Chinese don't participate. ;)

[/quote']

As strange as that would seem to many people, that could actually work, and very well.

Don't know, why so many starts to panic now because they don't know where to put the stuff up and more if they should do it or maybe they got arrested ... there are more then enough other uploadsites, like mediafire, rapidshare, filesonic, etc. to put the stuff up and no one gets arrested for uploading mods somewhere.

Even if MU is gone - we don't die because of it.