Mesh Rigger (Skyrim, Fallout, Oblivion) Beta.89.f (10-26-2014)

Thanks for the input! I tried to see if I could get help from someone that does actual bodyslide conversions(in the conversion thread), but I never got a reply so I dont think theres many people doing conversions anymore.

Ā 

I also found this video tutorial, but its pretty old. Do you think this would be a good tutorial for me to follow, or should I not due to its age?

Ā 

Ā 

Yeah sorry about that. I actually think the video might be too outdated anyway. The interface is pretty different and it seems like my mod was maybe made differently than the armor that's being converted in the video.

I guess I'll just keep searching. And thanks for the feedback :)

• 1 month later...

Well I'll be damned, this tool works great! For FNV at least, as It made a fully functional mesh on the first run.Ā 

Did highlight some clipping issues though, so I better get back into blender and fix that, but that's on me and not the tool.Ā 

Ā 

Thanks a bunch for this.Ā 

Thanks for this!

Im a bit of nuub when it comes to this tool so i was wondering. (skyrim)

How to you add Weights to hair? so the hairstyle dont remain static and clips when you wlk?

like the person at did.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75915/?

Select a mesh body or mesh head?

Then select a female skeleton

Copy weights option.

Select bones.

Ok.

Then bones menu comes up i select the L and R breast bones. Any other bones?

Then close the window to confirm?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

It's been about a year, and I've returned to FONV to finish what I started. Ā The time has suddenly come to recruit Cass and get her quests done, and so I bang my head against the conundrum that I never got a solution to beforehand:

Ā 

I am trying to rigĀ this armor. Ā It has five affected meshes total (cass_companion, cassarmoredjacket, cassarmoredNOjacket, cassjacket, cass_topless). Ā Every possible method I have tried has given a distorted, unusable mesh. Ā I sought help on this a year ago. Ā TheĀ offered resultĀ lacked distortions (besides visible meatcaps), but exhibited a cel-shaded look that could not be solved. Ā Other than that, to repeat, I have triedĀ everything.Ā Ā No permutation of settings satisfied Mesh Rigger, including those specifically suggested at the time.

Ā 

I admit to having had some hope that this armor would have been successfully mesh-rigged by someone after all this time, but it could be that there is something unique about these meshes that makes the process impossible. Ā Certainly I challenge anyone to find success with Mesh Rigger itself. Ā Either way, I'd appreciate a quick conversion from anyone who has the knowledge and a spare moment.

• 2 weeks later...

@arg00n

Ā 

You can not use most skeleton's as your template because most skeletons have too much shit it them and all that shit pushes the ok button off of the screen. Mesh rigger needs to be updated to fix that but it might be awhile before that happen. I would just grab a body with the needed bone nodes in it and use that as a template instead.

@arg00n

Ā 

You can not use most skeleton's as your template because most skeletons have too much shit it them and all that shit pushes the ok button off of the screen. Mesh rigger needs to be updated to fix that but it might be awhile before that happen. I would just grab a body with the needed bone nodes in it and use that as a template instead.

Ā 

Thank you! That worked just fine.

• 1 month later...

You can't just run mesh rigger and a oblivion armor will work with NV because the nif will still be the oblivion version and will not work with nv. You must first use Gerra6's pose converter to convert the armor pose from oblivion to NV and then you will have to use a 3d tool to convert it to work with NV once you do that then you can run mesh rigger to add bone nodes to the armor.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

So I'm using XP32 skeleton as the source of nodes for Mesh Rigger... and Mesh Rigger is deforming the majority of the meshes.Ā  Any suggestions, tips, common sense things that I've missed?Ā  I've tried copy weights on and off... replace bones on and off...Ā  Ā Tried just using a body/head mesh... not sure if what I'm doing is something I can fix or what.
Trying to rig KS hair meshes

Ā 

Okay, now just using a body mesh instead of the skeleton and removing the Spine 2 bone seems to solve all problems.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried updating this tool to SSE or FO4 yet? I'm asking because I'm using it right now for Skyrim SE. I've got to use the older models of the tools, but so far it's working alright.

Ā 

Ā 

So a few things. Mesh Riggers UI uses Tkinkter.. tkk along with tkinker for python. The entire program is designed around python. I want to update this tool to work with Skyrim SE and FO4. I'm slowly cracking at this and looking at the classes. Here is a document to understand ttk for python.

Ā 

Now here is my question and maybe someone can answer this for me. Does Mesh Rigger need to be updated through the scripts in it's own programming to work with the new SSE and FO4 nifs or does it need to have pyffi updated to work with those meshes?

Ā 

@Vain.3805

Ā 

It is best not to use skeleton's when using the tool as many times the skeleton will have too many bone nodes in it and it'll push the ok button off of the screen so you an't click it. The KS hair mesh is it a HDT one? HDT ones will get messed up in mesh rigger and outfit studios as they mess up the files and break the HDT in them.

Ā 

You could try using outfit studios to add the head bone node to the mesh as long as it doesn't have HDT.

Ā 

@Tooneyman23

Ā 

I'm not sure if there are many that know the inner workings of Gerra6's tools other then Gerra6 themselves. A one time I they stated they were going to update the one tool and maybe get the other ones updated too but they disappeared again so not sure. I do know that they stated once that to work on their tools you first have to love math if you hate math it's going to fucking suck for you as there are a lot of equations and stuff.

8 hours ago, myuhinny said:

@Vain.3805

Ā 

It is best not to use skeleton's when using the tool as many times the skeleton will have too many bone nodes in it and it'll push the ok button off of the screen so you an't click it. The KS hair mesh is it a HDT one? HDT ones will get messed up in mesh rigger and outfit studios as they mess up the files and break the HDT in them.

Ā 

You could try using outfit studios to add the head bone node to the mesh as long as it doesn't have HDT.

Ā 

@Tooneyman23

Ā 

I'm not sure if there are many that know the inner workings of Gerra6's tools other then Gerra6 themselves. A one time I they stated they were going to update the one tool and maybe get the other ones updated too but they disappeared again so not sure. I do know that they stated once that to work on their tools you first have to love math if you hate math it's going to fucking suck for you as there are a lot of equations and stuff.

@myuhinny

Khan's Academy is a beautiful thing and I've been working on it. ? Actually taking a lot of algebra courses to help. Now here is my deal. The UV is terrible for the GUI since it uses Tkinter. Even if the author wanted to update the tool to SSE or FO4. Pyffi hasn't been update to work with BriShape which is the new version of the nifs for Skyrim SE and FO4. These are updated through the nif xml files on Niftools. It looks like someone was working on updating them, but hasn't really since. I've recently just got my python 3.8 environment setup and will start cracking on this little by little. I'm the new author of BME and UNPR for Skyrim SE and I want to use the tool to help me get the body's in top performance shape. It's able to create meshes very well. The only thing I wish the tool would do is smooth the mesh to the new smoothing level of the one I'm copying from, but a last that is not possible at this time. I'm going to look into it.

Ā 

Now the reason the bones are so big for the new skeletons is because of tkinters plug-in. It's under the this file.

image.png.149943fc540877e37cc4c7e726972eef.png

Ā 

If anyone wants to update the UI to allow the bones to work properly. The UI has to be fixed. It works with tkinter. Example:

image.png.c5e6be0d991083cb9dfff61aed07d550.png

Ā 

The bonemenu as you can see if created through tkinker which is a GUI for python. Here is a link on how tkinter works and is created. But like above it uses a few version of tkinter which is ttk. The bonemenu doesn't have a scrollbar or a few other features which allows the GUI to expand to show the "Ok" button. I've been working on this issue for over a month now to figure out how to add a scrollbar to this program. I'm going to eventually get it. Tkinter requires you to first create a canvas and add a scrollbar for both the y and x axis with some padding to get it to work. My problem from this program was getting the bones to load. I realized the bone menu wasn't the problem that the whole UI needs to have scrollbar functionality along with expanding padding to allow the box to move with the setup. That's a lot of work. =P If it can be done and it will take time to update. It's not about math when it comes to UI.

Ā 

As for upgrading the pyffi and nif xml to get Mesh Rigger to work with BriShape. That's another problem in itself. XD

Ā 

But I want to show people the technical issues and what is the problem with this tool as of the moment.

• 1 month later...

Don't know if you're trying to lift the pyffi requirement. I suppose not, because that's just the backbone of the program? Which is shame because that's the very reason why Gerra had to use tkinter in the first place.

Ā 

He tried several times to build a working executable out of it but wasn't successful because pyffi builds classes dynamically. So all those Nif-specific classes are virtually non-existent at compile time. IIRC, I had a little success to some extent (by manually cramming a missing module into lib.zip whenever I encounter a compile error) but never fully successful either. I think I was stuck at some xml error.

Ā 

So he had to distribute it as source, plus a stand-alone Python interpreter because average Joe's don't even know what that thing is, but could not afford other gui library (you know, gui libs tend to get several hundred megs easily), and tkinter is part of the standard library, small, ugly and irrational but still gets the shit done.

Ā 

So anyways if you're going to make some radical changes, why not rewite it as a cli tool? After that writing a front end shouldn't be any more difficult than messing with an ancient lameness that is tkinter.

• 1 month later...

@myuhinny

Ā 

Ok, so I decided to find out why the hell batch-converting Oblivion armor (this was a unisex set from Hepsy, for HGEC and Roberts) to Skyrim through Mesh Rigger resulted into a bunch of ripped-apart meshes. Followed your advice to just use the body mesh (in this case, UNP weight 0) as the skeleton template rather than skeleton_female.nif. Ran the rigger and out comes the meshes as they should be positioned -- all nice and neat.

Ā 

Settings during the test conversion from HGEC/RobertsĀ to (UNP):

Ā 

version=b_90
name=MeshRigger_Options
Distance=50.0
Game=Skyrim
Targets=6
Tool=MESHRIGGER
bone=True
copy_havok=False
delete_partitions=True
delete_rigging=True
delete_weights=True
destination=E:/Conversions/Hepsy/tgt
flatten_skin=False
gender=Both
name=MeshRigger_Options
override=True
replace_weights=True
select_bones=True
select_meshes=False
skeleton_links=0
skin=All Materials
subfolder=1
target=E:/Conversions/Hepsy/src
template={D:/Steam/SteamApps/common/skyrim/TES Oblivion Tools RC_89_e/Template/femalebody_0.nif}
template_s=D:/Steam/SteamApps/common/skyrim/TES Oblivion Tools RC_89_e/Template/femalebody_0.nif
update_version=0
uv_search=True
v_index=True
version=b_90

Gonna investigate further, which includes checking the weightpaints and bone assignments.

• 3 months later...

**EDIT: I got it to work! In case anyone else has the problem I did, this is what worked for me: First, in the target mesh (which was a cuirass) I had to delete the parts that were just skin (arms and neck) in nifskope, then do Spells>Optimize>Remove Bogus Nodes, then do Spells>Batch>Update all tangent spaces and save this .nif with a new name (might need the original for last step). After I did that and ran Mesh Rigger.bat, it finally worked and placed a new nif in the output folder! Yay! Then you can take that new .nif and import it into blender/3dsmax to re-add the arms or whatever you deleted by importing the mesh that still has the skin parts (just delete that extra skeleton before exporting). It's working beautifully for me now to rig Oblivion meshes! Thank you so much to the maker(s) of this tool!! Now even a low-level scrub like me can rig clothing =D

Ā 

Ā 

Original Post: I've been trying for days now to get this tool to work for Oblivion meshes. There is nothing in the output folder once it finishes. For me, it seems to work only for Skyrim meshes. How on earth do I get this to output for Oblivion? :0

@fluffykitty

Ā 

Chances are that the reason why there is no file in the output folder is because something in the nif caused mesh rigger to crash or close. To find out if it actually did finish or if it crashed go to the folder named save and search for theĀ mesh_rigger.log and drag and drop it into notepad and read what is at the end of the log.

• 1 year later...

I know this is the same system as in the clothing body style converter, and I posted a message there looking for help, but no-one responded.

So I was hoping someone could explain to me what's going on.
I've installed the exact versions of python and pyffi provided by the link, I've extracted the 7zip file, but it just isn't working.
I've tried the downloads from here, and the downloads on the clothing converter page.

For some reason the tool crashes the moment I try to run it.
I get a command line prompt statingĀ 
"Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams
LookupError: unknown encoding cp65881

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information"
The command line prompt only lasts for less than a second, and I had to carefully time a screenshot to even be able to read it.
Then the program terminates.
What am I doing wrong?