So, yay, MO messed up at random, ended up crapping all over the game, saves messed up beyond repair... Oh goodie...  There goes Skyrim for me for the next 2 months.  Epicly pissed trying to sort out what the hell happened.  Even loading a new profile or reinstalling MO from scratch doesn't seem to do anything to fix the issue.  It's like ALL saves suddenly became clean (as in pure vanilla clean) and all mods reloaded from the start, meaning one huge, terrible mess.  Lost enchanted equipment, character facegen, loaded scripts, settings... Also bloated Papyrus log to infinity, 1,5mbs in under a minute, which means practically every character save has been screwed.

EDIT: Ok, something got seriously problematic with the new Unofficial Patches... After spending hours on this, disabling them allows the game to load.  Enabling them seems to somehow make MO unable to load the DLCs... >_>  Strange because it was working normally till this afternoon.

EDIT2: Ok, managed to get it to work after 5 hours of messing around.  Not sure what gives though, I think it's the number of mods but I had the same number before... >_>

Have you reported it (and posted that log)? I checked the issue tracker, but I didn't see that particular issue posted there.

You say it only happens when you use the unofficial patches? I can't help there personally, because I don't use them. Every time I used the unofficial Skyrim patch, I was unable to absorb dragon souls, so I got rid of it. My game works perfectly without them anyway.

Also, if you went through 5 hours of troubleshooting, what did you do? Did you fix it? If so, how? That would be a nice thing to have covered on this thread. Especially if it came from out of nowhere like that.

So, yay, MO messed up at random, ended up crapping all over the game, saves messed up beyond repair... Oh goodie...  There goes Skyrim for me for the next 2 months.  Epicly pissed trying to sort out what the hell happened.  Even loading a new profile or reinstalling MO from scratch doesn't seem to do anything to fix the issue.  It's like ALL saves suddenly became clean (as in pure vanilla clean) and all mods reloaded from the start, meaning one huge, terrible mess.  Lost enchanted equipment, character facegen, loaded scripts, settings... Also bloated Papyrus log to infinity, 1,5mbs in under a minute, which means practically every character save has been screwed.

EDIT: Ok, something got seriously problematic with the new Unofficial Patches... After spending hours on this, disabling them allows the game to load.  Enabling them seems to somehow make MO unable to load the DLCs... >_>  Strange because it was working normally till this afternoon.

EDIT2: Ok, managed to get it to work after 5 hours of messing around.  Not sure what gives though, I think it's the number of mods but I had the same number before... >_>

Have you reported it (and posted that log)? I checked the issue tracker, but I didn't see that particular issue posted there.

You say it only happens when you use the unofficial patches? I can't help there personally, because I don't use them. Every time I used the unofficial Skyrim patch, I was unable to absorb dragon souls, so I got rid of it. My game works perfectly without them anyway.

Also, if you went through 5 hours of troubleshooting, what did you do? Did you fix it? If so, how? That would be a nice thing to have covered on this thread. Especially if it came from out of nowhere like that.

Not sure if it's really the patches.  It could have been the mod number.  I searched but didn't see anything there.  I can't recall or replicate the exact problem, so I couldn't really created a ticket.  I mean, for all I knew, maybe the disk fumbled, or the antivirus or whatever.

It all started when, upon running the game through MO, it popped a message saying SOMETHING like "can't find game", but I don't remember the exact message.  I think it had happened some times before but if I let it load, then close and re-run the game, it generally functioned normally.  This time I closed it before it loaded, then it wouldn't load.  After messing around with BOSS, load order, unchecking mods, changing installation order, a clean MO installation, it wouldn't work.  I hadn't noticed at first because I was trying to load saves in the vanilla world, but when I was loading a Dragonborn save, it was loading my character in the Sleeping Giant.  I got the save to load normally (without mods) through Steam using the default launcher.  Each time I tried through MO, it was loading incorrectly, like it was unable to load the DLCs.  The Dawnguard quest was starting all over and my log was empty of DLC quests.  So I created a clean test profile in MO and tried that.  It loaded, so I thought that somehow some mod I had before didn't play nice with MO.  Seeing as the patches were recently updated, I thought somehow that messed up something, so I removed them, and behold, it worked.  Of course, seeing as they were running normally before, I found it strange.  I checked the mod list and unticked 2-3 random mods I might not need that much and somehow it worked.  I can't really pinpoint anything else.  Maybe MO went bonkers because my mods are close to 260 in load order (already reached F in the mod index).

So now the saves work again (mostly, not sure, the game looks different now for some reason, probably the order I had them installed was different before).

You can't always rely on BOSS. It gets it wrong sometimes. If you think it's a load order issue, you could always post the load order and have us take a look, but if it's working now, then it's working.

Any problems, just post the load order. Your dlc's should have loaded just fine with those patches. I can't see how they would have that effect on your game. Seems impossible. Hopefully I'm wrong, and they were the problem.

You could try checking a new game (new profile to avoid losing your saved mods setup, since you have an outrageous number of active mods) with only the patches active, and see if there are any issues.

You can't always rely on BOSS. It gets it wrong sometimes. If you think it's a load order issue, you could always post the load order and have us take a look, but if it's working now, then it's working.

Any problems, just post the load order. Your dlc's should have loaded just fine with those patches. I can't see how they would have that effect on your game. Seems impossible. Hopefully I'm wrong, and they were the problem.

You could try checking a new game (new profile to avoid losing your saved mods setup, since you have an outrageous number of active mods) with only the patches active, and see if there are any issues.

Well, it works now, so I won't push it more than it needs to.  I couldn't even tell that it wasn't loading the DLCs.  It seemed like it just messed up and all the mods were reloaded and re-initialized until I loaded a random save and a guard passed by, then the dawnguard quest popped up and I was like "wtf, impossible".   I checked the journal, tried loading a dragonborn save, sent to the Sleeping Giant instead :P That's when I started to figure that there's something weird going on.  The patches are loaded now and the game works with them, as it should.  I mean it WAS working before, there was no reason why it should bug out now.

Nah, I wasn't running BOSS before, that's why I used it this time, just to be sure it wasn't my mistake with the load order.  BOSS does do retarded stuff with some mods, I had to reorder them anyway.

Just started out with MO after years of continuous NNM mod re-installs, entire game re-installs, and damaged mass-bloat-furbered save games. So far loving the ability to really tweak the finer details. 

-----------------------------

Suggestion for those who might want to explore lots of beta mods; maxed .esp at near 250 limit; heavily scripted mods and do it with their favorite developed character. This works particularly well with High Level Enemies and High Level Enemies - Raised Ability Caps when playing on high or legendary difficulty. Rebuild your favorite character using this mod:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/28846/?tab=1&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D28846%26preview%3D&pUp=1

When i first load mod organizer i only see fallout 3 new vegas and oblivion why does it not find skyrim in steam folder and all others does ???

I am still confused on how the ui works does this mod allow you to install mods on different hard drive too ?? Also can i manage savegame folders for it to safe games not in the default location but else where etc.. ??

Also it seem to have messed up my load order in mod organizer. i don't use boss since it fucks up my load order even more and 50 % of the mods i use is not even listed so i am better off doing manual load order anyway.

I don't think it works that way. It's my understanding that MO will only work for one game at a time. I installed mine directly into the Skyrim directory. For Oblivion, I installed another MO in that dir. MO is guaranteed to read Skyrim if installed that way.

No. MO will save in it's designated save place. It has it's own virtual path for your saves. If you want it to be able to save somewhere else, you might want to ask Tannin for that to become an available option, though I don't see the point.

Messed up how? When? Do you ever use the save option to save your load order?

Messed up how? When? Do you ever use the save option to save your load order?

Messed up as putting every mod in the wrong load order when Mo loads. it seem to have txt file in it's profile that will put eery mod in alphabetical order. like bash patch is way up and unofficial patch way down in the load order.

Now i have to fully reorder it by hand. But i got it fixed eventually. i don't use boss since it fucks my load order up everytime leaving me to guess where the other 50% of my mods to be placed again.

Now that is have my load order fixed i can see why so many like this much more then wrey bash or other such tools.

This tool will defenantly give me the edge i been struggling too keep my mods down below to 100 mods at one time. Now i can quickly switch profile to test different mods on the fly.

The only thing i need to watch out for is when too use skyproc patches.

Hmm, I know it alphabetizes mods, but I've never had it change my load order. The numbers in the mod line tell you the load order, not the order in which it lists them. Just because the mods are in that order, doesn't mean they're loaded in that order.

Sorry if you already knew that. This is just how I chose to reply, since I haven't actually covered that in my thread yet.

Oh, and don't count WryeBash out just yet. That thing will probably come in handy for you sooner or later, MO or no MO. Just don't use it as a manager, is all. That's what my beloved MO is for. ;) Thank you Tannin!

The one...the only...

Mod Organizer

I tried looking for a fix but there seem to be none, i get an error report about the mod manager failed to remove limit on archive list ??

I have no idea what it even means ?? Do i need to worry now ?

O_o I actually have never seen an error like that and I am always juggling at around 255 activate .esps.  What exactly were you trying to do?  Did you enable an ArchiveInvalidation through MO?

If I didn't know any better, I'd say your MO is failing to save your LO (which would make MO obsolete). Again, did you try to 'save' your LO? I don't, but my MO saves it regardless. Have you reported it to Tannin in the issue tracker? If you have, and you're getting no response, I'll ask personally. Failing to remove the limit to the archive list tells me you have limited freedom to install mods to MO. If that's the case, don't be surprised if you can't install more mods. Have you reinstalled it? Seems unlikely that MO would do these things on it's own. Have you messed around with settings? Tried to alter something in the code? Changed anything at all? You don't use 2 MM's at once do you? That would likely confuse MO, and in this case, the other MM would seem to be "cutting in line", and not letting MO function properly. Just thinking out loud here. We'll get this figured out. ;)

Is there a way to save the settings before trying to reinstall ?? It was weird since it was working fine till i added realistic teeth to the list before this bug popped up, and realistic teeth isn't even real mod just mesh and texture replacer. Witch even should not change any load-order list.

Is there a way to save the settings before trying to reinstall ?? It was weird since it was working fine till i added realistic teeth to the list before this bug popped up, and realistic teeth isn't even real mod just mesh and texture replacer. Witch even should not change any load-order list.

Reinstall what? Skyrim or MO?  If it's MO, you should be able to get away with backing up your profile (it's in the Profiles folder).  It's not like MO has a weird installation, it just unpacks stuff in a folder, not much else.  BTW, did you try completely uninstalling Realistic teeth and running MO?  Does it still pop the same error message?

i got response from tannin and was pointing me this topic:

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#Archives

Archives

If a mod contains assets in a BSA file, it will appear in the Archives tab under the mod's name. Checking a BSA will ensure that its contents make it in-game in the order that you have set your priorities in the left pane. If an unchecked BSA has a corresponding esp or esm in the load order, it will display a warning icon beside it. This indicates that the BSA will be loaded despite not being checked. Not only will such a BSA be loaded, but also it will ignore the priorities set in the left pane and load according to its position in your load order. BSAs may also be unpacked in this tab by right-clicking the BSA and selecting "Extract..." This will extract the BSA's contents to any folder you choose.

An accompanying ESP file to extract the BSA is not necessary in Mod Organizer. The only requirement is for the BSA to be checked here.

20px-Info-Logo.png       Notice:Users who get the "failed to remove limit on archive list!" error message can only load around 80 BSAs by means of checking them. Those users may have to unpack additional BSAs, or load the corresponding ESP, which will allow the game to load the BSA using default game mechanics.
Data

The Data tab provides an overview of how the Skyrim Data directory is seen when a program is launched through Mod Organizer. The File column tells the name of the file and the Mod column tells us the source of the file. If the name reported in the Mod column is colored red, another mod is active that would have provided the same file, but the mod reported in red is currently overwriting that file. If you hover over the red mod name, it will tell you where the conflicting file is located.

The context menu in the Data tab accessed by right-clicking provides several useful options. The "Open/Execute" option will open any file using the default program, or execute the file if it is a EXE or JAR executable application. The "Add as Executable" option is useful to add applications installed to the data directory quickly to Mod Organizer's list of executables. The "Hide" option will add a .mohidden file extension to whatever file you are hiding, making it effectively nonexistent. The "Write to file" option will create a text file listing every single file in your virtual data directory and its source. It will present you with a "Save As" dialog box, to which you can type whatever name you want for the filename. It is suggested to add a .txt file extension in this window to make opening the file with a text editor simpler. The "Refresh" option, as well as the big refresh button at the top of the tab, will check for any changes and make sure what you are seeing is current and accurate.

So it looks like i can only check 80 bsa at a time and no more then that. anymore and i need to leave the bsa unchecked or extract any new bsa and not use more then that.

So even i reinstall this will not fix what i was getting. i just have to make sure not tick more then 80 bsa a time for my pc, and the error will go away. if i want to use more bsa just leave them UN-ticked or extract the bsa.

i got response from tannin and was pointing me this topic:

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#Archives

Archives

If a mod contains assets in a BSA file, it will appear in the Archives tab under the mod's name. Checking a BSA will ensure that its contents make it in-game in the order that you have set your priorities in the left pane. If an unchecked BSA has a corresponding esp or esm in the load order, it will display a warning icon beside it. This indicates that the BSA will be loaded despite not being checked. Not only will such a BSA be loaded, but also it will ignore the priorities set in the left pane and load according to its position in your load order. BSAs may also be unpacked in this tab by right-clicking the BSA and selecting "Extract..." This will extract the BSA's contents to any folder you choose.

An accompanying ESP file to extract the BSA is not necessary in Mod Organizer. The only requirement is for the BSA to be checked here.

20px-Info-Logo.png       Notice:Users who get the "failed to remove limit on archive list!" error message can only load around 80 BSAs by means of checking them. Those users may have to unpack additional BSAs, or load the corresponding ESP, which will allow the game to load the BSA using default game mechanics.
Data

The Data tab provides an overview of how the Skyrim Data directory is seen when a program is launched through Mod Organizer. The File column tells the name of the file and the Mod column tells us the source of the file. If the name reported in the Mod column is colored red, another mod is active that would have provided the same file, but the mod reported in red is currently overwriting that file. If you hover over the red mod name, it will tell you where the conflicting file is located.

The context menu in the Data tab accessed by right-clicking provides several useful options. The "Open/Execute" option will open any file using the default program, or execute the file if it is a EXE or JAR executable application. The "Add as Executable" option is useful to add applications installed to the data directory quickly to Mod Organizer's list of executables. The "Hide" option will add a .mohidden file extension to whatever file you are hiding, making it effectively nonexistent. The "Write to file" option will create a text file listing every single file in your virtual data directory and its source. It will present you with a "Save As" dialog box, to which you can type whatever name you want for the filename. It is suggested to add a .txt file extension in this window to make opening the file with a text editor simpler. The "Refresh" option, as well as the big refresh button at the top of the tab, will check for any changes and make sure what you are seeing is current and accurate.

So it looks like i can only check 80 bsa at a time and no more then that. anymore and i need to leave the bsa unchecked or extract any new bsa and not use more then that.

So even i reinstall this will not fix what i was getting. i just have to make sure not tick more then 80 bsa a time for my pc, and the error will go away. if i want to use more bsa just leave them UN-ticked or extract the bsa.

You had 80 BSAs? Glad I wasn't really reading the instructions and unpacking most of them till recently then. xP

This is why I choose not to use bsa's every time (sorry for late reply. Unexpected circumstances kept me away). You could always unpack them, but I don't. (seriously, 80 bsa's? :P)

yes i know, but bsa made it more easy to remove mods. before mod organizer using loose files was total nightmare can you imagine installing 80 mods all of them loose files ??

Now i need to uninstall them and wait  now i have to navigate skyrim\data and remove every part manually shit i forgot to save rar file now i have too guess every part each mods installed manually. if i has used bsa then all i need to delete is bsa and esp file and it is gone. :D

AwfulArchdemon...

I think you like MO. Could I be wrong?  :P

I have hated the NMM and  and was going to try WyreBash to get the mods working correctly. Maybe I might just try this. It will be a big learning curve for me becasue I am use to the "hard way" of doing things. I have even started using pure manual installs and configs. That combined with my lack of experience with the bodies and mods to choose to play with will mean it will take some time to get the game to where I want it like FNV.

The major thing that I like is I can use it for Oblivion and perhaps even FNV/ FO3 as well. Yes there will be lots of issues with FOMM and scripts even with the mods here. I believe I can install them separately (extract them if needed) and then package them up when proper for MO. (not have Mo do the work) The same thing with the updates and such.

I can do it the hard way for my second computer ( a computer if I can get it up and running for development, tutorials and the such) and leave the MO for my gaming computer where I can run many different saves and play through after set up properly.

I believe this is possible .. yes?

Anyway, nice post. Don't know why I haven't seen this one before...

AwfulArchdemon...

I think you like MO. Could I be wrong?  :P 

Gee, do ya think?  ;)

Thanks RC.  :) Don't forget: you don't have to repack if you don't want to. You can do that stuff by right-clicking the mod from the mod menu (after installing), and clicking 'Open in Explorer', and moving info around from there. I recommend repacking 1st. I just do. It's no easier, and no harder.

All Bethesda games will work with MO. I respect the manual way of installing, but it's not wise if you're using more than a couple mods. Too many mods have meshes/textures, and that means you'll end up overwriting important info eventually. That can be irreversible, meaning a reinstall of Skyrim. I've done that enough times. No more, dammit.

If you got used to playing Skyrim with a controller, and want to do the same for Obl, I have a post that explains that too. Just remember to click on the 'Options' tab, and click refresh, so JoyToKey will recognize your current controller. You'll have to do that every time you use a different controller, and JTK needs to be running when you're using it. JTK is free, but eventually it will ask you to purchase a registration key. I didn't, but I may, just to support them. It's $7 USD. It's not necessary though. You can keep using it for free.