"What are you playing" thread

On 1/27/2019 at 12:33 AM, Blaze69 said:

Actually, I've just been playing AC7 (already finished 5 with S in all missions, and don't feel like going for it for the Very Hard/Ace difficulties again). Your first sentence pretty much describes the game, or at least that's my opinion....

Sounds consistent with other opinions i've heard. But seriously, i was sold when i saw a part of an "arsenal bird" assaulting Stonehenge :smiley:

And if it doesn't work out, i can always bitch about it on the internet.

9 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Claire always relied more on her pistol than her other weapons in the original. Sounds like they're going for the same thing here. ? Ugh, I'm going to hate that with the manual aim thing going. How many head shots will it take to down a licker? Or shots to G's arm-eye?

You might have been doing it wrong, lickers are dealt with a single shot with the grenade launcher ? But yes, it is now a thrid person shooter, so crosshair-to-head cordination is required. Though she gets more useful weapons than in the original.

Oh, and if you got the Deluxe edition, play hardcore on Noir outfits and original soundtrack ;)

6 hours ago, ToJKa said:

You might have been doing it wrong, lickers are dealt with a single shot with the grenade launcher ?

I haven't played yet. In fact I haven't bought a copy yet. But I do remember that lickers are weak to acid grenades. ...Do we get the grenade launcher before fighting a licker? Or did they leave in that intro to lickers in the hallway?

17 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I haven't played yet. In fact I haven't bought a copy yet. But I do remember that lickers are weak to acid grenades. ...Do we get the grenade launcher before fighting a licker? Or did they leave in that intro to lickers in the hallway?

Depends on the scenario. Both of them.

Interestingly enough, they removed explosive grenades and left only flame and acid. Flame being the one you find, and acid you have to craft yourself.

5 hours ago, ToJKa said:

Interestingly enough, they removed explosive grenades and left only flame and acid. Flame being the one you find, and acid you have to craft yourself.

Lovely. Gunpowder combination or something? Like it's not hard enough to manage inventory without having to haul around yet more crap. And no explosive ones? How am I going to decapitate zombies with the ol' wait-until-they're-right-up-close-and-fire trick? It worked with the launcher as well as the shotgun in the original. :classic_tongue:

Which is a complaint I have. I was watching some play vids and zombie heads don't burst; they split. That's not realistic; the skull isn't flexible enough to simply peel away from the center like clay. Even after birth it's not that malleable.

Yes, gunpowder. And yes, there's lot of  running back to item boxes. Inventory in normal mode does get pretty big if you find the upgrades, which makes it easier towards the end. 

They didn't half-ass with the original soundtrack either, locations, events, bosses, even menu sound effects are like the original. Very nice.

Hardcore mode was as tough as the original as well. Given how tough the enemies are, resource management is important. And inventory upgrades are halved, so less stuff to carry with you. Actually managed to run out of ammo in Claire's final boss, despite the special toy you get for it ;)

I did unlock the unlimited rocket  launcher in the original game, and the requirements are still the same too (in hardcore mode time less than 2:30, and three saves at most), but since enemies are so much more dangerous here than the original, i think i'm going to pass on that. Bosses however feel easier.

2 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Which is a complaint I have. I was watching some play vids and zombie heads don't burst; they split. That's not realistic; the skull isn't flexible enough to simply peel away from the center like clay. Even after birth it's not that malleable.

The reason/excuse might be something about the zombies rotting on their feet so their skulls (along with the rest of the body)are in a state of advanced decomposition, making the most reliable method of putting them down being destroying the brainstem or the Limbic system rather than the now decorative cortices.

Been playing around with Mesen, a NES emulator that allows "high def" patches for NES roms. It allows modders create addons that swap out the default art of a ROM for higher quality images if they know what they are doing.

While I'm a retro gaming enthusiast I'll admit I was never a fan of the NES's 2-bit color quality limitation. And yes, the NES used 2-bit palette art: 8-bit palette art would look like an early VGA game. So being able to play Ninja Gaiden 2 with its SNES quality art while retaining its superior NES music, sfx, and visual effects along with all the SNES censorship edited away by the modder was a lot of fun. Shame so few games current have a HD patch (Metroid, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 are currently the only ones I know about). If I ever decided to make a patch myself it will probably be for Rygar and/or Zelda 2.

18 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

The reason/excuse might be something about the zombies rotting on their feet so their skulls (along with the rest of the body)are in a state of advanced decomposition, making the most reliable method of putting them down being destroying the brainstem or the Limbic system rather than the now decorative cortices.

Unfortunately that theory falls apart from one of the opening cinemas in the remake. Leon saves Claire from a zombie behind her by putting a single bullet through its forehead where it goes down for good. I think Capcom just got a little lazy about the physics.

2 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Unfortunately that theory falls apart from one of the opening cinemas in the remake. Leon saves Claire from a zombie behind her by putting a single bullet through its forehead where it goes down for good. I think Capcom just got a little lazy about the physics.

Resident Evil has always been inconsistent between cutscenes and gameplay, whether the characters and their weapons are more or less effective than they are in the hands of the player varies from scene to scene. Just look at how worthless fully automatic weapons fire was in the intro of the original Resident Evil 2 compared to how useful it was in-game.

44 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

Resident Evil has always been inconsistent between cutscenes and gameplay, whether the characters and their weapons are more or less effective than they are in the hands of the player varies from scene to scene. Just look at how worthless fully automatic weapons fire was in the intro of the original Resident Evil 2 compared to how useful it was in-game.

Point taken. But I'm not talking about weapon power. Just the way the modelling was handled in RE 2 Remake. I've seen vids of zombie heads splitting like the T-1000 in Terminator 2 when it's struck with a pipe: the halves just split into two down the middle. I'm beginning to wonder if the original T-Virus should have really meant "Terminator" instead of "Tyrant." :classic_tongue:

Never mind me. I'm still reeling from turning as pink as a panther.

I broke down and bought Resident Evil 2 Remake several weeks early. Because it's doing well in the eyes of players and...well, I really wanted to play it myself! I've had less than six hours of sleep after playing through Leon's Scenario A/Claire's Scenario B in one sitting on Normal Mode. Somehow earning myself an "S" rating on both despite getting horribly lost in the sewers as Leon and having a hell of a time with the chess puzzle. There was a lot of reloading involved.

I'm mildly disappointed with their choice of voice actor for Leon (I honestly had a hard time telling it changed with each game and CG movie), but really disappointed they didn't get Alyson Court to voice Claire. Apparently they got another for Revelations 2, but again I couldn't really tell, and Ms. Court did Claire in all the other games and spin-offs. But it fits with the change from auburn to brown hair, another choice I really dislike. Otherwise I'm happy with the game. I got my money's worth.

Being late to the party as usual, I just found out about Playstation Now streaming service for PC.

I'll be keeping an eye on it in the future as an option to possibly play a few of the PS games I'd like to check out, but won't pony up for a console I'd hardly use. The fact I'd still have to pay a monthly subscription fee means it will have to make available the games which interest me before I'd spend a nickel.

Geesh, I used "I'd" a lot in that paragraph.....

If RDR2 comes to PC after all, odds of using this service drop quite a bit. But it's nice to know there 'are' options.

Not actually playing, but developing a small game like a super-reduced version of HuniePop.

Without the dating part, but with custom sprites and more animations.

When it will be ready it will be posted on LoversLab for free.

I'm not really "playing" but watching a longplay of Ys IV: Dawn of Ys, the PC-Engine (Turbografx-16) version that's had an excellent fan dub and translation. The version that Falcom declared non-canon despite being superior in terms of story and graphics in favor of the SNES version. I have played the latter and am not that fond of it--and which Ys: Memories of Celceta is based on, which I am fond of. How much money could Falcom make if they remade the PC-Engine version? Or made the original, officially translated, available on Steam or GOG?

Now I have to hope they translate the remake of Ys V: Kingdom of Sand. Yes, I'm a fan(atic) of the series. Mainly because I started playing waaaayy back when the original version of Book I was released on the Sega Master System in 1986.

EDIT: Finally got it all watched--all ten hours of it. And I remember why I have a hard time watching most longplays; I want to reach through the screen and smack the person playing for making stupid mistakes when it comes to games I've played myself or know how to play because they play exactly the same as previous titles. Or they don't bother finding certain items, like the Shield Ring that Pikachu Plays missed. :classic_angry:

I just finished Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 and really enjoyed those 2, would like to play Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4 but I have no idea if we will get them in the US. I just finished watching a youtuber do a long play of 3 with a english voice over ie where he reads everything that is said out loud in english. I just started watching the same guy do a long play of 4, course I would much rather play 3 and 4 but again since I don't know if will ever get them in the US watching would be much better for now

Well, i'm certainly getting my money's worth from games. All missions in Ace Combat 7 finished with S rank on Ace difficulty. I'm missing some medals (like not taking damage during the campaign AT ALL, and finishing the cmapaign using only guns) but i think those'd be more annoying than fun. So i'll pass.

And now i have nothing to play again ?

Guess i could continue FFXV that got cut by RE2, and while i'm flying, this Sky Rogue roguelite seemed fun:

I'm one of those crazy yahoos who liked RE 6 but hated RE 7. So I bought RE 6 from Steam so I can use a trainer; I already put in my dues without cheating on the PS3 version and I'm just three Mastery skills away from having them all: machine gun, crossbow, and grenade. Not from a lack of trying, mind you.

So I'm playing RE 6 on my PC since I finally got the Minimalist and A Small Carbon Footprint on RE 2 Remake. Those were hard to get. The latter has reawakened my love of survival-horror and the RE series in particular.