Fomm - Custom Build - 0.14.11.13

Possibly stupid question:  The only BOSS functionality I've ever used is the sort-order option in FOMM, which really doesn't count since I've never installed BOSS.  I use FNVEdit.

Is there anything I'm missing out on by not using BOSS, understanding that having it installed will eventually be a requirement?

Having it will never be a requirement. If it's installed, the BOSS autosort in FOMM will use it. If it's not isntalled, that functionality will be unavailable.

A lot of people swear by it. I've never used it and never had a problem.

ETA: I've never used the sort order stuff in FOMM either, until now, since I'm working on it.

I have not touched that at all. If it's not in the list in the OP, it hasn't been done.

Both games have two copies of the ini files, the default file, and the per-use file. If there's some bug in FO3 that makes it write settings to the wrong file, I can't fix that without writing to both files -- which defeats the purpose of their being two of them. Nothing but official updates is supposed to touch the defaults file.

thanks. it is a bit different though: there are two almost identical ini files in two different locations:

-install folder

-[OS-Drive]\Dokumente und Einstellungen\<username>\Eigene Dateien\My Games\Fallout3

i dont know the names of the folders in the english windows-version, but it must be something similiar to this

"[OS-Drive]\documents and settings\<username>\my files\My Games\Fallout3"

i found that fallout3 reads one on load, but saves your changes to the other... they never seemed to care for patching this.

Ah. That's a real kick in the pants. The only way to fix it is by writing the modified values back to the original .ini in the install directory, which is 'bad' because if settings in there are wrong, you're going to have to restore the original one in the install directory from backup.

I'm really not feeling like tackling this.. :(

i installed 0.14.7 today and didnt notice the colouring adn BOSS didnt seem to have changed anything to my loadorder - maybe it is coincidantly already been sorted before...

The coloring only occurs if things are in the wrong order or missing/disabled. Drag SCR to be before Sexout and you'll see it, or untick sexout and a bunch of mods will light up like a christmas tree. If everything is black, then everything is in order and nothing required is missing or disabled.

erm, i'm using this on FO3... so for BOSS to work, i'd have to have BOSS isntalled also?

erm, i'm using this on FO3... so for BOSS to work, i'd have to have BOSS isntalled also?

First off.. FO3 or FONV makes no difference. That out of the way:

At present, the "BOSS autosort" in FOMM only uses the BOSS hint file, it does not actually use the BOSS sorting algorithm, library, or program. It sorts the mods based on the BOSS hint file, and any files not in the hint file are sorted alphabetically. Obviously none of the sexout mods are in that file, so using it with sexout WILL screw up your load order. If you run the report first, anything in there that it says it doesn't know about, is going to get sorted alphabetically.

In the future, the BOSS autosort is going to actually use real BOSS program. At that time, yes, you will have to have BOSS installed for it to work.

To be honest, I would not even use this feature as it is now in FOMM. I didn't know I broke it, and now that I fixed it, I realize it's such utter crap that I just want to disable it again.. :)

I've encountered an odd issue. I'm rebuilding my New Vegas game after a file corruption. I have eliminated all new mods and am only using mods I've used before and know work. The latest build of your new FOMM keeps popping up the "Something bad seems to have happened" box and closing every 4-5 mod installs.

Latest crashdump, figured it'd help.

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 2:16:16 PM
Fomm 0.14.7
OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
at Fomm.Games.GameMode.getPluginDependencyStatus(String name, Boolean showMessage)
at Fomm.Games.Fallout3.PluginFormatProviders.ColorizerPluginFormatProvider.GetFormat(String p_strPluginName)
at Fomm.PluginFormat.PluginFormatterManager.GetFormat(String p_strPluginName)
at Fomm.MainForm.RefreshPluginList()
at Fomm.PackageManager.PackageManager.bActivateGroup_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

If someone wants to run Boss they can run the program outside of FOMM. It doesn't really need to be part of the program if it is "Crap". I like the direction this is going in and if loosing Boss integration is the end result, I am just fine with it.

Perhaps remove it until sometime after you have integrated all the other features you visualize into FOMM. Then if it can be de-crapified put it back in.

Kain are you sure this is the latest?

I will check as soon as I am able. HDD upgrade on my RAID went terribly wrong today, so I'm working on my laptop right now while ghost restores my latest backup... which is almost a month old.

*shakes fist at norton*

You're told to backup every day at 3am, why don't you tell me if you fail to do so?! :P

I realized after I posted that it was 0.14.7. I updated to .8 and got the same issue though. If I install one at a time it's fine, I get the crash when I use "Activate Group" after the last mod in the group. New crashdump.

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 2:22:52 PM
Fomm 0.14.8
OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
at Fomm.Games.GameMode.getPluginDependencyStatus(String name, Boolean showMessage)
at Fomm.Games.Fallout3.PluginFormatProviders.ColorizerPluginFormatProvider.GetFormat(String p_strPluginName)
at Fomm.PluginFormat.PluginFormatterManager.GetFormat(String p_strPluginName)
at Fomm.MainForm.RefreshPluginList()
at Fomm.PackageManager.PackageManager.bActivateGroup_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Thank you for that bit of detail. Even though I cannot fix it right now, it does tell me exactly where the problem is.

I didn't even know there was such a button, but knowing there is, I know I didn't fix it to update the internal mod masterlist that the colorizer uses.

So... one at a time for now, please. :) I should be back up and running sometime tomorrow. Norton Ghost says I have 11 hours remaining on my restore. :P

• 2 weeks later...

The TTW site seems to host a version of the FOMM exe that should be more reliable for huge-ass fomods, like TTW (needs 64-b, 8Gb ram). Otherwise they recommend NMM :/

Anyway, could be something to keep in mind as an option maybe?

You can try patching it to 4gb aware with this: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

It seems to work for me for installing TTW, Lings-TTW.

PrideSlayer:

Here's some tech info on the LAA flag, that may or may not be useful for your continuing development efforts: http://helloacm.com/large-address-aware

I'm not up to speed enough to say if those are the header flags to implement for a 4gb compile in C# or just how to check for them.

Also regarding your request for ideas for a new name for your FOMM development:

FOMM-Prideslayer ed. ver.X.xx.xx

Frankly I believe it's advantageous to keep FOMM.exe as the filename, and "FOMM" in the package title.

Changing the .exe can be problematic for 3rd-party apps that expect FOMM to be FOMM.

FOMM is well-known but not everyone is aware that you're continuing development. By maintaining FOMM in the package name you're ensuring that someone searching for the current version of FOMM is more likely to stumble across it if they've never heard of LL.

• 3 weeks later...

I can build a 64bit one that is actually 64bit aware, rather than just LAA bogosity. Doc, would that be useful to you do you think?

Chi, seems like.. nothing to see here so far. I'll keep my eye on it though.

edit: was mean't for you ny, doh. ;)

But would it still work for the 32bit people out there?

I can build a 64bit one that is actually 64bit aware, rather than just LAA bogosity. Doc, would that be useful to you do you think?

Chi, seems like.. nothing to see here so far. I'll keep my eye on it though.

edit: was mean't for you ny, doh. ;)

That is required for the last TTW, so please yes :)

Sorry, I missed this - yes, for TTW purposes it's probably a must. And I am constantly advising people to switch to TTW instead of expecting sexout for FO3, FOSE4+ & stuff like that to ever happen, after all ;)