Fomm - Custom Build - 0.14.11.13

New weird bug. For some reason there's an .ini file that installs in a temp folder, so if you run a program like CCleaner that deletes all temp files FOMM breaks and has to be reinstalled. I'd need to run CCleaner again and re-break it to get the error and the exact file path. On the bright side it's an easy fix, as all you have to do is run the installer again with no changes to any files.

Open CCleaner > go to "Options" > "Exclude" > "Add" > select file or folder radio > navigate to the offending file (from FOMM) > add it to the exclude and CCleaner shouldn't delete that file again. Haven't tried it but will shortly because of a very badly coded program has dropped ini logs that aren't transferred when you create a new user account. This should work. You can do the same if you want to clean out specific files completely as well that aren't part of CCleaner's normal file cleaning process.

Anyway that should solve any FOMM related problems you are having without having to reinstall the program each time you run CCleaner.

This is all well and good, and I know about CCleaner file exceptions. But why in the hell is an .INI vital for installing and removing mods even in the temp folders to begin with?

New weird bug. For some reason there's an .ini file that installs in a temp folder, so if you run a program like CCleaner that deletes all temp files FOMM breaks and has to be reinstalled. I'd need to run CCleaner again and re-break it to get the error and the exact file path. On the bright side it's an easy fix, as all you have to do is run the installer again with no changes to any files.

Open CCleaner > go to "Options" > "Exclude" > "Add" > select file or folder radio > navigate to the offending file (from FOMM) > add it to the exclude and CCleaner shouldn't delete that file again. Haven't tried it but will shortly because of a very badly coded program has dropped ini logs that aren't transferred when you create a new user account. This should work. You can do the same if you want to clean out specific files completely as well that aren't part of CCleaner's normal file cleaning process.

Anyway that should solve any FOMM related problems you are having without having to reinstall the program each time you run CCleaner.

This is all well and good, and I know about CCleaner file exceptions. But why in the hell is an .INI vital for installing and removing mods even in the temp folders to begin with?

That is something for Pride to answer. I don't remember having that issue before and I have used FOMM and CCleaner for a number of years. Surely that issue should have popped up during that time.

• 2 months later...

Hello world!

Sorry, had real IRL issues, I'm started to working on next version and I hope, soon will be able to publish it.

I've started to make new version from scratch so I will take some time.

If anyone has feature requests - please write them. I'll try to work out some worklog.

BTW: betatesters needed, PM me if you will to check so-so working previews...

Hello world!

Sorry, have real IRL issues, I'm started to working on next version and I hope, soon will be able to publish it.

I've started to make new version from scratch so I will take some time.

If anyone has feature requests - please write them. I'll try to work out some worklog.

BTW: betatesters needed, PM me if you will to check so-so working previews...

The current trend is virtual folder or the systmlink thingy.. lol. What is the possibility of that being added? Even NMM has something along those lines now. Other than that I saw nothing wrong with the version we currently have. Strong, solid and very reliable. ;)

I will think about it, but IMHO it is some kind of hipster ideology.

I think I will focus on MII ("Mod Install Instruction") so people could share their mod loadouts, that will be apply in automatic mode as it seems as more problematic aspect of fallout modding...

System like: every user can upload "recipes" to install bunch of mods in batch, may be even with merge patches...

It is the wave of the future.. There is something to be said about keeping your install clean.. ;).

I think I will focus on MII ("Mod Install Instruction") so people could share their mod loadouts, that will be apply in automatic mode as it seems as more problematic aspect of fallout modding...

System like: every user can upload "recipes" to install bunch of mods in batch, may be even with merge patches...

That sounds quite complex.. Also how would that work with the unique builds and desires? That could be real nice for those Tutorial threads. One can get the needed files and such and just have the "recipes" to cover the installation of a very complex and complete system (as a base).. If I am understanding this idea properly. If (not sure if you will) you did this for Skyrim as well that could be very useful as there are some very complex tutorials and setups to run.. I personally don't have too much difficulty getting very complex setups for Fallouts running. Not sure about others. Might work well with Sexout ;). yea.. might work quite well with that. Again if I understand it correctly.

Anyway.. another idea..

Perhaps setup that would allow individuals to check this site like they can with Nexus? See if there are any updates. Download the needed files?

You got idea correct.

ATM my focus is on Fo games (Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Fallout 4) but as make this system from scratch and know about problems of old FoMM I can easily add support of ES games (Morrowind (or may be Open Morrowind), Oblivion, Skyrim) as Fo4 is updated Skyrim.

Old FoMM had such system as premade fomod script (or so), I just want to make this system a bit cleaner, like any user can "record" actions in installing mod archives one by one with decisions of to/not override files from previous archive.

Just like notes how to perform music  :blush:

The only issue I ever really had with FOMM was that the BSA Browser did not allow the deletion of files.

wut

The only issue I ever really had with FOMM was that the BSA Browser did not allow the deletion of files.

wut

I will think about BSAEditor integrated in FoMM

About "wut"

When Windows will normally support normal hardlinks and softlinks - then it will be possible to make normal and sturdy, atm directory "juctions", hardlinks and softlinks @ NTFS file systems working not quite normal (compared to Linux)

When Windows will normally support normal hardlinks and softlinks - then it will be possible to make normal and sturdy, atm directory "juctions", hardlinks and softlinks @ NTFS file systems working not quite normal (compared to Linux)

I don't understand. Windows does support softlinks and MO does not seem to have any trouble with its process.

The only issue with Unified HUD that I am aware of wasn't with the mod itself, it was with the scripted installer, and the installer was set up in such a way that it could be easily fixed so long as you knew what you actually had installed. I had no issues with Unified HUD other than the installation, and it promptly became obsolete shortly thereafter, making it moot.

You got idea correct.

ATM my focus is on Fo games (Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Fallout 4) but as make this system from scratch and know about problems of old FoMM I can easily add support of ES games (Morrowind (or may be Open Morrowind), Oblivion, Skyrim) as Fo4 is updated Skyrim.

Old FoMM had such system as premade fomod script (or so), I just want to make this system a bit cleaner, like any user can "record" actions in installing mod archives one by one with decisions of to/not override files from previous archive.

Just like notes how to perform music  :blush:

I like the idea of Fallout 4 support. And it would be make sense if it was built that it can eventually support the other Bestheada games like Oblivion/Skyrim as well.

Last time I checked MO It used "move" routine as this operation require little to no time to complete but it had global problems with heavily dependent mods as Unified HUD...

Not sure of the function but it is a very useful aspect. Without it many would be pulling their hair out with Skyrim. Corruption of the base game files not good. The reason I bring this up is many mod managers are moving towards this functionality. Since you want to build a new version from Scratch it would make sense that you explored those options during the initial design.

The only issue with Unified HUD that I am aware of wasn't with the mod itself, it was with the scripted installer, and the installer was set up in such a way that it could be easily fixed so long as you knew what you actually had installed. I had no issues with Unified HUD other than the installation, and it promptly became obsolete shortly thereafter, making it moot.

Yes. And that wouldn't even been needed except MO hides other mods from each other. Scripted mods can't see the other mods. I am sure there was something that could have been done but Tannin was working on other features and bug fixes to worry about that support. Also finally I used MO before even UIO the only thing I needed to do was run FOMM through MO and install everything into FOMM (the hud mods) and then use the Make mod option of the overwrite folder. Done. It was solid.

I believe that problem has been fixed with the newest versions of MO. I don't see anyone having problems with that setup now. Anyway. it was just an idea that I wanted to mention because it is a very popular feature in mod managers. Even if you don't do this and continue with the mod scripting opton you mention and fix the BSA thing Zippy mentioned and just generally make it more solid. It would be a very refreshing update to FOMM.

I believe that problem has been fixed with the newest versions of MO.

From what I remember the problem wasn't with MO itself, but rather with the plugin it used to handle specific types of install scripts. Judging from how well MO2 handles FO4 installers, that is no longer an issue; whether that's from an MO change or a change in the plugins I'm not entirely sure.

MO has changed. Not sure where it has changed but do remember they were having some problems with scripting that should have been fixed in one of the recent updates. I would love to see how MO2 handles FO4 installers... however it can't get past the python error. :(. Maybe the new version will be fixed quickly and I can use that (anything except NMM if at all possible. Hell I even start going back to manual install to avoid that manager. )

• 1 month later...

I am getting a weirdly...lazy, for lack of a better word, error message.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so...

attachicon.gifThe File Exists.jpg

The fuck? I get this for any mod that replaces existing content, up to and including menus. As I'm rebuilding my game from scratch, this means I can't install UI mods like DarnUI or MCM.

Getting this same problem all of a sudden.  No idea why since it's never been an issue before.  Uninstalled and reinstalled both FOMM and FNV a couple times to sure.  Launching FOMM isn't an issue, just getting it to install a mod.  Just get that error after it tries to install a mod. 

I use NMM for FO4 and it works fine.  Tried to see if NMM would install any mods for FNV.  Similar issue.  Tries to install mod, then just goes "idle" and nothing installs. 

I'm confused.  Any advice?

The fuck? I get this for any mod that replaces existing content, up to and including menus. As I'm rebuilding my game from scratch, this means I can't install UI mods like DarnUI or MCM.

Getting this same problem all of a sudden.  No idea why since it's never been an issue before.  Uninstalled and reinstalled both FOMM and FNV a couple times to sure.  Launching FOMM isn't an issue, just getting it to install a mod.  Just get that error after it tries to install a mod. 

I use NMM for FO4 and it works fine.  Tried to see if NMM would install any mods for FNV.  Similar issue.  Tries to install mod, then just goes "idle" and nothing installs. 

I'm confused.  Any advice?

This error means your temp folder is full...

Look here for a good answer.

https://taleoftwowastelands.com/content/problem-occurred-during-install-file-exists-error-message

Nope.  C:\users\<user name>\  Actually no AppData from this point on.  I was looking for the c:\users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Tem 

string, but never got that far.

edit:  Okay.  I found the file. Finally.  Now I'm just trying to delete the files in there.  OMG there's so many.  It's sick.  There's a message about Nvidia preventing me deleting.  I'll try again.  At least I found it.

edit2: Thanks for the responses guys.  Zippy hit it on the nail.  Just a slight oversight of navigation on my part to locate the file.  I guess there were a few files inside the temp file I didn't need to delete, but most of it I trashed.  Sure enough, with 40GB free space opened up, FOMM is working again.

to Nuke or not to nuke         c:\users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Temp  \*.*   when     FOMM is sullen and recalcitrant excuse for a mod organiser.Do files exist or NOT? FOMM knows but do you?

Short observation

Sweet deleting temp files works awesome , you kick ass!

Long observation

Oh my god the depth of my stupidity are amazing as well as my ability to randomly use other to solve problems .

Ok so being an expert and having installed fonv X2 in my life  I realized it would be an absolute snap to reinstall everything!

2-3  hrs later fonv up and running 30 + mod installed everything is going sweet!

I hit a brick wall cant figure it out. Eureka!  I have 2 version of fomm running and they do not play well together.Figures computer geeks to fight over the technical stuff.  . What a goose !well shit something else is wrong  2 hrs later my finger is poised to nuke the install .l Hell lets check LL one last time ! Sweet deleting the temp files works ! Windows and Fomm work well together unless windows has to much to temporarily, or hidden  reading to do :)

CCleaner should clean up most if not all your issues in the future. Use the clean function then use the registry cleaning function after uninstalling whatever and it should be good to go forward. No need to manually go through and delete and find the files for most of the time.

So stupid some technical people! why are not cc cleaner and fomm packaged together or something :)