IGNORED

Skyrim screenshots and copyrights

Hello everyone. Like so many of us, during my playthroughs I have taken quite many adult oriented screenshots. However, just lately an idea came to my mind to make my very own little adult oriented game or mod, unrelated to Skyrim. Because I'm a bad artist and I got so many pictures, I was thinking of modyfying some of my screenshots to make some art to my game. However, I'm not entirely sure how the copyrights work when it comes to screenshots. Can Bethesda or some of the mod creators of the mods I'm using theoretically sue me for using Skyrim graphics, even if they are my own captures. How about if I modify then to an extent they are practically unrecognizible? Can I use them in my game if it's free? How about if I were to commercialize my work?

Just as general line:

Using a single screenshot, in case you mention the source, it is not considered a problem.

Using a lot of screenshots is a copyright violation.

If you alter a lot the screenshot, at the point they cannot be related anymore to the original, then they are new items no more related to the original. Of course you have to alter them in a way that nobody can identify them.

You are not allowed to used some parts that are like "trademarks" (some examples: the logo of the game, the title of the game, the loading pages, the menu items, some location that can be recognized by everybody, some characters that can be identified immediately as part of the game (default player with the horn helmet, or the guards))

If you do something just for fun and free, it is less problematic.

For commercial games just forget this idea.

I sort of a had a feeling this would be the case. Well, no can do. I might still try to just very roughly trace the character outlines or something because I dont think those can be recognized by anyone. If i'm to do anything at all in the end. I guess working as a single man team is not really doable unless you are very skilled at many fields on the same time or satisfied with subpar results.

Btw, as my last ditch effort. Are there any places where you can find adult pictures with free to use CC licence or anything. I tried to check but couldnt really find.

1 hour ago, ASDASDASD_Smasher said:

Hello everyone. Like so many of us, during my playthroughs I have taken quite many adult oriented screenshots. However, just lately an idea came to my mind to make my very own little adult oriented game or mod, unrelated to Skyrim. Because I'm a bad artist and I got so many pictures, I was thinking of modyfying some of my screenshots to make some art to my game. However, I'm not entirely sure how the copyrights work when it comes to screenshots. Can Bethesda or some of the mod creators of the mods I'm using theoretically sue me for using Skyrim graphics, even if they are my own captures. How about if I modify then to an extent they are practically unrecognizible? Can I use them in my game if it's free? How about if I were to commercialize my work?

You're getting some bad advice so I'll add the voice of reason to this.   Bethesda does NOT own your screenshots.  They reserve the right to USE your screenshots in promotions, as advertisement, etc. but they don't own shit.  Mod authors do NOT own your screenshots of stuff they've made.  If they did, they'd own practically every screenshot on every forum on the internet.  That isn't the case.

Using screenshots for your own game; Bethesda would have to demonstrate that what you're doing somehow infringes on their brand name, affects their brand in a negative way, or denies them financial gain.  If that were the case all of the paid SFM projects that use Skyrim models and textures wouldn't be around, and Lover's Lab would have been flushed down the toilet years ago.  Just because Bethesda says they retain the rights doesn't mean they enact them.

If what you're doing has the potential to earn millions of dollars then YES that would peak Bethesda's interest.  If what you're doing is a fan project that will go on Patreon or whatever then don't worry about it...just don't upload it here.