Jump to content
Call me Mark

Anime

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, dgbl18 said:

Check out Fencer of Minerva, has a large emphasis on sex, but not straight storyless hentai.

Oh shit, that's the anime spiritual successor to the Gor fantasy/sci-fi pulp series! I totally forgot about that. Thanks man!

41 minutes ago, Captain Cobra said:

Bible Black :^)

Yeah... seen them all. Story could have used a bit more work, IMO.

Link to post

Er. Berserk is good. At least the manga is anyway. I heard the first anime adaptation was alright but the rest were bland.

 

I only really read the first 700 pages and thought it was good. Does it have sex? It certainly doesn't shy away from it as sex was on the very first page. It isn't the whole point of Berserk but I would still suggest it as an overall good manga.

Link to post

Golgo-13, not that the sex is shot in a way as to make it particularly stimulating to those so inclined. It is clear from Duke's expression (or lack thereof) that it is a compulsion for him but not something that he enjoys very much. That series is about the world's foremost assassin, not the world's foremost ass man, after all.

Rin: Daughters of Mnemnosyne would also be recommended as it is just something that the immortal protagonist indulges in but it does not occupy much time in the plot at length. 

Link to post

 

2 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Er. Berserk is good. At least the manga is anyway. I heard the first anime adaptation was alright but the rest were bland.

 

I only really read the first 700 pages and thought it was good. Does it have sex? It certainly doesn't shy away from it as sex was on the very first page. It isn't the whole point of Berserk but I would still suggest it as an overall good manga.

Agreed. The manga was better.

 

1 hour ago, FauxFurry said:

Golgo-13, not that the sex is shot in a way as to make it particularly stimulating to those so inclined. It is clear from Duke's expression (or lack thereof) that it is a compulsion for him but not something that he enjoys very much. That series is about the world's foremost assassin, not the world's foremost ass man, after all.

Rin: Daughters of Mnemnosyne would also be recommended as it is just something that the immortal protagonist indulges in but it does not occupy much time in the plot at length. 

Golgo 13 looks interesting. Looks to be in the same theme and animation era as Crying Freeman. I'll have to give it a go.

Link to post

Despite my knowing that it would not be saddled with the cultural baggage that comes with stories on the topic from the United States of America, I have still found myself pleasantly surprised that the Beastars series seems to be written by those who approach the concept with some degree of thoughtfulness rather than limiting it all by making it into yet another tiresome analogy for some modern cultural issue or another.

It is genuine Speculative Fiction but for Convergent Evolution or the long term after effects of wide scale genetic engineering rather than, say, robotics (the issue which many Japanese writers treat in a similar fashion to Americans' handling of works inspired by Beast Fables, amusingly enough, which is to say as the subject of humor or childrens' fare).

 

The primary author as well as those doing the adaptation perhaps already knew just how unsuitable such subject matter is for simple allegory about things such as race relations or international relations so no attempt is made to restrict it to directly applicable situations. For example, human 'races' are merely their equivalent of breeds so Hybrid Vigor is not a factor during any 'mixing' yet it can be explored where analogues are not considered. For that matter, an herbivore stripper being more popular than her carnivore counterparts because the customers see her as a literal piece of meat also has no clean human-to-human analogue (if surface level details were bought into play, then it would be something along the lines of black jaguar people  versus snowy mountain cat people). 

 

The CGI is not even too bad (partly due to it being cel-shaded) though I still would prefer the hand drawn art seen in limited spurts in flashbacks and the like. It is not quite as jarring as the jump from cel-animation to CGI in the Ghost in the Shell franchise (also on Netflix). Then again...

 

If it keeps on the trajectory that it is, it might end up a new classic (even if the CGI eventually comes to look horribly dated).

Link to post
46 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

Despite my knowing that it would not be saddled with the cultural baggage that comes with stories on the topic from the United States of America, I have still found myself pleasantly surprised that the Beastars series seems to be written by those who approach the concept with some degree of thoughtfulness rather than limiting it all by making it into yet another tiresome analogy for some modern cultural issue or another.

It is genuine Speculative Fiction but for Convergent Evolution or the long term after effects of wide scale genetic engineering rather than, say, robotics (the issue which many Japanese writers treat in a similar fashion to Americans' handling of works inspired by Beast Fables, amusingly enough, which is to say as the subject of humor or childrens' fare).

 

The primary author as well as those doing the adaptation perhaps already knew just how unsuitable such subject matter is for simple allegory about things such as race relations or international relations so no attempt is made to restrict it to directly applicable situations. For example, human 'races' are merely their equivalent of breeds so Hybrid Vigor is not a factor during any 'mixing' yet it can be explored where analogues are not considered. For that matter, an herbivore stripper being more popular than her carnivore counterparts because the customers see her as a literal piece of meat also has no clean human-to-human analogue (if surface level details were bought into play, then it would be something along the lines of black jaguar people  versus snowy mountain cat people). 

 

The CGI is not even too bad (partly due to it being cel-shaded) though I still would prefer the hand drawn art seen in limited spurts in flashbacks and the like. It is not quite as jarring as the jump from cel-animation to CGI in the Ghost in the Shell franchise (also on Netflix). Then again...

 

If it keeps on the trajectory that it is, it might end up a new classic (even if the CGI eventually comes to look horribly dated).

Computer generated content already is used in several popular anime not counting the recent Attack on Titan adaptation though I have heard from the manga fans that it still has better art than the manga. I'm more talking about something like certain scenes in the fate franchise. Anyway good CGI is really only good when you don't notice it. Given how much I love Land of the Lustrous I may end up watching Beaststars. Who knows. One day we may not be able to tell the difference at all but until then this looks pretty good for CGI.

Link to post
15 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Computer generated content already is used in several popular anime not counting the recent Attack on Titan adaptation though I have heard from the manga fans that it still has better art than the manga. I'm more talking about something like certain scenes in the fate franchise. Anyway good CGI is really only good when you don't notice it. Given how much I love Land of the Lustrous I may end up watching Beaststars. Who knows. One day we may not be able to tell the difference at all but until then this looks pretty good for CGI.

I'd say that the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure adaptation from David Production is already there, at least in most shots. There are a handful of instances where the lighting reveals that everything is a 3-D model rather than cel animation.

Link to post
5 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

I'd say that the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure adaptation from David Production is already there, at least in most shots. There are a handful of instances where the lighting reveals that everything is a 3-D model rather than cel animation.

Hard to say. JoJo always did look bizarre to me😜

Link to post
On 4/6/2021 at 11:42 AM, Doctor Cadaver said:

I just realized that the sequel to Megalo Box started a couple of days ago.  Downloading the first episode now.  I typically don't watch sports animes, but this is definitely an exception.

 

I've never heard about this one at all. I'll be curious to see if it is like Hajime No Ippo but with less diversions taken for homo-eroticism and more focus on the sport itself, for better or worse. 

Link to post
8 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

I've never heard about this one at all. I'll be curious to see if it is like Hajime No Ippo but with less diversions taken for homo-eroticism and more focus on the sport itself, for better or worse. 

It seems people compare Megalo Box more to Ashita no Joe than Hajime no Ippo.  There's a bit of drama in and out of the ring, but the fights are the main focus.  The protagonist is basically an underdog fighting his way to the top.

 

Megalo Box 2: NOMAD follows up on the story, a few years later.  If you're still interested, watch the first season beforehand.

Link to post
19 hours ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

It seems people compare Megalo Box more to Ashita no Joe than Hajime no Ippo.  There's a bit of drama in and out of the ring, but the fights are the main focus.  The protagonist is basically an underdog fighting his way to the top.

 

Megalo Box 2: NOMAD follows up on the story, a few years later.  If you're still interested, watch the first season beforehand.

Now that I've actually seen episode 1, I can see the appeal beyond the typical sports show. It is a dystopic sci-fi tale that just so happens to star a hardluck boxer mixed with a Rockem Sockem Robot. 

Link to post

Megalo Box got me curious about Ashita No Joe and now I see that the show starts off in a similar manner, with a drifter in a seedy town looking to use his skills to get somewhere in life rather than what would become a formulaic tale of some starry eyed kid looking to become the very best simply for the sake of gaining fame and fortune.

I suppose that could be because of the time period in which it was written, making those tropes as of yet un-codified. Much of the anime from that time period is as intriguing as it is due to a lack of any pressure to conform to genre norms which did not exist at the moment. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, FauxFurry said:

Megalo Box got me curious about Ashita No Joe and now I see that the show starts off in a similar manner, with a drifter in a seedy town looking to use his skills to get somewhere in life rather than what would become a formulaic tale of some starry eyed kid looking to become the very best simply for the sake of gaining fame and fortune.

I suppose that could be because of the time period in which it was written, making those tropes as of yet un-codified. Much of the anime from that time period is as intriguing as it is due to a lack of any pressure to conform to genre norms which did not exist at the moment. 

Indeed.  Typical anime nowadays lack any depth or variety.  Seeing something breaking from the norm, such as Megalo Box, is definitely appreciated... especially in this age of isekai or harem tropes.

Link to post
On 9/19/2020 at 12:04 AM, FauxFurry said:

After watching a bit of the Dragon's Dogma adaptation, I am left a bit confused.

Why did Netflix bother picking up a series with a redheaded light skinned protagonists when they are just going to have to turn around and turn him black, anyway? The game allowed one to make dark skinned characters and most of the characters in the game are some shade of brown so it would not be out of the ordinary to start him off black to begin with.

Do they actively enjoy the process of Gingerasure so much that they continually need fresh targets to undergo mega melanin metamorphosis?

Netflix runs an algorithm on what people like and then spend money on  that.  I can't say it's perfect, but it is, apparently, profitibale.

Link to post

A lot. Currently rewatching The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. with a friend. Recently finished Dorohedoro and Aggressive Retsuko.

 

From the currently airing ones I'm watching My Hero Academia and Joran, will have to find time for others.

Link to post
On 5/4/2021 at 6:50 PM, M.BISON said:

hajime no ippo!

 

imo most anime now a days is too weeby

 

Too Weeby? How do you mean? These are animations made by-and-large for Japanese audiences by Japanese creators. They can hardly be Weeaboos.

 

Now, if you were referring to RWBY, High Guardian Spice or NeoYokio, then you might be onto something. 

Link to post

Of all of the animated shows from Japan that White American Cultural Imperialists grumble about, I find it peculiar that Fairy Ranmaru never seems to be spat from their collective snarling maw in disgust. I wonder why.

fairy-ranmaru-anata-no-kokoro-otasuke-shimasu.png.3c6e546c3740099466034897a595d7ee.png

Link to post
On 6/11/2021 at 7:26 AM, FauxFurry said:

Too Weeby? How do you mean? These are animations made by-and-large for Japanese audiences by Japanese creators. They can hardly be Weeaboos.

 

Now, if you were referring to RWBY, High Guardian Spice or NeoYokio, then you might be onto something. 

yeah weeby might have been the wrong word to use

 

what i mean is all the characters/story follow the same arc type, skinny looking, socially awkward or dont care attitude. That somehow posses the ability to defeat foes that have trained for 100s of years because he/she has some hidden latent abilities (but i think a lot of animes do this, the good ones like HxH find ways around this).  I think overall imo most animes now just lack in story telling and character development? Well at least for me anyway

Link to post
5 hours ago, M.BISON said:

yeah weeby might have been the wrong word to use

 

what i mean is all the characters/story follow the same arc type, skinny looking, socially awkward or dont care attitude. That somehow posses the ability to defeat foes that have trained for 100s of years because he/she has some hidden latent abilities (but i think a lot of animes do this, the good ones like HxH find ways around this).  I think overall imo most animes now just lack in story telling and character development? Well at least for me anyway

Other suggested phrases could be: Formula. Stock. Cliche. Trend Chasing. Borderline Plagiarism. Genre Fiction. 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...