JayDrizzle

SkyrimVR Compatibility Tracking (5/6/21)

1 hour ago, tasairis said:

A few things in the first post are borrowed (with permission) from my thread, so I'll pop in here real quick.

What's going on there?

I have that change queued up for my next update on Sunday.

I do know about UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics, but is it a relatively new addition? Like within the last two years or so? As far as I remember, ENBoost was for people who "didn't want" ENB - whatever that might mean. Is it maybe more lightweight than a regular ENB install?

Noted.

Skimmed the support thread and haven't seen much about this. Are you saying the download comes with a BSA and it's in the old format?

BTW, by making this thread I don't want to make more work for you by having to scan this thread for updates.  Most of what this thread will be for is VR specific patches/bugs/workarounds/CTD/etc.   Keep up the awesome work!

5 hours ago, tasairis said:

What's going on there?

When using RaceMenu High Heels, it is not recommended to run hdt High Heels along with it since RaceMenu should handle everything. However, a lot of mods have hdtHighHeel.esm as a master, so they won't work without it. The mod I linked provides this plugin without its extra records, so it doesn't run any of the normal hdtHighHeels content but allows mods that require it to still load.

From the mod author's Nexus page description:

Up until now, if you wanted to use Racemenu High Heels for SSE to take over for hdtHighHeels.esm, you would have to edit the dependent mod in xedit, removing all the references, etc.  With this mod, you don't need to do that.  No need to try and find a new DLL next time CC content is updated, etc.  Just use this mod.  It fulfills the master dependency that keeps any dependent mod from loading, but lacks any of the hdtHighHeels functionality (which will be provided by Racemenu High Heels). Technically your dependent mod will report errors if checked, but things will work just fine (as long as you get Racemenu High Heels...).  If that isn't the case, let me know in the comments and you can return the mod at no cost to you.

Lazy Heels is an alternative for non-Racemenu users.

16 hours ago, prinyo said:

What is the point of using ENB boost for SSE/VR?  

I do know about UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics, but is it a relatively new addition? Like within the last two years or so? As far as I remember, ENBoost was for people who "didn't want" ENB - whatever that might mean. Is it maybe more lightweight than a regular ENB install?

It's probably useless to really use it nowadays, but there are threads going back as far as 2014 with the feature mentioned. It's very old. ENBoost is one of those features that most people are probably not educated on. I certainly am not completely, but I'm sharing what I do know. When UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false, ENBoost is not running. Since ENB functions are running, I believe ENBoost cannot run simultaneously. The point is that your ENB decides your performance loss or gain and there are performance-friendly ENB's. I believe there have been some in the past that performed very well in comparison to vanilla actually.

However, when UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true, ENB functions are disabled and ENBoost is turned on. This was intended to reduce microstutter and stabilize the game, and was mainly intended for people with very low-end hardware I believe. Any gaming computer in the last 5 years should be able to handle SSE fairly modded at this point, so ENBoost has become a thing of the past really.

If you try to open the Skyrim ENBoost page, this is what you get:

opera_2021-05-07_17-39-56.png.762b2f0305a28668f93000de07e73506.png

As you can see, ENBoost is included. Download a Fallout ENBoost is NOT the way you should enable it, which is what I was pointing out here. That link should be removed from this OP. I have no idea what kind of issues that could cause for certain people.

Skimmed the support thread and haven't seen much about this. Are you saying the download comes with a BSA and it's in the old format?

I believe the Patched SexLab Tools comes already unpacked. My mistake. But I think the "patched" version simply extracts the BSA, and calls it "patched". Lol. The original SE version made available had a BSA I think, and it was causing a lot of problems. My mistake on that.

4 hours ago, JayDrizzle said:

BTW, by making this thread I don't want to make more work for you by having to scan this thread for updates.  Most of what this thread will be for is VR specific patches/bugs/workarounds/CTD/etc.   Keep up the awesome work!

Just another drop in the bucket. No worries.

9 hours ago, XenoDrake said:

It's probably useless to really use it nowadays

Yes, that's why I asked. Bringing it up in a thread about SkyrimVR only adds clutter and confusion. ENB Boost is used for:

1. Avoid the 4GB (3GB) crash with Oldrim only. It spawns a second process and the memory the game uses is shared between them so it won't go above 3.1 GB.

2. Helps with old PCs with lower specs that by default can't run VR at all.

So the only thing that needs to be said about ENB Boost in a VR thread is that it is completely irrelevant.

Spoiler
13 hours ago, XenoDrake said:

When using RaceMenu High Heels, it is not recommended to run hdt High Heels along with it since RaceMenu should handle everything. However, a lot of mods have hdtHighHeel.esm as a master, so they won't work without it. The mod I linked provides this plugin without its extra records, so it doesn't run any of the normal hdtHighHeels content but allows mods that require it to still load.

From the mod author's Nexus page description:

It's probably useless to really use it nowadays, but there are threads going back as far as 2014 with the feature mentioned. It's very old. ENBoost is one of those features that most people are probably not educated on. I certainly am not completely, but I'm sharing what I do know. When UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false, ENBoost is not running. Since ENB functions are running, I believe ENBoost cannot run simultaneously. The point is that your ENB decides your performance loss or gain and there are performance-friendly ENB's. I believe there have been some in the past that performed very well in comparison to vanilla actually.

However, when UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true, ENB functions are disabled and ENBoost is turned on. This was intended to reduce microstutter and stabilize the game, and was mainly intended for people with very low-end hardware I believe. Any gaming computer in the last 5 years should be able to handle SSE fairly modded at this point, so ENBoost has become a thing of the past really.

If you try to open the Skyrim ENBoost page, this is what you get:

opera_2021-05-07_17-39-56.png.762b2f0305a28668f93000de07e73506.png

As you can see, ENBoost is included. Download a Fallout ENBoost is NOT the way you should enable it, which is what I was pointing out here. That link should be removed from this OP. I have no idea what kind of issues that could cause for certain people.

I believe the Patched SexLab Tools comes already unpacked. My mistake. But I think the "patched" version simply extracts the BSA, and calls it "patched". Lol. The original SE version made available had a BSA I think, and it was causing a lot of problems. My mistake on that.

Spoiler
6 hours ago, prinyo said:

Yes, that's why I asked. Bringing it up in a thread about SkyrimVR only adds clutter and confusion. ENB Boost is used for:

1. Avoid the 4GB (3GB) crash with Oldrim only. It spawns a second process and the memory the game uses is shared between them so it won't go above 3.1 GB.

2. Helps with old PCs with lower specs that by default can't run VR at all.

So the only thing that needs to be said about ENB Boost in a VR thread is that it is completely irrelevant.

Very informative.  ENB Boost has been removed.  This was a hold over from the SE compatibility thread and I am sure there are several other quirks left in the list that need ironed out.  Not to speak for the dead or dying but would it be possible for the ENBoost to actually help a lower end PC play VR? I understand that it would require an ultra light plugin and probably not worth it.

Just asking to fully inform any future readers about ENB Boost for VR.  No need to comment unless you have an anecdote and feel like Heimskr sharing the good news. 

My thoughts are: It would probably not be worth playing SkyrimVR if Enb boost was required for the pc to even play the game.