Ashal

Skyrim SexLab - Sex Animation Framework v1.62 - UPDATED Jun 3rd 2016

I know this is a stupid question quite possibly (couldn't find an answer through searching) is there a specific reason that the animation limit for sexlab is set to 500 for characters because I recently hit this limit?

I am having trouble getting Sex Lab to work.  Skyrim loads to the menu and I can select a new game or load an existing game.  Once that game is loaded, if SexLab Framework tries to "load" automatically or via the MCM menu option I will get a CTD right after "Loading Sexlab Voices" appears in the upper left hand corner.  

In troubleshooting this issue, I have pared down my load order to the following:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp
SexLab.esm
SOSRaceMenu.esp
XPMSE.esp
SkyUI.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp

I have blown away my Skyrim Install and my Mod Manager so many times I'm not even sure how many times I've done it.  I've done my best to work through the troubleshooting steps but nothing has helped.  I am using the latest version of Skyrim from Steam, FNIS, SKSE, and SkyUI are all the current versions.  I've tried messing with the load order, made sure to re-download sexlab, but nothing helps.  Once SexLab tries to install itself in game, I will always get a CTD.  

Any Ideas?

I am having trouble getting Sex Lab to work.  Skyrim loads to the menu and I can select a new game or load an existing game.  Once that game is loaded, if SexLab Framework tries to "load" automatically or via the MCM menu option I will get a CTD right after "Loading Sexlab Voices" appears in the upper left hand corner.  

In troubleshooting this issue, I have pared down my load order to the following:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
SexLab.esm
SOSRaceMenu.esp
XPMSE.esp
SkyUI.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp

I have blown away my Skyrim Install and my Mod Manager so many times I'm not even sure how many times I've done it.  I've done my best to work through the troubleshooting steps but nothing has helped.  I am using the latest version of Skyrim from Steam, FNIS, SKSE, and SkyUI are all the current versions.  I've tried messing with the load order, made sure to re-download sexlab, but nothing helps.  Once SexLab tries to install itself in game, I will always get a CTD.  

Any Ideas?

Looking at the logs, I still can't figure out what's going on.  The last entry in all my papyrus logs is "[07/20/2017 - 12:45:32PM] SEXLAB - Expressions[12] Custom5 - Custom 5" which I assume is where Skyrim then crashes.

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
SexLab.esm
SOSRaceMenu.esp
XPMSE.esp
SkyUI.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp

Any Ideas?

Looking at the logs, I still can't figure out what's going on.  The last entry in all my papyrus logs is "[07/20/2017 - 12:45:32PM] SEXLAB - Expressions[12] Custom5 - Custom 5" which I assume is where Skyrim then crashes.

Long story short, it appears there is something with the newer version of MO.  I've cleaned out my MO profiles before and reinstalled it but it wasn't until I went to an older version of MO that things started working correctly.

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
SexLab.esm
SOSRaceMenu.esp
XPMSE.esp
SkyUI.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp

Any Ideas?

Long story short, it appears there is something with the newer version of MO.  I've cleaned out my MO profiles before and reinstalled it but it wasn't until I went to an older version of MO that things started working correctly.

Just wanted to stop in and say thanks for posting this.  I've had this issue the last 3 days and have been going crazy trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

What version of MO did you go back to where its working?

I know this is a stupid question quite possibly (couldn't find an answer through searching) is there a specific reason that the animation limit for sexlab is set to 500 for characters because I recently hit this limit?

Because the scripting language for Sykrim was designed by a fucking idiot!

Knowing full well that it would be a bad idea the designer placed a limit of 256 on all arrays so the original limit on animations was one array as large as the game allows.

In more recent versions of Sexlab it was updated to allow for multiple arrays of animations (which was a hell of lot of work to decide how to do it and then implementing all through the mod).

The most recent version raised it to approximately 4 arrays worth of animations because it looked like a number that would suffice for quite a while since it was at the time allowing for a lot more animations than were available.

Then we got a number of animators all creating a lot of new animations and once again we have more animations than the framework can handle.

I suggest you disable some of the animations you don't like or animations that are too much alike or animations you don't think you'd like to make room for the rest of the animations you'd like to add.

But if you like them all, you'll just have to be patient and see if the limit is raised in the next version whenever it get released.

(Much of this could have been figured out by perusing the change log or by reading the whole thread though at this point with 594 pages that would be a long term project).

Thanks for responding on the topic I see that is very annoying then.

The thing is I do disable them but I am constantly starting my game over and SLAL doesn't have a save function to save the ones you don't like so doing that everytime would take forever and I don't know how to go into the mod and just remove them.

The main issue with raising the limit beyond 500 is speed. The more animations you install, the longer it'll take for sex animations to start. And 500 animations is already an excessive amount that is guaranteed to slow things down in SexLab.

I'd argue that at 500, you're just installing anything and everything, you'd probably be better served by being more selective with your installed animations and using sexlabs suppress animation system to prevent any installed animation you don't like taking a slot. 

Every animation slot added increases the potential for animation problems. I'm already hesitant to have 500 like it does now in this regards. But I recognize enough people have been asking for it that I may increase it to 750 or so next update but no promises; I'll have to do some testing first to see if it can even handle that many without issues.

I understand, thanks for explaining it if it really causes a bad slowdown then I would say you're right not to add it and yea basically I wanted alot of choice so that I would less likely see the same animations being played twice although there are still some animations I don't like but they're few.

If there are animations you don't like, I would strongly recommend going to the SexLab MCM toggle animations page, disable that specific animation, then go to the last MCM page and click "Suppress Disabled Animations" then clicking the option on that page to reset the animation registry.

Once an animation has been entered into the suppressed list this way, they will never show up again, and will not take up any animation slots so you have more room in the current 500 limit.

Ah... that's why it takes so long now in my games. I'm not even sure if i should wish for a higher limit, knowing pretty will that i probably can't resist... but that's my responsibility, no reason not to do it imho.

Question: Am i right that SLAL animations installed but not registered to sexlab don't count here for the speed, and for suppressed animations as well?

You're wrong though if you believe it's hard today to reach the limit... it would probably be hard to hit 750 immediatly, but only because it's 500 for creatures and 500 for humans. And those limits are quite easy to reach now. Another reason that would stop me from 750 each is the FNIS limit, i'm not too far with pretty much sex animations only and using the XXL version... unless fore offers an XXXL version, at least nobody would exceed 750. ;)

Question: Am i right that SLAL animations installed but not registered to sexlab don't count here for the speed, and for suppressed animations as well?

If they're not registered, then SexLab isn't going to be aware of them at all when selecting animations for a scene. The only negative of having SLAL animations installed but not SexLab-registered is that you're filling up FNIS with animations that you're not actually using.

You're wrong though if you believe it's hard today to reach the limit... it would probably be hard to hit 750 immediatly, but only because it's 500 for creatures and 500 for humans. And those limits are quite easy to reach now.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to max out the limit nowadays. I have 152 animations suppressed by SexLab, and I'm still at 493/500 registered. I think the main cause for most people is the FunnyBizness' SLAL pack, which not only has an insane number of animations to begin with, but also tends to release tweaks/improvements as new animations instead of updating the existing ones. If you go through that pack to suppress all the similar or outdated animations, you can easily shave off 50-100 of them.

so the animations aren't working for me at all every time I try to engage in any scene I'm just sanding there moaning like an idiot I don't know what to do

The first thing you should consider is that you're asking at the completly wrong place. This is the development thread, meant for reporting bugs, suggestions, and status updates.

I think i've answered this questions 20 times per week, could you just read any of those in the help section?

If there are animations you don't like, I would strongly recommend going to the SexLab MCM toggle animations page, disable that specific animation, then go to the last MCM page and click "Suppress Disabled Animations" then clicking the option on that page to reset the animation registry.

Once an animation has been entered into the suppressed list this way, they will never show up again, and will not take up any animation slots so you have more room in the current 500 limit.

Yeah, I came to this realization as well, and purged all the animations I don't use, and got my game down to just a few dozen animations. I made custom SLAL packs with just the animations I want and suppressed all of SL's built-in animations (other than Leito's).

But, all those SL animations are still registered in FNIS and bloating up my game (contributes to game load times and the so called "FootIK Crash"), and the few Leito anims from SL I do want I could just put in my SLAL pack.

So I wonder, would there be any consideration to releasing a "lite" version of SexLab that doesn't have any built-in animations at all, for those of use that just want to handle that with SLAL and run a minimal amount of installed animations?

Yeah, I came to this realization as well, and purged all the animations I don't use, and got my game down to just a few dozen animations. I made custom SLAL packs with just the animations I want and suppressed all of SL's built-in animations (other than Leito's).

But, all those SL animations are still registered in FNIS and bloating up my game (contributes to game load times and the so called "FootIK Crash"), and the few Leito anims from SL I do want I could just put in my SLAL pack.

So I wonder, would there be any consideration to releasing a "lite" version of SexLab that doesn't have any built-in animations at all, for those of use that just want to handle that with SLAL and run a minimal amount of installed animations?

You could theoretically suppress every default animation and delete SexLab's default animation and behavior files.

You could theoretically suppress every default animation and delete SexLab's default animation and behavior files.

That is a little bit extreme, also because we should support basic users that have no clues how to install other animations.

Maybe a [clean everything] button to simplify the operation, but no more than that.

That is a little bit extreme, also because we should support basic users that have no clues how to install other animations.

Maybe a [clean everything] button to simplify the operation, but no more than that.

I meant more for personal use. This shouldn't be default behavior in SexLab, god forbid, I meant if @anony_mouse wanted to only use their own SLAL animations, and not the ones provided in SexLab, they could just suppress all animations as is, and register their own.

I meant more for personal use. This shouldn't be default behavior in SexLab, god forbid, I meant if @anony_mouse wanted to only use their own SLAL animations, and not the ones provided in SexLab, they could just suppress all animations as is, and register their own.

Ashal already told the way to do it.

Right now is 4 clicks and a waiting between the 3rd and 4th.

The only thing we can think of, that can be ignored by normal users, and not difficult to find for advanced users, is a single button to do it quickly in the admin options.

I don't think you are understanding CPU, the animations are already suppressed like Ashal pointed out. That only speeds up SexLab's scripts and in-game performance, but suppressed animations are still installed to the game and registered via FNIS and SL includes a lot of animations, almost all of which most would probably consider very outdated and low quality compared to the newer stuff from users like Leito and Anub.

That's why the question was about a possible "lite" version of SL without any bundled animations (obviously not for the standard release).

Suppressing the bundled animations and then simply deleting the assets does seem very extreme, that doesn't really seem like the proper way to do things. I don't know how the mod is going to react if those files are missing, what if you start a new character? What is SL going to do when it initializes? Etc.

I don't remember if SL uses a FOMOD installer, but separating the bundled animations from the rest of the mod and letting the user choose which to install, if any, could be a way to do it that covers all bases. Installed by default for standard users but unchecked by more experienced users that don't need those old animations.

As we all know, large amounts of animations registered via FNIS increases load times and eventually causes the so called "FootIK crash" where the game crashes to desktop after loading, and you need to load a safe save first or use the "Continue Game No Crash" mod or things like that. Most of the knowledge about these crashes, as well as the fixes, have all been discovered and researched in the last year, after the last SL release (the latest fix, the Load Game CTD fix, was literally just released on the Nexus two days ago), so providing more options about which animations the mod installs seems like it would be a good idea now that people are aware that too many registered animations causes loading related problems in the vanilla game.

Suppressing the bundled animations and then simply deleting the assets does seem very extreme, that doesn't really seem like the proper way to do things. I don't know how the mod is going to react if those files are missing, what if you start a new character? What is SL going to do when it initializes? Etc.

Ah, right, I forgot about the requirement checks in the MCM before you even install SL. SL does seem to use a few custom animations when starting and ending animations it seems, so I guess it isn't that simple besides editing the FNIS behaviors yourself. :s