true the mod would be needed but would you want a cool and new race to play or gripe about having to dl and install one lone mod to make it all work :P.

True but I am unsure how the water combat mod works

hmm I do understand what you mean there.. tbh I am not entirely sure how well it would work reguardless half the games I have every played with under water combat failed at it lol.

true the mod would be needed but would you want a cool and new race to play or gripe about having to dl and install one lone mod to make it all work :P.

hmm I do understand what you mean there.. tbh I am not entirely sure how well it would work reguardless half the games I have every played with under water combat failed at it lol.

I'm questioning how immersive it would be... would weapons swing slower and do less damage, will bows be nearly useless, will daggers actually dominate and will spells change usefulness (Fire be a waste of time) It probably acts like oblivion

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd like to see a version of the mermaid tail that begins below the hips, rather then at the waist, which is how mermaids were actually thought to be - before Disney's Little Mermaid film. Cleans up certain bodily functions issues, lol.

Yep!

Damn you Disney... Ruining everything at every turn

Basically, at least back from my tabletop days, Spells, shouts, and other mystical attacks and defenses would become moot in battle. Fire would be quickly extinguished, Ice would freeze and generalized area starting at the caster, Water and Air would simply cause a current effect (possibly an effect like unrelenting force), and electricity would pretty much rampage both caster and any nearby target. Shouts, well little to no voice underwater would stop them.

That would leave melee and unarmed. Depending on how close to reality you would want, it would severely change as well. Spear type weapons would become the dominant types, and only via thrusting means. Slashing, bludgeon, or any swinging type of attack would become severely hindered with water retention. Resulting in slower attacks and minimal if any damage. Missile weapons would primarily become useless with exception to close range crossbow. Then it would at max (meaning point blank) become a thrusting damage scale. Unarmed would be another strong suit of fighting. Mainly grapple and bashing, though the punch and kicks would become slower and hit for less damage.

If you wanted a reason for a mermaid race, about the only true viable means would be for underwater breathing, body change in and out of water, and possible underwater villages, ruins, treasure hunting, or caverns to explore.

Basically, at least back from my tabletop days, Spells, shouts, and other mystical attacks and defenses would become moot in battle. Fire would be quickly extinguished, Ice would freeze and generalized area starting at the caster, Water and Air would simply cause a current effect (possibly an effect like unrelenting force), and electricity would pretty much rampage both caster and any nearby target. Shouts, well little to no voice underwater would stop them.

That would leave melee and unarmed. Depending on how close to reality you would want, it would severely change as well. Spear type weapons would become the dominant types, and only via thrusting means. Slashing, bludgeon, or any swinging type of attack would become severely hindered with water retention. Resulting in slower attacks and minimal if any damage. Missile weapons would primarily become useless with exception to close range crossbow. Then it would at max (meaning point blank) become a thrusting damage scale. Unarmed would be another strong suit of fighting. Mainly grapple and bashing, though the punch and kicks would become slower and hit for less damage.

If you wanted a reason for a mermaid race, about the only true viable means would be for underwater breathing, body change in and out of water, and possible underwater villages, ruins, treasure hunting, or caverns to explore.

While not entirely relevant, I thought I'd note that your issues on what would be useful in water are not entirely accurate.  Fire for example while extinguished, would likely still be fairly dangerous as it would instead result in boiling water to be used.  While how effective it is would vary based on the actual normal effects of the spell and the shape of the area it targets, given the key part of a fire spell's damage is the heat, boiling water and steam can work just as well as fire.

As for ice, most ice spells in fiction tend to create some ice object and use it as a projectile.  These would likely be fairly unhindered by being in water, while those that simply make an area of cold would instead cause that area to freeze, possibly being more effective as a result (or having their functionality changed from harming enemies to encasing them).  That said, those that cause a cold enough projectile or area may run the risk of freezing the water around the caster, trapping him or her as well.

Water as noted would likely just result in currents, but given that when used out of water it is making water strike with enough force to cause harm (or drowning the target), the currents made will likely similarly strike with such force, making it akin to using air spells in the air.  Air spells in turn would most likely be similar, but with the difference of being air pockets, or just strong currents striking hard enough to cause harm.  While they might be slowed due to added resistance from the water, given the magical nature of the force propelling them, they may well still strike fairly unhindered.  Drowning spells in turn are likely to be entirely unaffected, working on those they would already work on and not those who are normally immune.

Electricity as noted would be rather dangerous provided the spell does not actively control the flow of the electricity.  If it does, it may well keep it from spreading freely through the water.

As for shouts, sound travels better through water than through air.  However, as you noted, the issue of performing the shout still comes up.  In that regard, if you can't breathe under water, then attempting a shout may well result in you drowning, which rather lessens their effectiveness in combat.  Given that spells in general seem to have verbal components in Skyrim, this would be a problem with most all of them.  That said, for someone like a mermaid who can freely breathe in water, or someone utilizing a spell to do so, they wouldn't have any issue there.

All said, magic would tend to work well enough while submerged.  As for physical means of killing people though, what you said is fairly accurate, aside from projectiles still having some effective range, even if it is rather reduced.

As the conversation of combat goes Fire wouldn't do much for boiling the water, because of Skyrim's arctic climate, unless you have pretty much THE most intense fire based spell possible (even more so at the coast) 

Edit: That or consistent heat

As the conversation of combat goes Fire wouldn't do much for boiling the water, because of Skyrim's arctic climate, unless you have pretty much THE most intense fire based spell possible (even more so at the coast) 

WHO CARES???????? I WANT A MERMAID Xl

WHO CARES???????? I WANT A MERMAID Xl

Well yes, that is what we should go for before combat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So im sorry to be bumping this post or thread, but i am wondering if i might be able to use your tail as a part of a mod im makeing and working on on the nexus. i will give all due credit and a link.

Sure, I was hoping some one would pick this up. I can provide some assistance if you need. My id on Nexus is ruchard19840706. As you can see the same as my LL id except with a typo.

Edit; In fact I can probably resume work on the mesh if you need. I actually had intended on adding a few more fins.The main problem I had when I was making this was that I couldn't texture or bone weight it properly. If any texture painter and blender artist, who knows how to bone weight better that I do, then I can definitely see this get done as good as possible. I can also help out with the scripting and coding and creation kit editing.

So im sorry to be bumping this post or thread, but i am wondering if i might be able to use your tail as a part of a mod im makeing and working on on the nexus. i will give all due credit and a link.

I would be cautious about providing a direct link from Nexus to LoversLab, Nexus are a bit ban happy. Perhaps they're jealous of LL?