I loved Asharas Sirens and Tritons for Oblivion and I really hoped for something similar in Skyrim. Since I haven't seen or heard anyone try to do the same thing for Skyrim. I thought well maybe I can give it a shot.

Right now have the mermaid tail mesh nearly completed. I still need to do the weight painting and texturing, but I think its good enough to start a wip topic and get some advice, suggestions, and help from the community.

Right now I having trouble with how to texture it.

Here is a screenshot of the tail.

screenshoton4192013at64.png

Edit: I've included a blend file in case anyone wants to work on it.

mermaid APRIL 21.rar

Might make it where the mermaid (or mermen if you doing both gender) to be able to form legs on land and back to fish when in the water.

Could make it a spell.

That's what I intend to do. Asharas Siren and Triton for Oblivion did that and that's what I want to recreate for Skyrim.

It may have to be passive affected though because you cannot cast in water and how you'd get out is a bit of a wonder... maybe a slither like walking animation?

Before getting the stuff in the game, I need to finish the mesh first and I've run into a bit of a problem right now. I want to attach the tail mesh to the tail bones right now, but I can't find a mesh in which both the tail and the rest of the body bones exist together. Neither do I know how the import the bones directly from the skeleton.nif file.

The tail is a different character, you wont find any mesh weighted to the tail bones, other then Argonian and Khajiit tails. But you want to attach that tail on your OP to the tail bones? because if you want to do that, its not a good idea

Yeah I sort of figured that out after looking at the skeleton a bit more. I'll probably just weigh it to the legs and calves.

bad idea aswell, the tail will spread like a skirt on certain animations (imagine sneak or running, where the legs spread from each other). The best way to do this would be to create a new rig with a mermaid tail specific boneset and then weight to it. I dont know if XPMS has that or not though. its fairly easy to create a new rig though

I look at Sirens and Tritons for Oblivion and the tail was weighed to the leg bones. I don't know how to create new bone sets, so that's the best I can do. Unless anyone's willing to create the bone set, weigh and do the animations. I'll need to stick with the vanilla bones.

To avoid animation problems with sneaking and running and pretty much anything on land. I will be making the tails only equip when you start swimming. Thus I will only need to replace the swimming animations.

Such that on land you have legs. Start swimming and your legs turn into a fish tail. Come back on land and your tail becomes a pair of legs.

bad idea aswell, the tail will spread like a skirt on certain animations (imagine sneak or running, where the legs spread from each other). The best way to do this would be to create a new rig with a mermaid tail specific boneset and then weight to it. I dont know if XPMS has that or not though. its fairly easy to create a new rig though

I dont think a mermaid would be able to neither sneak nor run.

My opinion is that it should "walk" (crawl rather) simiralry to the Honkers. Unless of course the mermaid turns to human when out of the water (similarly to films). If not it should just stay close to the water like honkers do.

If you can make something like the honker animations or use the existing ones then a good way would be to turn to mermaid when you start swiming (at that point also add the waterbreathing spell cus a mermaid drowning would be both hilarious and just wrong :-)) and when you go out, you just crawl out of the water, turn to human and stand up. 

*Edit

I'll just make a few images of mermaids to give you some ideas about texturing I hope  :angel:

Just a quick status update. I've figured out how I should texture this and just need to go back and perfect the uv mapping. I'm pretty sure I'll be weighing the mesh to the leg bones like Sirens and Tritons in Oblivion.

Also, I'll need to stop modding for about a month after May 7th due to a small surgical procedure. I'll post what I have done up till then as a resource if anyone wants to work on it when I can't.

Some mermaids are able to morph their tails into feet, when out of water for an extended period tho'. This could be a transformation mod; but the aforementioned would only happen after the player has been on land for an arbitrary period of time (say, 2 mins).

Simple Script to make them become a mermaid in water would be 

If Game.GetPlayer() .isSwimming or InWater =1 

SetRace Mermaid or transform ( like a werewolf)

(or something like that)

Mind you that script is no way accurate but I am sure it's somewhat right as the frame for it works.

Might make it where the mermaid (or mermen if you doing both gender) to be able to form legs on land and back to fish when in the water.

Could make it a spell.

That's what I intend to do. Asharas Siren and Triton for Oblivion did that and that's what I want to recreate for Skyrim.

It may have to be passive affected though because you cannot cast in water and how you'd get out is a bit of a wonder... maybe a slither like walking animation?

I have forgotten where, but i have seen a mod that lets you use spells and weapons in water before

Could make it a spell.

I have forgotten where, but i have seen a mod that lets you use spells and weapons in water before

But then the mod would be required