Jump to content
  • Sign Up
IGNORED

Trying to create a mod for sims 4


Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, berrylice3@gmail.com said:

Does anyone know where to start or what I need to try and create a mod for the sims 4?

What kind of mod do you want to create?

As a first step, lets watch videos about modding in youtube. 

Then go to this page: Sims 4 Studio

After registration you can download the program, and follow the steps described the youtube videos. Depending the mod you would like to create you must have Photoshop or similar image editor program (Gimp 2 is free and easy to use: Gimp 2.10)

If you want to create animation, lets go here: tutorials

Link to comment

I think you need to start by defining what you want to create. If 'superficial' modifications like new aesthetic content (hair, clothes, objects, etc.), Sims4 Studio is an excellent choice.
If you want to create traits, careers, aspirations, I recommend using The Sims Constructor. I believe it offers more options.

 

But if you want to modify questions that will change or come into direct contact with the structure of the game, I advise you to learn how to program. Because most deep mods need script changes, which you only do when programming.

 

This site here has some aspiration / traits tutorials on Sims Constructor: https://kisakijro.wordpress.com/sims4/

Link to comment
2 hours ago, BiaX said:

I think you need to start by defining what you want to create. If 'superficial' modifications like new aesthetic content (hair, clothes, objects, etc.), Sims4 Studio is an excellent choice.
If you want to create traits, careers, aspirations, I recommend using The Sims Constructor. I believe it offers more options.

 

But if you want to modify questions that will change or come into direct contact with the structure of the game, I advise you to learn how to program. Because most deep mods need script changes, which you only do when programming.

 

This site here has some aspiration / traits tutorials on Sims Constructor: https://kisakijro.wordpress.com/sims4/

Thanks, but does the Sims 4 Studio also allow creation of aspirations, careers, and traits? I wanted to create an adult interactive career (kind of like nisa's wicked perversions) with buffs as well as a normal one and normal buffs that associate with reaction to eating foods (like pizza, giving a specific buff depending on what kind was eaten...and so on). I kind of wanted to try to start off small by creating traits, I'm not sure if this would be harder because I know nothing about coding.

Link to comment

I've been trying to follow this python coding guide...but I'm stuck at the part where I need to install uncompyle6 to decompile the files I guess. And I've been trying to follow the guide in using windows shell to do that, but I keep getting error messages. I downloaded python 3.7.9 and the latest uncompyle6 from the website, all that I'm doing now is repeating the steps from the guide, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what I need to do. Can anyone help?

Link to comment

Right now I'm trying to follow ~The Sims 4 Modern Python Modding: Part 1 — Setup~, but I'm having an issue with the decompyle step. Then there are other guides. I'm not sure which would be the best to follow. I wanted to make a career mod similar to Nisa's WP, but have the name of the profession show up where the sims career and schedule is. But I also don't want it to be scheduled. And then I wanted to create a mod that's a clinic or hospital with different wings(though this would probably be very intricate and difficult to construct) where sims can go in for check ups, go through tests, get shots, prescriptions, go through surgeries, procedures...etc. And a few traits and aspirations, some to go with what I just mentioned.

 

Okay, so if I wanted to learn about how to start creating a mod, career/aspiration/trait plus interactions, and the career not be a rabbit hole, what would you suggest be the BEST option for a beginner who has no idea on how to code or what the code means?

Link to comment

Hopefully you have Get-to-work. Then Zerbu's Turbo Career mod may be a good mod to look into to understand how much scripting vs. XML editing is needed.

Zerbu has also a mod constructor to add traits and aspirations.

Link to comment
16 hours ago, Oops19 said:

Hopefully you have Get-to-work. Then Zerbu's Turbo Career mod may be a good mod to look into to understand how much scripting vs. XML editing is needed.

Zerbu has also a mod constructor to add traits and aspirations.

I downloaded zerbu's turbo career mod and mod constructor, but it there a guide in using it?

Link to comment

The careers should work if you have GTW but you may only want to look at the package details with s4s as a reference what files have to be modified.  

 

I hope there's something on youtube or in forums. The mod constructor looks indeed very complex. Modding TS4 with these XMLs is a science. I prefer writing Python code only but while filtering all interactions with an interceptor in Python works it seems to be much better to do this in XML and let the game engine handle it. Anyhow there one may hit the problem that allowing cooking or swimming temporarily using a state machine may be even more advanced.

Link to comment
On 3/2/2021 at 12:42 AM, Oops19 said:

The careers should work if you have GTW but you may only want to look at the package details with s4s as a reference what files have to be modified.  

 

I hope there's something on youtube or in forums. The mod constructor looks indeed very complex. Modding TS4 with these XMLs is a science. I prefer writing Python code only but while filtering all interactions with an interceptor in Python works it seems to be much better to do this in XML and let the game engine handle it. Anyhow there one may hit the problem that allowing cooking or swimming temporarily using a state machine may be even more advanced.

Yeah I don't know if there are any guides on using it, so right now I'm a little lost at what to do...but thanks for the info.

Link to comment

Is there any known guide on how to create a mod using python or using mod constructor or somewhere I can learn about the coding process needed for modding? Because I’m just sitting around wanting to try and start to make a mod. 

Link to comment

On MTS you should find some mods and guides, eg by Scumbumbo. The best way to get started may be to download one of Scumbumbo's mods - he has usually included the sources (teleporter, poseplayer are short mods). He wrote also a guide to add super affordances to the mailbox.

On S4S are many tutorials, also about about Python.

My HH mod is quite long but still simple, it comes with sources.

Link to comment
On 3/8/2021 at 12:15 AM, Oops19 said:

On MTS you should find some mods and guides, eg by Scumbumbo. The best way to get started may be to download one of Scumbumbo's mods - he has usually included the sources (teleporter, poseplayer are short mods). He wrote also a guide to add super affordances to the mailbox.

On S4S are many tutorials, also about about Python.

My HH mod is quite long but still simple, it comes with sources.

Thanks.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Where is a site of link to learn about xml tuning? Because I was on a site learning some things about python already, but I want to know what xml tuning is and how that goes into modding.

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...

Is there a guide on knowing how to differentiate what's what when using python? There's all these folders and I'm not sure what everything is with base, core, simulation and so on.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...