Porting Meshes from Skyrim to Oblivion using Blender

kosukosu1

Hmm Gerra, I've had a similar problem (although luckily for me the distortion is to a much lesser degree. Kind of.)

Here's a pic -

post-242783-0-53666700-1388639920_thumb.jpg

Because it wasn't screwed up on import I've been able to fix it by clearing rotation/alt+r in pose mode though!! But if I screw up I have to pose everything again.

Anyway... thanks a bunch kosu and Gerra! :)

That's weird...I have no idea why an Oblivion skeleton would get jacked like that...one question...how did you do the import?

Did you select the skeleton and import mesh only and parent to selected?  If so, try importing the skyrim mesh without initially parenting it to the Oblivion skeleton.  Once it is imported, if everything looks fine, delete the skyrim skeleton (or import it without a skeleton), delete the skyrim boneweights, copy the Oblivion boneweights to the skyrim mesh, and then import/parent an oblivion skeleton.

Another alternative is to just use an Oblivion mesh with a skyrim pose as a template, and use my stand-alone boneweight copy tool to replace the skyrim scene root with an Oblivion scene root.

Note: scene root replacement is not available on the public version of my boneweight copy tool, but I can send you a dev version that contains that experimental feature...if you promise to tell me if it works.

I deselect all and import the mesh without parenting.

Just to be clear, I want the +Parent buttons to be light right? Or should they be dark? This version of Blender is a relic compared to what I am used to using.

Another thing, after using the Make Real option, if I tab into Edit Mode, the upper body of the Skeleton will switch back to the t-pos but not the mesh... My understanding is that it is not suppose to do that, correct? I have no idea if that is something that would cause the skeleton to freak out when I import the Skyrim mesh or not though.

I would be more than happy to use your tool and let you know if and how it works. I would probably need some instructions too though.

Hmm Gerra, I've had a similar problem (although luckily for me the distortion is to a much lesser degree. Kind of.)

Here's a pic -

attachicon.gifasdfg.jpg

Because it wasn't screwed up on import I've been able to fix it by clearing rotation/alt+r in pose mode though!! But if I screw up I have to pose everything again.

Hmm.

That looks like what you would get if my pose converter tool applied the Oblivion to Skryim rotation on a Skyrim-posed mesh parented to an Oblivion armature.

Would you mind posting the Blend file.  I'd like to see if I can figure out what's going on.

Here's a pic -

attachicon.gifasdfg.jpg

Hmm.

That looks like what you would get if my pose converter tool applied the Oblivion to Skryim rotation on a Skyrim-posed mesh parented to an Oblivion armature.

Would you mind posting the Blend file.  I'd like to see if I can figure out what's going on.

Hi! Oh no, I didn't get the instructions wrong, did I? >_<

I converted the Oblivion skeleton to a Skyrim pose. Then did the steps with the body etc, imported the Skyrim mesh and parented it to the Oblivion skeleton (which then caused the mesh and skeleton to look like the picture I posted). Essentially what was laid out in step 3?

Here is the blend file 111111.rar.

OK...here's what's happening.

My experimental Pose Converter tool autodetects the type of armature and limits the selection of available poses to those that convert from that armature, not to that armature.  The theory was that you wouldn't want to, say, add Oblivion weightpainting to a Skyrim mesh until you had converted it to an Oblivion pose.  There's a reason for that...things get really weird in Blender when you start changing the root bone transforms of an imported Armature...I don't know *why* they get weird, but they do.

Despite having written the Pose Converter, I really don't know much about animation and armatures.

Your best bet is to take the Skyrim weightpainted version of the mesh, import it to convert the pose to an Oblivion rest pose, make the transform real, and delete the skeleton.  Next, export the mesh *without* an armature.  This gives you a raw mesh that's probably nothing more than a list of trishape nodes

Next, use my stand-alone boneweight copy script to copy the skins, bones, rigging, and weighting from an Oblivion mesh to your mesh.

At that point, the mesh should be ready to go.  If there are any problems, open the nif if nifskope and run the skin partitions spell and that should fix them.

*Edit* Whoops...I forgot to mehtion BSLightingShaderProperty.  You'll need to replace nodes in nifskope, just follow the posted tutorial for that part.

Yeah, the Beta.05 version is the latest revision of the tool (matches the dev version ATM).

At this point it should handle any rigging related mesh conversion issues.  

It won't actually touch the BSLightingShaderProperty.  I'm getting ready to code out a stand-alone tool that should be able to handle the Posing, the rigging, and the lighting.  I'll probably focus on the posing and the rigging first, and then tackle the lighting later.

OK...here's what's happening.

My experimental Pose Converter tool autodetects the type of armature and limits the selection of available poses to those that convert from that armature, not to that armature.  The theory was that you wouldn't want to, say, add Oblivion weightpainting to a Skyrim mesh until you had converted it to an Oblivion pose.  There's a reason for that...things get really weird in Blender when you start changing the root bone transforms of an imported Armature...I don't know *why* they get weird, but they do.

Despite having written the Pose Converter, I really don't know much about animation and armatures.

Your best bet is to take the Skyrim weightpainted version of the mesh, import it to convert the pose to an Oblivion rest pose, make the transform real, and delete the skeleton.  Next, export the mesh *without* an armature.  This gives you a raw mesh that's probably nothing more than a list of trishape nodes

Next, use my stand-alone boneweight copy script to copy the skins, bones, rigging, and weighting from an Oblivion mesh to your mesh.

At that point, the mesh should be ready to go.  If there are any problems, open the nif if nifskope and run the skin partitions spell and that should fix them.

*Edit* Whoops...I forgot to mehtion BSLightingShaderProperty.  You'll need to replace nodes in nifskope, just follow the posted tutorial for that part.

Wow, that saves a hell of a lot of work x_x Thank you for explaining this. I wish I'd have thought of it sooner.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys. I am sorry for bothering everyone again but I just can't find Make Real button anywhere, and yes I am using 2.49b version of Blender. I downloaded it from here.

kingkong said where that button suppose to be:

the 'make real'  for the skeleton pose is  in 'object' 3rd position near the 'select'    

for the mesh 'make real' is found   in the bottom window 'panel'  in 'edit mod' ( f9    key)    under the 'modifiers' selection just after "add modifier "  and before "Armature"

but as you can see from this image there's nothing there between Add Modifier and Armature and I looked in both edit and object modes.

untitled_1_by_nightshade715-d74nzu0.png

That could mean a couple of things.

The armature needs to be fully poseable. When you imported the nif, it probably imported with a partial armature that could not be properly animated. Did you delete that armature and then import a skeleton.nif with 'import skeleton only and parent selected' enabled?

The armature might not have been posed yet. Did you pose the armature and then add a keyframe to it (Pose Converter can do that automatically).

If the armature has not been posed, there is nothing to 'make real'.

As long as we're on this topic, I've started working on a stand-alone automatic conversion tool. We'll see how it does.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. God, I can't believe it, I'm such a noob!

As it turns out I never had 'Import Skeleton Only + Parent Selected' enabled. Those different colors used on the options confused me and I thought that the lighter colored ones meant that they're enabled. XD

Thank you very much for the help, everything works great.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, kosukosu1...

I have a problem in following your tutorial in these steps:

• Now your body is converted to the Skyrim pose, but you need to apply the pose. To do this, select the upper body mesh and hit the Make Real button
  • Then hit the Apply button for "Scene Root.01" - that's the skeleton
  • Now your body should be permanently in that position - hit Tab to go to Edit Mode to make sure your mesh is in the Skyrim pose
  • Go into Pose Mode and choose Pose -> Apply Pose as Rest Pose - this permanently changes the skeleton

The problem is: the upperbody mesh is not has its arms pointing downwards in Edit Mode, after I hit Make Real button & hit Apply button for Scene Root.01.

Is that normal?

The problem is: the upperbody mesh is not has its arms pointing downwards in Edit Mode, after I hit Make Real button & hit Apply button for Scene Root.01.

Is that normal?

If the mesh pose changes when you tab in and out of edit mode, it means that there is one or more unapplied modifiers on the mesh.

Select the mesh object, open the 'edit' panel of the 'button' menu and look for the modifiers. If you see an armature modifier listed, there is probably either an 'apply' or 'make real' button.

Oh...so the right one is: the mesh pose changes or no changes (when you tab in and out of edit mode)?

Yesterday I stucked in step number 6, where I can't find "Map Input" tab.

I googled & found where the "Map Input" tab is, but couldn't find it in my work.

So probably there's a mistake from the beginning.

I planned to restart the tutorials again & ask if I've got trouble in certain steps.

• 3 weeks later...

To assist in the conversion between Skyrim-Fallout-Oblivion nifs, I've coded an experimental tool that will automatically convert the pose from one game to another.

This eliminates the need to run my Blender Pose Converter tool. And, frankly, this tool does a better job and is easier to use than my Blender tool.

Convert Pose

Features:

1. Convert a Skyrim Rigged nif to either Fallout or Oblivion rest pose

2. Convert a Fallout Rigged nif to either Skyrim or Oblivion rest pose

3. Convert an Oblivion Rigged nif to either Skyrim or Fallout rest pose

Using Convert Pose:

1. Run Convert Pose.bat

2. Click File -> Target Options -> and select either the File(s) or the folder that you want to process

3. Click Game -> and select the game that you want to convert from and to. Example: Game->Oblivion To->Skyrim.

4. Click OK

The tool will automatically convert the mesh pose to be compatible with the selected game. This version of the tool is compatible with the vanilla Skyrim, Fallout, and Oblivion skeletons.

Download: Convert_Pose b_02.7z

Will it also rename the vertex names to make them compatible between various games ?? Skyrim skeleton bones is named totally different then for example Fallout to oblivion while most bone names from oblivion are almost identical to fallout skeleton.nif

Also is this version different then the one in the other post since it is named _02 and the other is 01.

Will it also rename the vertex names to make them compatible between various games ?? Skyrim skeleton bones is named totally different then for example Fallout to oblivion while most bone names from oblivion are almost identical to fallout skeleton.nif

Convert Pose converts the pose of the mesh/bones, nothing else. So a Skyrim rigged Nif converted to an Oblivion pose will still be a Skyrim rigged Nif.

However, once the pose has been modified to match an Oblivion pose, it can now be rigged by Mesh Rigger to use an Oblivion skeleton and boneweights.

Also is this version different then the one in the other post since it is named _02 and the other is 01.

They're fairly similar. b_02 has a few experimental modifications to the way that it modifies skeletons that make it a bit more useful when dealing with nifs rigged with complete skeletons. Other than that they're pretty much the same.

Archived