Simdulgence body hair (but updated) (outdated)

Simdulgence body hair (but updated) (outdated)

View File

I consider this mod to be outdated.

It works as expected for the current (pre-high school) version of the game but with official body hair coming soon and Simdulgence back at the helm I have no interest in maintaining this further.

• I like a “maxis match” style and currently maxis-match body hair is, de facto, what’s shown in the trailer. Closer to luumia’s body hair than Simdulgence’s.
  • Body hair will be in a new category and will grow in base game, so WW will necessarily need to update and break this.
  • As mentioned, Simdulgence is back anyways at this point, taking away like 90% of my reason to keep this maintained.

PLEASE READ THIS DESCRIPTION.

This is an unofficial update for Simdulgence's body hair that fixes all of the problems I had with it:

• wild_guy's default body hair was always applied to new townies, as this is hard-coded.
  • Simdulgence's body hair didn't have growth enabled.
  • Simdulgence's body hair (in Wicked Whims) didn't include arm hair, armpit hair, leg hair, or ass hair.
  • there's not enough Simdulgence female body hair. At the very least I was missing something hairier than "shrub" but less hairy than "bush".

I've fixed all of that.

• I've overridden a Wicked Whims XML file to re-define Simdulgence body hair as the new default. Yes, this is a bit ugly. I can't help that.
  • Growth has been enabled for all Simdulgence body hair.
  • Arm, armpit, leg, and ass hair has been added where appropriate. If you ignore shaving long enough, your Sim ladies will grow hairy legs and your Sim men will start to resemble cavemen.
  • I'm not much of an artist, but I put together a new trimmed bush based on Simdulgence textures.

This mod REQUIRES:

• Wicked Whims
  • Simdulgence's male body hair (simdulgence_cas_ymTattoo_BodyHair.package).
  • Optionally, Simdulgence's Patreon-exclusive female body hair (simdulgence_cas_yfTattoo_BodyHair.package). Download sheepishnudist-simdulgencebodyhair-maleonly.zip instead of sheepishnudist-simdulgencebodyhair.zip if you don't have that.
  • Optionally, Simdulgence's Patreon-exclusive male body hair (simdulgence_cas_ymTattoo_BodyHairExclusives.package). Delete sheepishnudist-simdulgencebodyhair-m-exclusive.package and sheepishnudist-simdulgencebodyhair-m-exclusivecashider.package if you don't have that.
  • Optionally, Simdulgence's Patreon-exclusive body hair for females with penises (simdulgence_ym2fBodyHair_v1.0.package). Delete sheepishnudist-simdulgencebodyhair-fp.package and sheepishnudist-simdulgencebodyhair-fp-cashider.package if you don't have that.

Optional (yet recommended) CAS hiders are included to keep body hair out of your tattoo section. With this mod you won't need any of it, unless you want some weird combination of body hair I didn't think of.

Mac Users:

I never realized how annoying things can be for Mac users until I got my own, and I already saw somebody else in this forum with an error that I'm reasonably confident came from this mod.

Sims 4 in Mac loads mods Z-A, not A-Z. This is important. My overrides need to override both Simdulgence and Wicked Whims, which is partly why the files are named sheepishnudist..., so they get loaded earlier than simdulgence and Turbodriver.

You'll need to rename things to fix this, I suggest just renaming my files and putting ZZ or something at the start of the filename. So long as it's sorted alphabetically lower.

Fun fact, this also affects Simdulgence's work. Their _AddonNoTexture files will need to be renamed to _NoTexture so they get loaded later than the _Base file they're overriding. Similarly, I suggest prepending WW_ to all Simdulgence files since a few of them expect to be able to override Wicked Whims itself.

If you ignore the above you can expect errors on a Mac.

(not so) Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: I get a pubic_hair exception from Wicked Whims when I try to use these files, everything is broken!

A: Are you using a Mac? Please read the Mac section you missed. If you're on Windows, please post the error and let me know in the comments.

Q: Why aren't your new textures showing up in CAS tattoo section?
A: The point of this mod is to let you use Wicked Whims to handle body hair. I included the CAS hiders for the same reason.
Q: Can I use your work for my own mod?
A: Everything I've done I consider public domain, have at it. I don't care. Just respect Simdulgence's "terms of service". It's my hope that Simdulgence can use this as a basis for further updates.
Q: It's not working!
A: I need to override Wicked Whims and Simdulgence's files. Make sure that my mod is (alphabetically) somewhere above them in your mod folder. Alternatively, maybe you don't have one of the requirements. Please re-read the description.

Q: Not all of EA's hair swatches have body hair available!

A: Simdulgence hasn't updated the body hair since EA released the new swatches, and I'm not confident enough in my photoshop editing to add support for them. Simdulgence's body hair for females with penises is also missing some extra swatches, notably the unnatural hair colors.

Q: You're missing some of Simdulgence's body hairs for females with penises. Can you add support for them?

A: I'd rather not, I like the ones I selected. The others all have chest hair, and in my opinion it looked pretty bad in CAS. Large-breasted females caused the textures to stretch and distort, and my nipple skin details overlayed over them awkwardly.

2 hours ago, SophieModan said:

This is great but I'm not able to find Simdulgence's female body hair anywhere 

Apparently it's a Patreon exclusive. Sorry! I actually didn't realize that when I released this.

I'll reconsider a male-only version, although the Simdulgence hair will clash visually with the wild_guy female hair.

4 hours ago, SheepishNudist said:

Apparently it's a Patreon exclusive. Sorry! I actually didn't realize that when I released this.

I'll reconsider a male-only version, although the Simdulgence hair will clash visually with the wild_guy female hair.

No problem, thank you for your great work anyway.

Would you consider using these if you happen to do a male-only version? 

4 hours ago, SophieModan said:

I'll work on a male-only version for the next release. I'm not going to include variants with the Luumia hair though, I'm personally happy with the Simdulgence hair and it would mean adding quite a few new variants to the list.

The todo list has already expanded, as I noticed I'd forgotten another patreon-exclusive body hair: body hair for females with penises. Partial support for that will be in the next release.

3 hours ago, farthamma said:

Awesome mod. Any chance fem arm hair could be worked in as well?

Sure, I'll add a variant for women that has arm hair. It won't be a standard growth step though, so you'd have to set it manually for the sim.

Added a (hopefully final) update. I'll use it in my game and fix it if it breaks, but I've accomplished pretty much everything I set out to. Please report bugs though, I'll happily fix them.

I renamed the files, make sure you delete my old ones.

• made a male-only variant because the female textures are Patreon-locked.
  • added arm hair variants for females. They aren't a standard growth step, though.
  • added partial support for the (somewhat incomplete) Patreon-exclusive females-with-penises body hair. See last FAQ question.

Instructions for any modders that want to delete the 'overriding Wicked Whims defaults' portion of this mod are below. It might be helpful, who knows. Maybe I'll disappear. I won't be doing this myself unless Wicked Whims allows official support for overriding the defaults.

1. Find the overridden Wicked Whims XML file and delete it. If you un-merge it'll be in sheepishnudist-simdulgencebodyhair-f-iconsandxml.package. Shouldn't be hard to find, it's got "TURBODRIVER:WickedWhims_BodyHair_PubicHair_CAS_Parts" at the top and the XML is empty.
  2. Find the two overridden Simdulgence XML files and delete every "cas_part_unique_identifier" line with extreme prejudice.
  3. Optionally, come up with a new name and category for the Simdulgence clean shave body hair options.
On 1/14/2021 at 7:14 PM, SheepishNudist said:

I'll work on a male-only version for the next release. I'm not going to include variants with the Luumia hair though, I'm personally happy with the Simdulgence hair and it would mean adding quite a few new variants to the list.

The todo list has already expanded, as I noticed I'd forgotten another patreon-exclusive body hair: body hair for females with penises. Partial support for that will be in the next release.

Sure, I'll add a variant for women that has arm hair. It won't be a standard growth step though, so you'd have to set it manually for the sim.

Oh I didn't mean variant but straight up using the fixed luumia version I linked instead of simdulgence's, but I understand if you won't do it, it might be too much of a hassle and not very consistent with the male and female version you already released, I'd really appreciate if you could tell me how to replace the simdulgence's hair with luumia's editing your future release with S4S tho, because I really want to use WW system for body hair. 

On 1/15/2021 at 4:32 PM, SophieModan said:

Oh I didn't mean variant but straight up using the fixed luumia version I linked instead of simdulgence's, but I understand if you won't do it, it might be too much of a hassle and not very consistent with the male and female version you already released, I'd really appreciate if you could tell me how to replace the simdulgence's hair with luumia's editing your future release with S4S tho, because I really want to use WW system for body hair. 

Simplest way is to download the GIMP to edit the DDS textures and s4pe to extract and import them. Generate mip-maps, compression is DXT5.

I find GIMP's DDS results to look bad compared to what ImageMagick produces, though, so I usually export as PNG and use something like this command to convert the PNG to DDS.

(in your ImageMagick folder) .\magick convert '<your input png file>' -define dds:compression=dxt5 -define dds:cluster-fit=true -define dds:fast-mipmaps=false -define dds:mipmaps=16 -define dds:weight-by-alpha=true  '<your output DDS file>'

This is a good mod and have been waiting for something like this! Though, I'm not sure if I might have installed this incorrectly or if there's a potential conflict with another mod, but certain female sims tend to have corrupted skins (red, white, black skins with question marks). Are there certain settings/mods we might need to be aware of before installing this mod? Thanks :) 

4 hours ago, Miztabuck said:

This is a good mod and have been waiting for something like this! Though, I'm not sure if I might have installed this incorrectly or if there's a potential conflict with another mod, but certain female sims tend to have corrupted skins (red, white, black skins with question marks). Are there certain settings/mods we might need to be aware of before installing this mod? Thanks :) 

Please read the 'This mod REQUIRES: ' section again. There's a male-only download if you don't have the Simdulgence female textures, and there's optional files that also depend on some Simdulgence files.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:45 PM, SheepishNudist said:

Please read the 'This mod REQUIRES: ' section again. There's a male-only download if you don't have the Simdulgence female textures, and there's optional files that also depend on some Simdulgence files.

My mistake, thanks for calling that out :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I haven't forgotten about this mod, but it's in limbo right now as I temporarily play without body hair.

1) Simdulgence is back (albeit on hiatus just for this month). I'd rather wait to see what their next steps are than proceed to support this separately.

2) The new hair color swatches need matching body hair colors. I don't want to spend another few weeks sorting that out just to have the effort wasted when Simdulgence updates.

3) Simdulgence has since completely replaced RealGens penises with SimpleGens models that are now compatible with the default WW body hair. I'd still want to make Simdulgence hair the default but it's no longer desirable for me to remove the default textures.

Edited by SheepishNudist
Forgot something and didn't want to spam with a reply
  • 2 months later...

I went to update only to discover that it seems to still work as expected. I'm personally still not using body hair until we get a body hair update from Simdulgence, Turbodriver, or if we're lucky EA.

However, I've compiled random notes if you're like me and actually read the description and want to know how well supported this is.

Current issues (also problems with regular Wicked Whims):

- body hair isn't available for all swatches

- no ability to change defaults, although to be fair you can randomize body hair on all sims

- limited selection of default body hair (you need to manually change sims if you want more variety)

- the Wicked Whims menu structure...isn't perfect, as several of the swatches end up punted into a catch-all 'other' category.

Current issues with this mod (that I'm aware of):

- my new trimmed female pubic hair was drawn with Luumia's female genital texture in mind, with Simdulgence overlaid on top of it. Most default body skins seem to use these textures, but not all do. Simdulgence's default textures don't either, though. Worst case there'll be a little dent in the bottom of the pubic hair where the vulva was supposed to be, only the texture won't extend that high. (fixed in v2.1)

- as mentioned in the description, this mod will flat out remove the default WW body hair from appearing in WW's menus. In retrospect this was a little much, I should have just removed them as defaults but left them intact. (fixed in v2.1, the WW body isn't default but it's still there now).

- as mentioned in the description this whole thing is a little bit hacky. Overwriting a Wicked Whims XML file isn't ideal and uninstalling this is going to be awkward.

How to uninstall this mod:

- remove my files along with all of Simdulgence's body hair files (at least, the ones mentioned in the description). You'll probably get "cc removed" messages from random sims for a long time to come, but it's harmless. I don't know how long Wicked Whims will take to recover and figure out new body hair for everyone, though.

Edited by SheepishNudist
v2.1 fixes
  • 3 months later...

Simdulgence seems to be on hiatus again. Body hair doesn't seem to be coming from EA anytime soon (if ever), and I'm guessing adding body hair for the new hair swatches (or fixing up the menus) isn't high on Turbodriver's priority list.

So with that, have an update! I'm playing with body hair again and I fixed what I could.

- I re-did the trimmed pubic hair texture. It's based on Simdulgence and still not amazing, but it still looks good IMO. It suits Simdulgence's female body textures much better now.

- I added the Wicked Whims body hair back in, it's just not the default anymore.

Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

I've been slowly accumulating my own edits and updates of Simdulgence content; if the hiatus continues and there's interest I might consider releasing them. Right now I've replaced all of the CAS thumbnails for screenshots to make them match the Maxis thumbnails. It's less convenient since there's no text saying what specific body part it is, but it also blends in better with the Maxis content and gives you better previews. Pros and Cons. I'm also working on larger nipples, and I've been editing various default skins together until I can get something that has Simdulgence's improvements layered in with others. I've found Nesurii's default skins are great for this.

I have no interest in pirating Simdulgence's work, but overrides of them seem fine.

On 1/14/2021 at 11:46 AM, SophieModan said:

Since Simdulgence is on hiatus and people might stumble into this thread someday looking for support, I'll clarify that this is no longer needed.

- The SimpleGens body parts don't have this issue and work out of the box with Wicked Whims body hair. Just use them and move on from RealGens.

- If you insist on using RealGens anyways (why?), Simdulgence since released an official "WickedWhims Male Body Hair Override" to correct this.

Edited by SheepishNudist
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 11:35 AM, SheepishNudist said:

Since Simdulgence is on hiatus and people might stumble into this thread someday looking for support, I'll clarify that this is no longer needed.

- The SimpleGens body parts don't have this issue and work out of the box with Wicked Whims body hair. Just use them and move on from RealGens.

- If you insist on using RealGens anyways (why?), Simdulgence since released an official "WickedWhims Male Body Hair Override" to correct this.

is there a free version of the override?I can only find it on Patreon

21 hours ago, DeathByGlamour69 said:

is there a free version of the override?I can only find it on Patreon

I don't think so, no. Most of Simdulgence's work is Patreon exclusive.

Might be worth adding that Simdulgence has returned and seems to be slowly catching up on work. I'm guessing there might be some work released in April on Patreon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...