shouganai

Cyberpunk 2077 Mod Creation Thread

1 hour ago, Hakufu1021 said:

See I call BULLSHIT on CDPR for that. They could either A) work out a deal with Nvidia or B) prevent the technology from being exposed in the modding tools. If a game was created, there's ways to mitigate any issue. It's all about the skill of the developers.

Would they waste manpower/money on that though? Fallout 4 for instance, by the time the game was launched Havok(the mesh physics software they used) was bought up by Microsoft and was closed up to modding for years until the modders added up the first sex animations.

Nvidia would probably charge a lot or even an extra % of the sales to let the modding tools use their technology.

19 minutes ago, allfather123 said:

I don't think Bethesda will release Creation Kit to their future games. Calling it right now. They tried to monetize mods quite late to the party, which lead to some tug of war with modding community and mixed receptions. Now Microsoft came into play, and the easiest way they can still give mods to the players and get their dirty money is making mods themselves. Problem is: their mods are shit. But money will do the talking as always.

I hope that won't happen. Starfield was said to be a single player game, my bet would be the way it is now, with paid mods in their shop.

CDPR talked about modding tools but if they've always been using NVIDIA tech and other resources that aren't in-house and could cause proprietary conflicts, then there was never a chance at them to begin with. CDPR is already comfortable without modding toolsets because it's expensive and time-consuming to release for a game and they probably won't bother trying to work around legalities or technical setbacks to cultivate a large modding scene because it's just not worth the sweat.

4 hours ago, allfather123 said:

I don't think Bethesda will release Creation Kit to their future games. Calling it right now. They tried to monetize mods quite late to the party, which lead to some tug of war with modding community and mixed receptions. Now Microsoft came into play, and the easiest way they can still give mods to the players and get their dirty money is making mods themselves. Problem is: their mods are shit. But money will do the talking as always.

No, they'll release it. At least, I don't see how they couldn't unless Microsoft or something or other definitively re-organizes the structural philosophy of their dev process. It's always been about single player focused games that are wide open, sandboxy, choice-driven and highly modular, built from the ground up as such. Changing one of those will mean the Bethesda we know is no more and if that does happen, well... it would be a sad day for the industry. 

It's more likely they'll just try to find more ways to increase Creation Club's profile and encourage modders to take advantage of its benefits. Now whether this ends up catastrophically, time will tell. There's a high chance it does, and in that case, after Starfield, at least, who knows what the moddability of BGS games will look like movin' forward.

But Starfield will be the litmus test.

I didn't read all the prior post to this one so keep that in mind....

I worked on a mod for a game made by CD Red a long time ago now, and even though I was cracking the game they made, and posting directly in their forums, I was never once discouraged, flagged or in anyway bothered by the team. But times might have changed.

Just looking at the Ram in a memory viewer it appears that certain files are referenced possible header or encryption values (not my area of expertise)

Also some files are referenced that would have to be part of one of the archives: example being

base\materials\mesh_decal_blendable.mt�base\characters\main_npc\silverhand\textures\t0_001_ma_body__silverhand_tattoo_d01.xbm

7 hours ago, Kargrin said:

Would they waste manpower/money on that though? Fallout 4 for instance, by the time the game was launched Havok(the mesh physics software they used) was bought up by Microsoft and was closed up to modding for years until the modders added up the first sex animations.

Nvidia would probably charge a lot or even an extra % of the sales to let the modding tools use their technology.

I hope that won't happen. Starfield was said to be a single player game, my bet would be the way it is now, with paid mods in their shop.

Honestly? I don't think they'd "waste" the manpower. Modding in any capacity, seems to be either a COMPLETELY supported aspect of a game, or essentially relegated to hacks. There's no in between. Either the company loves adding support, or they refuse to do it and just allow modders to hack their game to kingdom come. The hidden nuclear option that some companies choose is to actively thwart modders. Capcom as memory serves is the only company to take an active approach. Till even they were defeated. (The Monster Hunter World fiasco with the launch of iceborne. That was almost certainly intentional.)

Not even Koei/Team Ninja went that far. As evidence by DOA5 and 6.  And besides Skyrim (plus other bethesda titles), the DOA franchise is the most lewded game on the market. Well, besides again MHW. And again, these titles follow under either the "all in approach" or the "nothing at all approach."

But, even a percentage deal would still be lucrative for CDPR. As mods have kept games alive for up to what, 18 years after a game is released? (Doom being the longest single example of a game with full mod support that just won't die.) I highly suspect Skyrim will be the same way. And the games living that long means, new players will eventually come across mods on a forum, like this one, LOVE the mods, and buy the title. Yes, they won't see the sales jump that a launch would be. But hell, financially speaking, 2077 was an absolute success. Even with all the controversy. So they can easily afford it. Even with a licensing deal.

The real problem is, whether CDPR actually want to take advantage of those additional sales, or just say screw it, it's not worth their time. Personally, I believe they'll give us the middle finger. It sucks, but it's true. Correct me if I'm wrong, none of CDPR's titles come with mod tools. And I doubt 2077 will change that. Usually devs have to have history of it. No history? No tools. Plus, CDPR isn't the type of company to revisit old titles and expand it's features. They have knocked all of their titles out of the park financially speaking. But still no mod tools after X amount of time in the sun. ID is the only company to do that. Revisit titles and give source to the community to keep the games from dying.  And considering they CDPR didn't release tools for Witcher 3. I think it's a pipe dream for 2077.

7 hours ago, Hakufu1021 said:

The real problem is, whether CDPR actually want to take advantage of those additional sales, or just say screw it, it's not worth their time. Personally, I believe they'll give us the middle finger. It sucks, but it's true. Correct me if I'm wrong, none of CDPR's titles come with mod tools. And I doubt 2077 will change that. Usually devs have to have history of it. No history? No tools. Plus, CDPR isn't the type of company to revisit old titles and expand it's features. They have knocked all of their titles out of the park financially speaking. But still no mod tools after X amount of time in the sun. ID is the only company to do that. Revisit titles and give source to the community to keep the games from dying.  And considering they CDPR didn't release tools for Witcher 3. I think it's a pipe dream for 2077.

They did release tools for the first Witcher, granted that was just a variation of Biowares tools and with little modification you could use the Neverwinter nights toolset to modify that game.

This game is produced by them created by them and supposedly the engine is by them. However being they are a publicly traded company with Marcin Iwiński listed as only holding 12% or so of the vote, maybe 70% of the shares are owned by EA or something who knows.

They have publicly said that they feel DLC should be free and, also are against DRM....does that mean they will hand the keys over for making mods or make a toolset, who knows.

What I do know is if they don't we stand a much better chance of cracking this then Unreal engine. (The reconstruction part, not the extraction part)

If anyone has anything to add to the cracking see:

https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23052

and

https://github.com/WolvenKit/Wolven-kit/issues/286

*Edit** Turns out someone wrote a Quick BMS script which I tested and is extracting readable data, so already plus one to the programmers out there**

Example of file info extracted from the animations.archive:

�animAnimSet�cookingPlatform�ECookingPlatform�PLATFORM_PC�animations�array:handle:animAnimSetEntry�animAnimSetEntry�animation�handle:animAnimation�animAnimation�name�CName�synced__cinema_sex__07_and_08__JP_censored_player�duration�Float�animBuffer�handle:animIAnimationBuffer�animAnimationBufferCompressed�numFrames�Uint32�numExtraJoints�Uint8�numJoints�Uint16�numTracks�numAnimKeys�numAnimKeysRaw�numConstAnimKeys�numTrackKeys�numConstTrackKeys�isScaleConstant�Bool�fallbackFrame

Someone has also done some work with the 3d models, first impression is they are a bit complicated:

https://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14572

Found this, could just be my mind connecting completely unrelated things but, one of the male base rigs is refereed to as the "coffee" version example:

locomotion�coffee�version�base\characters\base_entities\man_base\man_base.rig

Now this is speculation and probably wrong but it would be funny if the nude version was a nod at the infamous "Hot Coffee Mod"

Nice News about initial Oficial Modding Support from CdProjekt for Cyberpunk 2077, just a few Weeks after Release (Warhorse Studios do a good Job on Kingdom Come Deliverance, releasing Modding Tools, but too late IMO), the lack of intense Modding Scene though is because it is a very story-driven defined/tight Character Open World Game, not really a 'Sandbox with Replayability' neither with a lot of radiant Quests, Activities etc (like Bethesda Games)... but Cyberpunk 2077 Modding Scene has 'Potential'  to be 'better' than The Witcher 3 Scene (which is great considering the Tools released), and to be alike 'Bethesda Modding Scene', but that is more my desire than being realistic here, and is truly Sandbox/Open World Game with Replayability (a Key to boost Modding Scene)

It seems initial Release, I hope they add more Tools (not only Dumpers/Extractors), but Documentation for 3D Meshes (Animations, Skeletons included, maybe Jali Research API for own Lip-Sync and custom dubbed/Voice Mods... Design own on Quests , add Enemies Spawns, better INI/Functions/Code Reference and Map/Collisions, NavMeshes Editors/Viewers, that would be awesome.

... for People/Modders with Knowledge:

- What exactly they released today?, and makes that a Difference from previous 'Community Mod Tools? thanks.

- What is needed for import/export 3D Meshes/Bodies/Items and Animations/Skeletons?

- What is needed for Scripting/API driven Mods or custom Quests (I bet a proper Tools/Editors

- What is required for Sex/Adult Mods, at least custom Romances, JoyToys etc (we are here for that ;D)

Cheers

1 hour ago, LuxidaOxida said:

Nice News about initial Oficial Modding Support from CdProjekt for Cyberpunk 2077,

That is really good news, because I have tested the CP77 tools and while they work extremely well for unpacking and even "uncooking" the files I personally have had no success with be able to run the game with the repacked files.

That is to say I unpacked with out uncooking or even modifying one of the smaller archive files, then repacked. The game started to load but right before start screen crashed out.

So hears hoping.