CircMod

======================
== Circumcision mod ==
======================

This mod add new traits to character allowing them to be uncircumcised or circumcised and makes them behave as historicly accurate as possible.

Other characters migh have preferences on the matter and will have varing opinion of the characters. Using targetted decision on yourself, on your family and on your prisonrs, you can also change the status of a man (obviously, it is only available one way!). There are also a few events and actions available that will trigger when appropriate. The various cultures and religions will act as appropriate when it comes to making the circumcision decisions.

As per some request I have received, options and traits relating to female circumcision were added. This content is turned OFF by default and needs to be enabled in the game rules (when starting a new game). Some of these decisions can be usefull, for instance when having issues with a wife who is generating too many bastards.

If you notice something wrong, let me know and I will try to fix it. Suggestions are also more than welcome.

==================
== Installation ==
==================

Simply download the zip file unzip it in your crusader king mod folder (make sure the CircMod.mod file and the CircMod folder are DIRECTLY in the mod folder). Your mod filder is in your users document (~Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\mod\). When launching CK3, the mod should be available in your mod list.

Alternatively, you can manually add the following to your dlc_load.json file
{"enabled_mods":["mod/CircMod.mod"],"disabled_dlcs":[]}

========================
== Credits and thanks ==
========================

This is a CK3 port of the original circ mod for CK2.

Here are the credit of the original mod.

A big thanks to the Dark World Reborn by dewguru. The inspiration of this mod came from his excellent work. Some of this mods mechanics are also heavily inspired by his work and the way he handled other "dick related" status.

A huge thanks to Herring for creating great new custom icons for the traits of this mod.

==================
==  Change log  ==
==================

V3.01
-----
- Initial port of the ck2 mod. Basic functionality only.

Just finished porting the first part of the mod to CK3. Let me know how it works!!

Also I'm looking for someone to redo the traits icons. Right now they are just the original icons scaled up ... not good lloking at all! Let me know if you are interested.

I wonder why circumcision gives a (rather sizeable) bonus to fertility?

Only notable differences I know include circumsized penises being (marginally) easier to clean and somewhat more desensitized because the glans is more exposed to friction from pants etc., but if anything desensitation should have the opposite effect (if super minor)

Negative fertility for women makes sense though given the sharp drop in enjoyment of sex.

Although I'd be interested in the thinking behind the opinion penalties.

1. The status of your genitals would not be at all apparent to most people. Unless culture/religion dictates a ceremony, this makes more sense as a secret trait

2. would it make sense to weight this somehow depending on how central it is to the culture? -5 or even -10/15 is pretty huge when you consider that the latter is on the same level as murder

3. In women, is/was there historically some resentment or sense of loss after circumcision that would make them resent uncut women? Or were they oblivious of the function of the clitoris and outer labia until the modern times? (I know they were and still are in some places, but were they always?)

I find it ironic that the circumcision mod came out before the penis model mod. Hard to circumcize males in game currently given their complete lack of anything down there... unless we are "pruning" the fig leaf?

You should make the circumcised trait have lowering risk to catch venereal diseases like lover's pox. But there shouldn't be a fertility bonus. 

Also it's more of a religious thing. should be more like 'religious vassals/head +10 opinion' or something. cause how else would anyone know if you were circumcised. 

or even not make it about opinion at all. make it a minor health penalty for a few years but +0.5 to 1 piety. 

38 minutes ago, Ozvelpoon said:

I find it ironic that the circumcision mod came out before the penis model mod. Hard to circumcize males in game currently given their complete lack of anything down there... unless we are "pruning" the fig leaf?

Well there is a trait for the possible "accident" that can happen when playing with knives. I guess until the model comes out I could give all men that traits so to make everything consistent and anatomically correct ... but it would kind of limit the possibility of a dynasty!

As a side note, I have not yet ported the other traits like the accidents and random events that the original mod has. I wanted to release an initial version quickly to allow other modders to use the framework where applicable. I'll be releasing an update with the rest of the content shortly.

4 minutes ago, LueRV said:

You should make the circumcised trait have lowering risk to catch venereal diseases like lover's pox. But there shouldn't be a fertility bonus. 

That was the original intention. But due to the way lover pock pox is given (thought a random event and others) it is not easy to affect it without h overriding a bunch of vanilla events (which would make the mod very incompatible with other mods and even CK3 updates).

Affecting fertility was a compromise.

Not my mod, but here are some suggestions:

I don't know if both characters being circumcised should give such a high opinion boost. I mean, it's more of a religious thing. Maybe if your character converts to a religion that practices circumcision you could have a decision to get circumcised, and there be a character modifier (not static trait) giving opinion boost for characters of the same religion. Maybe a decision to get your male children circumcised if you're Muslim or Jewish, giving your character a piety boost and having a success rate based on your court priest learning skill.

As for fertility bonus/reduced chance of getting an STI (say if you character is Rakish). There are some studies claiming male circumcision reduces chance of transmission of STI, mostly from the US to the point their pediatric authorities recommend it, but far more studies (including meta-analysis) show no benefits to male circumcision, including geographical analysis, analysis of different forms of penile modification (dorsal longitudinal foreskin cut, subincision, etc). I would keep circumcision's benefit strictly religious and, eventually, graphical.

Somehow your mod prevents you from choosing the life path for your child when they become 6 y/o and them then getting their education trait at 16 y/o.

On 9/24/2020 at 4:26 PM, ZENtu said:

Somehow your mod prevents you from choosing the life path for your child when they become 6 y/o and them then getting their education trait at 16 y/o.

What do you mean by "prevents"? Does it simply not ask the question or does clicking the button simply does nothing?

This mod is one of my favorite mods.

but when I enable this mod in game v1.1.2, EVERY children could not get any personal and education traits.

I need a updated one for v1.1.2

THANKS.

On 9/21/2020 at 11:16 AM, MrMeargt said:

Not my mod, but here are some suggestions:

I don't know if both characters being circumcised should give such a high opinion boost. I mean, it's more of a religious thing. Maybe if your character converts to a religion that practices circumcision you could have a decision to get circumcised, and there be a character modifier (not static trait) giving opinion boost for characters of the same religion. Maybe a decision to get your male children circumcised if you're Muslim or Jewish, giving your character a piety boost and having a success rate based on your court priest learning skill.

As for fertility bonus/reduced chance of getting an STI (say if you character is Rakish). There are some studies claiming male circumcision reduces chance of transmission of STI, mostly from the US to the point their pediatric authorities recommend it, but far more studies (including meta-analysis) show no benefits to male circumcision, including geographical analysis, analysis of different forms of penile modification (dorsal longitudinal foreskin cut, subincision, etc). I would keep circumcision's benefit strictly religious and, eventually, graphical.

Basic preface - my only experience with this mod is from CKII. Haven't tried it in CKIII. A friend was putting together an overhaul that would continue further into modern/contemporary times than others had, and (hopefully) add a much more diverse experience where relationships and sexual appeal were concerned, given how clunky and secondary the stock "attraction + fertility = heirs" dynamic felt, so it crossed my radar as I helped out testing and troubleshooting candidates for inclusion. Maybe it's been improved on since, but from what I see I'm guessing just a direct port.

Overall, the mod isn't remotely interested in either biological, religious, or social/societal accuracy. I vaguely remember a note on the CKII version's page talking about it being designed to work in partnership with one or more other mods, which perhaps explains the absurdities it introduces into the game.

Like the fact everyone on Earth not only knows what your genital status is, but they also have very strong, entirely sexually-motivated opinion modifiers as a result. Including newborns. And your own daughters. Which is ... unsettling, to say the least. But hey, it's Crusader Kings - even as unsettling as PDX is willing to allow the player to RP, bless 'em for it. More devs should follow their example.

This, though - and while I haven't spoken to the author(s) - seems a lot more than anything to be just another "bro, uncut dicks are disgusting and circumcision fixes everything" forum post made into mod-form. With some "mutilate your prisoners and unfaithful wife/concubine" flavor, added in subsequent updates for good measure. Cut and uncut traited characters don't like each other, 'cause, you know ... reasons. Maybe one side's jealous of that massive 30% fertility boost cut guys get. Also for reasons.

Normally it wouldn't raise the needle, given the jingoist/sexist mods I've seen on Steam, here, and everywhere, but this is a body image/dominance mod first and foremost. Putting it bluntly, it's just meant to dump on what's irritating to or willfully misunderstood by the author(s). I'd call it poorly-coded trolling, but again, I think there were other, equally dark-kinda mods it was meant to be used with, at least originally, but who knows. Happy to be corrected if I'm misremembering anything.

Wouldn't recommend it, at least to anyone looking for accuracy or the sort of immersion CKII/III are capable of by design.