Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Umbra Nensei

Oblivion engine limits

Recommended Posts

For the record, I'm not completely new to this, I did play Oblivion some 4 or so years ago, but way back when I barely knew my way around modding, so my list was very limited.
I'm looking to get into Oblivion modded playthrough, but obviously the game is quite old, so I was wondering about potential limitations of the game that should be kept in mind while putting together a mod list. I see a lot of videos with graphics modded to hell, 4k textures, ENB's and what not - but with all of that jammed into a rather old engine, how stable would the game be, really?

Share this post


Link to post

the game stable at high graphic depend a bout your computer, those hd and 4k texture run at very good machines ... if u have a machine can run heavy game u will be fine ... at my experience this game problems is in codes and conflicts between some mods u may use  so my advice to keep the mod u only use in game no need to use 500 mod  then complain for slow loading or conflicts . 

 

have a nice game

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Umbra Nensei said:

For the record, I'm not completely new to this, I did play Oblivion some 4 or so years ago, but way back when I barely knew my way around modding, so my list was very limited.
I'm looking to get into Oblivion modded playthrough, but obviously the game is quite old, so I was wondering about potential limitations of the game that should be kept in mind while putting together a mod list. I see a lot of videos with graphics modded to hell, 4k textures, ENB's and what not - but with all of that jammed into a rather old engine, how stable would the game be, really?

Depends. Are you planning on playing the game or just taking screenshots?  If you are going to play the game, you will want to avoid 4k textures.  Oblivion is a very old game.  As such, it is heavily dependent on the CPU.  So your high end machine may in fact run far worse than a middle of the road machine depending on what all you have as far as components and CPU speed.  There are numerous guides for oblivion and I'd recommend starting with no more than 50 odd mods and then add to that total until you become unstable.

 

You can read up more on this here:  http://www.gamesas.com/typical-bottleneck-for-heavily-modded-oblivion-t156765.html

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, that might be the best approach. And all things considered it's probably not a good idea to get into an old game like Oblivion with the sole intent of blowing up it's graphics. I'll give the link you've sent a good read in the meanwhile, cheers for the help.

Share this post


Link to post

Qual's textures and a good enb can make oblivion a very good looking game.  It won't ever be skyrim but that should not be surprising.  Oblivion is being ported into skyrim and once that is complete it should be quite a treat.

 

I don't know how good it will be, but this dude has a pretty complete list and install guide:  https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47591

Share this post


Link to post

It's per pc some people don't even crash ; just mod and make a ini for performance with obse plugins + 4gb patch  and slowly big your mod list till you get bugs and remove mods you can live without .  also get wyre bash and tes4edit

Share this post


Link to post

Since i prefer "insane" graphics i could drop few dimes.

 

Oblivion is single core game so something like 3,2ghz+ cores for cpu.

having good graphics card helps with frames. I got 6gb card and frames are generally very high with ENB on. I'd say having 4gb is at least mandatory if you use higher than vanilla textures etc.

 

You can get oblivion to modded skyrim level but places like say TES diesel and Snus Dungeons overhaul can make the engine cry even without enb. They are so cluttered and i guess Oblivion is having trouble when theres like more than 8 npcs in the view + 370 rocks and plants in your grid . Based on memory usage with CS. CHrocks are badly done meshes.

 

short: You can do skyrim visuals with 4gb+ card, you need over 3ghz cpu core, It can be stable but you need to be a bit choosy with stuff. (dont use many script mods together, gamebryo is shit ass engine)

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/16/2020 at 3:50 AM, Sir Artsy said:

Since i prefer "insane" graphics i could drop few dimes.

 

Oblivion is single core game so something like 3,2ghz+ cores for cpu.

having good graphics card helps with frames. I got 6gb card and frames are generally very high with ENB on. I'd say having 4gb is at least mandatory if you use higher than vanilla textures etc.

 

You can get oblivion to modded skyrim level but places like say TES diesel and Snus Dungeons overhaul can make the engine cry even without enb. They are so cluttered and i guess Oblivion is having trouble when theres like more than 8 npcs in the view + 370 rocks and plants in your grid . Based on memory usage with CS. CHrocks are badly done meshes.

 

short: You can do skyrim visuals with 4gb+ card, you need over 3ghz cpu core, It can be stable but you need to be a bit choosy with stuff. (dont use many script mods together, gamebryo is shit ass engine)

I also suggest Oldblivion https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/48257?tab=description , It made my 300+ mod list run like butter.  obse also works with it.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, sunhawken said:

I also suggest Oldblivion https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/48257?tab=description , It made my 300+ mod list run like butter.  obse also works with it.

could you elaborate, like are you sing a newer or older pc, what settings of this mod do you use, how much does it effect visuals, sorry for the bother, thanks for your time

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/17/2020 at 7:54 PM, tolerance said:

could you elaborate, like are you sing a newer or older pc, what settings of this mod do you use, how much does it effect visuals, sorry for the bother, thanks for your time

Oldblivion is not a performance patch

 

it literally just allows the game to run on DX8 cards

 

anyone claiming a performance benefit is not being truthful

Share this post


Link to post

I tried this mod because I wanted to actually see things in the distance that I was close to-https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/20053/?tab=description

 

What it does is insert distant LOD models for things like forts, ruins, landmarks and so forth (that you won't see in the vanilla game). But, it is a BIG performance hit especially while running ENB. Unless you have a beast setup, you won't be able to run both without suffering massive framerate drops. I don't know if this is a limitation by the engine or something else. Once my frames dropped below 20 fps, I uninstalled it all.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I tried this mod because I wanted to actually see things in the distance that I was close to-https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/20053/?tab=description

 

What it does is insert distant LOD models for things like forts, ruins, landmarks and so forth (that you won't see in the vanilla game). But, it is a BIG performance hit especially while running ENB. Unless you have a beast setup, you won't be able to run both without suffering massive framerate drops. I don't know if this is a limitation by the engine or something else. Once my frames dropped below 20 fps, I uninstalled it all.

Rig specs are in my sig, I don't have any problem with Oblivion performance at 1440p

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, RussianPrince said:

Rig specs are in my sig, I don't have any problem with Oblivion performance at 1440p

Of course not and neither do I with a much cheaper build. My point was adding new models/textures to the LOD worldspace causes a significant drop in performance for any machine and it seems like a limitation of the engine because the authors of that mod optimized as much as they could.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/12/2020 at 3:29 AM, KoolHndLuke said:

Of course not and neither do I with a much cheaper build. My point was adding new models/textures to the LOD worldspace causes a significant drop in performance for any machine and it seems like a limitation of the engine because the authors of that mod optimized as much as they could.

I ran TES4LODGEN at the best settings it could achieve on a separate machine, because TES4LODGEN is CPU intensive.

 

Thankfully I have multiple 8c 16t machines :D

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, RussianPrince said:

I ran TES4LODGEN at the best settings it could achieve ....

Settings ? There are no settings , it's only a exe.  No settings, no ini file.

And with my old computer and about 200 active Mods it takes less than 2 minutes to create the LOD.

 

TES4LL has  settings...  and can take a lot of time.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, fejeena said:

Settings ? There are no settings , it's only a exe.  No settings, no ini file.

And with my old computer and about 200 active Mods it takes less than 2 minutes to create the LOD.

 

TES4LL has  settings...  and can take a lot of time

TES4LODGEN indeed has settings. When running the program from commandline, you can change a lot of runtime parameters before generating LOD.

 

But you're right, TES4LL can also take a long time with a lot of settings, especially 4K terrain textures.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...