Hook 3/4/5 Discussion

• 2 months later...

Could someone please remind me as to how you parent a hook5 object to another. (I.E. attach a mirror to a cabinet, so when the cabinet is disabled the mirror is disabled too, without having to manually disable the mirror separately.) I used to know this stuff, but with Mods Garden down I can't even find a start point to look up how it's done.

I have a cabinet with three options, closed, partially open, and fully open. I've overlaid mirrors on the closed and partially open because you should be able to see a reflection with those two. I've completely forgotten how to link them so when you (F4) replace one cabinet mesh for the other you only have to tick one box and the mirror mesh gets replaced too.

There is a Parent button in which you have to select or type the name of the parent for this object.

level_definition shows them like this :

[object1]

[object2]

parent_name = object1   (without any brackets)

Now when you move or rotate object1 , all child objects move/rotate too.  Haven't tried resizing.  

I have some tables with stuff on them, all parented to table, maybe a bout 10-15 objects together.

The second question is about [include] ?

Define a bunch of objects and select/deselect in F4 menu?

All you have to do is create your level def (name the objects for easier handling)

Then create a new .txt file, name it maybe _cabinet.txt

Cut (not copy) the object lines for your cabinet out of the level_def and paste them into your new .txt file.

Now add this line to level_def:

[include]

_cabinet.txt = true

All the objects in the cabinet files are now in a virtual group which can be put on/off with F4 (include list)

It is not the same as parenting, and I did not try yet to parent inside an [include], so I don't know if this works. 

Thanks. It was actually only one question. I just worded it poorly.

3 hours ago, Bbird9 said:

Define a bunch of objects and select/deselect in F4 menu

This I already knew, I use it to quickly turn on/off light groups and completely fill/empty areas that are in/out of camera range.

Apparently I was doing it correctly, but both mirrors and water seem not to be affected when I link them to other objects, or objects to them.

• 3 weeks later...

about a week ago I made a post about pervokpetr, the author of Hook5:

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/154963-new-tk17-site-on-new-server/?do=findComment&comment=3167137

this spurred some individuals to make incorrect statements and assumptions, but by the time I caught wind of it the topic was already closed. I will address this issue here, as I don't want to be responsible for inciting misinformation.

«it's just a hack of ENB»

this is false. Hook5 is completely original, adds incomparably larger amount of features (PBR rendering alone is beyond anything ever implemented in ENB), and the only thing it has in common with ENB is that both use DirectX hooking as an injection method.

«amounts to a texture pack»

Hook5 is not a texture pack (nor does it contain one), it changes the graphical capabilities of the game in a fundamental way.

«down with Pervokptr»

I did not express such a sentiment. I simply explained the reasons why there's bad blood between some Hook5 users (such as myself) and the author of this software. pervokpetr has done a colossal amount of work, and the resulting technical achievement can't be compared to anything else in video game modding. to put it simply, the problem that people are having isn't with Hook5 software, but rather with everything else that surrounds it (service, business model, author's attitude, etc).

I hope this clears things up.

Just now, Cold Irony said:

about a week ago I made a post about pervokpetr, the author of Hook5:

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/154963-new-tk17-site-on-new-server/?do=findComment&comment=3167137

this spurred some individuals to make incorrect statements and assumptions, but by the time I caught wind of it the topic was already closed. I will address this issue here, as I don't want to be responsible for inciting misinformation.

«it's just a hack of ENB»

this is false. Hook5 is completely original, adds incomparably larger amount of features (PBR rendering alone is beyond anything ever implemented in ENB), and the only thing it has in common with ENB is that both use DirectX hooking as an injection method.

«amounts to a texture pack»

Hook5 is not a texture pack (nor does it contain one), it changes the graphical capabilities of the game in a fundamental way.

«down with Pervokptr»

I did not express such a sentiment. I simply explained the reasons why there's bad blood between some Hook5 users (such as myself) and the author of this software. pervokpetr has done a colossal amount of work, and the resulting technical achievement can't be compared to anything else in video game modding. to put it simply, the problem that people are having isn't with Hook5 software, but rather with everything else that surrounds it (service, business model, author's attitude, etc).

I hope this clears things up.

You know, at first I wanted to lighten the mood here and play devil's advocate and make a joke about incorrect opinion or something. But looking over the thread, holy shit that is a lot of incorrect statements. Got me if ya'll just trolling.

14 hours ago, Arse22 said:

You know, at first I wanted to lighten the mood here and play devil's advocate and make a joke about incorrect opinion or something. But looking over the thread, holy shit that is a lot of incorrect statements. Got me if ya'll just trolling.

they just don't know any better.

2 hours ago, EJAX said:

Do I REALLY have to get technical and say that ENB and Hook are just hacks of DirectX (which tecnically they don't have to be, as long as you paid for the software)?

But, you're right, the whole argument is a bit like saying "Perkovert is an author, therefore he invented language", so I concede your point.

"the problem that people are having isn't with Hook5 software, but rather with everything else that surrounds it (service, business model, author's attitude, etc)."

THE PROBLEM is that people don't want to PAY for it. And because most of them were raised on the internet, they think that's how life ought to be. Now excuse me while I go back to playing with my free hacked illegal game.

if you don't possess the technical knowledge that is needed to appreciate this software for what it is, you shouldn't make value judgments about it. these aren't "just hacks". when something is "just a hack", it changes small things, tweaks a number here and there. Hook5 is a serious piece of software that alters the game's graphics to the point where it's unrecognizable. have you ever seen a hack that adds full dynamic lighting and shadows to a game? how about a hack that implements physically based rendering of surfaces (normal, specular, parallax occlusion mapping)? if you want to look at an actual "just a hack", look no further than DSFix (Dark Souls Fix), which was done in a day, and it's only function was to unlock the internal rendering resolution. its author (Durante) then developed it further, but the first version barely took any time to make, according to him.

in regards to paying. let's make it clear: if people had a problem with paying for Hook5, pervokpetr wouldn't be making $2000 a month from his Patreon. as to why some people don't want to pay — I think I've listed enough reasons. however, since you're being so condescending, I'll have to remind you this community came from. ModsGarden was established on the principles of free sharing — we get things for free, and we give things for free. nothing wrong with getting some extra monetary compensation, but pay-walling is a big no-no. Hook3 was completely free, Hook4 had a single paid feature (subsurface scattering, if I remember correctly) that nobody cared about, so it was basically free. having people on the "hook" of these graphical upgrades, pervokpetr decided that he had enough clout to actually start making bank, which is why so much more features are pay-walled in Hook5 (including those which were free in Hook4, such as place-able 3D objects). many didn't like this turn of events initially, but most of them begrudgingly accepted it, seeing just how much of an improvement Hook5 was. however, since pervokpetr is taking people's money now, this isn't just a hobby anymore, it's professional work. "THE PROBLEM" is that he's being extremely unprofessional about every aspect of this business that does not directly involve coding.

5 hours ago, Cold Irony said:

if you don't possess the technical knowledge that is needed to appreciate this software for what it is, you shouldn't make value judgments about it. these aren't "just hacks". when something is "just a hack", it changes small things, tweaks a number here and there. Hook5 is a serious piece of software that alters the game's graphics to the point where it's unrecognizable. have you ever seen a hack that adds full dynamic lighting and shadows to a game? how about a hack that implements physically based rendering of surfaces (normal, specular, parallax occlusion mapping)? if you want to look at an actual "just a hack", look no further than DSFix (Dark Souls Fix), which was done in a day, and it's only function was to unlock the internal rendering resolution. its author (Durante) then developed it further, but the first version barely took any time to make, according to him.

in regards to paying. let's make it clear: if people had a problem with paying for Hook5, pervokpetr wouldn't be making $2000 a month from his Patreon. as to why some people don't want to pay — I think I've listed enough reasons. however, since you're being so condescending, I'll have to remind you this community came from. ModsGarden was established on the principles of free sharing — we get things for free, and we give things for free. nothing wrong with getting some extra monetary compensation, but pay-walling is a big no-no. Hook3 was completely free, Hook4 had a single paid feature (subsurface scattering, if I remember correctly) that nobody cared about, so it was basically free. having people on the "hook" of these graphical upgrades, pervokpetr decided that he had enough clout to actually start making bank, which is why so much more features are pay-walled in Hook5 (including those which were free in Hook4, such as place-able 3D objects). many didn't like this turn of events initially, but most of them begrudgingly accepted it, seeing just how much of an improvement Hook5 was. however, since pervokpetr is taking people's money now, this isn't just a hobby anymore, it's professional work. "THE PROBLEM" is that he's being extremely unprofessional about every aspect of this business that does not directly involve coding.

Well, one of you, at least, possesses the technical knowledge to delete my post because it wasn't what they want people to hear; so by THAT alone, I can safely assume I was right. But it makes no difference to me one way or the other. You're either going to buy the software or you aren't. This being the site of discussion, I'm betting most will opt for the latter. I would have bet that he was lucky if he made $50 a month. so I'm not ALWAYS right. But I am on this. And I've never met a businessman who wasn't a complete asshole. Not a successful one anyhow.

Maybe he just needs a good PR guy. Or maybe at $2000 bucks a month he figures he doesn't need one. When it comes down to it, we're arguing about a guy making minimum wage off of something that's probably just a pet project -- certainly not something he talks about over dinner with his family! So I imagine he saves answering his emails for his real job.

As for Hook5 itself, I can't speak much about it. I don't have time for it. I just know it's the biggest support issue around here, and it's not even part of the game; just like ENB was on the GTA forums. Truth be known, I'm actually a little surprised y'all don't spend more time trading settings.

3 hours ago, ronin3223 said:

is hook 4 gone?

It seems like most people use Hook5 nowadays, but I still use Hook4. I've tried Hook5 a couple of times and I just didn't like it.

If anyone's interested, I still have my Hook4 install guide as well as the required files for the Binaries folder.

Hook5 is not something to make your game looks nice, Hook5 is a PBR system.

All anime studios or game engines are using PBR those days because it is very good at making things look natural or it allows things to look the same way perceived by the creator.

So is not something in hook5 that you don't like or like otherwise, simply put hook5 must be configured and set the way you want to look like.

You can make your hook5 to look like a hook4 for example, but that is not the point of it, really... :)

You should read a bit about PBR, understand what it is and how it works, then you can come back to hook5 and see what you can achieve with it.

10 hours ago, EJAX said:

Well, one of you, at least, possesses the technical knowledge to delete my post because it wasn't what they want people to hear; so by THAT alone, I can safely assume I was right.

this… this, right here, is apocalyptic levels of cringe.

3 hours ago, Olaf Sand said:

It seems like most people use Hook5 nowadays, but I still use Hook4. I've tried Hook5 a couple of times and I just didn't like it.

If anyone's interested, I still have my Hook4 install guide as well as the required files for the Binaries folder.

yes i would like to try h4/ thank u

4 hours ago, Olaf Sand said:

I'm interested and would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

45 minutes ago, blindside18 said:

I'm interested and would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

Be forewarned: if you plan to run both at the same time, you'll have to keep a copy of d3d8.dll for each version, and know to copy the correct version into your binaries folder before starting the program. You haven't got ONE version to work yet, I wouldn't try for two.

18 hours ago, boomshanka said:

ooooooooooooooooooooooooo get you.

Hey look I'm quite happy that this guy has created something that improves the game. However, you hit the nail on the head: it is not professional work until the creator acts like a professional.

I have several issues:

If you charge people for something, be prepared to tell them how it works

Sort your fucking Patreon out

Don't make it so obvious that you're bleeding people of money. Spoiler: the difference between $1 and $7 is essentially some earrings that move

Don't take a fucking WEEK to reply to new subscribers.

Sadly, the entire point of the existence of Patreon and it's many creators is precisely so they do not have to do what you describe. A pledge is a donation of support with a bonus if you pay more, that's it, they don't owe you shit but it's true for the patrons themselves, they can unsub from paying a pledge anytime with no strings attached. There is no such thing as a professional Patreon because no real professional uses it and Patreon itself is hardly the exemplar of professionalism, it's Kickstarter lite on the good hair days.

8 hours ago, EJAX said:

I LIKE "Apocalyptic".

Speaking of which, you might want to scroll back and edit your quote the moderators saw fit to delete. Just a suggestion.

oh, so now it's the moderators? didn't you just say that it was me? sort out your conspiracy theories.

as for the quote — I'm not going to edit anything. own up to your bullshit, or stop posting bullshit. it's as simple as that.

6 hours ago, EJAX said:

Be forewarned: if you plan to run both at the same time, you'll have to keep a copy of d3d8.dll for each version, and know to copy the correct version into your binaries folder before starting the program. You haven't got ONE version to work yet, I wouldn't try for two.

or that person could just have two separate folders, and not bother with copying files back and forth. also, changing just the DLL-file is not enough, the rest of the files are not identical between Hook4 and Hook5. but, of course, you don't know that because you don't use either. so here's a question: why do you keep talking, and even advising people on things you don't understand? you're just spreading misinformation.

8 hours ago, EJAX said:

I LIKE "Apocalyptic".

Speaking of which, you might want to scroll back and edit your quote the moderators saw fit to delete. Just a suggestion.

I will say this, some post was deleted. I don't see constructive criticism as bad as people can learn from them, but to blatantly attack someone really doesn't help the current situation.

In this case, Cold Irony was constructive criticism of Pervk guides, even though some saw fit to take it to the next level. HiShmexDrive and Ejax are not really being constructive here. Though I did delete some HiShmexDrive post, others have been left. If there is this talk on how easy it is to make hook5, feel free to create a version and blow pervk out the water and drive him out of business.

Otherwise, this bickering has reached its tipping point.

8 hours ago, Olaf Sand said:

I understand what you mean. H5 "feels" so heavy, I dont know how to explain, it may actually be better performance, but everything takes more coordination and effort, it's little things but they all add up. You can get outstanding results in comparison for sure, but all the run-around, you begin to think, "Wow, why don't I just use a real 3d software at this point? This will never be as good and seems to take all my time anyway."

It certainly takes time to get a convenient set-up to begin to some kind of workflow if you plan to do some kind of project. And everytime you need something, it takes time to figure it out because there is no detailed guides what's-so-ever and there is no library of presets for different needs or much resources of any kind.

Sometimes restriction is better for creativity, it's been proven true, and I think it's true for H4.