Tomb Raider

Guest flingingfeces

While I mostly agree with you, especially on the look of Lara I miss how the game was, not the rigid gameplay but the adventure feeling, having to think to get to solve puzzles, having to search for clues....

I mean all freakin games looks the same nowadays, I dont see much of a difference playing Far Cry 3 and the latest TR.

I do loved how emotions were transcripted into the game and I really felt the pain of the protagonist on the screen but I was not amazed how the gameplay was so similar to most adventure / action / platform games nowadays.

Before we could clearly see the difference between a FPS and a adventure-platformer type like TR but now they do look the same actually, just from a different perspective, with a different story and actors and that's quite sad.

Heh, I don't think the new and improved Lara is "flat chested". Just look at her and you'll notice she has a nice rack. They made her attire more believable and her body is proportioned this time, perhaps that makes her curves less evident.

About the game, I agree with Sora. It's nothing special.

I'm mixed over the abilities as some were useful such as Cartography which helped figure out the hidden locations down to the completely useless such as the counter moves. I think I've only used the counter move ONCE in the entire playthrough and that was during the tutorial to show it is done. They should have more useful abilities to tailor Lara to be the Lara you want rather than the set path she is.

Story

I still don't get the enemies such as the Solarii. How did they come to island? Why did they come to the island? That was something that needs to be expanded on. Perhaps an extra DLC?

Thats weird... The minute I got the counter move... add a few skills and its the most effective move in the whole game... its so useful that it gets boring to kill enemies over and over again with the super effective counter move... I tried NOT to use it because its more fun and challenging to shoot them. Im baffled by you saying its useless. Dodge + Stab with Arrow = Dead Enemy... And always the same equation

As the Dragon's Triangle equals to the Bermuda Triangle, I got an understanding the Solarii were shipwrecks just like Lara and the rest of the crew, who like them, were captured, but then "turned to the darkside" by the need to get out of there and the cult's influence to "do whatever it needs to be done" Still could have been a better story for this... but thats what there is

Nope. I thought it was pretty useless as good dodge + shotgun = dead enemy before any counter. Heck, I was able to dodge almost everything and still come up on top. With the added bonus of the hardest difficulty too... >_>

I can understand Solarii = crew from the previous ships but it still doesn't explain a lot of things as I overheard some Solarii talking about certain brothers and the diary of a Solarii didn't help much either...

I actually like the look of Lara for this game as she seems more realistic, perhaps better than I thought. But I did deliberately kill a lot of times to see every single death scene :P

• 4 years later...

I have played this game for a while and I can say I understand a bit - still learning tho.

The Solarii were started by Father Mathias as a way to control what he could of the Island.  After Himako died and wasn't able to transfer over the only ones left on the Island were her Stormguard.  then the Japanese came in WWII then there were more wrecks then came Mathias He made the Solarii as a group of fanatics to control them.  The Russians were his top lieutenants and could do no wrong, everybody was put into the prison and broken down mentally into the shape Mathias wanted.  Those who were to strong willed Mathias and the Russians killed because they wanted no competition.  Then the Endeaver came along. 

• 2 weeks later...

This thread necromancy made me suddenly crave an Altered Beast revival, one where the main characters are more 'sensibly dressed' and 'realistically proportioned' shapeshifting monsters who embark upon an epic length collect-a-thon. After all, collecting orbs was a recurring gameplay element from the first game so it might as well overtake every other element in the game now.

• 2 weeks later...

My original 3 playthroughs were without texmod or trainers. So I can say as someone that played the original Tomb Raider, this game is in ways tougher but as I haven't been flattened by a granite ball or torn apart by rampaging lions, I can say it's just as fun.  Also Lara doesn't have the same acrobatics that she did in the majority of the TR titles she has different ones that are just as effective.  Of course it is very satisfying to have a baddie stick their head up one time to many and be waiting with a bow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2018 at 4:09 PM, Wolf470 said:

My original 3 playthroughs were without texmod or trainers. So I can say as someone that played the original Tomb Raider, this game is in ways tougher but as I haven't been flattened by a granite ball or torn apart by rampaging lions, I can say it's just as fun.  Also Lara doesn't have the same acrobatics that she did in the majority of the TR titles she has different ones that are just as effective.  Of course it is very satisfying to have a baddie stick their head up one time to many and be waiting with a bow.

Well, we all might as well become the Tomb Raider and delve the depths of this old formerly abandoned thread to plunder the riches within.

It is somewhat remarkable how the developers subtly shifted the focus in gameplay elements over the course of three series(four, if one counts the twinstick shooter spin-offs), from a platform-puzzle game with light action elements to a fairly even mix to an action game with light puzzle and platforming elements. Had they directly jumped from the current version from the original, there would likely have been some type of backlash on part with the one that attended the revival of the Fallout series by Bethesda Game Studio.

The one thing which remained consistent throughout this franchise has been a moderate difficulty curve that manages to be tricky at times without ever becoming frustrating regardless of the gameplay style being emphasized in any given installment. 

• 2 weeks later...

Very true, most of the time the only frustrating part is tapping a key at just the right time in the set sequences.  IE when the wolf ambushes you or the first of the russian brothers catches you when that dork whitman just gives up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived