Maximus Portraits

Maximus Portratis

By Maximus

Maximus Portraits is a mod that assigns a portrait to your character, and every other character, depending on their culture. As such, there are a very wide range of portraits in this mod! In fact, there are over 1300 different portraits to choose from!

This portrait mod is meant more for style rather than authenticity, so you'll see plenty of "historically inaccurate" portraits and characters that look like they don't belong.

...but you don't really care for that, do you?

Usage

• All of the portraits are automatically assigned at the start of the game depending on the game rules you choose! Portraits can also be assigned manually, through the Intrigue tab, or through using the console [instructions located within the readme].

Compatibility

• Incompatible with Cheri Portraits.
  • Compatible with Luxuria Fantasia.
  • Compatible with Tentacle Dreams, with custom portraits for brood characters too!
  • Compatible with Cheri's Asian Goddess portraits.
  • Compatible with After the End and After the End Old World, if you install the appropriate version of Maximus Portraits [only have one version of Maximus Portraits active at a time].

Special Thanks

• Cheri Portraits, for providing the base inspiration [and lots of good code to work with]
  • The House Irae discord for being very helpful with modding!
  • All of you for enjoying my mod!

3 hours ago, 1tomadeira said:

Thank you for the mod. One question, if I pick only the male portion of Cheri's mod, would still work?

Also a small question, all portraits on Cheri's mod are included, or are ones that are overwritten? Thanks in advance.

Cheri's LF Fantasy race portraits will still work. They haven't been affected. However, all of the human portraits, found in Cheri Portraits have been overwritten. I haven't used any of them myself.

As for the question about the male version, I'm not sure. The code for my mod and Cheri Portraits shouldn't conflict in that case, but I haven't tested it myself.

8 hours ago, Morsu said:

Cool mod, only I have portraits, after a while start to fly all, removed all the mods, except for localization. Is it possible to fix it somehow, or will only have to put a purely English version?

1.png

2.png

I've seen that glitch before. It has something to do with child portraits, for some odd reason. I haven't ever done testing on a Russian version of the game, of course. I saw it before in AtE.

I'll admit, I'm a very novice modder. Try and test the game out yourself in English and see if that resolves your issue.

If it doesn't, I'll go take a look myself.

I downloaded separately ck2 v3.3.0, without all mods and in English. Put only portraits and the problem remained. I liked the mod and would really like to play with it, but just after some time of the game, all the female portraits start to fly off.I understand that you are a novice developer. But I hope that you can solve this problem so that ordinary CK2 users like me can enjoy it.

3.png

4.png

7 hours ago, Morsu said:

I downloaded separately ck2 v3.3.0, without all mods and in English. Put only portraits and the problem remained. I liked the mod and would really like to play with it, but just after some time of the game, all the female portraits start to fly off.I understand that you are a novice developer. But I hope that you can solve this problem so that ordinary CK2 users like me can enjoy it.

3.png

4.png

The latest update should resolve your issue by now.

On 5/22/2020 at 1:13 AM, Venom_Maximus said:

Cheri's LF Fantasy race portraits will still work. They haven't been affected. However, all of the human portraits, found in Cheri Portraits have been overwritten. I haven't used any of them myself.

As for the question about the male version, I'm not sure. The code for my mod and Cheri Portraits shouldn't conflict in that case, but I haven't tested it myself.

Thank you for the answer. Just asked because I quite like a lot some of Cheri's Portraits, others not much, and at least on your preview one seems pretty the same of other one on Cheri's.

I guess it is the game that limits the max number of portraits per culture. Too bad, since both mods have portraits I like more than others. Anyway tyvm for your hard work.

7 hours ago, 1tomadeira said:

Thank you for the answer. Just asked because I quite like a lot some of Cheri's Portraits, others not much, and at least on your preview one seems pretty the same of other one on Cheri's.

I guess it is the game that limits the max number of portraits per culture. Too bad, since both mods have portraits I like more than others. Anyway tyvm for your hard work.

It actually isn't the game. I very well could just take everything in Cheri Portraits and put it in my own mod, but that feels somewhat "scummy", at least in my opinion. So, it's a personal choice to not use anything from Cheri Portraits, rather than a limitation from the game itself.

16 hours ago, lionlynx said:

hi loving the look of a lot of these portraits just wanted to ask though if you plan on adding more portraits in the future or not?

Yes, I do. I should probably iterate that in the preview image that's only a very small sliver of the portraits available. There are actually over 800 different portraits sprinkled across all the different cultures in the game.

On 5/27/2020 at 9:10 AM, Venom_Maximus said:

Yes, I do. I should probably iterate that in the preview image that's only a very small sliver of the portraits available. There are actually over 800 different portraits sprinkled across all the different cultures in the game.

yea I had a look at all the portraits in the files I was just curious if more would be added in the future.

I noticed that some characters aren't getting portraits correctly, and when I dug into the files it appears that you aren't using a consistent method for determining which maximus_portrait_<culture> trait to add.  In some cases you are using the graphical culture where in others you are using the actual culture group:

image.png.182259cdec80f869eb6e3621f8213553.png

Thus, with this example, you could end up with a Berber cultured character born to a Russian mother who would not get any trait at all as long as her graphical culture was in the slavic group.

On 6/2/2020 at 7:31 AM, OrangePenguin said:

I noticed that some characters aren't getting portraits correctly, and when I dug into the files it appears that you aren't using a consistent method for determining which maximus_portrait_<culture> trait to add.  In some cases you are using the graphical culture where in others you are using the actual culture group:

image.png.182259cdec80f869eb6e3621f8213553.png

Thus, with this example, you could end up with a Berber cultured character born to a Russian mother who would not get any trait at all as long as her graphical culture was in the slavic group.

The newest update will just use both. The reason I had been using graphical_culture and culture_group in some places is because, for the Israelite portraits for example, Israelite graphical GFX is "byzantinegfx".

Regardless, I've refined a bit of how portraits are assigned in V1.2.3. I don't have many people who test the mod beyond myself and I haven't encountered any issues on my end, and if a portrait isn't assigned to a character I recommend you use the "assign portrait" decision in the intrigue menu. If that doesn't work, please take a screenshot and tell me what's going on with it.

Some of the portraits don't seem to load correctly. When I tried to give a specific Iberian portrait through console and I've noticed that any portraits after 27 just don't load and it loops back to the first few portraits instead I don't know if it does it for any other culture as I haven't really check any of the others.

On 6/10/2020 at 6:26 PM, SOMEGUY789 said:

Some of the portraits don't seem to load correctly. When I tried to give a specific Iberian portrait through console and I've noticed that any portraits after 27 just don't load and it loops back to the first few portraits instead I don't know if it does it for any other culture as I haven't really check any of the others.

I checked it out myself. As it turned out, while portrait "looping" works [it's meant to], it started doing it with cultures it's NOT supposed to do it with [like Latin].

Some cultures do loop back around as they don't have as many portraits as the "max limit" [Altaic for example has 26 portraits, while Latin has 43] when they got passed 27.

Regardless, latest update should resolve the issue of some cultures looping back around when they shouldn't be.

• 1 month later...

Thank you, I really like the mechanic of this.

So far all the other static portrait mods I saw don't seem to either work with the base game culture groups or just require you to assigned manually.
Though I'd most likely replace all the art works to be more consistent on art style, just personal preference. 

11 hours ago, ziggyxaki said:

Hope this isn't too dumb of a question, but what file am I supposed to download? Do I download all 3?

No,  it's said in the compatibility part of the OP.
After the End and After the End OW files are for their namesake mods.

• 2 weeks later...