BreakArmor for Vanilla Armors (Last Update: 130115)

The Vanilla Break Armor meshes work fine and behave as expected within the game, yet for the life of me I cannot figure out what causes specifically-made esp break armors to not work (Heilige Mutter, Blessed Mage Knight, MH Harvest Melan)  

Off the top of your head, does anyone have suggestions as to what would cause these custom-made meshes to NOT break?  

All stage nifs are present, and naming convention closely follows the recommended method.  

Well, BreakArmor checks the actual folder path. It won't work with anything inside of a BSA, so that could be causing a problem.

Could you post a screenshot showing one of the folders?

Kudos on the quick response, appreciate it... No .BSAs involved, default installs of the mod would be the paths:

(Meshes)

....\r18pn\armor\Heilige Mutter Armor\  upbodyC.nif thru upbodyC_ba1.nif ...._ba3.nif

....\Movomo\HarvestMelan\HarvestBU1.nif thru BU4.nif.

etc.

upbodyC.nif

upbodyC_ba1.nif

upbodyC_ba2.nif

etc.

Should work fine, as long as the file path corresponds with what ever is in the .esp for the item in question.

I'll need to double check my code, but I believe that BU1.nif etc won't actually be recognized by BreakArmor as a break armor compatible mesh. Instead that would need to either be loaded via the ini file, or the file names would need to be changed.

upbodyC.nif

upbodyC_ba1.nif

upbodyC_ba2.nif

etc.

Should work fine, as long as the file path corresponds with what ever is in the .esp for the item in question.

I'll need to double check my code, but I believe that BU1.nif etc won't actually be recognized by BreakArmor as a break armor compatible mesh. Instead that would need to either be loaded via the ini file, or the file names would need to be changed.

Yes, they correspond yet it fails to 'break'.  I have dropped the code within every break*.ini I can find, to no avail.

I can change the esp easy enough.  I noticed that both of these examples do not reside within the 'Armor' folder, but at same level as 'Armor'.  Can this be a problem?

Well, I don't know what to tell you.

If all of the file names follow the correct convention, the esp references the correct file, and the files are all located in the correct place, the tool will work. There isn't really any way for it not to work at that point.

So, if the base nif is called thisFolder/basename.nif, the armor item in the esp should reference thisFolder/basename.nif as the mesh path.

Within /thisFolder/

basename.nif

basename_ba1.nif

basename_ba2.nif

...etc

So, If you're willing to package everything up, I can take a look at it and make sure that you've set up everything correctly.

Well, I don't know what to tell you.

If all of the file names follow the correct convention, the esp references the correct file, and the files are all located in the correct place, the tool will work. There isn't really any way for it not to work at that point.

So, if the base nif is called thisFolder/basename.nif, the armor item in the esp should reference thisFolder/basename.nif as the mesh path.

Within /thisFolder/

basename.nif

basename_ba1.nif

basename_ba2.nif

...etc

So, If you're willing to package everything up, I can take a look at it and make sure that you've set up everything correctly.

Hmmm, that is an option.  I have experimented--to no avail--with the following:  Changed .esp reference and location of .nifs to \armor\ directory.  No breaky-breaky. 

Form Finder esp does not 'see' the base mesh either when I fire off on what my character is wearing.  It happily reports all the nifs for vanilla break armors.  Probably related.  I can find the form id with tes4edit, but I am not sure how the .esp form ID is so that I can force the break armor with the break armor.ini.

Well, FormID Finder depends on pretty much the same OBSE calls to detect base meshes that BreakArmor does.

So if FormID Finder can't identify the base mesh, BreakArmor probably can't either. And if BreakArmor can't detect the base mesh, it can't actually do anything with it. Honestly, I didn't know it was possible. It may be some weird Oblivion/OBSE bug, or intended behavior caused by some other mod...no idea.

Either way, I'd wager that the problem is with an ESP/ESM rather than the file system/names. Either the ESP that you are using to load the armor is doing something seriously funky, or some other Mod is conflicting with it in some weird way.

Have you tried loading all of your active mods in tes4Edit? Do any other mods appear to be modifying that piece of equipment?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, FormID Finder depends on pretty much the same OBSE calls to detect base meshes that BreakArmor does.

So if FormID Finder can't identify the base mesh, BreakArmor probably can't either. And if BreakArmor can't detect the base mesh, it can't actually do anything with it. Honestly, I didn't know it was possible. It may be some weird Oblivion/OBSE bug, or intended behavior caused by some other mod...no idea.

Either way, I'd wager that the problem is with an ESP/ESM rather than the file system/names. Either the ESP that you are using to load the armor is doing something seriously funky, or some other Mod is conflicting with it in some weird way.

Have you tried loading all of your active mods in tes4Edit? Do any other mods appear to be modifying that piece of equipment?

Update:  No, tes4Edit did not show any other mods affecting it.

I got it to work by creating two scripts and associating each with the respective pieces of armor of concern.  

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem as bolodigby, so if anyone could help me, that'll be great.

I have my own compilation of armour sets named in _ba#.nif (e.g.: blackwisteria.nif, blackwisteria_ba1.nif, blackwisteria_ba2.nif, blackwisteria_ba3.nif, blackwisteria_ba4.nif), so there should be no conflicts with any other mods (as far as I can tell) because all my mesh files are in its own folder under Data/meshes/armor/

I created my own esp which loads all the armour as unisex armours, and I have tested it with Break Undies 2.0 on its own and everything works (armour breaking) perfectly. When I try to use it with BreakArmor 1.10f and the vanilla BU armours, the BU armours seem to work fine (tested with ebony armour and it breaks), but my custom armours don't break. I've tried moving all the ini commands from BreakUndies.ini to Break_Armor.ini, and it all cases it successfully logs [break_Armor.ini] loaded in the console.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a bug with this where it eventually will make vanilla armor that is equipped disappear permanently. That is, it always periodically vanishes for a millisecond to re-assess the damage, but sometimes the game forgets it was in my inventory at all. It's annoying, albeit vanilla armors can be re-attained easily. Just annoying when im deep in a dungeon and cant get new armors right away. Anyone else get this bug?

• 8 months later...
20 minutes ago, BFG said:

Is there a non-OMOD version of this available anywhere?  I'd rather not install OBMM to use this.

Thanks in advance...

Why not ? What do you use to sort your mods ?  TESModmanager and OBMM can install  and unpack OMods. Nexus Modmanager you do NOT use for Oblivion.

Do you have Fallout / FalloutNV  with Modmanager  FOMM or TESModmanager ? Then you can use the FOMM/TESMM to unpack the OMod ( Option: Extract to Folder ), then you can install the Mod manually.

Or Skyrim with TESModmanager ?

-------------------

So many Oblivion Mods are in OMods, sooner or later you must install TESModmanager or OBMM, at least to unpack OMods.

To answer your question: I use BOSS, TES4Edit, TES4LodGen, LandMagic, BSAOpt, Ordenador and PyFFI.  I am very comfortable with manual installation of mods, and I prefer to install mods manually so that I can have full control over them.  I have never wanted to install a mod that only had an OMOD version, until now.

You can install OBMM, then use it to extract the OMOD file to a folder, then uninstall OBMM.  

Just remember what folder you extracted the OMOD folder to so you can then manually install the mod.

Personally I also install all of my mods manually as well.  I do keep OBMM installed as it does have some useful tools (such as the extractor).

Cheers,

Greg