Animal Mansion 4??? (Dev Thread)

Below are my current notes and list of quests. Big and important things are redacted, but other minor stuff aren't and may be considered spoilers.

Notes (assorted ideas and plans, +yes ?maybe -no)

Spoiler

FOLLOWERS AND NPCS
==================

+ Recruit followers as Mansion staff
+ Followers as substitutes for the player
? Recruit NPCs as Mansion staff
? Wenches

ANIMAL MANSION
==============

+ Player recommends animals to clients
+ Player recommends animals for the party
+ Premium show rooms for clients
+ Thaena works too
? Group events for people in the waiting room
? Initial quest to discover the Mansion
? Invest time and effort into animals to get something in return
? Thaena offers daily food and drink
? Employee uniform
- Move or build the first Mansion
- Redesign the interior
- Animals die

[redacted]:
+ [redacted]
? [redacted]

NPCs
====
+ Siddgeir checks on his investment
? (Thaena) Player introduces her to animals (as an unlock for parties?)
? Rich investor

QUESTS
======

+ More training quests (Mansion and on-site)
+ Some serious quests, some normal Skyrim quests but kinky, fewer gofer quests
+ Missives-type selection from available quests
+ Quest arcs (for specific NPCs)
+ Non-con quests toggle
+ Spriggan recurring villain
? Player "corrupts" NPCs
? Something special involving Khajiit and Argonians
? Species ambassadors
- Lease animals from NPCs

Arcs:
+ Dwemer ruins/Blackreach
+ Solstheim

Reusable:
+ Subdue a pack of animals
+ Bait for an animal
+ Hunt with the Companions
+ Vet
+ Client requests animal, player locates and delivers
+ College of Winterhold

MODS
====

+ Amorous Adventures https://www.loverslab.com/topic/109518-amorous-adventures-34-sse-for-lovers-lab/
+ Bad Dog's Immersive Creatures https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/6663-bad-dogs-immersive-creatures-se/
+ Bestial Essence https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/10036-bestial-essence-se/
+ Bulls https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/12801-bulls/
? Beeing A Cow https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/10665-bac-converted-to-se/
? Immersive Wenches https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/595
? Forgotten Wenches https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/601

ANIMAL REPLACERS
================

Bears
+ Bears of the North - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/47541

Quests (editor IDs and titles, if assigned, but none of my notes about them, ? means TBD)

Spoiler

MAIN QUESTS
===========

MQ00    A Sudden Change of Plans
MQ01    A Journey of 1000 Animals...
MQ02    My Kingdom for a Sheep
MQ03    In Good Company
MQ04    The Beast, at Ivarstead
MQ05    First Come, First Serve
MQ06    Neither Loveable nor a Rogue
?       ?
?       ?
?       ?
?       ?
?       ?

---

?       ?

REPLAY QUESTS
=============

MR03    ?
MR04    ?
?       ?
?       ?
?       ?
?       ?
?       ?

---

?       ?

CLIENT QUESTS
=============

(all)   ?
CQ01
CQ02
CQ03
CQ04

PARTY QUESTS
============

PQ01    ?
PQ02    Men's Night
PQ03    Ladies' Night
PQ04    The Competition
PQ05    ?

ARC QUESTS
==========

AQ01    Ysolda
        01      ?
AQ02    Annekke Crag-Jumper
        01      ?
?       [redacted]
        01      ?
?       Dawnguard
        01      ?
        ?       ?
        ?       ?
        ?       ?
?       Dragonborn/Solstheim
        01      ?
        ?       ?
        ?       ?
        ?       ?
        ?       ?

RADIANT QUESTS
==============

*       RQ0001  A Little Something While You Wait
        RQ0002  A Little Something While You Wait
dog     RQ0101  The Dog Sale
        RQ0102  The Dog Sale
        RQ0103  Woman's Best Friend
        RQ0104  Mixing It Up in the Bedroom
        RQ0105  Mixing It Up in the Bedroom
        RQ0106  ?
        RQ0107  Animal Control Officer
horse   RQ0201  The Horse Sale
        RQ0202  The Horse Sale
        RQ0203  A Large Undertaking
        RQ0204  Finding a Better Outlet
        RQ0205  ?
        RQ0206  ?
wolf    RQ0301  Strength in Numbers
        RQ0302  Strength in Numbers
        RQ0303  The Right Bait for The Job
        RQ0304  The Right Bait for The Job
        RQ0305  Tally-ho!
        RQ0306  Part of the Pack
        RQ0307  Familiars 101
bear    RQ0401  Who Does She Think She's Kidding?
        RQ0402  ?
spider  ?       ?

Definitely following along. I was looking forward to AMP progressing and some of the new things in the test version mybrainhurts sent me, but unfortunately he disappeared before it got finished.

Really wishing you the best going forward with this and I'm excited to see where you take it.

33 minutes ago, tlrd said:

Here's an idea for male characters have the ablility to offer up female followers. Loved AMR can't wait to see this.

That's about the only option I have. So far I'm considering it as a combination of "detect available animations" and "allow followers to do (whatever) for you". Female PCs could use it or not, male PCs would pretty much have to.

5 hours ago, tasairis said:
  • Example: Mammoths would be side-quests because (a) they couldn't fit in the basement and (b) there's potential for involving giants...

Brings new meaning to go big or go home ?.

Thanks for making this thread and keeping us updated, this is going to get alot of interest. Looking forward to it!

I haven't played the original AMP for a long time, only the test version I got, so I can't remember if this was implemented in the public release or not.

There were parties where the player could either get random clients or choose clients and Theana would participate in those.

There were also a couple of training scenarios. One was off site for falmer IIRC. There was also a conjurer that would occasionally visit the mansion to watch you with drauger.

The player was also given one of the upstairs rooms after a short quest to obtain permits for the mansion to be what it is. Seemed sufficient to me personally as just a place to stay while doing shows.

Not that you need to do these of course, just throwing them out as options to build off or disregard. ?

Thank you for bringing this mod back and wanting to improve it. I would be happy to see Jala again if possible.

Actually think that the animal villa should stay in Falkreath fits quite well there and causes the fewest problems.

In any case, I wish you much success and just hope that you will be able to expand this mod again.

Well, well, well. You have big plans, that is for sure. ? Best of luck, @tasairis. I'm rooting for you.

Question:

I do not recall if any of the AM family of mods had it already, but if you are doing a more-or-less wholesome rework anyways, would it be possible to make all used NPCs standalone, even vanilla ones (by making a copy and using the original as a template)? In my experience with mods, the smaller the footprint on existing assets is, the better for my sanity and possible incompatibilites. (Dunno if I explained what I mean correctly, sorry.)

Best of luck, this mod is a classic and it would be great to see it revitalized with new dialogue and content.

Aware that you plan on developing for SE exclusively, but hopefully it turn out to be able to function in LE with minimal conversions.  If not, perhaps the mod would be something worth booting up SE for just to try out for those of us who can't get around to abandoning our LE load orders. :classic_tongue:

Just to throw one more idea out there - as we are going to end up with a lot of critters, perhaps some of the creature quests could also come with worker NPCs who help fill out the roles of vets and keepers for the various major creature types?

For example, when the player is adding horses to the mansion, perhaps at the same time the opportunity arises to hire a farrier/vet who's job would be to take care of the larger hooved animals.  There could also be tweaks to the story - perhaps the PC isn't successful at buying a horse outright, but is approached by an NPC who owns a horse and is ashamed to be into the same *activities* - so instead of buying a horse, the PC hires the NPC who brings their own horse(s) to the mansion and takes care of them and future elk/mammoths ect.

Another idea (and optionally a mod story tie-in) could be an NPC resembling a Forgotten Wench (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72104) that comes along as an kind of liaison to the Falmer and caretaker of the chaurus creatures in the mansion.  Wouldn't need to actually have the Wench mod installed as AME could package its own version of the falmer bikini armor for the NPC, and just loosely tie in her "story" similar to the wenches mod (which has a vague story at best explaining the wenches - it is only told through notes they drop as enemies).

This could fill in some logic gaps about how the mansion is able to care for the various critters it houses, some of which would require very specialized treatment Thaena or the PC simply wouldn't have knowledge of.

17 hours ago, sfeile said:

There were parties where the player could either get random clients or choose clients and Theana would participate in those.

That was released.

There were also a couple of training scenarios. One was off site for falmer IIRC.

Abelone. Also released.

There was also a conjurer that would occasionally visit the mansion to watch you with drauger.

Forgetting his name now, but also released.

The player was also given one of the upstairs rooms after a short quest to obtain permits for the mansion to be what it is. Seemed sufficient to me personally as just a place to stay while doing shows.

At the beginning of the mod? Yup.

Not that you need to do these of course, just throwing them out as options to build off or disregard. ?

I'm keeping all of it.

3 hours ago, Twycross448 said:

I do not recall if any of the AM family of mods had it already, but if you are doing a more-or-less wholesome rework anyways, would it be possible to make all used NPCs standalone, even vanilla ones (by making a copy and using the original as a template)? In my experience with mods, the smaller the footprint on existing assets is, the better for my sanity and possible incompatibilites. (Dunno if I explained what I mean correctly, sorry.)

Don't worry, I won't be changing existing NPCs or whatever. Quests should be able to handle just about everything I can think of.

I expect the only conflicts will be with the location of the mansion (including landscape and navmesh changes) and with cells where I have to place stuff (ITM cells with new references).

2 hours ago, Reesewow said:

Aware that you plan on developing for SE exclusively, but hopefully it turn out to be able to function in LE with minimal conversions.  If not, perhaps the mod would be something worth booting up SE for just to try out for those of us who can't get around to abandoning our LE load orders. :classic_tongue:

MadMansGun believes form 44s can work in LE, but my plugin doesn't have enough in it yet to try testing with. Worst case there are problems, but I think I have a backup technique that may do the job.

I was planning to use ESPLs though, when it comes to pulling in non-trivial content from other mods, but I suppose LE people are used to merging plugins anyways...

Just to throw one more idea out there - as we are going to end up with a lot of critters, perhaps some of the creature quests could also come with worker NPCs who help fill out the roles of vets and keepers for the various major creature types?

I do feel bad about sticking all these creatures in the basement with no one to tend to them. (I mean, other than that.) So I am already thinking about it. It might be something that I put off until a certain thing happens later which will give a good reason to do this sort of thing.

For example, when the player is adding horses to the mansion, perhaps at the same time the opportunity arises to hire a farrier/vet who's job would be to take care of the larger hooved animals.

There's a few options here, like

• Could be incorporated into the horse quest... but the horse is unlocked creature #2 and I don't think Thaena will have enough money to hire one yet. Pay with something other than money?
  • Could be a separate "hire a vet" quest. When there are enough creatures that hiring a vet is important. Perhaps one of them is injured? Especially with all the physical labor these animals perform.
  • Could be a random "vet making a house call" quest. I'm leaning towards this as I kinda want the main quest to be slim and instead to unlock a wide variety of random/client quests.

There could also be tweaks to the story - perhaps the PC isn't successful at buying a horse outright, but is approached by an NPC who owns a horse and is ashamed to be into the same *activities* - so instead of buying a horse, the PC hires the NPC who brings their own horse(s) to the mansion and takes care of them and future elk/mammoths ect.

Hmm. A rather substantial change. Would have to make the whole "trek across Skyrim searching for a hostler willing to sell their horse" thing happen for a different creature, but that's feasible.

On the other hand, this "hire the NPC with their animal" thing could apply to some other creature too. And I would prefer to keep the existing quest line mostly intact as I'm already making enough changes simply as a consequence of rewriting the dialogue.

Another idea (and optionally a mod story tie-in) could be an NPC resembling a Forgotten Wench (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72104) that comes along as an kind of liaison to the Falmer and caretaker of the chaurus creatures in the mansion.  Wouldn't need to actually have the Wench mod installed as AME could package its own version of the falmer bikini armor for the NPC, and just loosely tie in her "story" similar to the wenches mod (which has a vague story at best explaining the wenches - it is only told through notes they drop as enemies).

Works for me. But I would do it as a proper ESPL plugin so I could use the mod and its assets more easily.

The vet concept is significant enough that I'd put it in the main plugin, so the Wenches would need a different role - liason, vet consultant, something. It doesn't look like that mod has a whole lot of lore I could work with, huh?

This could fill in some logic gaps about how the mansion is able to care for the various critters it houses, some of which would require very specialized treatment Thaena or the PC simply wouldn't have knowledge of.

Yeah, I'm sold on the vet. Not sure when or how to work it in yet, but I want one.

1 hour ago, tasairis said:

Works for me. But I would do it as a proper ESPL plugin so I could use the mod and its assets more easily.

The vet concept is significant enough that I'd put it in the main plugin, so the Wenches would need a different role - liason, vet consultant, something. It doesn't look like that mod has a whole lot of lore I could work with, huh?

I was more thinking an NPC that was wench "like" so those with Forbidden Wenches recognize her as fitting in as a wench, and those without just see her as a unique NPC rocking Falmer bikini armor who's down with the underdwellers.  Reason I don't think you'd need a plugin is because the majority of the assets used in the wench mods are already essentially free use, so unless you found a mechanic in the mod you wanted to make use of it may be easier to just package an NPC with a unique body and a set of unique armor and treat her as a "nod" to those mods. 

That being said I'm vaguely remembering that one of the falmer-related quests in AM+ had an NPC that "helped out" - so the "liason" role may already be filled.  If so I guess I'm just suggesting she get falmer bikini armor at some point. :classic_tongue:

Forgotten Wenches is more of a minor plugin mod to the other Wench mods - the main ones are:

Immersive Wenches: (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/595)

Yuriana Follower + captured wenches: (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/598)

All the wench mods together definitely gives the forgotten wenches lore by proxy - otherwise Forgotten Wenches basically just have that story on the mod download page.  That is a lot of mods with a petty big impact on Skyrim - so probably a pretty big reach to expect most users to have them or want them.

If I remember correctly early on in AM or AM+(maybe both not sure), you find a threatening note stuck to the door with a knife but then it never goes anywhere(unfinished quest?), I'm assuming the idea was that some people in Falkreath werent happy with the mansion, maybe they try and do something about it.  That could be a serious line to go down if you want to add that kind of stuff.

Also, a feature I would like to suggest is changing the radiant ("is there anything else to do") quests so its not random, its fun at first but once you been through them a few times that fades.  I was playing the mod the other day and I realised how obnoxious it can be going through the dialogue over and over again if you want to do a particular job.  So, either make it so you can just choose which job you want to do, or if you want to keep the random aspect, maybe make it so if you turn a job down, it reduces the chance of that job coming up again for x amount of time.

I was more thinking an NPC that was wench "like" so those with Forbidden Wenches recognize her as fitting in as a wench, and those without just see her as a unique NPC rocking Falmer bikini armor who's down with the underdwellers.  Reason I don't think you'd need a plugin is because the majority of the assets used in the wench mods are already essentially free use, so unless you found a mechanic in the mod you wanted to make use of it may be easier to just package an NPC with a unique body and a set of unique armor and treat her as a "nod" to those mods. 

Hmm. I'll keep thinking about it.

That being said I'm vaguely remembering that one of the falmer-related quests in AM+ had an NPC that "helped out" - so the "liason" role may already be filled.  If so I guess I'm just suggesting she get falmer bikini armor at some point. :classic_tongue:

Yeah, you're thinking of Abelone. But she only covers the one group, while a Forgotten Wench-style liaison could serve as an ambassador for all falmer.

Forgotten Wenches is more of a minor plugin mod to the other Wench mods - the main ones are:

Immersive Wenches: (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/595)

Yuriana Follower + captured wenches: (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/598)

All the wench mods together definitely gives the forgotten wenches lore by proxy - otherwise Forgotten Wenches basically just have that story on the mod download page.  That is a lot of mods with a petty big impact on Skyrim - so probably a pretty big reach to expect most users to have them or want them.

Having looked through those mods, I'm beginning to think about "wenches" in general. They're a common concept for mods, even if they're borderline (at least on Nexus) prostitutes. Then separate from that is a concept of animal ambassadors, especially for the more intelligent animal species (eg, falmer, giants, Dwemer constructs?).

Then Immersive/etc. Wenches is a mod whose NPCs are recognized as wenches, while Forgotten Wenches specifically also has wenches but additionally includes the ambassador aspect.

43 minutes ago, Evilhomer said:

If I remember correctly early on in AM or AM+(maybe both not sure), you find a threatening note stuck to the door with a knife but then it never goes anywhere(unfinished quest?), I'm assuming the idea was that some people in Falkreath werent happy with the mansion, maybe they try and do something about it.  That could be a serious line to go down if you want to add that kind of stuff.

I don't recognize that. But I like the "townsfolk don't want the business around and threaten you" idea - and I know exactly what to do with it.

Also, a feature I would like to suggest is changing the radiant ("is there anything else to do") quests so its not random, its fun at first but once you been through them a few times that fades.

Fair point. I hadn't thought too hard about this part yet, but I was expecting to give more options. What I would most want to do I can't because it would involve inserting dynamic text into Thaena's dialogue, which isn't possible, so probably something along the lines of the AMX engine gathering a handful of new and repeat quests, then Thaena offering the player a choice between them. Could adjust the algorithm to favor uncompleted quests. Even more, could let the player ask whether specific types (not individual) quests were available.

Hell, there will be an MCM so this sort of thing could be customized a lot: prioritize certain quest "tags", de-prioritize others, favor quests for newly unlocked creatures, whatever.

But yeah, I hear you. One time I wanted to check out something in the Companions quest, and after some 15 minutes of trying the RNG was still refusing to let me do it.

I was playing the mod the other day and I realised how obnoxious it can be going through the dialogue over and over again if you want to do a particular job.  So, either make it so you can just choose which job you want to do, or if you want to keep the random aspect, maybe make it so if you turn a job down, it reduces the chance of that job coming up again for x amount of time.

...which is basically what I said above. Yeah, I tend to reply to posts as I'm still reading them.

9 minutes ago, tasairis said:

you find a threatening note stuck to the door

9 minutes ago, tasairis said:

I don't recognize that.

I believe that was from bestial essence.

There was a part in AMP where you actually went and did a show for the jarl to gain the permission needed to open as the animal mansion. However even though the jarl liked and agreed, that doesn't mean there couldn't be townsfolk that didn't like it.

13 minutes ago, tasairis said:

Fair point. I hadn't thought too hard about this part yet, but I was expecting to give more options. What I would most want to do I can't because it would involve inserting dynamic text into Thaena's dialogue, which isn't possible, so probably something along the lines of the AMX engine gathering a handful of new and repeat quests, then Thaena offering the player a choice between them. Could adjust the algorithm to favor uncompleted quests. Even more, could let the player ask whether specific types (not individual) quests were available.

I really like this idea. One of the things (probably the only real thing) that bugged me about the mod was that the "random" something to do quests weren't very random. If you turned one down because you had done it 3 times, it always showed back up constantly. Seems like I always got the dog in riverwood and almost nothing else.

4 hours ago, sfeile said:

There was a part in AMP where you actually went and did a show for the jarl to gain the permission needed to open as the animal mansion. However even though the jarl liked and agreed, that doesn't mean there couldn't be townsfolk that didn't like it.

True. But if you don't mind, I'm going to put this idea on hold until later where I think I can put it to even better use. It fits really well into some other plans I have.

4 hours ago, sfeile said:

I really like this idea. One of the things (probably the only real thing) that bugged me about the mod was that the "random" something to do quests weren't very random. If you turned one down because you had done it 3 times, it always showed back up constantly. Seems like I always got the dog in riverwood and almost nothing else.

Yeah. Between the cooldowns I'll probably put on the non-radiant quests, the ability to choose from a (small) selection of available quests, and a (hopefully) large pool of available radiant quests, I think I can alleviate a good amount of the repetition and boredom.

Hey Tasairis  I had another idea for you that could break up the repetitive quests a little. What if you added training stages to both the radiant quests and the women in the lobby who are interested in experimenting with animals.

Ex. The radiant quest where you teach a female npc how to love her dog might call you back for a bigger challenge of learning how to love her horse or a pair of dogs if she has them.

In the mansion jobs the same idea applies if they "new" to this experience and the female npcs might want to start with a dog - then wolf, horse, bear ect. Maybe they have a fetish and want to jump to the biggest creature you have after they discover they are into it. You might even be able to offer suggestions to an npc " I think you can handle ex bear now so lets try that"

hi, very cool that this mod idea is picked up again, sadly Skyrim SE and not LE but I fully respect the decisions of the modder.

I personally would love to see some multistage quests for the main quest, not just a "go to A and mate with b" next quest "go to C and mate with D", I think some build up (!), some underlying humor and some nice writing is key.

In regards to quest ideas I would like to mention Bestial Essence (as a genric example on how to do kinky quests in a good way) but specifically also Riding Styles (https://www.loverslab.com/topic/56723-riding-styles-2-6-3-18/) and Fill Her Up (https://www.loverslab.com/topic/35463-fill-her-up-cum-inflation/ and https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/2381-fill-her-up-netimmerse-override-compatibility-patch/).
Riding styles: the principle idea of not only to include mateing but giving it a kinky purpose or it's just a byproduct, I'm aware that messing with the mount system is very tricky and possibly never could be integrated, but maybe the principle is a source for quest ideas

Fill her up: version 2 of the mod also contains a short quest mod ! this quest mod is about a animal splunk collection, delivery and transport service :P sadly the mod only has 1,1/2 quests and it was never offically released but the idea is a kinky brain nuke

happy to expand on the ideas
cheers

9 hours ago, sfeile said:

I believe that was from bestial essence.

Yep I think your right, been a while since i played bestial essence, guess I'm just blurring them into one lol.

Another suggestion, maybe there could be risky jobs(either main or side quest)where there is a chance of things going sideways, like the Forsworn want to do some weird ritual with animals, or some bandits are having a big drunken party and they want some entertainment.

DLC wise, maybe you get a request to go to Solstheim from a certain hall up in the north and you and a couple of followers (maybe Theana as well?) go over there for a big old orgy.

So I had this thought. In the other mods its pretty cut and dry in bringing the creatures in the mansion. 1 gather 2 bring home 3 bang

How about this for immersion depth and expanding on training, when you bring a creature back Theana gets excited about certain creatures and wants to try them. Ex "Oh you have brought back a bear! I' Have never been with a creatre that big, lets go to the basement and try him" Theana invites you to the basement to have you watch her try the new creature.

She got you into all this wouldn't she be interested in trying new things too?

Training Theana could be trained as well as a player on practicing with an animal separately or on jobs. Complete enough training with certain creatures befor you can inite them to the party as they need to build up their stamina. The player and Theana need to build up their stamina through training too. Over working an animal could play into the vet scenario. Possibility creature could die and you have to get another.      

13 hours ago, skyrim482 said:

Hey Tasairis  I had another idea for you that could break up the repetitive quests a little. What if you added training stages to both the radiant quests and the women in the lobby who are interested in experimenting with animals.

Ex. The radiant quest where you teach a female npc how to love her dog might call you back for a bigger challenge of learning how to love her horse or a pair of dogs if she has them.

In the mansion jobs the same idea applies if they "new" to this experience and the female npcs might want to start with a dog - then wolf, horse, bear ect. Maybe they have a fetish and want to jump to the biggest creature you have after they discover they are into it. You might even be able to offer suggestions to an npc " I think you can handle ex bear now so lets try that"

Quest progression. I like it. My first reaction is that I should use it sparingly and for specifically-chosen NPCs (allows an opportunity to write a more detailed story), but we'll see what happens.