[mod] Rimworld 1.3: Nephila Hyperpregnancy Race Mod

Pushed some new test content to the github version of the mod (this is where all new experimental content will go before confirming the mod is ready for an update). 

Gitgud link: https://gitgud.io/HiveBro/nephila-rjw

Picture of new content: 

Spoiler

20200523161644_1.jpg.6eacc7b7fbe3989b4fb23f16ebbc3816.jpg

Basic rundown of content added: 

Spoiler

* An armor set for non-nephilim humanoids, a dress for non-nephilim humanoids, and a helmet for non-nephilim humanoids. At the moment they're all craftable without restrction, though I'll eventually tweak them so that you need to engage with the Nephilim themselves to gain access to them. 

* An aura armor set for Queen's Guard. They finally have armor!

* Changed the old grand matron bed to a slime pool. Now when Queen's Guard and Grand Matrons disappear in their beds, you can headcannon that they're just merging with the slime--hooray! (I swear I'll figure out how to fix this, eventually.)

* Added two new weapons. The first is a close combat lance that inflicts slow but significant damage and occasionally can drive enemies struck berserk. The second is a ranged combat "lance" statue that launches nephilim projectiles and can inflict nephila sickness.

* Added an advanced turret (still undergoing visual tweaking). Like the gun, this turret inflicts nephila sickness. It is also made of stone and therefore extremely resilient to both physical damage and fire. Its major weak points are mediocre range and slow fire/projectile speed. 

* Did some minor tweaking of certain xml files to resolve redline errors. Certain issues revolving around titles should be fixed. That said, I'm also a bit worried my tweaking could have made things go wonky somewhere and I haven't noticed yet. The royal title system is pretty cantankerous.

I encourage folks to try the new stuff out and let me know if you notice anything that needs fixed/changed (there will be plenty). I advise folks in the middle of long playthroughs to consider carefully before downloading the git beta. There shouldn't be anything changed in what's being released that interferes with extant saves, but you never know. 

Once some time has passed to allow for feedback to trickle in, and after I've adjusted certain aspects of the faction and raid generation aspects of the mod that I've been meaning to tweak (no more stranded Nephila visitors, hopefully), I'll release an official update on LL and googledocs.

Sorry for the double post, but made some additional substantive updates to the test git version of the mod and thought I should mention it in case folks were interested. A visual rundown: 

Spoiler

20200525150403_1.jpg.d7702a590d8b448050ba0392fa48f4b9.jpg

List of changes: 
* Added a new biome with all sorts of plants and stuff. Primary features: 

- the lady trees and snake grass can be harvested for a wood/stone replacement material. Might eventually make it a component in the nephila armor sets/weapons (you'll be able to grow it).

- Lower chance of catching regular diseases compared to regular temperate, but higher chance of catching mechanite diseases.

- You can catch nephila sickness and another mechanite disease that can drive pawns berserk as the most common diseases. * Seraphim and Cherubim are the primary predators on the map (though not overwhelmingly common).

- You're supposed to be able to find the nephila workbench as a ruin, but I can't seem to get that working at the moment.

- No healroot grows naturally on the map. Instead, ambrosia grows at the same rate healroot would.

* Tweaked the nephila faction with new raiders and traders. There are now several different styles of raids the faction can throw at you (including an all tentacle raid, a heavy armored knight raid, and an "everyone and their grandmother has explosives" raid). Nephila maidens/handmaidens/matrons no longer spawn as raiders, though they can still be encountered at Nephila bases. Nephila traders are now humanoid cultists who are serving the empire, thus reducing the need to bury nephila traders when they inevitably starve to death from being so slow.

* Some minor tweaks to the "Awakened Empire" start.

* One additional item: a metal laurel that can be worn over top of helmets (though it does clash with any items that cover the neck, so some non-nephilim armors might not always be compatible). 

I like the new biome!

While playing on it, I encountered an unusual situation: a wild pawn wandering around the map contracted nephila sickness, and on transforming the new nephila was added to my colony. I wasn't sure if that was a bug or not, but my colony didn't yet have any nephila in it. If transformed wild pawns are supposed to join, I think it should only happen if there's at least one nephila in the colony already.

By wild pawn, do you mean an animal? There's a check for non-intelligent animals that should prevent them from transforming, so that would be a bug. If it was a wild woman, then they're fair game and that would be working as intended, though.

Edit: Ah, and to respond to why the nephilim joining happens in the biome, a big part of it is that preventing that from happening would involve a significant overhaul of the transformation code and that could break quite a few things. I might change that code some day to allow for more nuance, but that would be its own dedicated overhaul and would probably require a bunch of testing with everything else being pretty much guaranteed stable.

In the case of the nephilitic eden biome, it's meant as another way to allow players to play with Nephila outside of upsetting the Nephila faction and/or using one of the custom starts, so having wild pawns/prisoners join the colony as Nephila is working as intended. Let me know as you play if it seems to be dragging down gameplay/etc., though, it will definitely help me to balance things.

3 hours ago, HiveBro said:

By wild pawn, do you mean an animal? There's a check for non-intelligent animals that should prevent them from transforming, so that would be a bug. If it was a wild woman, then they're fair game and that would be working as intended, though.

Yes, it was a wild woman (well, wild dragonian). Thanks for the clarification!

1 hour ago, genericlogin said:

Yes, it was a wild woman (well, wild dragonian). Thanks for the clarification!

Ah hah, okay. Yup, intended. Glad to hear you don't have random muffalo turning into goo girls. Let me know if you run into any more issues.

Update 1.1.2 (5/27/2020), The Eden Update, is now fully released! 

Spoiler

20200527164802_1.jpg.d8b2e2f78fb7e54ba831f4ad9fca7d26.jpg

Additions/Changes: 

* A lot, and I had to touch factions, so be careful when updating in existing saves. 

* The Nephila now have human cultists to do their bidding. Nephilite cultists will now represent their chosen nephilum maidens on the battlefield (mnnn-m'lady). As a consequence, Nephila maidens, handmaidens, matrons, and grand matrons will not be encountered outside nephila faction bases. Instead, humans (equipped in nephila specific gear - more on that later), nephila seraphim/cherubim serpents, and queen's guard will act as traders and raiders for the faction. There are a few variations of raiders you can encounter, including all snake raids (seraphs and cherubs in high numbers with a few queen's guard sometimes thrown in), heavy infantry (lots of folks in power equivalent armor), and all-explosives-all-the-time (every pawn either has grenades or acidifier implants--best to handle them from a distance!). Hopefully this will help with the worst of the issues involved with nephila dying and transforming while visiting bases.

* A new biome, the "Nephilitic Eden." It features unique flora which can be harvested for a wood/stone equivalent resource, unique disease incidents (be ready for pawns to come down with fewer flues and instead have chance to get boobitis/nephila sickness/a few other treats), and nephila seraphim and cherubim wandering it as regular animals. The biome has no naturally growing healroot, instead providing access to naturally growing ambrosia.

* New gear for humanoid pawns, including a dress, power armor equivalent, and golden laurel. 
* Two new weapons: The first is a fairly low level/easy to produce lance that deals significant damage in close combat and can sometimes drive opponents berserk if you hit them with its tip, but has the drawback of decreasing movement speed. The second is a ranged rifle equivalent bound weapon that is rather difficult to obtain and inflicts nephila sickness on hit. The new nephilite cultist pawns can of course be seen using both weapons!
* A high level turret that can inflict nephila sickness and an ied equivalent that can transform those it hits into nephila cherubim.
* A bunch of amazing looking furniture drawn by Archina (website portfolio link: https://squidlet.design/archina/gallery.html); There's a standing lamp equivalent shaped like a fountain, a wall lamp, and a storage container for eggs.
* Lots of little tweaks and changes, including some minor changes to the Awakened Empire starting scenario.

Hope you all enjoy!

Edit: I finally just figured out how to update the regular download button. You should now be able to download 1.1.2 by clicking the green button. Why I took so long to figure out how to do that? A mystery for the ages. Hopefully it should make things easier for folks, though.

On 5/27/2020 at 6:21 AM, HiveBro said:

In the case of the nephilitic eden biome, it's meant as another way to allow players to play with Nephila outside of upsetting the Nephila faction and/or using one of the custom starts, so having wild pawns/prisoners join the colony as Nephila is working as intended. Let me know as you play if it seems to be dragging down gameplay/etc., though, it will definitely help me to balance things.

I wouldn't say it's "dragging down" exactly, but I've found that herbivores will multiply out of control if I don't have my colonists kill them regularly. The problem is that almost all predators are cherubim/seraphim, but those aren't really up to taking on the larger herbivores, so they end up getting killed off pretty quickly. What I've seen happen many times is that a seraphim will attack a muffalo (or similarly sized herbivore) and they'll both die, or a cherubim will do the same thing with pretty much anything larger than a rat.  I'd suggest significantly increasing their numbers, so that even if they and the herbivores keep killing each other off there will be enough of them to keep the populations in check.

I've seen very little of the diseases, and I've had bad luck on which ones I've gotten (one pawn with sensory mechanites, and some animal flu and plague). Since the biome has the mechanites that are supposedly causing the new diseases everywhere, I'd suggest increasing disease frequency to be closer to a jungle.

Hmm. Alright, I'll see about increasing the number of predators and diseases. Thanks for the heads up about the quest text. New quests is one of the big things I'd like to work on next, so hopefully I can resolve the issues you're seeing when I do so.

Edit: I've updated the git version of the mod should anyone want to use the tweaked biome.  Let me know if you run into any problems.

7 hours ago, genericlogin said:

In that case, how about having them start "randomly raping" instead of going berserk?

Unfortunately, the coding for that proved intractable. It was actually the first thing I tried to implement, but the attempt led me down a coding rabbithole where I ended up having to patch every aspect of combat in the core game (and I still didn't get it to work). There might be a way to implement that idea more efficiently, but I'm afraid I haven't figured it out, yet. 

On 5/31/2020 at 2:38 AM, HiveBro said:

The concept is that enemies go "mad" with lust. Could probably be better named for clarity, though. Maybe "nanite lust madness"?

On 5/31/2020 at 9:44 AM, genericlogin said:

In that case, how about having them start "randomly raping" instead of going berserk?

18 hours ago, HiveBro said:

Unfortunately, the coding for that proved intractable. It was actually the first thing I tried to implement, but the attempt led me down a coding rabbithole where I ended up having to patch every aspect of combat in the core game (and I still didn't get it to work). There might be a way to implement that idea more efficiently, but I'm afraid I haven't figured it out, yet. 

Wouldn't it be better to let the mod which adds lust to the game regulate the consequences of what is going happen with a pawn who's experiencing the effects?

Perhaps if the not only lust is increased but also the pawn becomes hostile to all the factions involved (perhaps adding the pawn to a faction hostile to all other factions), even its (former) own?

If it is possible the RJW rules of raping the enemy will apply disabling the need to code that aspect.

I've noticed that one of the changes to the Nephila is that they all have "towering tentacles," which impose a -50% movement penalty. If this is something they're all going to have, why not either remove the penalty and reduce their base speed from one quarter normal to one eighth normal, or else increase their base speed and leave the penalty?

Some general thoughts on some of the new Nephila equipment:

The plate armor is incredibly good. It's basically power armor without the technology requirements and resource cost. If anything, it may be a little too good.

The weapons are just the opposite, though. The basic lance (melee) is a terrible weapon, inferior in every way to a longsword. The carved lance (ranged) might be okay if you got it earlier, but as it is you unlock it at the same time as you get the charge lance and charge rifle, both of which have much better range. The pawn I had testing it got of one shot in several battles before I gave up on it and built him a charge rifle instead.

The seraph statue is surprisingly effective. Not as a turret--it's just as useless as the guardian version there. Where it excels is keeping enemies tied up beating on it, because the granite version has over 2000 hit points. I'd built one outside one of the two entrances to my base, and it actually saved me when I got hit by simultaneous mechanoid and tribal raids due to a poorly timed quest. The entire mechanoid force, about a half-dozen each lancers, scythers, and centipedes pounded on that statue for ages while my colonists dealt with the pirates coming from the other direction.

The supportive auras take way, way too long to make. So long that the nephila you were making one for will have ascended to the next stage long before you finish building one. After finally finishing the maiden aura, I gave it to a new nephila, and she got a few weeks out of it before she ascended too (destroying the aura in the process :-/), but it really didn't seem like it was worth the incredible amount of work put into it.

The lights and egg host are nice touches that add to the feel of the colony. It would be nice if the wall sconce gave off more light, though.

Have you given any thought to adapting the new anima tree that was addded for tribal psycasters? Given the whole "garden" thing the Nephila have going, I think it would fit nicely to make a new kind of tree that can grow inside a base can only be used by Nephila. Maybe only on their biome as well.

* The pool of colors is actually getting a minor rework for the next update. I've made it cost resources and Archina did some really great art for it!
Picture: 

Spoiler

20200603102511_1.jpg.766e364d4b236e0de987d73cd1f2698b.jpg

* Having an attack that just increased lust was also tried. The invading pawns never seemed to act on it, unfortunately. As I said, it's proven difficult to implement in the way you describe.
* I'll ask Abraxis about the towering tentacles bit, since it's something applied by the race mod. The additional -50% certainly does seem excessive. For now, consider manually changing the size of the body parts with dev tools (you can do so using the "add hediff" option)
* For the armor, I'll keep your feedback in mind. Definitely needs more balance passes (if I can ever manage to get a test save passed a quadrum or two before making a colony collapse from my sheer ineptitude >.>)
* The value of the carved lance ought to come from transforming enemy pawns into (admittedly combat-useless) friendly pawns. Is the lance not doing that for you? It can take a few shots, but should (and has in testing) function similar to Nephila Queen's Guard attacks. I'll consider increasing the range, though I'm a bit leery given how powerful an effect instant recruitment of new pawns, removal of old enemy pawns, and introduction of new potential bodies for enemies to get into combat with can be.
* I think you're right about the auras, on consideration. I've made it so the armor requires only a heart core to make and heart core recipes for maidens/handmaidens/matrons generate two cores instead of one in the next update. Hopefully that makes it a bit easier to make use of armors. I'm aware of the destroyed equipment problem. I've tried in the past figuring out how to set it up so that gear is dropped on transformation, but haven't managed it yet. Pretty sure I can get it working eventually, since I've managed to get nephila to drop held items on transforming, but not working yet.
* I'll tweak the wall light radius up a tad. Let me know if it seems sufficient. 
* I... had not considered the idea of an anima tree equivalent. I like that idea, though. Hmm. I'll have to look at how the tree has been coded. 

As before, most changes to my mod are available for trying out in the git version almost as soon as they happen. Once I have a few more substantial additions and have had time to test things out, I'll make new versions for Lover's Lab and Google Docs as well. 

Edit: Ah, and Mortmenir, try downloading using the green button or download the git version available at https://gitgud.io/HiveBro/nephila-rjw if you want the most recent (and least stable) version of the mod.

3 hours ago, HiveBro said:

* The value of the carved lance ought to come from transforming enemy pawns into (admittedly combat-useless) friendly pawns. Is the lance not doing that for you? It can take a few shots, but should (and has in testing) function similar to Nephila Queen's Guard attacks. I'll consider increasing the range, though I'm a bit leery given how powerful an effect instant recruitment of new pawns, removal of old enemy pawns, and introduction of new potential bodies for enemies to get into combat with can be.

I've never seen that happen, but in the several battles I used it, the enemies were normally killed by many much longer ranged weapons (and spells, since I'm also using Rimworld of Magic) before they ever got close enough for the carved lance. The pawn who had it only got to fire it once, and missed.

Oh, and a new bug: it's impossible to install a nephila mechanite inhibitor in a nephila. I just get "need material," even though I have everything I need. I know they used to naturally appear in nephila sometimes, although I haven't seen that happen for my current two.

Huh, yeah, that's a doozy of a bug. I'll see if I can replicate the error then post again either with a fix or a request for more details.

Edit: All recipes work on my end. Please provide a hugslog so we can determine if your issue might be related to a mod compatibility issue of some form. 

Also:

Spoiler

20200605132128_1.jpg.3551b69d59be87a83da910e1685c8901.jpg

Archina contributed north/east/west angles for Nephila Grand Matrons. They might also work over the south view a bit so it all looks slightly more coherent. The changes have been uploaded to the git version of the mod. Hope folks enjoy them!

Hmm. Seems your game's having issues registering hediffs for some reason. You have a pretty low mod count, so I'm surprised you're running into issues. That said, the first thing we can do is strip out the mods you don't need  (for the purposes of getting Nephila working) and re-adding them one by one until you run into the issue again.

1.) Remove Prepare Carefully, Reunion, Milkable Colonists, Children and Pregnancy, More Traits Slots, Rim of Magic, Royalty Tweaks, Character Editor, Dragonians, Embrasures
2.) Test in a new save whether the error recurs (use dev tools and god mode to make this easier)

3a.) If it's still happening, try re-downloading the Nephila Mod cause something must have gotten corrupted. The Git version of the mod is the least stable, but it might help for testing since it is the most similar to the version I am running at any given time.
3b.) If it does not occur, add back half of the removed mods, ensuring they stay in the same general position relative to the Nephila mod.

4.) Remove and add mods, generally sticking to halving the number of extraneous mods in whatever list doesn't work, until you find the one mod is the culprit, then let me know which mod it is. You can also try moving whatever mod is the culprit either before or after the Nephila mod, depending on which relative position it is already in.

Also, for folks: I have updated the new version of the mod on Git with a unique event/animal. Essentially, a nephila dust storm rolls onto a map and, with it, a mutated Nephila Cherub. The storm inflicts nephila sickness (very slowly) to pawns that are outside but will go away after 3-5 days. The cherub will stick around until killed and lay eggs that hatch into slightly smaller (but still larger than average) cherubs which (at a slower rate) lay eggs that hatch into regular cherubs. The mega cherub is extremely hardy but also very slow and easy enough to take down at range, so long as your pawns are willing to go out in the dust storm to kill it...

The event is currently triggerable at any point in a colony's lifespan, for testing purposes, but I'm going to eventually set it as something you can only encounter after a quadrum or two, that way your colonists have time to set up a base to retreat into.