Fallout 4 Beginner's Guide - A Mod List to Get You Started (V0.5 - beta)

On 11/1/2020 at 5:42 PM, chinbotsu said:

Thank you very much for this guide @asebw . As someone who has very minimal experience with modding I found this extremely helpful.

Thanks

On 10/30/2020 at 6:42 PM, cloudmc said:

In the list, it's listed on the same line as another;

Vioxsis' Strap-On's of Fallout 4Advanced Animation Framework (AAF)

Should be 

Vioxsis' Strap-On's of Fallout 4

Advanced Animation Framework (AAF)

OR

Advanced Animation Framework (AAF)

Vioxsis' Strap-On's of Fallout 4

(Not sure on the order)

Could have sworn I had fixed that before I had to go MIA. Regardless, should be fixed for good now.

On 9/30/2020 at 2:38 PM, hththt666777 said:

Thanks a lot.

2 questions, with all those mods, isnt there a limit like 255 as with skyrim?

and can i use MO1 wich manages my skyrim too or should i definitely use MO2?

As far as I know, MO1 is dead. If you want to try and use it, you are on your own, but honestly, I would skip MO1 and go straight to MO2 for FO4.

The game has a hard limit of 255 ESPs and ESMs loaded before things start to go haywire. That does not mean just 255 mods. A number of texture mods for example, do not have esms or esps, so they do not count towards the limit. Likewise, esls and esps flagged as esls do not count towards the 255 limit because ESLs have their own expanded memory location seperate from the one ESPs and ESMs use. Skyrim SE has the same constraints as fallout 4, not sure about Skyrim LE. It still gives you a lot of wiggle room, though I have yet to add those sections.

On 9/22/2020 at 10:06 PM, ducatiashe said:

ASEBW 

I wanted to write this just to say thank you for making this Mod Guide. When I was playing Fallout 4 last time two years ago I had to wing it myself and the sub entries and dependencies always wound up making issues. It was like I was back in my University Philosophy Structural Logic classes or like the GRE problems where its "this person likes this person but hates to sit near people who like fish so they cant sit next to the dog face boy" problems. I was looking for a better rundown on what order I could install LoversLab mods to make the post apocalyptic world a bit more realistic in that there is always sex for sale and someone that is manipulating someone in the grand anthropology dynamic of a civilization on the knifes edge of collapsing entirely. Sorry I have multiple degrees in pretty much useless things so.

But I am installing this guide now in Covid Lockdown still in Honolulu and just wondered if for installs we just follow the install directions on the mod on Nexus or ?

Last question is many of these mods have multiple possible versions I.E. DLC versions, ESP ESL versions only, Loose File versions. I assume looking and reading through the guide and responses all the way through I am not missing anything and if there is a specific version you mention it.

Thank you once again and excellent guide. 

Damn I need to change my picture thats 18 months old LOL

Cheers. 

@ducatiashe

We all have to start somewhere. Hopefully this guide, once it is completed, will help ppl start a lil faster than I did. 

On 9/20/2020 at 7:56 PM, Nealend86 said:

Great guide but a few things strike me as a bit redundant. Better Companions has unlimited ammo built into it so I'm not sure why you have both it and Companion Infinite Ammo on the same list? It's the same with Cleaner and Dirtier soups and PurifiedWaterSoup.

@Nealend86

Infinite ammo was still in the list because the better companions infinite ammo was giving me issues. Not sure if it was B.C. itself or one of the mods I was testing at the time. There was also an Companion Ivy issue that I have since resolved too.

The two soup mods are left overs from Aylis' old list. I haven't gotten around to seeing which of the two are better yet, though that one along with a few others are going to get pushed up to the front of the queue in order to look at paring down the list.

On 9/13/2020 at 12:11 PM, Drbigt said:

@Drbigt

I actually have all those mods, and played them to some degree (except for depravity). However, for the purpose of this list, they kinda stray from the objective. However, They're all probably going to get added to section #5 down the road. 

• 1 month later...

asebw thank you so much for putting this together. The time is worth the work to put this stuff together. The official HD DLC was meh, but these mods are detailed and are really going to help bring some umf to this game. I know you have mentioned to read mod descriptions but I wanted to point this out to anyone else that might be 5 years late and playing Fallout 4 for the first time.

Spoiler

PCmodList.thumb.JPG.42ce7ad6df8cf94a547b65947941407b.JPG

In the PC section of the mods, if you choose Radiation Queen - Fusion Girl - CBBE - Skin Textures for realistic skin textures please make sure to use Natural 2K Face Textures & Natural 2K Face Textures and install it before the skin textures mod. It's a requirement. It's listed in the description but the description has a lot of reading and is easily missed (at least for me it was because I'm lazy sometimes, ok I'm lazy all the times :P).

Running around the world and I noticed the boobs and butt aren't as...bouncy...as I was expecting. I'm still researching physics and physics mods for this game but I'm wondering if anyone would know if this is adjustable?

asebw thank you thank you :)

update: I figured out my physics problem, I wasn't running F4SE from Mod Organizer. Once I ran that and started the game the physics stuff started to work. I am so stupid.

For beginners on Fallout 4 mods I'm using MTM CBP Physics Preset mod. It has multiple options allowing to you go from rigid - natural - bouncy. And there's also stuff in between each section which is cool.

asebw thank you so much for putting this together. The time is worth the work to put this stuff together. The official HD DLC was meh, but these mods are detailed and are really going to help bring some umf to this game. I know you have mentioned to read mod descriptions but I wanted to point this out to anyone else that might be 5 years late and playing Fallout 4 for the first time.

In the PC section of the mods, if you choose Radiation Queen - Fusion Girl - CBBE - Skin Textures for realistic skin textures please make sure to use Natural 2K Face Textures & Natural 2K Face Textures and install it before the skin textures mod. It's a requirement. It's listed in the description but the description has a lot of reading and is easily missed (at least for me it was because I'm lazy sometimes, ok I'm lazy all the times :P).

Running around the world and I noticed the boobs and butt aren't as...bouncy...as I was expecting. I'm still researching physics and physics mods for this game but I'm wondering if anyone would know if this is adjustable?

asebw thank you thank you :)

update: I figured out my physics problem, I wasn't running F4SE from Mod Organizer. Once I ran that and started the game the physics stuff started to work. I am so stupid.

For beginners on Fallout 4 mods I'm using MTM CBP Physics Preset mod. It has multiple options allowing to you go from rigid - natural - bouncy. And there's also stuff in between each section which is cool.

Thanks. Radiation queen is actually getting removed in the next update (Hopefully next week). The reason its pre-reqs are not up was because I was waffling on the skin. However, since the changes to fusion girl, It proved to be meh.

Yeah, because MO2 uses a virtual data folder that it compiles itself, you need to run not just the game, but all of the tools through MO2 in order for them to see your installed mods. I touched on that briefly, going to be adding more to it either this update or the next. Hopefully this since my little part of the world will be going back down into lockdown after crhistmas (Thank you idiot, wanna be mayor of Toronto).

What you are describing is actually on the description page for the CBP presets. Hence why you need to read mod page descriptions.

• 2 weeks later...

Update #5 - 2021-01-03

Welp, i'm not dead yet), and neither is this list. New year, new update, and it's going to be a bit of a big one. Not just in the mods being added/removed, but also adding a bunch of other text to the other sections. 

The biggest thing to note, is the inclusion of the Crafting Framework and the Armor and Clothing overhaul. I will go into it in more detail in section section #4, but basically, this will be the basis for a non-awkcr build which has been working surprisingly well with little modification to the list overall. I don't know how much of a performance boost it gives to the game, but it does get rid of some of the more annoying aspects of AWKCR and AE that I can live without (stencils). Crafting Framework also comes with ammo crafting built in, which is another bonus.

(Warning!) As some might have noticed by now, Fusion Girl went through some tumultuous changed earlier this year. While it seems to be getting better, the old FG clothing and armor sliders now result in clipping with the FG body. Furthermore, there also seems to be some additional changes between 1.6 and 1.8. The bodyslide files that come with the FG install for the vanilla armor also seem to be a bit wonky, but I'm still in the process of playing around with those. All that being said, FG is still good to go, you just might need to do a little extra tweaking while in bodyslide.

(Update) Unfortunately, the xLODGen stuff I was going to put up this update needs more work. Things are not going quite as expected, and I need more time to figure out how to get this to look pretty. For now, just ignore anything related to lods until the next update. 

Removed

Textures

APC HD

Chain Link Fence HD

Sandbags HD

Sideway Bricks 4k 2k                                                              All now packaged in luxor's AIO Pt 5.                                                                                                 

Airplane 4k

Fusion Flea HD

Bus Stop HD

PC

Radiation Queen - Fusion Girl - CBBE - Skin Textures          better options available

NPC and Creatures

Real Name Settlers                                                               Changes the names of some NPCs that should be changed

Physics and Animation

ZCBP - CBP Configs for ZeX Bodies (BT2 - Fusion Girl)        Discontinued. Functionality has been added to MTM CBP physics Preset

Armor and Clothing

Fusion Girl Vanilla Outfits                                                     Now packaged with Fusion Girl

Handmade Post-apocalypse Hazmat Suit                            Section #5ed

Sound

Lost Audio Weaks - Faded glory Patch                                Now integrated into the latest version of Lost Audio Tweaks

Override

Companion Infinite Ammo                                                  Functionality now added to better companions - all in one

World

Immersive and Extended Lexington                                   Few too many issues to deal with

Maxwell's World                                                                 Not longer fits into the list. Moved to section#5

Patches and Fixes

NeuraLOD - Higher detail LOD                                          We will be making our own LODs now

PurifiedWaterSoup                                                            Redundant

Weapons

Worn But Cared For10mm Pistol Retex                                                        Keeps coming out far darker than it should be

Post-apocalyptic homemade weapons. Replacer (Laser Musket)                Both have issues with some of the other mods in the list

Post Apocalyptic homemade weapons. Replacer (Pipe Guns)

Added

Pre-Installation

XLODGen                                                                                                                 

Foundation

Crafting Framework                                                              Alternative to AWKCR

Armor and Clothing Overhaul                                              Alternative to Armorsmith Extended

luxor8071's HD texture Pack AIO Pt 5       

FO4 Revisions (FO4R)

UI

Fall UI

Fall UI - Prepared Item Sorter Mod Package                      Very nice update to the UI

PC

Fusion Girl 8k Skin texture                                                 Already included in the Fusion Girl isntallation. 

(CBBE) 

Override

Classic Radiation Poisoning 2                                           Gets rid of that annoying hp reduction mechanic

Wet Effects

Patches and Fixes

Address Library for F4SE Plugins

Baka Scrapheap - Script Memory Limit Expander            Good for improving performance of the base game and any mod that is script heavy

Armor - Override

Classic Holstered Weapon System (CHW)                       Wear those weapons with pride!

Weapons

Nina's Proper Pipe Guns Replacer

Final

FO4LORDGen Resources

Misc

Lots of text updates

Currently Testing

AWKCR + Armor and Clothing Overhaul

The Sewers

The Bleachers - A Diamond City Story

N.E.S.T. Survival Bunkers v1.5

Known Issues

The Sanctuary Quest: Having issues with Sturges not wanting to go past the water stage in the Sanctuary quest. Unfortunately, I have yet to pin down what is causing the issue, or is this is just an isolate one. If anyone else runs into this issue, please do let me know. 

Old Issues Resolved

Immersive and Extended Lexington: This was an interesting mod, but aside from the wall issue, it was modifying buildings that were already being touched on by beantown interiors. Along with its other issues, it has been ultimately dropped from the list.

Food and Recovery Items not Working in Survival Mode: Unless some new data comes in pointing towards a culprit, this one is officially closed. As far as I can tell, the issues with food and recovery items not working is random. It seems to occur (More rarely now), when the game has load issues going between the outside world and interior cells. Since i've yet to have anyone else report the issue, this one is getting put to bed.

On 1/4/2021 at 10:53 PM, Hitom said:

Great list. Used this as a basis and have been tweaking it to my own taste. Never modded F4 before so this saved me a ton of time. 

Thanks. That is precisely the purpose of this list: A starting point, and a bunch of useful information to help you keep going (once I get it all written down><)

On 1/9/2021 at 10:51 AM, Hitom said:

You should get rid of achivements mod btw, since it's allready included in buffout 4

That would require me adding buffout 4 to the mod list, which I have not yet done. I did try an earlier version of buffout 4, but it was working wonky for me, so I put it aside for a few versions while I worked on other stuff. Once I'm done with the lod testing, I will give buffout 4 another try in more detail. If you are using buffout 4 in your own list, just disable and/or remove the acheivements mod. 

I do like where buffout 4 is going. At the very least, it creates a more reliable log then papyrus, but, I need to make sure it works consistently with the list before I can add it, and I just have not yet had the chance to do that testing yet.

13 hours ago, asebw said:

That would require me adding buffout 4 to the mod list, which I have not yet done. I did try an earlier version of buffout 4, but it was working wonky for me, so I put it aside for a few versions while I worked on other stuff. Once I'm done with the lod testing, I will give buffout 4 another try in more detail. If you are using buffout 4 in your own list, just disable and/or remove the acheivements mod. 

I do like where buffout 4 is going. At the very least, it creates a more reliable log then papyrus, but, I need to make sure it works consistently with the list before I can add it, and I just have not yet had the chance to do that testing yet.

Shit, sorry my bad, thought I read that you added it to the list lol my bad. Buffout 4 is pretty much foundation mod now though I think. 

6 hours ago, Hitom said:

Shit, sorry my bad, thought I read that you added it to the list lol my bad. Buffout 4 is pretty much foundation mod now though I think. 

S'aright, it happens. Yeah, it probably will be, but like I said, it still needs to go through testing first. 

• 3 weeks later...

First time playing with mods. Followed your guide to a T and it's been good for the most part. One thing though. The Beantown Interiors mod causes major disappearing textures issues for me in the Easy City Downs area. Wasn't an issue until then but I had to disable it at that point because it made the game unplayable. Just a heads up.

On 1/28/2021 at 12:41 AM, season6 said:

First time playing with mods. Followed your guide to a T and it's been good for the most part. One thing though. The Beantown Interiors mod causes major disappearing textures issues for me in the Easy City Downs area. Wasn't an issue until then but I had to disable it at that point because it made the game unplayable. Just a heads up.

Odd, haven't had any issues there of late. Will have to go back and check. For my testing purposes, are you playing with any mods not in the list?

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm looking at this mod list and it's as accurate as Aylis's for Skyrim Se which has given me great satisfaction.
I've always run Skyrim from MO2 but FO4 from Vortex and the experience is easy at first, headaches later. So I want to switch to MO2.
Questions:
1. my computer is an i7 7700 (quadcore), 16GB RAM and GTX 1050Ti 4GB, so from Skyrim SE experience I skipped LODs, textures and large parts of the foundation to have acceptable FPS. Can I do the same here without compromising the functioning of the mod list? (obviously those mods I skip will result in others skipping, I know)
2. If I wanted to insert Thuggyverse mods (Project Valkyrie, Depravity, Fusion City etc) that you haven't considered, where could they be inserted? Crime and Punishment would be the most critical and I've never used it, the others are great.
3. The part of LL, the AFF guide Saya Scarlett is the Bible. Have you ever tried JB which allows you to capture NPCs, Rad Morphing Redux + Combat Strip Lite and if you wanted to put them where they could be inserted?
4. Various mods that I don't see in the list: Better Location Damage (used to reduce the exp received from missions, after lvl 50 everything becomes easy), Place Everywhere and / or Scrap Everything and above all Homemaker. Don't you do they like them or cause problems?

I ask you what positions they can take precisely because I don't want to use LOOT which does Vortex-like spells. I hope I was clear why English is not my native language and it shows. :)

On 3/15/2021 at 11:14 AM, PariahOh said:

Hi, I'm looking at this mod list and it's as accurate as Aylis's for Skyrim Se which has given me great satisfaction.
I've always run Skyrim from MO2 but FO4 from Vortex and the experience is easy at first, headaches later. So I want to switch to MO2.
Questions:
1. my computer is an i7 7700 (quadcore), 16GB RAM and GTX 1050Ti 4GB, so from Skyrim SE experience I skipped LODs, textures and large parts of the foundation to have acceptable FPS. Can I do the same here without compromising the functioning of the mod list? (obviously those mods I skip will result in others skipping, I know)
2. If I wanted to insert Thuggyverse mods (Project Valkyrie, Depravity, Fusion City etc) that you haven't considered, where could they be inserted? Crime and Punishment would be the most critical and I've never used it, the others are great.
3. The part of LL, the AFF guide Saya Scarlett is the Bible. Have you ever tried JB which allows you to capture NPCs, Rad Morphing Redux + Combat Strip Lite and if you wanted to put them where they could be inserted?
4. Various mods that I don't see in the list: Better Location Damage (used to reduce the exp received from missions, after lvl 50 everything becomes easy), Place Everywhere and / or Scrap Everything and above all Homemaker. Don't you do they like them or cause problems?

I ask you what positions they can take precisely because I don't want to use LOOT which does Vortex-like spells. I hope I was clear why English is not my native language and it shows. :)

Yeah, this mod list started as a continuation of Aylis's FO4 mod list back when she was MIA, and kind of morphed into its own separate list. The reason why you do not see most of the mods you mention on the list, is because this list is designed to enhance the basic fallout 4 experience, while leaving enough room for people to customize their game further based on their game/role play styles (and/or kink depending on how far down the LL rabbit hole you go). Most of the mods you mentioned are either already, or going to be, in section #5 of the list at some point. But, to answer your questions:

1. I run a AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6 core with 32 gb of ram, and a GTX 1070. Just the list as is runs pretty well without too many hiccups (some load lag in areas with lots of npcs, but nothing to worry about). 

- LODs, are not as developed for FO4 as they are in skyrim. I am trying to add them, but I may have to scrap them, cause they are not giving me consistent good looks depending on which texture mods you use. So for now, you can just ignore LODs until I get that mess sorted out. 

- If textures are a problem, try to stick to mostly 2k stuff when you can. If you are having problems running the base game as is, try disabling the textures in the foundation section of the mod to see if that helps. 

- Scripts can cause fps loss if there are a lot of them running. Trying to offset that with buffout 4/ BAKA scrap heap (still testing), but generally be careful with scriptheavy mods. Crime and Punishment is one such mod.

2. I have played most of the thuggyverse mods to some extent (Will hopefully go back and finish them one day). Those would go at the bottom of the World section of the list. C&P would go at the bottom of Override. Just a reminder, each section has a little blurb under the title that will tell you what type of mods to put in that section. 

3. I tried one of the earlier versions of JB and found it lacking, due to it being an earlier version. Going to go back and try it again down the road once it's been further developed. Most LL mods can go in the LL section the general order of the LL section is something like this. 

AAF and it's requirements

animation packs

poses (ONLY if you actually use them)

Patches for AAF

Mods that alter existing gameplay and/or assets (textures, sounds, patches, penis addons, etc)

Clothing and Armor and/or Devious devices.

Mods that add new gameplay mechanics (JB, Sex Attributes, Sexual Harrasment, etc)

adventure mods

JB would go near the bottom, along with combat strip lite. Rad Morphing Redux is a little tricky cause it's packed with a Four-play library that needs to be overriden by AAF or problems will occur. If overriding is a problem, I would put it in the override section, or above AAF in the LL section of the list. 

4. I am not a fan of BLD because some of the changes it makes to weapons and combat I do not fundamentally agree with. It also doesn't work well with some of the other mods I play with, including a few weapon mods that may or may not have been patched since the last time I tried BLD. I use other mods to make my survival+ game hard. 

- BLD should go in the Override section, but depending on which of the modules you use, you may have to move the esps around in the list depending on what you do/don't want overriden. 

- Place Everywhere and Scrap Everything is in the list in the Override section.

- Homemaker has been added to section #5. It would go in the building section of the list. Only useful if you actually like to build settlements without Sim Settlements, which is why it is not in the base list. 

On 3/17/2021 at 6:56 PM, asebw said:

Yeah, this mod list started as a continuation of Aylis's FO4 mod list back when she was MIA, and kind of morphed into its own separate list. The reason why you do not see most of the mods you mention on the list, is because this list is designed to enhance the basic fallout 4 experience, while leaving enough room for people to customize their game further based on their game/role play styles (and/or kink depending on how far down the LL rabbit hole you go). Most of the mods you mentioned are either already, or going to be, in section #5 of the list at some point. But, to answer your questions:

1. I run a AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6 core with 32 gb of ram, and a GTX 1070. Just the list as is runs pretty well without too many hiccups (some load lag in areas with lots of npcs, but nothing to worry about). 

- LODs, are not as developed for FO4 as they are in skyrim. I am trying to add them, but I may have to scrap them, cause they are not giving me consistent good looks depending on which texture mods you use. So for now, you can just ignore LODs until I get that mess sorted out. 

- If textures are a problem, try to stick to mostly 2k stuff when you can. If you are having problems running the base game as is, try disabling the textures in the foundation section of the mod to see if that helps. 

- Scripts can cause fps loss if there are a lot of them running. Trying to offset that with buffout 4/ BAKA scrap heap (still testing), but generally be careful with scriptheavy mods. Crime and Punishment is one such mod.

2. I have played most of the thuggyverse mods to some extent (Will hopefully go back and finish them one day). Those would go at the bottom of the World section of the list. C&P would go at the bottom of Override. Just a reminder, each section has a little blurb under the title that will tell you what type of mods to put in that section. 

3. I tried one of the earlier versions of JB and found it lacking, due to it being an earlier version. Going to go back and try it again down the road once it's been further developed. Most LL mods can go in the LL section the general order of the LL section is something like this. 

AAF and it's requirements

animation packs

poses (ONLY if you actually use them)

Patches for AAF

Mods that alter existing gameplay and/or assets (textures, sounds, patches, penis addons, etc)

Clothing and Armor and/or Devious devices.

Mods that add new gameplay mechanics (JB, Sex Attributes, Sexual Harrasment, etc)

adventure mods

JB would go near the bottom, along with combat strip lite. Rad Morphing Redux is a little tricky cause it's packed with a Four-play library that needs to be overriden by AAF or problems will occur. If overriding is a problem, I would put it in the override section, or above AAF in the LL section of the list. 

4. I am not a fan of BLD because some of the changes it makes to weapons and combat I do not fundamentally agree with. It also doesn't work well with some of the other mods I play with, including a few weapon mods that may or may not have been patched since the last time I tried BLD. I use other mods to make my survival+ game hard. 

- BLD should go in the Override section, but depending on which of the modules you use, you may have to move the esps around in the list depending on what you do/don't want overriden. 

- Place Everywhere and Scrap Everything is in the list in the Override section.

- Homemaker has been added to section #5. It would go in the building section of the list. Only useful if you actually like to build settlements without Sim Settlements, which is why it is not in the base list. 

1. Yes, those 4GB VRAM that I miss make a great difference. Water, grass, trees will be discarded, the rest I try and verify.
2. I have finished them 3 times I could also do without them and insert all those internal places that you suggest.
3. Yes, AAF has to overwrite RMR, Vortex reports the conflict and just create the rule, with MO2 I will do as you say, maybe I could let you know in the future if it works.
4. Place everywhere and Scrap everything I had not seen them, I'm blind, sorry.
Of BLD I would only need the functionality of limiting the XP received from the game, I do not want to grow quickly, to eliminate the XP from constructions I found a mod "No crafting experience" while for the missions and kills none, do you know something? It will definitely all go into the Override section.

Unique Player and Follower Redux I hope it works with AAF because Saya has always warned of problems, now the AAF FOMOD recognizes the installation of the normal version while the Redux is not recognized (already tried in the past). We'll see..

Last thing, I followed the guide of BiRaitBec which installed both AWKCR + AE and then CF without selecting anything from the FOMOD, I think to have both functions especially of the universal workbench. It is actually redundant and adds Legendary mods of two different trees, perhaps you have excluded them because they create dangerous overlaps.

Buffout4 sometimes works, sometimes it stops reporting CTDs

Thanks for the good work you have done.

22 hours ago, PariahOh said:

1. Yes, those 4GB VRAM that I miss make a great difference. Water, grass, trees will be discarded, the rest I try and verify.
2. I have finished them 3 times I could also do without them and insert all those internal places that you suggest.
3. Yes, AAF has to overwrite RMR, Vortex reports the conflict and just create the rule, with MO2 I will do as you say, maybe I could let you know in the future if it works.
4. Place everywhere and Scrap everything I had not seen them, I'm blind, sorry.
Of BLD I would only need the functionality of limiting the XP received from the game, I do not want to grow quickly, to eliminate the XP from constructions I found a mod "No crafting experience" while for the missions and kills none, do you know something? It will definitely all go into the Override section.

Unique Player and Follower Redux I hope it works with AAF because Saya has always warned of problems, now the AAF FOMOD recognizes the installation of the normal version while the Redux is not recognized (already tried in the past). We'll see..

Last thing, I followed the guide of BiRaitBec which installed both AWKCR + AE and then CF without selecting anything from the FOMOD, I think to have both functions especially of the universal workbench. It is actually redundant and adds Legendary mods of two different trees, perhaps you have excluded them because they create dangerous overlaps.

Buffout4 sometimes works, sometimes it stops reporting CTDs

Thanks for the good work you have done.

4. S'aright, it happens.

- Unique Redux does actually work with AAF. I have been using the two in combination for years, and it has not given me any noticeable issues. I am hoping Saya will correct that part in a future update. 

- Haven't really looked for one of those. The games I play require leveling ><. Quick search of the nexus though came up with this one: More Or Less XP. It does quests crafting and lockpicking, so that might be something you can use. 

- AWKCR and CF are, complicated. AWKCR and AE have a lot of bloat to them, so much so that they can cause the game to lag. AE is actually the worse of the two from my testing. CF and Armor and Clothing Overhaul do the same thing but in a much lighter package, but the trade off is you lose some mods that have AWKCR and AE as a requirement. I'm currently testing some combinations of the 4, including a new clean up mod of AWKCR that recently came out. For now, I specify in the mod list to use either AWKCR + AE OR CF + ACO.

- Buffout4 is a little annoying. You need to have the very latest C++ redistributable installed for it to work well. If it stops crash reporting, your C++ probably needs to be updated. 

I finished all the installs of your mod list and with the addition of the extra mods I came up with 208 plugins.
Now FO4 is really another world, the textures of the world and armor are fantastic, the performance acceptable for me, 35 fps minimum outside and 45 inside, it's not the fixed 60 of SSE but considering that I also installed an ENB mi satisfied. I chose Decent ENB.
Thanks for the tips and great work.

Some considerations:
1. Cait Fidelity has master MiscHair.esp (No problem, maybe add it to the list)
2. M1928A1 Thompson is overwritten by TD 1.9 and vice versa depending on the load order (I wonder why, when in doubt I have omitted the Thompson)
3. Def_ui + Icon lib and AAF send in CTD when I open the perk section from pipboy (a problem I faced a year ago and forgot about). The solution to not lose FallUi is to modify the DEF_INV.xml. I solved this because I don't live without AAF, how did you do it?
4. To install all the animations of AAF you cannot escape from Buffout unfortunately so I discard Achievements.

I cannot get the full functionality of AE, legendary mod and color swap and SimSettlements sends a message that the holotape has been uninstalled and I will not be able to create some things. On the first groping in the dark, on the second I followed the description of the Simple Sorter page, in the sticky posts it is recommended not to load Sim Settlements in FO4Edit to create the patch and so I did, maybe I did something wrong in that step?

17 hours ago, PariahOh said:

I finished all the installs of your mod list and with the addition of the extra mods I came up with 208 plugins.
Now FO4 is really another world, the textures of the world and armor are fantastic, the performance acceptable for me, 35 fps minimum outside and 45 inside, it's not the fixed 60 of SSE but considering that I also installed an ENB mi satisfied. I chose Decent ENB.
Thanks for the tips and great work.

Some considerations:
1. Cait Fidelity has master MiscHair.esp (No problem, maybe add it to the list)
2. M1928A1 Thompson is overwritten by TD 1.9 and vice versa depending on the load order (I wonder why, when in doubt I have omitted the Thompson)
3. Def_ui + Icon lib and AAF send in CTD when I open the perk section from pipboy (a problem I faced a year ago and forgot about). The solution to not lose FallUi is to modify the DEF_INV.xml. I solved this because I don't live without AAF, how did you do it?
4. To install all the animations of AAF you cannot escape from Buffout unfortunately so I discard Achievements.

I cannot get the full functionality of AE, legendary mod and color swap and SimSettlements sends a message that the holotape has been uninstalled and I will not be able to create some things. On the first groping in the dark, on the second I followed the description of the Simple Sorter page, in the sticky posts it is recommended not to load Sim Settlements in FO4Edit to create the patch and so I did, maybe I did something wrong in that step?

Good to hear.

1. Thank you for reminding me I need to maybe add that sucker, or find a different replacer.

2. What is TD 1.9? The only conflict Thompson has in the list is with the chinese assault rifle animation, and that is not an issue from what I have seen so far.

3. I have not had that issue in the past. The DefUI icon lib is only for use with rudy88's simple sorter. If you are using FallUI, you do not need the iconlib. I will need to add a note about that in the next update.

4. The list is currently not setup for buffout, and uses baka scrapheap instead. Scrapheap will be replaced by Buffout in the next update (was still trying to get buffout to work at the time of the last update). That is why the achievements mod is still present in the list. 

5. You do not use simple sorter and fallUI at the same time. Both are sorting mods. Either use fallui or simple sort (will make this more clearer in the next update if I end up keeping simple sorter). 

6. Are you using just AWKCR and AE, or is CF in the mix as well? If you want to use CF with those two, you will need a patch if memory serves. Never used the color swap, would prefer it to be gone actually. Legendary mod and Crafting Framework clash. Disable legendary mod if using crafting framework.

7. I have not tested simple sorter with either sim settlement mods yet. TBH, I am probably going to remove simple sorter from the list and just stick with the FallUI sorter mod since that one is much easier to use and setup. 

3 hours ago, asebw said:

Good to hear.

1. Thank you for reminding me I need to maybe add that sucker, or find a different replacer.

2. What is TD 1.9? The only conflict Thompson has in the list is with the chinese assault rifle animation, and that is not an issue from what I have seen so far.

3. I have not had that issue in the past. The DefUI icon lib is only for use with rudy88's simple sorter. If you are using FallUI, you do not need the iconlib. I will need to add a note about that in the next update.

4. The list is currently not setup for buffout, and uses baka scrapheap instead. Scrapheap will be replaced by Buffout in the next update (was still trying to get buffout to work at the time of the last update). That is why the achievements mod is still present in the list. 

5. You do not use simple sorter and fallUI at the same time. Both are sorting mods. Either use fallui or simple sort (will make this more clearer in the next update if I end up keeping simple sorter). 

6. Are you using just AWKCR and AE, or is CF in the mix as well? If you want to use CF with those two, you will need a patch if memory serves. Never used the color swap, would prefer it to be gone actually. Legendary mod and Crafting Framework clash. Disable legendary mod if using crafting framework.

7. I have not tested simple sorter with either sim settlement mods yet. TBH, I am probably going to remove simple sorter from the list and just stick with the FallUI sorter mod since that one is much easier to use and setup. 

2. TortureDevices 1.9 Don't ask me why, I honestly didn't open FO4Edit, but they overwrote themselves

3, 5 and 7. In the Ui section there is FallUi and I installed it, FallUI has Def_Ui as a requirement. At the bottom of the guide in the Final section is Ruddy88's Simple Sorter and I ran it as specified on the mod page. As I understand it, it serves to patch the loading order of all icons and objects. I honestly believed it also had the WryeBash function for SSE. However, as I am at the beginning and I am experimenting, I can very well change what is wrong and start over.

4. The buffout issue is that it is given as a requirement of the Saya tutorial for UAP which patches a lot of AAF animations, so I install it for that, I don't know if another tool can replace it, I have to trust as I am ignorant on the matter.

6.  No, I followed to the letter so I chose only the AWKCR + AE pair, AE has its own system of legendary modifications which however is not present at the armor bench, I use the color swap to wear the armor (combat) made invisible so as to do not aesthetically spoil the view of the various VTAW, APAL, AngeliTech etc.
I've used both pairs in the past in combination but dropped it the moment I chose to follow this tutorial which is up to date and really great. Maybe AE unlocks those missing options through perk requirements that are not specified, for example MK 1,2 etc have hidden requirements and I'm just cheating myself.

I've put the plugins load order, if you want to check it out when you have time, so see what I've added to your modlist.

loadorder.txt

17 hours ago, PariahOh said:

2. TortureDevices 1.9 Don't ask me why, I honestly didn't open FO4Edit, but they overwrote themselves

3, 5 and 7. In the Ui section there is FallUi and I installed it, FallUI has Def_Ui as a requirement. At the bottom of the guide in the Final section is Ruddy88's Simple Sorter and I ran it as specified on the mod page. As I understand it, it serves to patch the loading order of all icons and objects. I honestly believed it also had the WryeBash function for SSE. However, as I am at the beginning and I am experimenting, I can very well change what is wrong and start over.

4. The buffout issue is that it is given as a requirement of the Saya tutorial for UAP which patches a lot of AAF animations, so I install it for that, I don't know if another tool can replace it, I have to trust as I am ignorant on the matter.

6.  No, I followed to the letter so I chose only the AWKCR + AE pair, AE has its own system of legendary modifications which however is not present at the armor bench, I use the color swap to wear the armor (combat) made invisible so as to do not aesthetically spoil the view of the various VTAW, APAL, AngeliTech etc.
I've used both pairs in the past in combination but dropped it the moment I chose to follow this tutorial which is up to date and really great. Maybe AE unlocks those missing options through perk requirements that are not specified, for example MK 1,2 etc have hidden requirements and I'm just cheating myself.

I've put the plugins load order, if you want to check it out when you have time, so see what I've added to your modlist.

loadorder.txt 5.63 kB · 0 downloads

2. Huh, haven't used torture devices in a long while. It's not part of the list so I have not tested it. Will give it a go later on if I get to it.

3. Was actually going to update my post on this one, but you answered first. I did have a CTD issue with perk window while testing the last update, but it wasn't tied to the iconlib that I could see. I am currently putting together the next build for testing, so I will keep an eye out for it again.

4. Again, this update was pre-buffout. At the time, it was not a requirement for anything. I know it has since become a hard requirement for UAP, but I don't recall when exactly that happened. 

6. Okay, first off, armorsmith DOES NOT have its own legendary modification system. It was made to work with another vis-g mod that dealt with legendary mods, but AE itself DOES NOT do anything with legendary modification. To do anything with Legendaries, you need another mod like legendary modification. Looking at your load order, who missed adding Legendary Modifications in the Override section. 

Of course, I was just reporting some problems with other mods not listed but which are generally used by the LL community.
Regarding point 6. you are right, I always thought it was AE instead I always played with the combination AWKCR / AE + CF + patch, I am a simple mod user after all.
For SimSettlement + SimpleSorter, the message I received was not related to the SimpleSorter patch phase, I just forgot to install SimSettlementMenu and Sim Settlement was sending me that message. Using SimpleSorter is a bit boring for FO4Edit's loading times, but all in all simple (to use, don't understand :) ) Sorry and thanks again.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for taking the time to put together this comprehensive, concise, and updated guide to modding Fallout 4!

I've been using it, with other mods, 170+ total, for well over a month.

The game is running very smoothly and efficiently.

I would highly recommend this guide to other beginners like me, who have been frustrated trying to get large load orders to play well together. I think the order of installation may be key here, because following this order seems to have cleared up some issues for me.

I read it slow, and followed it carefully. I'm really happy with the results!

• 4 weeks later...