Fallout 4 Beginner's Guide - A Mod List to Get You Started (V0.5 - beta)

3 hours ago, Twycross448 said:

@asebw

When installing additional mods on top of the ones from your guide (say, about 230 more mods ? ), would you generally suggest loading them *after* your guide or mix them in between? I know it is hard to say for such a huge number of mods, but as a ballpark estimate? Most of the mods are either Workshop related (adding stuff to craft) or gameplay additons or changes, like player housing, Unlimited Follower Framework, Servitrons, Transfer Settlements, Genetical Father etc.

You can either add them to the bottom, or add them to sections with similar ones. UFF is going back in the list next update and can be placed with final along with transfer settlement (debating adding that one back on). Servitron can go in NPC and Creatures beside Ivy, while genetical father can go in the same place below the companion mods. 

The mod list is fairly flexible, so you shouldn't have too much trouble adding your own stuff to it. As long as you can identify the section where the mod should go, you usually shouldn't have much trouble. The only exception to this would be mods that require a number of other requirements. Those will often end up at the bottom, while more standalone overhauls will often end up at the top. Going to add more detail on that in the other sections once I get close to finalizing the list.

@asebw

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. ?

One last question: Is the mod Boston FPS Fix aka BostonDT Previs-Precombine something one should add to the load list? Asking because I am unsure if the mod is considered outdated or not. (main mod download was last updated in june 2018)

EDIT:

Regarding the Fusion Girl body replacer. It was recently updated to version 1.61, but most of the clothing conversions for it you are linking are for older FG versions. You may wish to include a warning or note or whatever in your guide regarding this issue.

Quote from the FG support thread on the Nexus fora by user "TheBottomhoodofSteel" on june 14th, 2020:

Any previous clothing WILL NOT WORK WITH FG 1.61. This is intended and not a bug as the new version remapped and fixed numerous body issues. You will have to wait for ppl to redo their slider work to the fixed base body.

15 hours ago, Twycross448 said:

@asebw

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. ?

One last question: Is the mod Boston FPS Fix aka BostonDT Previs-Precombine something one should add to the load list? Asking because I am unsure if the mod is considered outdated or not. (main mod download was last updated in june 2018)

You'd be surprised at how old some of the good mods are. Depending on what they do, age doesn't make a difference. The looks mirror mod for example, has been around since 2016, and is still very usable. The same can be said for some of the patches and texture mods as well. The same cannot be said for the one patch, but i'll leave that for the next update. 

The boston DPS fix is on my test pile, albeit near the bottom atm since I'm got more pressing issues I want to get sorted out. This one though, is new to me (I think), and it looks like something that might be useful (assuming this is not the same as the other one I am thinking about atm). As for location, Since it's fixing/restoring precombined meshes altered by other mods, I would for now put this in the final section. It may be movable depending on what it's overwritting, but that will require testing. 

3 hours ago, asebw said:

You'd be surprised at how old some of the good mods are. Depending on what they do, age doesn't make a difference. The looks mirror mod for example, has been around since 2016, and is still very usable. The same can be said for some of the patches and texture mods as well. The same cannot be said for the one patch, but i'll leave that for the next update. 

The boston DPS fix is on my test pile, albeit near the bottom atm since I'm got more pressing issues I want to get sorted out. This one though, is new to me (I think), and it looks like something that might be useful (assuming this is not the same as the other one I am thinking about atm). As for location, Since it's fixing/restoring precombined meshes altered by other mods, I would for now put this in the final section. It may be movable depending on what it's overwritting, but that will require testing. 

I know. I specifically asked about the Boston DPS Fix mod because it heavily touches the Previsual/Precombined system of Fallout 4. And I know for a fact FO4 is very, very finnicky when it comes to that. So my train of thought was that it may not be a good idea to use newer mods and then overwrite possible changes they make with a "fix" mod that is older than the mods it is supposed to fix. ^_^"

But thanks again for your input. I appreciate it. ?

For now, I have stopped setting up FO4 anyways until the corresponding modders get their act together and update the clothing and armor conversions to the new Fusion Girl v1.61, which is reported to be incompatible with any version before it. ^_^"

30 minutes ago, Twycross448 said:

I know. I specifically asked about the Boston DPS Fix mod because it heavily touches the Previsual/Precombined system of Fallout 4. And I know for a fact FO4 is very, very finnicky when it comes to that. So my train of thought was that it may not be a good idea to use newer mods and then overwrite possible changes they make with a "fix" mod that is older than the mods it is supposed to fix. ^_^"

But thanks again for your input. I appreciate it. ?

For now, I have stopped setting up FO4 anyways until the corresponding modders get their act together and update the clothing and armor conversions to the new Fusion Girl v1.61, which is reported to be incompatible with any version before it. ^_^"

From what I am seeing, all the fix does is restore/replace what was there before the mods changed it. If you were running vanilla FO4 you wouldn't need it, but this mod is supposed to help the areas changed by mods run smoother. As for how it will react to newer mods, that really depends on what has been changed and how much it has changed. Hence why testing is required for a lot of this stuff. Sometimes all you can do is roll the dice and see what turns up.

I am admittedly a little curious to see what's going on with that. Currently working out of my cbbe build (mostly for stuff that does not have a FG conversion yet), so I hadn't noticed the latest kerfuffle. See how long it takes them to get it sort it out I guess.

As for finishing setting up, you can easily switch between FG and CBBE on the fly. Don't think there are any mods in the list that require FG on install. If you are using Mo2, you can setup one profile for FG, and one for CBBE (which is what I have for testing purposes). The only thing you REALLY need to do, is to package your FG and cbbe bodyslide output in separatly. 

The issue with Boston FPS fix is that in needs to be at the bottom of your mod load and some mods might be incompabible as they change things that later this replaces. There a new mod that do similar things FO4FI FPS Fix and have similar problems. This last one have some compatibility patches for some popular outdoor mods which rearange precombines and mak them compatible.

7 hours ago, Alazasthas said:

The issue with Boston FPS fix is that in needs to be at the bottom of your mod load and some mods might be incompabible as they change things that later this replaces. There a new mod that do similar things FO4FI FPS Fix and have similar problems. This last one have some compatibility patches for some popular outdoor mods which rearange precombines and mak them compatible.

Yeah, I still need to verify, but the Boston FPS fix is definetely overwriting some of beantown interior's changes. It may also be interfering with immersive and extended lexington, though that one seems to be having other issues as well. Still testing some areas on that one as well, though I don't seem to be having some of the problems other people have been having. 

Moving house this week, so hopefully I will be able to put another update out around the end of the week or this weekend. See how things go ><.

Is it maybe advisable to try to create a custom PreCombine Patch with the Creation Kit when one uses a lot of mods that influence precombines? According to FO4Edit, 63 of my 367 plugins (252 .esm/.esp and 115 .esl) contain edits to either cell or worldspace entries. (Not counting the official DLCs or CreationClub mods. With those, it would be 71 plugins which touch precombines.)

On 6/29/2020 at 10:24 PM, Twycross448 said:

Is it maybe advisable to try to create a custom PreCombine Patch with the Creation Kit when one uses a lot of mods that influence precombines? According to FO4Edit, 63 of my 367 plugins (252 .esm/.esp and 115 .esl) contain edits to either cell or worldspace entries. (Not counting the official DLCs or CreationClub mods. With those, it would be 71 plugins which touch precombines.)

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Finally got my pc working after the move. 

Patching meshes is out of my depth at the moment. Part of the problem with that, is that not all mods are equal in that respect. Beantown interiors is actually very stable in terms of fps, at least from my own testing, while other mods, like Lexington interiors, can be more problematic some. Part of the problem too is also dependent on how strong your rig is I think. 

I think in this case, rather than a one patch fit all situation, maybe a guide on how to do the patch would be better, so that one can account for different mod lists. Might be something I look into down the road, we'll see if it becomes an issue.

Still need to do some testing in Lexington, hoping to get that done this weekend. See how things develop.

On 6/30/2020 at 3:24 AM, Twycross448 said:

This is a very easy mod to make and can have a big improvement on your game

This guide mite be of use to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPENZq2ub1c  .

Update #4 - 2020-07-06

I am a little disapointed with myself that this update came out much later than I was shooting for, but moving house has a habit of throwing rather large wrenches into one's plans. But I digress. The big change this update is to the LL section. Aside from getting moved lower down, it's been completely overhauled, and is now free of the one patch (huzzah!). It's also been cut down to a more bare bones build, freeing up extra space in the mod list. Most of the animations will be moved to section #5 at a later date. Still good, still used in my own playthrough, just not all necessary for the purpose of this list. It's also had the added bonus of removing a few other CBBE mods that are no longer needed as requirements. Whether they will return, eh, probably note, but we'll see what happens.

Getting close to calling this v1 soon. Just need to check a few more mods, and to finish testing immersive and extended lexington, and south of the sea. And a bunch of other written stuff that needs to be added. Will start on that as soon as I get my ass-friendly computer chair back. 

Removed

Textures

Additional Body Textures                                                                                                 Both are no longer needed

Ghouls Revamped - EVB Male

Override

AlwaysaPerk                                                                                                                     A little too build specific for my liking. Might revisit later. 

Building

Immersive Coffee Mod 9000 GTX french roast                                                                I don't even drink coffee. In game or out.

Patches and Fixes

DLC Ammo                                                                                                                      Replaced with something Better

Lover's Lab

The One Patch to Bang Them All                                                                                    FINALLY GONE!

Modder's Resource                                                                                                         

An extra link to themes tags

50 Shades of Fallout 4

BP70's Fallout 4 Sex Anims

Farelle Animations for AAF

Crazy Animations - Gun Version

Four-Play Animations by Crazy

Four-Play Animations by Crazy - temporary Patch

Bad Ends Animation Pack

AAF Bondage Animations

AAF Creature Animations

AAF DLC creature animation pack

NSFW Sound pack

Vadermania [AAF Animations]

Patch For Animations (Squirt/Cum Effects, cum/tattoo overlays, stages, fixes)

Bade End: Purgatory

AAF Vanilla Fudge                                                                                                      This one has been acting strange lately

Added

Textures

(Choose 1)Boston Natural Surroundings

Sanctuary Hills - Repair and Cleanup                                                                        No more rain through the roof, even after I build on top of it -.-

UI

(Optional)ASO CBBE (Tribal Tattoos and Forged Bands)

Override

Distributed DLC Leveled Lists                                                                                   All your DLC integration in one place

Weather and Lighting

Vanilla Reflection Maps                                                                                           

Lover's Lab

Vioxsis' Strap-On's of Fallout 4                                                                                Needed to replace the one patch

(UAP) Ulfberth's AAF Patch - For MM Only                                                             Required for a number of fixes

Staged Leito Plus Erection Fix                                                                                  Required for a number of fixes

Final

Unlimited Companion Framework                                                                           

Other Changes

- Added a new part to section #5 about potentially problematic mods

- A bunch of editing to sections #1 and #4

Known Issues

Immersive and Extended Lexington: Still looking into the missing walls issues some people have reported with the newer versions of the mod. I'm not getting any yet, though I do not know if this is due to some of the mods I am testing, or my rig, or if i'm just one of the lucky ones.

South of The Sea: A new crops of issues popped up recently. Not too surprising since it is still in beta. Might replace it for now with just the CoA faction overhaul. Need to do some Testing in the glowing sea to see how bad it is.

Food and Recovery items not Working in Survival mode: Been running into an interesting issue lately where in some instances, consuming food, meds, and cigarettes/cigars doesn't do anything. Exting to the main menu and reloading the game solves it, but still irksome. So far only seems to be an issue with survival mode, but if anyone runs into something similar outside of survival, please do let me know.

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2020 at 7:55 PM, cloudmc said:

Diving back in and I am either blind or it's missing... I don't see Advanced Animation Framework on the mod list anymore.  Also Atomic Lust is off to the side.

Found it, it's on the same line as Vioxsis' Strap-On's of Fallout 4.  There isn't a link to AAF though.  Also the 2nd link to Vioxsis' Strap-On's of Fallout 4 seems to be going to a guide and not a mod.

Thank you for pointing that out, both issues have been fixed.

Eh, this is the first time i've had a chance to look at the list in almost a month. Things, well, shit hit the fan and turned into a glorious clusterfuck when a close family member recently attempted suicide, and almost succeeded. Hopefully, I will be able to start working on the list again in October. See how things pan out. 

In the mean time, If anyone sees any errors in the list, or has some issues to report, I will try to watch the thread more carefully. Thank you for your patience. 

8 hours ago, asebw said:

Thank you for pointing that out, both issues have been fixed.

Eh, this is the first time i've had a chance to look at the list in almost a month. Things, well, shit hit the fan and turned into a glorious clusterfuck when a close family member recently attempted suicide, and almost succeeded. Hopefully, I will be able to start working on the list again in October. See how things pan out. 

In the mean time, If anyone sees any errors in the list, or has some issues to report, I will try to watch the thread more carefully. Thank you for your patience. 

That sucks, hopefully they are doing better.  Take the time you need, real life comes first.  I took a while off of modding both FO4 and Skyrim and am trying to get back in but it's hard...

ugh I am crashing when teleporting to good neighbor now...  I was good to get quest there, and then now when going back it crashes...

Nope it appears something is broken now... yesterday I was able to load saves.  Now they crash, no new mods.  I cleaned my WebCache folder as MO2 was complaining about a file; qnetworkdiskcache error for one of the files so I deleted them all :(

Older save from yesterday worked.  Not sure what happened....

ASEBW 

I wanted to write this just to say thank you for making this Mod Guide. When I was playing Fallout 4 last time two years ago I had to wing it myself and the sub entries and dependencies always wound up making issues. It was like I was back in my University Philosophy Structural Logic classes or like the GRE problems where its "this person likes this person but hates to sit near people who like fish so they cant sit next to the dog face boy" problems. I was looking for a better rundown on what order I could install LoversLab mods to make the post apocalyptic world a bit more realistic in that there is always sex for sale and someone that is manipulating someone in the grand anthropology dynamic of a civilization on the knifes edge of collapsing entirely. Sorry I have multiple degrees in pretty much useless things so.

But I am installing this guide now in Covid Lockdown still in Honolulu and just wondered if for installs we just follow the install directions on the mod on Nexus or ?

Last question is many of these mods have multiple possible versions I.E. DLC versions, ESP ESL versions only, Loose File versions. I assume looking and reading through the guide and responses all the way through I am not missing anything and if there is a specific version you mention it.

Thank you once again and excellent guide. 

Damn I need to change my picture thats 18 months old LOL

Cheers. 

3 hours ago, hththt666777 said:

Thanks a lot.

2 questions, with all those mods, isnt there a limit like 255 as with skyrim?

and can i use MO1 wich manages my skyrim too or should i definitely use MO2?

MO2, due to mo1 not working with fallout 4 as far as I am aware, even then mo2 allows you to run 64bit apps, where as mo1 does not, so you can run the better versions of xedit, bodyslide and such.

And yes it has the same limit, but fallout can use esl files which can bypass that limit, as they only count as one in that 255 even though there can in theory be up to 4096 of them, at least I think it is 4096, not too sure on that off hand, it is quite decent number though.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 2:39 PM, Citrimint said:

I can't find where AAF is supposed to go on the list, and several mods require it. Did I miss something?

In the list, it's listed on the same line as another;

Vioxsis' Strap-On's of Fallout 4Advanced Animation Framework (AAF)

Should be 

Vioxsis' Strap-On's of Fallout 4

Advanced Animation Framework (AAF)

OR

(Not sure on the order)

10 hours ago, cloudmc said:

In the list, it's listed on the same line as another;

Vioxsis' Strap-On's of Fallout 4Advanced Animation Framework (AAF)

Should be 

OR

(Not sure on the order)

Doesn't matter, these 2 mods don't have file conflicts.

In fact there is nothing in my whole mod load order that overwrites Vioxsis' Strapons or gets overwritten by it.

Check the conflicts page in the mod details (mod load order).

strapon_zero conflicts.jpg

The only conflicts you can see in there are with the Bodyslide output files from the mod itself (I did put them separately for some reason, but you don't have to).

Esp load order is also clear, AAF has an esm so it will automatically load prior to the Strapon esp.

But there aren't any conflicting entries in there either.

Also OP should probably not have mentioned FallrimTools. 'Cleaning' savegames the same way you did for Skyrim (using these conventient auto clean functions instead of searching for scripts by name) will very likely just break your game instead.

Fallout 4 is different in that regard, deleting unattached script instances will break some mods that actually use those.

Wanna get rid of scripts in your save after uninstalling a mod? Start with letting 24h ingame time pass. If that doesn't work you might try your luck with that tool, but only if you know what you're doing.