Fallout 4 Beginner's Guide - A Mod List to Get You Started (V0.5 - beta)

17 minutes ago, asebw said:

Well, first off, your list does not seem to be sorted as it is laid out in the guide. That right there could be the problem. The CTDs, do they always happen in the exact same place in the museum, or are they random within the museum?

I don't want some of the mods of the guide, so I tried to ordered them as the guide said (or maybe I simply don't understand how exactly order the mods ?). The CTDs happened everytime I was fighting the raiders, few seconds before the first deathclaw appear.

But I solved the problem restarting the game with a new game without any mods installed, and reinstalled them again (I exluded some of them that I don't want anymore). Now the game runs well

3 hours ago, zep said:

I don't want some of the mods of the guide, so I tried to ordered them as the guide said (or maybe I simply don't understand how exactly order the mods ?). The CTDs happened everytime I was fighting the raiders, few seconds before the first deathclaw appear.

But I solved the problem restarting the game with a new game without any mods installed, and reinstalled them again (I exluded some of them that I don't want anymore). Now the game runs well

CTD usually means some models are notmaking the correct reference. One problem is that if you check your M02 screen, you might think that the mods are ordered the way you want. But tothe right you'll which esm/esl/esp are being loaded into the game engine andin which order. If you turn off a mod in the left window and then turn it on, the esp will be moved out of the original position to the bottom. This might lead into some conflicts in your game. Also I have found that sometimes you need to recheck that the esp is beign loaded, as some are turned off sometimes.

Sounds like there's something wrong with the deathclaws, least that is what the timing of the CTD is indicating. Either that, or something in the Concord data is wonky. Are you running any mods not from the list that change the deathclaws in some way?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have now started merging mods to clean up my mods and I'm working with the Sorter. Any guidelines to expand on the categories for armour and weapons. Rudy88 gives you the option to use other sorters, but I havent found any one in the Nexus. Any pointers on this one?

11 hours ago, Alazasthas said:

Well, I have now started merging mods to clean up my mods and I'm working with the Sorter. Any guidelines to expand on the categories for armour and weapons. Rudy88 gives you the option to use other sorters, but I havent found any one in the Nexus. Any pointers on this one?

The two sorters I normally use are either vis or vis-g, though vis-g seemed the last time I used it to be buggy as hell, with crashes when accessing inventory items and such.  Mind you that was about two years ago, so they may well have sorted the problems out.

9 hours ago, Varithina said:

The two sorters I normally use are either vis or vis-g, though vis-g seemed the last time I used it to be buggy as hell, with crashes when accessing inventory items and such.  Mind you that was about two years ago, so they may well have sorted the problems out.

I used that one too but seems like a real pain to have a patch for every mod you use. The Rudy88 sorting script suggested in this list is a great little gimmick which do a custom sorting of all your items with a FO4Edit script. There's a similar one for crafting recipes from a Crafting Framework.

It's pretty efficient on grabbing all the itmes from the mod list you are using, only feature I don't understand is that it can b overriden for sorting armor and weapons. And I was wondering on what options you can use for those.

20 hours ago, Alazasthas said:

I used that one too but seems like a real pain to have a patch for every mod you use. The Rudy88 sorting script suggested in this list is a great little gimmick which do a custom sorting of all your items with a FO4Edit script. There's a similar one for crafting recipes from a Crafting Framework.

It's pretty efficient on grabbing all the itmes from the mod list you are using, only feature I don't understand is that it can b overriden for sorting armor and weapons. And I was wondering on what options you can use for those.

No idea, I had not seen this script before, but as I am currently re-building my fallout 4 I am taking a look see.  Not having potentially dozens of patch esp/esl does kinda appeal to me.

On 4/29/2020 at 6:13 PM, Varithina said:

No idea, I had not seen this script before, but as I am currently re-building my fallout 4 I am taking a look see.  Not having potentially dozens of patch esp/esl does kinda appeal to me.

Unfortunately, sorting mods are rather limited in FO4. Ruddy88's the only one I've encountered that hasn't been a total pain in the ass to use. It will be interesting to see if it gets expanded at some point, but otherwise, I wouldn't hold your breath.

2 minutes ago, asebw said:

Unfortunately, sorting mods are rather limited in FO4. Ruddy88's the only one I've encountered that hasn't been a total pain in the ass to use. It will be interesting to see if it gets expanded at some point, but otherwise, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Vis/vis-g in its basic form is not too bad, it tends to go to hell when you start messing around with armor and weapons, but for stuff like holotapes, notes and such it is fine.  Biggest thing I tend to find is sorting out the damn instance naming rules that pretty much every body uses to name armor and weapons, figuring out which is the one that should be passed through to my conflict res patch is the biggest pain in the arse I tend to find, as get it wrong and it can be instant ctd when using workbenches or accessing inventory.  And it can be a total pain to sort out if it is that causing the ctd or something wrong with the meshes/texutres or what not of one of the mods you have.

23 hours ago, Varithina said:

Vis/vis-g in its basic form is not too bad, it tends to go to hell when you start messing around with armor and weapons, but for stuff like holotapes, notes and such it is fine.  Biggest thing I tend to find is sorting out the damn instance naming rules that pretty much every body uses to name armor and weapons, figuring out which is the one that should be passed through to my conflict res patch is the biggest pain in the arse I tend to find, as get it wrong and it can be instant ctd when using workbenches or accessing inventory.  And it can be a total pain to sort out if it is that causing the ctd or something wrong with the meshes/texutres or what not of one of the mods you have.

That last part is easier to figure out. You build your list, test it, then enable the sorting mod last. That's what I was doing the last time I tried to use vis-g. That, or test as you go, activating one or two item mods at a time to see which ones are breaking the bleeper. But it led to some other issues that ultimately forced me to abandon trying to use vis-g. It was all potentially fixable, but the ROI just wasn't worth the time it would take to get it working.

I've been using Rudy88 and it's easier to get it working that VIS/VIS-G, specially when some of your mods don't have that enabled. Only problem with Rudy is that the weapons and armor is all bundled into the same category. It's easy to get it fixed if something is breaking it or missplaced,and you can get the icos to work easily.

I'm following this guide, but I'm confused with the suggested install order. One of the first thing this guide recommend that you install, is AWKCR. However, this mod requires you to select between CBBE versions or not, and a slew of extra Power Armour mods. I haven't had those installed yet, obviously. Can I just install them afterwards? Or should I install them first anyway?

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, endomiel said:

I'm following this guide, but I'm confused with the suggested install order. One of the first thing this guide recommend that you install, is AWKCR. However, this mod requires you to select between CBBE versions or not, and a slew of extra Power Armour mods. I haven't had those installed yet, obviously. Can I just install them afterwards? Or should I install them first anyway?

Thanks in advance!

When installing Armor and weapon  Keywords , Just hit the next button. You do not need to install the patch for CBBE if you do not use CBBE eg you intend to use Fusion Girl, The same with the other patch's offered.

5 hours ago, endomiel said:

Thanks in advance!

The stuff that gets installed with AWKCR are replacer plugins and/or patches for those particular mods to bring them inline with AWKCR.  The CBBE option just adds a lost clothing item or two. The power armor stuff are mostly replacer plugins for the mentioned mods. You only need to select the stuff you plan on using, and if you are using MO2, you can just re-install AWKCR later on to change your selections.

One thing you need to check is that MMO have two lists: the one in the left might be in the order you want them to be, but the order of the esp loading is done with the list to the right. If you deactivate a mod and then reactivate it on a later date, the loading order will be the order in which you activate the mods, not the order of the list you have.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 11:48 AM, nightred said:

Great workup.

I have made some changes but the best visual overhaul improvement i did was add FlaconOil's Complete Retexture Project 3 parts above SavrenX's textures in the foundation section.

This does increase load times a bit, but the results are worth it in my opinion.

20200513221009_1.jpg

I am actually familiar with this mod. I used it in the past for a bit, but eventually dropped it cause some of the textures just did not look right. I remember some of his tires looking wonky, as well as one of the metal textures and a vehicle. Might go back and take another look at it within the context of this list. As soon as life quits trying to send me back to crazy town for a bit -.-.

• 3 weeks later...

Update #2 - 2020-06-09

So yeah, still alive, still working on the list. I apologize for the delay in updates, but unfortunately, the last few months have been, difficult, to put it VERY nicely. Some broken bones, some bruised bones, relocating twice, family drama, and of course, COVID-19, had not left me with much time to work on FO4 stuff. Hopefully (fingers crossed), now that things are settling down, i'll be able to put more focus on the list. 

This update adds a bunch of retextures, some new animations, and the return of the Lost Vault. 

Added 

Textures:

Better Ammo Boxes

Better Ammo Boxes - Far harbor 45-70

Better Ammo Boxes - Nuka World 7.62

Retextured Water - By Ben Ephla

Physics and Animations:

JUST NEW FEMALE ANIMATIONS                                                                                   A nice collection of middle ground animations. Not vanilla, and not too sexy.

Armor:

Handmade Post-apocalyptic Hazmat Suit                                                                     A nice suit that you upgrade as you level. Might be a lil under in terms of def for                                                                                                                            survival+

Sound:

Barefoot Footstep Extended                                                                                         A continuation of the original Barefoot Footstep mod

Barefoot Footstep Extended Sound Package - Original Version

Barefoot Footstep Extended Sound Package - Alternate Version

Override:

AlwaysAPerk                                                                                                                 Gain stat points as you skill up your perks

EXP from Companion Kills (No damage Required)                                                      So your companions don't steal XP

World:

Highway Runner                                                                                                          An alternate way to get around the Commonwealth if you have fast travel disabled

The Lost Vault                                                                                                             Huzzah! It has returned

Patches and Fixes:

Tales from the Commonwealth Visual Fixes                                                               Makes a few places a little prettier

Weapons:

Post-Apocalyptic Weapons Homemade Weapons - Assault Rifle Replacer              So much better looking than the originals.
Post-Apocalyptic Weapons Homemade Weapons - Pipe Gun Replacer
Post-Apocalyptic Weapons Homemade Weapons - Laser Musket Replacer
M1928A1 Thompson - Day of Infamy
Anti Material rifle - F4NV                                                                                         I am liking this one better than the CC AMR

Removed

Physics and Animation:

Better Female Walk                                                                                                 Replaced with something better

Armor:

HN66s Sirius.16 Assault Armor                                                                               Will be moved to Section #5 in the next update

HN66s Sirius.16 Assault Armor - Fusion Girl Bodyslide Preset

Sound:

Barefoot Footsteps                                                                                                 Replaced with the successor extended mod

Override:

Zombie Walkers                                                                                                   

Patches and Fixes:

More Feral Ghouls. A Zombie Mod - Zombie Walkers patch

Final:

Transfer Settlements

15 hours ago, Alazasthas said:

Have you see the Glock 19x weapon mod. Great ddition for a sidearm.

I love the mandmade Hazmat Suit. Only problem I have is that it's the only thing you can wear and in the low tech side its really paper thin.

I have actually downloaded the new glock. Probably not going to make it onto the mod list as I am trying to avoid adding modern weapons, but definitely one I might use in my own playthroughs. Haven't tried it yet cause I'm still working on textures atm. Running into some, interesting, glitches on that front (still not sure what keeps turning codsworth black -.-). 

The homemade hazmat suit is turning out to be an interesting conundrum the more I use it myself. I agree that the early stages are a little weak, particularly for my more brutal survival+ game. I originally saw it as just a replacer for the default hazmat suit, but now I am starting to wonder if it could be made to be a more viable primary armor. I'm tempted to take up some modding knowledge to try creating a patch for it once the list is closer to being finished. There's a few values i'd like to tweak, as well as maybe see if I can add the ability to equip armor pieces at the early stages, then remove the ability to equip those pieces in the later stage once more armor is permanently added on. Not sure if that is something that can actually be done with the CK, hence my need to learn some more about actual mod writing. 

On 5/4/2020 at 4:31 PM, asebw said:

That is true, kinda got my game sorted out, that is if I can keep the same damn mod list long enough to sort things out properly,

I did do some playing around and dropped vis/vis-g totally and replaced it with rudy, nice and easy, though I went with this for weapons and armor though https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5605

45 minutes ago, Varithina said:

That is true, kinda got my game sorted out, that is if I can keep the same damn mod list long enough to sort things out properly,

I did do some playing around and dropped vis/vis-g totally and replaced it with rudy, nice and easy, though I went with this for weapons and armor though https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5605

Interesting. I will definitely add that one to the pile. My only concern is how it might handle some weapon mods (testing will answer that question), but other then that, I like it. 

5 hours ago, asebw said:

Interesting. I will definitely add that one to the pile. My only concern is how it might handle some weapon mods (testing will answer that question), but other then that, I like it. 

Not too sure about that, I have not really got far enough in the game to tell, there again pretty much the only weapon mod I have installed is weaponsmith extended and skibada, though I am currently working on stripping out a load of scripted level lists injectors from some weapons mods so that I can merge them and use my own custom level lists, but that does not use scripts.