View File

SmallerTalk version 1.2.6

I have taken ownership of Prideslayer's SmallerTalk and have added a few new features to it that will, and this has been proven fairly
extensively through testing some very hard to talk to NPC's, make SmallerTalk a replacement for SmallTalk for any mod that needs the
functionality SmallTalk provides.

Why use SmallerTalk instead of SmallTalk?
SmallTalk overrides vanilla records, SmallerTalk does not.
SmallTalk is huge and causes you to watch the entire load sequence, SmallerTalk does not.
SmallTalk does not handle dialogues it doesn't have a replacement for, SmallerTalk does.
SmallTalk cannot fix NPC's that have forced goodbyes, SmallerTalk can.
SmallTalk propagates all vanilla dialogue errors fixed by community and official patches/dlc's, SmallerTalk does not.

How SmallerTalk works:
SmallerTalk has a non-vanilla greeting and a non-vanilla response. It hooks the use of the ActivateControl (typically the "E" key) and if the target is not
in combat, is not a creature, is not dead and IS an actor... it performs "StartConversation player, SmallerTalkGreeting" and sets a variable that is used by the greeting as a selection criterion so the NPC uses it. It does NOT in any way alter activation so it won't mess with activation scripts nor stop standard dialogue whatsoever. What it does do is cause a conversation with an NPC who has nothing but "goodbye" flagged dialogue responses that proceeds as follows:

NPC: What's up?
YOU: Nothing much... and you?
NPC: Same ol', same ol'...

and then it does not close the dialogue. Any mods you have that hook into GREETING that would display options such as SewerSlave, SexoutSex,
HowAbout, UseableCigarettes and other mods of that type will then display their dialogue topics.

More Information
NEW In 1.2.6... Prefaced all debug messages with "SmallerTalk: ".

NEW In 1.2.5... Ability for mods to have NPCs ignored by SmallerTalk. 2 options... add NPC to SmallerTalkIgnoreList (formid list) or SmallerTalkIgnoreFaction (faction) with rank 0.

NEW In 1.2.4... Randomized dialogue (10 random greetings and 10 random responses) available as an MCM option, default is OFF

In 1.2.3... Conversation after companion wheel use is now an MCM option and defaults to ON

In 1.2.2... Reverted to armor tokens so they could be set non-playable and not appear in vendor inventories.

In 1.2.1... Fix for weapons disappearing and becoming unusable.

In 1.2.0... PROPERLY checking for GetSleeping now ;)

In 1.1.9... Can set timer delay from 1 to 10 seconds in MCM screen (default = 3).

In 1.1.8... entirely new dialogue initiation code using a dialogue token, won't stomp on vanilla dialogue that was flagged as both SayOnce and Goodbye.

In 1.1.7... the MCM config option to disable SmallerTalk while sneaking.

In 1.1.6... critter support with body language dialogue in place of speaking... can be disabled(default)/enabled through MCM

Altered Companion Wheel functionality response to disregard Cass so you won't see "we done?" , you'll get the SmallerTalk greeting-response, this is
because Cass was EXTREMELY resistant to SexoutSex dialogue.

Some NPC AI was locking up after using SmallerTalk on them. This is an attempted fix, please let me know if you have any more AI lockup issues.
Added double protection AI reset Token. Fixed code error.

With MCM you can enable or disable the mod from the MCM menu.
With MCM you can enable or disable debug messages from the MCM menu.
MCM is NOT required by the mod but the mod does support its use.

SmallerTalk can display debug information. Typically it can be displayed by typing "set .doDebug to 1" or turned off (default) by typing "set .doDebug to 0".

One
situation with the companion wheel has a special handler... in the case
of trading using the companion wheel, I have set SmallerTalk to NOT do
its conversation and instead respond with "We done?" and exit the
dialogue. This was an unintuitive use of SmallerTalk and was
disorienting to testers so it was changed. Cass exempted from this.

If tapping the activate key (typically the "E" key) does not start the SmallerTalk conversation or an NPC proves unwilling to start the conversation... simply hold down the activate key for 3 seconds while keeping your crosshair on the NPC and then release... that WILL initiate the SmallerTalk conversation even with the most recalcitrant NPC's who possess factions like ForceNoGreeting like wastelander template NPC's, AWOP Wastelanders, freeside generics, and such.

Modders wishing to test SmallerTalk versioning from within their code to see if the user is using the right version can check the global value "SmallerTalkVersionNumber" and/or the mod description. The mod description will be in the form "v1.0.0" and the global will be a float such as "1.00". The two will be kept in sync with each new release as they happen.

Feel free to provide feedback, testing results and bug reports in this thread.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    02/02/2013
  • Category
  • Requires

Guest luthienanarion

Note that this an be ported to Fallout 3 by removing two of the arguments passed to the StartConversation command in the SmallerTalkDTokenScript:

refHolder.StartConversation player, SmallerTalkGreeting ref.refHolder ref.Player 1 1

refHolder.StartConversation player, SmallerTalkGreeting 1 1

Note that this an be ported to Fallout 3 by removing two of the arguments passed to the StartConversation command in the SmallerTalkDTokenScript:

refHolder.StartConversation player, SmallerTalkGreeting ref.refHolder ref.Player 1 1

I didn't even think that change was necessary. The first call is a vanilla call that should work in both FO3 and FONV.  Can you confirm that it doesn't?

Guest luthienanarion

I ported it once and remember the FO3 GECK throwing an error on that command until I removed some arguments. The working version I have uses:

refHolder.StartConversation player, SmallerTalkGreeting

I'll see if I can find that and screencap the compiler error.

Edit:

Somehow, the SmallerTalkDTokenScript won't compile in your plugin. The error thrown states "SCRIPTS: Script 'SmallerTalkDTokenScript', line 38: Syntax Error. Reference not allowed in this context."  Removing the "ref." from both the refHolder and Player arguments allows the script to compile in both FO3 and FNV.

It seems my memory wasn't spot-on about why the line was changed when I ported it.

I ported it once and remember the FO3 GECK throwing an error on that command until I removed some arguments. The working version I have uses:

refHolder.StartConversation player, SmallerTalkGreeting

I'll see if I can find that and screencap the compiler error.

Edit:

Somehow, the SmallerTalkDTokenScript won't compile in your plugin. The error thrown states "SCRIPTS: Script 'SmallerTalkDTokenScript', line 38: Syntax Error. Reference not allowed in this context."  Removing the "ref." from both the refHolder and Player arguments allows the script to compile in both FO3 and FNV.

It seems my memory wasn't spot-on about why the line was changed when I ported it.

Yeah the full version of the function support 6 arguments..

startconversation targetactor topicid editorlocationrefspeaker editorlocationreftarget headtrackonoff allowmovementonoff

As far as I know, arguments 1 and 2 are required. Arguments 3-6 are optional.

If you include either argument 3 or 4 you need to include the other.

Arguments 5 and 6 are optional.

FONV would not let me leave out arguments 3 and 4 if I included 5 and 6.

I just tested with FO3 which seems to NOT allow arguments 3 and 4.

It should be the following if FO3 allows it:

The head tracking and allow movement are kind of a must for the plugin in situations where the actor has wandered far enough away

before the startconversation is called. If they aren't included thenthe player will need to stay close to the target so the target isn't forced to walk too far to them. Either that or I can refactor the process to give them a walk to player package followed by startconversation I guess.

Edited by astymma
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The file is not in a compressed format, instead it is a straight esp download. If you wish to install it with FOMM, for easy removal and replacement (nmm should never be used for NV if you are going to install sexout anyways, due to issues) you need to pack it into a zip, 7zip or rar file using a  program, like 7zip or winrar. Otherwise just drop it in the data folder.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The smaller talk does not function I could put it at the top of the load list. And it dosent run anything but when I use the smaltalk mod the mod that relies on smaller talk it works. Not sure what the issue with this mod is.

That sounds like ...

it doesnt seem to work on mine

why is this?

Well, as astymma wrote ...

Need a lot more information than that... a load order in a spoiler tag for example. Describe your problem...

I just can say, that in my recent installation of F:NV smaller talk does what it should do - like allways ...

So ... yes ... we need more information ...

Are you using a joypad?

I tried using one of these mods (joypad user) and they don't function, since they rely on the actual keyboard button press to start the 'new' greeting off.

You can use the joypad and still press keybaord buttons though. (I found it to be too fiddly though personally)

• 1 month later...

Yeah i use the xbox controler. Those programs tend not to be free. It is much less hassle to press e. Im just surprised that it isn't already compatable with controlers. The old small talk was tied into the talk option. Only issues that i saw with that mod was you would need to turn it off before you fixed ede.

SmallerTalk is also tied directly to the "activate" control. AKA the "talk option". As for issues with SmallTalk, see the OP ;)

I will look into some way to make it work with controllers properly. I can't test it though... I'm one of those people who believes consoles are "THE EVIL".

• 9 months later...

Smaller Talk shows empty in the MCM menu for me?

Considering SmallerTalk has functioned perfectly fine for a long time, for a lot of people, I'd seriously doubt SmallerTalk is your probelm. Then again, you didn't provide enough information to determine if that's the case.

• 2 months later...

Considering SmallerTalk has functioned perfectly fine for a long time, for a lot of people, I'd seriously doubt SmallerTalk is your probelm. Then again, you didn't provide enough information to determine if that's the case.

There is no MCM for mine either.... there is a MCM menu for it but its blank and has no options or abilities in it!!!

I didn't indeed! I should have edited this post :/.

Whatever problem I was having, I either fixed it or :P dunno what happened.

• 1 month later...

MCM is fragile, and one mod that doesn't quite follow the 'standard' can potentially break it for other mods. All you can really do is try disabling mods until you track down the guilty one.

It's not smallertalk.

I found the problem that cause my smaller talk to have a blank mcm menu... perhaps its the same error as others are getting...

I'm using Firefox and I had attempted to re-download the mod and repackage it to fix any errors and I noticed that the download was named smallertalk(2) so I simply renamed it by removing the number to smallertalk and this fixed the blank mcm menu for me! 

Hope this helps

• 1 year later...

When I tried installing this mod, it broke my loot windows, companion wheel, and the esc button/pause function. The text in loot windows became gibberish; the companion wheel had nothing but bright blue boxes over each option; the esc button does nothing, and the game doesn't pause even when you alt+tab out into another window. As soon as I uninstalled the mod, everything went back to normal.

This happened with one other mod (the D/s Veronica mod, and then actually with SmallTalk as well), and when I asked, someone said it sounded like a memory or script cash issue, and recommended installing NVAC or 4GB patcher, but unfortunately I already have both of those installed. Does anyone have any ideas for what might be causing this, or how to fix it?