18 minutes ago, Boondockroberts said:

ahh, don't have solitude license. Figured it was on it's own being a brothal and I was allowed to operate. I'll try that as soon as I figure out where the hell that guy who made his daughter a ghost is.

OK cool glad it sounds like it's not a bug.

Let me know if you have trouble finding the house. It can be a bit tricky to find with no quest or map markers.

Spoiler

Hint: stay near the water.

All is working correctly. The Solitude License corrected and I did find that farm (nice touch with the wife in there) I was worried that a mod I had that makse Rorikstead a huge village was conflicting but I wasn't searching far enough out.

So far mod seems very clean. I used it with alternate start (tavern visitor) and it's been smooth sailing.

I'm making a transition to SE and this mod is one that I'm definitely interested in playing. From the screenshots, it's look like we are getting real and immersive stories and that's something that really lacks in many sex mods. If you manage to make this as some sort of 'guild' that can blend nicely into Skyrim world, it would be a dream!

Hope you can keep this up!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I tested the mod and I'm really impressed. Most of the quests are running pretty smooth.

The dialogues are good and immersive. Really enjoyed how you gave dialogues after the scenes to some characters, so it's not just "end sex, next stage". That was noticeable in the Morthal quest, with the jail dialogue, and Solitude quest, when you could talk with the girls and ambassadors.

The stories were well written too, the investigation part, the mystery... much better than many vanilla misc quests. Great job!

Some suggestions I could give are:

1. The brothel could have a sign post. The location also feels a bit remote, but I guess it's better to avoid conflict with city mods.

2. The quests from all holds being activated at the same time after the talk with the madam are a bit too much, as they might pollute the journal and force the players to complete all of them to clean it. I'd suggest to make one objective to get at least one license and activate the others when you talk with the stewards.

3. The Winterhold quest, one of my favorites: the cell of the necromancer is too remote and far away from the city, could be a trouble for people who uses Frostfall or similar mods. It's also a bit unimmersive to make a trip to such location and find a trap door in the middle of nowhere. I think it would be better somewhere near the city. The glacier cave also feels too inhospitable to a sex scene imo. But these are all suggestions to make it more immersive, the quest is functional and I recognize it would be extra trouble for you.

So, I did all the hold quests and started working at the brothel, but after servicing some clients and paying what I owed, it didn't seem to appear any new quests. Are there any quests going on in the brothel in the current stage? If yes, how do I unlock them? Looking into the mod for a bit I found some content related to magic training and vampires but didn't see anything like that.

17 hours ago, Highborn said:

So, I tested the mod and I'm really impressed. Most of the quests are running pretty smooth.

The dialogues are good and immersive. Really enjoyed how you gave dialogues after the scenes to some characters, so it's not just "end sex, next stage". That was noticeable in the Morthal quest, with the jail dialogue, and Solitude quest, when you could talk with the girls and ambassadors.

The stories were well written too, the investigation part, the mystery... much better than many vanilla misc quests. Great job!

Reveal hidden contents

So, I did all the hold quests and started working at the brothel, but after servicing some clients and paying what I owed, it didn't seem to appear any new quests. Are there any quests going on in the brothel in the current stage? If yes, how do I unlock them? Looking into the mod for a bit I found some content related to magic training and vampires but didn't see anything like that.

Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it. Also, thanks for the suggestions.

1. The brothel could have a sign post. The location also feels a bit remote, but I guess it's better to avoid conflict with city mods.

I'm really trying not to edit city worldspaces too much, but some of that is more lack of confidence on my part that I know what I'm doing enough to mess with it than anything else. I am also going a little bit for an idea that prostitution is legal and accepted, but that doesn't necessarily mean people want it so obviously in their backyard. I may evolve the concept a little more as I do more work on this, though.

I'll have to look into what it would take to make a signpost. I'm mainly a coder, so 3D assets are definitely not my strong point.

2. The quests from all holds being activated at the same time after the talk with the madam are a bit too much, as they might pollute the journal and force the players to complete all of them to clean it. I'd suggest to make one objective to get at least one license and activate the others when you talk with the stewards.

Fair point, and that is something I've noticed when playtesting it myself. I'll look into some other options for a future release.

3. The Winterhold quest, one of my favorites: the cell of the necromancer is too remote and far away from the city, could be a trouble for people who uses Frostfall or similar mods. It's also a bit unimmersive to make a trip to such location and find a trap door in the middle of nowhere. I think it would be better somewhere near the city. The glacier cave also feels too inhospitable to a sex scene imo. But these are all suggestions to make it more immersive, the quest is functional and I recognize it would be extra trouble for you.

I'll take another look at the location. I'm usually going for a balance of making the location fit the quest and also not having to move a bunch of things that are in the vanilla worldspace. Biggest issue I usually run into is just how many monster spawn points and world interaction locations there are. But some of this also is stuff that I did when I was much less comfortable with the Creation Kit than I am now, so I won't altogether rule out revisiting choices I made earlier.

The glacier cave was the first interior I built from nothing, and I think it could definitely use some more polish to make it feel less like an icebox.

I appreciate all of the feedback.

When installing/running this mod for the first time using Mod Organiser, I ran into an error;

DEBUG (08:57:09.0165): reading BSA The Ancient Profession.bsa
ERROR (08:57:09.0200): failed to initialize vfs: invalid type 105 (filename: C:\Users\Myname\Desktop\ModOrganizer\mods\The Ancient Profession 0.2\The Ancient Profession.bsa)
ERROR (08:57:09.0207): failed to set up

It seems this is because I use Oldrim instead of the super fancy Special Edition, could you make this mod compatible for Oldrim?

Edit 1: I found a tool named Cathedral Assets Optimiser which was able to do it myself.

Edit 2; The quest to aquire the license in Solitude doesn't seem to start after talking to the local inn keeper..  

9 hours ago, Wut1969 said:

When installing/running this mod for the first time using Mod Organiser, I ran into an error;

DEBUG (08:57:09.0165): reading BSA The Ancient Profession.bsa
ERROR (08:57:09.0200): failed to initialize vfs: invalid type 105 (filename: C:\Users\Myname\Desktop\ModOrganizer\mods\The Ancient Profession 0.2\The Ancient Profession.bsa)
ERROR (08:57:09.0207): failed to set up

It seems this is because I use Oldrim instead of the super fancy Special Edition, could you make this mod compatible for Oldrim?

Edit 1: I found a tool named Cathedral Assets Optimiser which was able to do it myself.

Edit 2; The quest to aquire the license in Solitude doesn't seem to start after talking to the local inn keeper..  

I don't have any plans to support Oldrim myself. It takes a lot of time to develop the mod for one version.

I tried to run it in Oldrim right after my first release, because someone else already requested this. The scripts didn't run for me, which is probably what you're seeing and is probably why the quest isn't starting.

The 7z file should have all of the script sources in it, so in theory it has everything necessary for someone to do a conversion, but I don't know what you would actually have to do for that.

My answer last time someone asked for Oldrim support: 

8 hours ago, Tron91 said:

extract the bsa and get rid of it. the SE bsa is not the same as LE bsa.

I can confirm that the mod seems to be playable if you do this, but when I tried it the character faces didn't have the right textures for the rest of their bodies. Probably a FaceGen issue, but I didn't spend much time trying to figure it out. There are also a whole bunch of weird, annoying banging noises in the Solitude brothel. They probably have to do with bad clutter placement, but they don't happen on SE, and fixing them is not going to be high on my list.

I was able to get some of the quests to start and to advance, though.

Edit: Never mind about the banging noises. Apparently that's a known issue when your FPS goes over 60. When I capped the frame rate, the banging stopped.

13 minutes ago, Highborn said:

Nice!

What is the changelog btw? 

It's in the "What's new in 0.3" section on the download page. Really short version is 2 new quests (1 and a job really), some bug fixes, and a few new small features.

4 hours ago, Highborn said:

Hide contents

Does the party at the brothel’s basement one of the new quests? Just asking because it unlocked to me pretty sure before I had paid the madam 1000 gold. Unless it counts the money I kept to myself. 

It's how much customers have given you, not how that was divided afterwards.

2 hours ago, ruddycray said:

It's how much customers have given you, not how that was divided afterwards.

Alright. I really liked the party quest. Pretty cool for role-playing. The new one in Riften too.

And I appreciate that you added more dialogue options to previous encounters, excellent work! :)

41 minutes ago, werners said:

is it normal that after buying the license from whiterun I no longer have any quest?

If you're asking if that's all there is to the Whiterun quest, the answer is yes.

That quest is a placeholder right now so that you can get the license, but I plan to give it a real quest later.

I really liked the revisited dialogues of some of the quests. Nice touch with the kiss in Dawnstar. Btw, it would be cool if some of the characters become available for later repeatable encounters, maybe Jagar can get freebies after you become friends with him. I also think that you could add 'let's go to somewhere more private' to his dialogue, so you don't have to do in the middle of the harbor. I noticed that the quest in Dawnstar is supposed to have a continuation after you tell the steward about what you found out. Is that already implemented?

Another small suggestion is that the Windhelm quest, when you are sent to the soldier camp, the general there could say something like 'I'll send word to the steward that you fulfilled your duty' or maybe he can just give you a certificate or something. Because I noticed that after you talk with the  steward and comes back, he just takes your words as truth with no confirmation that you did your part and entertained the soldiers.

1 minute ago, Highborn said:

I really liked the revisited dialogues of some of the quests. Nice touch with the kiss in Dawnstar. Btw, it would be cool if some of the characters become available for later repeatable encounters, maybe Jagar can get freebies after you become friends with him. I noticed that the quest in Dawnstar is supposed to have a continuation after you tell the steward about what you found out. Is that already implemented?

It is not. I have fairly large plans for the Dawnstar continuation. Actually the next step in the continuation is implemented and is in 0.3 already, but the follow-up to that is not ready, so I didn't make it accessible. The Dawnstar line is not going to be one that I can release partly implemented until it gets a bit further along than it currently is.

I'll definitely think about doing some things with Jagar. I have some plans for what happens with him depending on how you interact with him, but I like the idea of having some more options with him after you've gotten what you need out of him.

3 hours ago, Highborn said:

I really liked the revisited dialogues of some of the quests. Nice touch with the kiss in Dawnstar. Btw, it would be cool if some of the characters become available for later repeatable encounters, maybe Jagar can get freebies after you become friends with him. I also think that you could add 'let's go to somewhere more private' to his dialogue, so you don't have to do in the middle of the harbor. I noticed that the quest in Dawnstar is supposed to have a continuation after you tell the steward about what you found out. Is that already implemented?

Another small suggestion is that the Windhelm quest, when you are sent to the soldier camp, the general there could say something like 'I'll send word to the steward that you fulfilled your duty' or maybe he can just give you a certificate or something. Because I noticed that after you talk with the  steward and comes back, he just takes your words as truth with no confirmation that you did your part and entertained the soldiers.

Think you might have edited while I was responding or something, but to your other points:

• "Go somewhere more private" is definitely on my list. I don't like it when my character is screwing in the public areas of an inn, let alone on the streets of town. Just haven't gotten around to it yet, and I want to do it in a way that I don't have to implement it again and again for different characters, if I can avoid it.
  • I'll put the Windhelm suggestion on the list, as well.

I thought about some other suggestions:

I believe that giving Benjen a daily schedule or a place to stay is in your plans too? The first encounter in the alley is nice, but it's a bit odd that he is still there after you return from the mission.

Something I think could've been a good opportunity to be included in Markarth is that the steward Raerek is in involved in a vanilla quest from the local alchemist, in which she asks you to deliver, discreetly, his 'stamina' potion. After you get the license from him, he could ask the player if she is up to test one of these potions with him. He seems to be the type of old man that would be a regular client.

In Winterhold, I understand that the 500 price is demanded in order to challenge the player and make them consider the unusual proposal from Vanikseth. However, I think it doesn't make much sense that the Jarl from such a poor hold, that barely has visitors besides mages, would put that price. It doesn't seem very productive if they want to increase their population or keep visitors coming. As a suggestion, I think you could put a regular price, but the steward would immediately suggest that the player could get a lot of gold for one special job that could get her interest, leading to the necromancer's quest if they accept to meet him. I also believe it would be a nice touch if Vanikseth mentions that if you help him, he could credit you as his assistant in his breakthrough research. It could make the player all giddy to have helped discover something important (you may give the option to refuse if the player prefers to not have her name involved). He could also teach magic skills for those players that plan on starting a mage character later.

For future quests, maybe something related to the racial tensions in Windhelm with the Argonian Dock Workers would be nice.

51 minutes ago, Highborn said:

I thought about some other suggestions:

I believe that giving Benjen a daily schedule or a place to stay is in your plans too? The first encounter in the alley is nice, but it's a bit odd that he is still there after you return from the mission.

It's on my radar, but I am also a little wary of it just because I'm trying not to mess with vanilla stuff more than necessary, and giving the NPCs a place to sleep requires editing something. I'll probably do it eventually, but it most likely won't be until the mod is a little further along.

Something I think could've been a good opportunity to be included in Markarth is that the steward Raerek is in involved in a vanilla quest from the local alchemist, in which she asks you to deliver, discreetly, his 'stamina' potion. After you get the license from him, he could ask the player if she is up to test one of these potions with him. He seems to be the type of old man that would be a regular client.

I've stayed away from having the quests center too much on the stewards, because most of them can change depending on the sides you pick in the civil war, and when they get sent off to the Blue Palace or the Palace of the Kings many of them don't react favorably to you. I'm not opposed to using something like that (I'd actually forgotten about that quest) but I need to make sure it's optional or makes sense no matter how it plays out.

In Winterhold, I understand that the 500 price is demanded in order to challenge the player and make them consider the unusual proposal from Vanikseth. However, I think it doesn't make much sense that the Jarl from such a poor hold, that barely has visitors besides mages, would put that price. It doesn't seem very productive if they want to increase their population or keep visitors coming. As a suggestion, I think you could put a regular price, but the steward would immediately suggest that the player could get a lot of gold for one special job that could get her interest, leading to the necromancer's quest if they accept to meet him. I also believe it would be a nice touch if Vanikseth mentions that if you help him, he could credit you as his assistant in his breakthrough research. It could make the player all giddy to have helped discover something important (you may give the option to refuse if the player prefers to not have her name involved). He could also teach magic skills for those players that plan on starting a mage character later. 

I was going for the high price of a license is one of the reasons why it remains a poor hold and barely has any visitors, but I'm not stuck on that idea. I'll think about this one.

For future quests, maybe something related to the racial tensions in Windhelm with the Argonian Dock Workers would be nice.

I do have plans to bring in a little bit of the racial tensions, civil war issues (Windhelm already has some of this for the license quest if you have joined a side), and things like that. 

46 minutes ago, ruddycray said:

It's on my radar, but I am also a little wary of it just because I'm trying not to mess with vanilla stuff more than necessary, and giving the NPCs a place to sleep requires editing something. I'll probably do it eventually, but it most likely won't be until the mod is a little further along.

I don't think it needs to be anything fancy. Like, just making him stay at the Black Briar's place or the inn upstairs, without having to sleep. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 10:41 PM, ruddycray said:

They are scattered about. See the spoiler section for details. Since I don't know which 3 you've found, I'll just tell you all of them.

Hide contents

Tlatha at the Four Shields Tavern in Dragon Bridge

Siarra at the Winking Skeever in Solitude

Janilla at the Temple of the Divines in Solitude

Kella on the streets of Solitude near Proudspire Manor and the Bard's College

If you have trouble getting any of them to agree, you can also use the console and type coc SolitudeDibellasGarden and talk to Eliana Duerra to just hire the girls for 250 gold each. You will have to do something like coc SolitudeExterior01 to get back out again, though. The brothel isn't actually connected to the world (though it will be when I eventually put up 0.2 - that work is already done).

Had me running all around Solitude for more than an hour in search of the fourth girl. Was expecting all of them to be in Solitude itself.