How to customize prostitute outfits used by The Ancient Profession

IMPORTANT: These instructions require some comfort finding form IDs and editing JSON. The support thread for The Ancient Profession is not the best place to learn how to do either of those things.

The prostitute outfits used in the mod are controlled by a file named outfits.json in the directory named Data/SKSE/Plugins/The Ancient Profession in your Skyrim installation. If you want to change the outfits that are available, you need only edit this file.

There are 5 sets of outfits used by the mod for different purposes. These are:

• dgwhorebody: This set is used by most prostitutes in Dibella's Garden.
  • dgbartenderbody: This set is used by the prostitutes who are also bartenders in Dibella's Garden. For example, Ginna in Solitude or Matilde in Whiterun.
  • dgmadamebody: This set is used by madams in Dibella's Garden, such as Eliana Duerra in Solitude and Jerna in Whiterun.
  • dgmagebody: This set is used by mages in Dibella's Garden, such as Fasta in Solitude and Dovesi in Whiterun.
  • freewhorebody: This set is used by freelance prostitutes who are not associated with a brothel, such as Siarra in Solitude or Calia in Riverwood.

Because the Dibella's Garden prostitutes and freelance prostitutes use different lists, you are free to customize them differently. You might want to make DG whores wear elegant clothes while freelance whores wear lower class clothing. You might want there to be a large chance that DG whores will be naked, since they are in a private establishment, while freelance whores won't be, since they are in someone's inn. This does, of course, create a little more work if you want to add an outfit for both types of prostitute to use.

The "body" part of the names means it controls the clothes they are wearing and not shoes, for example. At this time, The Ancient Profession does not provide a way to customize shoes, though that may change in the future.

Controlling nudity chances

You can set the chance that one of the outfit sets will produce no outfit at all for the prostitute who is using it. This is controlled by the values in the int section of outfits.json.

"int":
{
    "dgwhorebodychancenaked": 5,
    "dgbartenderbodychancenaked": 5,
    "dgmadambodychancenaked": 0,
    "dgmagebodychancenaked": 5,
    "freewhorebodychancenaked": 0
}

The values shown here are the defaults and are straight percentage chances. So Dibella's Garden whores, bartenders, and mages all have a 5% chance that they will be naked. Dibella's Garden madams and freelance whores have no chance of being naked.

If you want all of the mages to always be naked, just change dgmagebodychancenaked to 100 and load your game. Note that this will not affect mages who have already been assigned an outfit. To recycle the outfit they are wearing if they have already been assigned one, you will need to select them in the console and type resurrect.

Adding outfits

There are three steps to adding a new outfit.

Step 1: Find the outfit you want to use and get its form ID

Of course, before you can add an outfit, you need to decide what outfit to add. For example purposes, assume that all of the outfits that the mod is currently using are taken from Open Monk Robes.esp, and you want to add a new one to Dibella's Garden mages that comes from Lazman_Outfits.esp.

You need to know the form ID of the outfit that you want to use. Note that outfits that are composed of lots of different individual pieces will not work. If you are trying to add an outfit that is broken into parts like "panties", "skirt", "top", and so on, the NPC will only wind up wearing one of those things if the item is selected.

You can find the form ID of an outfit through the console in game or by opening the mod in SSEEdit. If you are looking in-game, then you will need to be careful of ESL plugins, because the numbers shown in game may not be the ones you need to use to add the outfit. You can tell if something comes from an ESL plugin, because the form ID in game will start with FE.

The form ID is an 8-digit hexadecimal number, so it will have some combination of the numbers 0-9 and the letters A-F. When adding an outfit, you only need the last six of the digits and should not use the first two, which depend on your load order and can change.

For this example, we will add the outfit Lazman_outfits_09_mageapprentice to the DG mage set. The form ID of that outfit is 01000822. As already mentioned, the first two digits should not be used, so that leaves the form ID that we really need as 000822.

Step 2: If the plugin is not in the list for the outfit set, then add it

The plugins used by the outfit sets are found in the stringList section of outfits.json and look like this:

"stringList":
{
    "dgwhorebodyplugins": [ "Open Monk Robes.esp" ],
    "dgbartenderbodyplugins": [ "Open Monk Robes.esp" ],
    "dgmadambodyplugins": [ "Open Monk Robes.esp" ],
    "dgmagebodyplugins": [ "Open Monk Robes.esp", "Lazman_Outfits.esp" ],
    "freewhorebodyplugins": [ "Open Monk Robes.esp" ],
}

The values shown here are just examples and are not the full set of defaults. This means that all of the outfit sets will pull from a mod named Open Monk Robes.esp, while the dgmagebody set will also pull from Lazman_Outfits.esp. To add another plugin, just follow the example from dgmagebodyplugins here: add a comma, then put the name of the mod's ESP file in quotes.

If the mod you want to use an outfit from is already in the body set you want, you should not add it again. This will be important, because in step 2, you need to make sure you add to the existing list if there is one, or you will have to create a new one.

Step 3: Add the form IDs of the outfits you want to use

To do this step, you will need to know the form ID of the outfit you want to use. The format of the outfit lists looks like this:

"<outfit set> - <plugin name>": [ "<form ID>", "<form ID>" ]

IMPORTANT: If the outfit set and plugin you want are already in the list, don't add it again. Just add to the list that's already there.

For adding the outfit we want to add from Lazman_Outfits.esp, assuming that we are adding it as a new plugin, we just add another line to the file in the stringList section. The form ID we had was 01000822. Again, ignore the first two digits, leaving 000822. Since the first three numbers are all zeroes, we can also leave those off, so the number we need to use is just 822.

"dgmagebody - lazman_outfits.esp": [ "822" ]

I think it does matter that the plugin name is lowercase. The name of the actual plugin doesn't have to be lowercase, but I think the name of the value in outfits.json has to be.

IMPORTANT: If this line is not the last line in the stringList section, then it MUST have a comma at the end. If it is the last line in the stringList section, then it MUST NOT. These are JSON rules. I didn't make them.

After that, you should just be able to save the file and load your game, and the new outfit will be in the list to use. As with changing nudity options, this will not affect NPCs who have already been assigned an outfit. You should see your changes reflected in NPCs you are meeting for the first time, when you start a new game, or if you resurrect the NPC in the console.

Removing outfits

If you just want to remove one outfit, then remove its form ID from the outfit set list for the plugin it comes from. If that is the only outfit used from that plugin, it is best to just remove the plugin altogether. If you don't want a certain plugin's outfits to be used at all, remove that plugin from plugin list for that outfit set.

Edited by ruddycray
Instructions for how to add custom outfits
7 hours ago, nilead said:

Sounds really interesting. Is there hope for LE version, or is it goin to be SE exclusive?

I appologise if the question is rhetoric, i have very limited understanding of just how much work it is to convert between the two.

Short version: Not from me, but I'm 100% OK with it if someone wants to do an LE conversion, if it's possible, as long as it's just a conversion.

Longer version: I don't honestly know how much work it is, either. I will say that early on in my work on the mod I was bouncing between them, and I didn't see any problems, but I think modders have since discovered one or two things that are important to do when converting. I'm just not familiar with what those are.

I don't believe I'm using any SE-specific scripting features, and as far as the ones I'm aware of, I don't intend to. The mod as-is does not work with LE - I just tried it out, and the scripts don't run. It's possible that the mod might work if you just unpack the BSA, but I didn't try that, and that leads to the reason why I probably will not personally develop an LE version. The mod already takes a lot of time to develop and test, so I just don't see myself devoting time to repeating all of the testing on LE, too. If someone wants to unpack it and figure out how to get it working on LE, I have no problem with them putting up a conversion, as long as there aren't any features added or removed to make them get out of sync.

But if there are bugs that exist on LE that don't exist on SE, I probably won't spend any time to debug them. If the theoretical conversion creator wants to do so, I'd definitely consider incorporating fixes (as long as they work on the SE version), but I won't be developing them.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, GrimDoom said:

This looks very promising, i really hope you are planning continuing working on this, specially since this passed a bit unnoticed, not many are playing quest mods in SE it seems.

I haven't given up yet ?

Currently working on one of the skill-building ideas I mentioned in "Planned Features".

On 1/31/2020 at 2:54 AM, ruddycray said:

I haven't given up yet ?

Currently working on one of the skill-building ideas I mentioned in "Planned Features".

That's great, being playing with it and i'm loving it so far, the amount of content is bigger than many 0.5 mods, and it has less bugs as well, haven't found any significant one yet.

Quests are superb , it's like playing real vanilla quests but with more options, they really encourage exploration and roleplaying as a prostitute. My favorire is Morthal.

On 2/2/2020 at 12:09 PM, GrimDoom said:

That's great, being playing with it and i'm loving it so far, the amount of content is bigger than many 0.5 mods, and it has less bugs as well, haven't found any significant one yet.

Quests are superb , it's like playing real vanilla quests but with more options, they really encourage exploration and roleplaying as a prostitute. My favorire is Morthal.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. Glad you're enjoying it.

3 hours ago, zwdragonbone8314 said:

Hi, just a question. For Solitude, how can I find all 4 girls? I only manage to find three of them

They are scattered about. See the spoiler section for details. Since I don't know which 3 you've found, I'll just tell you all of them.

Spoiler

Tlatha at the Four Shields Tavern in Dragon Bridge

Siarra at the Winking Skeever in Solitude

Janilla at the Temple of the Divines in Solitude

Kella on the streets of Solitude near Proudspire Manor and the Bard's College

If you have trouble getting any of them to agree, you can also use the console and type coc SolitudeDibellasGarden and talk to Eliana Duerra to just hire the girls for 250 gold each. You will have to do something like coc SolitudeExterior01 to get back out again, though. The brothel isn't actually connected to the world (though it will be when I eventually put up 0.2 - that work is already done).

19 hours ago, ruddycray said:

They are scattered about. See the spoiler section for details. Since I don't know which 3 you've found, I'll just tell you all of them.

Reveal hidden contents

Tlatha at the Four Shields Tavern in Dragon Bridge

Siarra at the Winking Skeever in Solitude

Janilla at the Temple of the Divines in Solitude

Kella on the streets of Solitude near Proudspire Manor and the Bard's College

If you have trouble getting any of them to agree, you can also use the console and type coc SolitudeDibellasGarden and talk to Eliana Duerra to just hire the girls for 250 gold each. You will have to do something like coc SolitudeExterior01 to get back out again, though. The brothel isn't actually connected to the world (though it will be when I eventually put up 0.2 - that work is already done).

Hi, thanks for your quick response. I now continue this quest. However, after I engage sex as one of the girls during the party. The quest seems stuck there. No additional dialogue from other girls and the guests, and one of the girls, Kella, disappear. I load the previous save and try again, still got the same result. 

1 hour ago, zwdragonbone8314 said:

Hi, thanks for your quick response. I now continue this quest. However, after I engage sex as one of the girls during the party. The quest seems stuck there. No additional dialogue from other girls and the guests, and one of the girls, Kella, disappear. I load the previous save and try again, still got the same result. 

That's strange. Sorry you're having trouble. If you don't mind, could you answer a few things for me?

1. Is Kella leaving before the sex starts or just afterwards?

2. Did you choose to be with the Redguard ambassador specifically?

3. If yes to 2, does the problem happen if you pick a different ambassador?

4. If no to 2, are any of the other girls leaving before the sex starts?

5. If you go to the console and type getstage tapqsolitudelicense BEFORE the sex starts, what does it say?

6. What does getstage tapqsolitudelicense say AFTER the problem starts happening?

7. If you talk to Falk Firebeard after everyone disappears, is there dialogue for telling him that you entertained the ambassadors?

The quest is supposed to advance when each of the individual sex scenes has completed, so my best guess as to why the quest is getting stuck right now is that one of the scenes isn't happening correctly.

Answering the above questions would help me to debug the problem in case it happens for anyone else. If you just want to get past it, I suspect you could use the following console commands:

setobjectivecompleted tapqsolitudelicense 40 1
setobjectivedisplayed tapqsolitudelicense 50 1
setstage tapqsolitudelicense 50

On 2/11/2020 at 12:53 AM, ruddycray said:

That's strange. Sorry you're having trouble. If you don't mind, could you answer a few things for me?

1. Is Kella leaving before the sex starts or just afterwards?

2. Did you choose to be with the Redguard ambassador specifically?

3. If yes to 2, does the problem happen if you pick a different ambassador?

4. If no to 2, are any of the other girls leaving before the sex starts?

5. If you go to the console and type getstage tapqsolitudelicense BEFORE the sex starts, what does it say?

6. What does getstage tapqsolitudelicense say AFTER the problem starts happening?

7. If you talk to Falk Firebeard after everyone disappears, is there dialogue for telling him that you entertained the ambassadors?

The quest is supposed to advance when each of the individual sex scenes has completed, so my best guess as to why the quest is getting stuck right now is that one of the scenes isn't happening correctly.

Answering the above questions would help me to debug the problem in case it happens for anyone else. If you just want to get past it, I suspect you could use the following console commands:

setobjectivecompleted tapqsolitudelicense 40 1
setobjectivedisplayed tapqsolitudelicense 50 1
setstage tapqsolitudelicense 50

Yes, Kella did leave before the sex start and I did choose Redguard ambassador first.

11 hours ago, zwdragonbone8314 said:

Yes, Kella did leave before the sex start and I did choose Redguard ambassador first.

That will do it. That's annoying. I thought I'd fixed her before releasing 0.1. Damned AI packages. Pretty sure she's already fixed for real in the upcoming 0.2, but I'll make sure to test that again.

So you basically have two options here:

1. Hurry and start the sex before she manages to get out of the Blue Palace.

2. Select her in the console and use moveto player before you start the sex scene.

You could also try selecting her and using evp to see if it will make her realize she's supposed to stay put, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

If she isn't in the palace, then SexLab won't start the scene, and if it doesn't start the scene, the mod won't get the event saying that her scene completed., and if it doesn't get that, the quest won't advance.

If the Argonian ambassador teleported to Kella (which he might if you picked the Redguard ambassador), that could explain everyone suddenly disappearing. I assume you also got notifications about clean-up stuff happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy moly, this mod looks and sounds fantastic. I love the concept, especially if you are keeping immersion and consistency with the Skyrim setting at the core of your approach. I'm currently running Radiant Prostitution, but I'm going to keep an eye on this, and super excited to try it out once I've finished my current playthrough.

2 hours ago, Lugubrious0ne said:

Holy moly, this mod looks and sounds fantastic. I love the concept, especially if you are keeping immersion and consistency with the Skyrim setting at the core of your approach. I'm currently running Radiant Prostitution, but I'm going to keep an eye on this, and super excited to try it out once I've finished my current playthrough.

As much as I like sex mods, if I'm trying to actually play through the game, it always bothers me when they start feeling like they're grafted onto the game instead of part of it. I don't know if I'll always completely succeed at maintaining absolute immersion and consistency with the setting, but that is always my goal. Hope you enjoy the mod when you get around to trying it :)

1 hour ago, ruddycray said:

As much as I like sex mods, if I'm trying to actually play through the game, it always bothers me when they start feeling like they're grafted onto the game instead of part of it. I don't know if I'll always completely succeed at maintaining absolute immersion and consistency with the setting, but that is always my goal. Hope you enjoy the mod when you get around to trying it :)

Make a checklist of what you want to achieve with the mod. Take the idea from others, but remember it is your own brain child. Opinions will come which will clash with your goals, but you need to carry on to get all the lines in your checklist ticked first. After that try to implement what others want. I am following this thread. Good luck in your endeavor.

I'm having a possible compatibility issue with the Entertain the Stormcloak Soldiers lead-in as an unaffiliated character trying to get licensed in Windhelm.  Specifically, only one soldier in the camp has the proper dialogue option, leaving it stuck at 1 of 3.

Can I get the name of the quest to try and check it with console commands?

3 hours ago, Imperfected said:

I'm having a possible compatibility issue with the Entertain the Stormcloak Soldiers lead-in as an unaffiliated character trying to get licensed in Windhelm.  Specifically, only one soldier in the camp has the proper dialogue option, leaving it stuck at 1 of 3.

Can I get the name of the quest to try and check it with console commands?

Sure, it's a combo of TAPQWindhelmLicense and TAPQWindhelmLicenseSub1.

Also, maybe too much information, but the conditions on the solicitation dialogue are in the spoiler section:

Spoiler

IsSpellTarget TAPClientCooldownPotion == 0 AND

GetIsEditorLocation MilitaryCampWhiterunSonsLocation == 1 AND

GetPCIsSex Female == 1 AND

GetStage TAPQWindhelmLicense == 110 OR

GetStage TAPQWindhelmLicense == 120 AND

GetIsID CWFortSoldierSonsWounded == 0 AND

GetInFaction CWSonsFactionNPC == 1

In plainer English:

You didn't just fuck this guy AND
His game start location is the Whiterun Stormcloak Camp AND

Your character is female AND

You've fucked Hjornskar and need to fuck 3 guys OR

You've fucked 3 guys and want to keep fucking AND

This guy isn't a wounded soldier AND

This guy is in the CWSonsFactionNPC faction (editor ID 1c9fd)

Do you by chance have a mod that adds more soldiers or something? Something that jumps out at me in these conditions that could break in the right conditions is that if a mod adds more soldiers but doesn't put them directly in the camp (it moves them to the camp from somewhere else), the soldier's "editor location" won't be the camp, and he won't have the dialogue. I should probably check if the soldier's "current" location is the camp instead.