(v1.4.3) Mod Organizer 2 & Other tools - From zero to "Hey Sexlab is working!"

2 hours ago, HD_Anubis said:

Selected the SSE in the mod organizer and clicked run

You selected what? The executable you use to start the game should be SKSE, no other executable should be used.

Remembered I wanted to install "daughters of coldharbour" found here 

That mod states Racecompatibility as a requirement, did you install it? If not that could be the cause for crashing while trying to start the game with that mod. If it crashes with Racecompatibility I'm not sure, I don't use that mod so I can't say too much about it really.

I noticed I had a alert in the exclamation box in the top right corner,  check it it tells me the papyrus mod wasn't up to date, so I downloaded that update, installed that mod and deleted the previous version.  Alert went away but still, mod organizer won't launch skyrim. 

Papyrus what? There is PapyrusUtil and Papyrus Extender. I have both in the latest version and have no issues. Which SKSE version are you using? There have been some recent updates and I just finished updating some instructions to recommend peopleo to stay in SKSE 2.0.17 (if you're in SKSE 2.0.18 or 2.0.19 I recommend you to check step 4.2 and 5.1, instructions are in bold red letters).

and the mod organizer in the middle right hand side of mod organizer

I'm not sure I understand this part. But yes, whenever you add a mod you're supposed to sort your loadorder using LOOT. By default newly added mods will be loaded at the bottom (in both the left and right panel). You must move your mods to a proper place otherwise you'll likely get conflicts (in both loadorder and in the left panel).

56 minutes ago, dontknowdontcaredontask said:

mod organizer won't launch skyrim. 

you mention you ran LOOT, but the problem you're having seems eerily familiar to me. as mentioned in the above post, Racecompatibility is a required MOD for the Daughters of Coldharbour Mod. you need to verify when you download new mods to test out, the main page of those Nexus mods have a requirement section, read them and always install any required mods that you don't already have, and more importantly, that they are SSE and LE.

the other thing too, after you ran LOOT, did you remember to also run FNIS ? quite often when the game won't load and seems to hang it's due to FNIS not being run, or a conflict with mod versions.

as dontknowdontcaredontask states in the tutorial, you need to run LOOT and FNIS each time you install new mods prior to running the game using the SKSE shortcut in the MO2 menu.

2 hours ago, dontknowdontcaredontask said:

You selected what? The executable you use to start the game should be SKSE, no other executable should be used.

That mod states Racecompatibility as a requirement, did you install it? If not that could be the cause for crashing while trying to start the game with that mod. If it crashes with Racecompatibility I'm not sure really, I don't use that mod so I can't say too much about it really.

Papyrus what? There is PapyrusUtil and Papyrus Extender. I have both in the latest version and have no issues. Which SKSE version are you using? There have been some recent updates and I just finished updating some instructions to recommend peopleo to stay in SKSE 2.0.17 (if you're in SKSE 2.0.18 or 2.0.19 I recommend you to check step 4.2 and 5.1, instructions are in bold red letters).

I'm not sure I understand this part. But yes, whenever you add a mod you're supposed to sort your loadorder using LOOT. By default newly added mods will be loaded at the bottom (in both the left and right panel). You must move your mods to a proper place otherwise you'll likely get conflicts (in both loadorder and in the left panel).

Yup.. that was my problem. I used "Skyrim SE" to start it.. not SKSE.. in my only defense, I'm been working on this tutorial for over a month. Not that it's difficult to understand, it's a fantasticly written one. Even when I went to question something, the answer was right there in ( )'s. I just get overwhelmed with some of it and took breaks lol. Thank you for the help!

btw, was reading about some issues that people are having with the newest SKSE and UIExtentions. something about the mouse hover not working with the wheel menus. saw this earlier on Nexus. so looks like this newer version is still buggy for now. i'm sticking on v2.00.17 still until i read otherwise lol

On 8/10/2020 at 5:35 PM, YojimboRatchet said:

btw, was reading about some issues that people are having with the newest SKSE and UIExtentions. something about the mouse hover not working with the wheel menus. saw this earlier on Nexus. so looks like this newer version is still buggy for now. i'm sticking on v2.00.17 still until i read otherwise lol

Yes.

2.0.18 had issues with custom menu controls (most common example is mods that rely on the menus from UI Extensions).

2.019 fixes that, but it seems that morphs don't work after a while.

I went back to 2.0.17 and made some temporal changes to the instructions so people installs/stays in 2.0.17 (and stays in Racemenu 0.4.12 too, as .13 and .14 versions are for the updated SKSE, I'm not aware of other mods that require an old version).

On step 10.2 when I update SexLab button in game, it loads most everything pretty quickly, but then the last thing the logged to the console is "RegisterSlots() Creature: Creatures not enabled, skipping registration". It just hangs after that. I do see that FNIS Creature Pack (7.0+) has one of the blue question marks by it, but not sure what to do about it. I left out 2 optional plugins, JContainers and Tempered Skin for Males.

Hey guys I want to recognize and appreciate the hard work and crazy diligence it takes to 1) build these guides with testing for every update cycle, 2) put things in laymans terms, and 3) moderating and helping those of us that are new to the scene ?. This alone deserves a Major Kudos and warm-hearted fist-bump.

Thank you and please keep up the awesome job!!!

9 hours ago, Jessie8 said:

On step 10.2 when I update SexLab button in game, it loads most everything pretty quickly, but then the last thing the logged to the console is "RegisterSlots() Creature: Creatures not enabled, skipping registration". It just hangs after that. I do see that FNIS Creature Pack (7.0+) has one of the blue question marks by it, but not sure what to do about it.

If you don't get the Sexlab - Sexlab version - Ready! message try completing the intro sequence first (if you're using Alternate Start: talk to the statue, pick your start and use the bed to appear in your start location). That's usually enough to complete the installation (it happens often when I use Skyrim Unbound to start new games, with Alternate Start I didn't had this issue so I didn't consider including this info, I'll add it for safe measure). And about the "Creatures not enabled, skipping registration", Sexlab by default comes with Creature animations disabled, you have to enable them in the MCM after installing it in game. 

9 hours ago, Jessie8 said:

I left out 2 optional plugins, JContainers and Tempered Skin for Males.

Note that Jcontainers is required for SL Anim Loader.. It's fine if you just want the basic set of animations from Sexlab, but  if you don't have it the MCM for SLAL won't work and any animation packs won't be used in game.

4 hours ago, hfran said:

Thank you and please keep up the awesome job!!!

Thanks for the kind words. I did this because I felt people didn't had a good and simple starting point. And so far it seems useful to some people around here, so great.

Oh, hm, it seems I just had to leave the menu and move a bit for the message to show up. I did miss JContainers and still picked up the animation loader. I will try continuing the test a bit later. Thanks for the guide! It reminds me of my motto as a developer. It's ok to assume your reader is stupid if it's for the purpose of writing very clear instructions. Just about everything is written out here. Just wish work was like that!

3 hours ago, Jessie8 said:

Oh, hm, it seems I just had to leave the menu and move a bit for the message to show up. I did miss JContainers and still picked up the animation loader. I will try continuing the test a bit later.

Cool. You'll need to either install jcontainers or forget about SLAL. Let me know if you find other issues (the recent SKSE updates has kept me on my toes, but I think I've got everything covered in the guide already).

I'm setting up to do a fresh install.

Question:

Will these instances of C++ cause possible issues? It looks like its going to take a factory reset and reinstall of all my hardware to get rid of them. My MSI drivers seem to be making use of all of them.

screenshot20_08_13.jpg

7 hours ago, hfran said:

Question:

Will these instances of C++ cause possible issues? It looks like its going to take a factory reset and reinstall of all my hardware to get rid of them. My MSI drivers seem to be making use of all of them.

No, I have a similar collection. The more the merrier, they don't conflict with each other and if a program requires an specific release (year) you'll be already covered in most cases. For Skyrim SE, Steam will install/update any required software like the M. c++ redis., for MO2 you need only 1 additional redis. and it's automatically installed if you use the installer version of MO2.

Got through the guide to 10.4 test last night. Only one major issue and it was on my end. Dont know if the smaller issues need to be addressed immediately so i listed them anyway. For the most part, everything functions as intended ?.

i'm trying to work through these myself if i can and currently editing my post here as i find fixes. Lemme know if i can do anything else with this to make it easier to read through more quickly 

Guide Step 10

Problem:  game had top-left quadrant expanded to fit entire screen (resolution issue). Was not present in previous test  (step 1.2?)

Fixes Tried:  -reset nvidia control panel to factory defaults. issue remained

-Installed GeForce Experience (GE). Updated drivers. restarted computer. issue remained.

-(in GE) "favorited" skyrim. found and used "optimize" button for skyrim. issue remained

-(in GE) in Skyrim Custom Settings, resolution was set to "max" (way beyond 1080p). set to 1080p. issue remained

Resolution:  -(in GE) de-"optimized" Skyrim. issue resolved

Problem: now intermittently, bottom of mo2 window is partially blocked/hidden behind taskbar (mo2 window is WAY too big! and having

trouble finding settings in mo2 or windows to shrink)

Resolution: (Windows 10) Display Settings/Scale and Layout/ "Change the Size of Text, Apps, and Other Items" i'm an idiot

Guide Step 10.4 Commence pixel-porking... Bwahaha!!! (LAL @Windpeak Inn)

Problems: -Fornication intermittently asks for bed. dependant upon walking distance to bed.

-default 3rd person camera movements disabled/hindered on bed resolved itself?

-scrollwheel zoom intervals vary wildly in 3rd person after using bed. doing another fornication w/o bed seems to remedy this.

-strap-on leg straps disappear inside leg cylinders during thrust no solution with current build

-no facial expressions during fornication except blinking but expressions present during talking and idle. no solution just glitchy

-male member too short to penetrate in some scenes

-fnis not detecting slal or slal packs (thank you dontknowdontcaredontask for catching this)

-during install, i dragged and dropped all loverslabs mods (except sos) from filemanager to the

"downloads tab" of the right-sided window in mo2. Would that cause this?)

just did the thing with the link by accident because i was too lazy to type ? 

FNISlog20_08_14.txt

5 hours ago, hfran said:

i'm going to try to work through these myself if i can. Should i edit or repost as i find fixes/get stumped?

I prefer editing the same reply, unless there are new comments in the thread. But do as you think is better.

5 hours ago, hfran said:

Problem:  game had top-left quadrant expanded to fit entire screen (resolution issue). Was not present in previous test  (step 1.2?)

Fixes Tried:  -reset nvidia control panel to factory defaults. issue remained

-Installed GeForce Experience (GE). Updated drivers. restarted computer. issue remained.

-(in GE) "favorited" skyrim. found and used "optimize" button for skyrim. issue remained

-(in GE) in Skyrim Custom Settings, resolution was set to "max" (way beyond 1080p). set to 1080p. issue remained

Resolution:  -(in GE) de-"optimized" Skyrim. issue resolved

Taking notes... I uninstalled GE a long time ago after I had a nasty experience with driver updates and performance. Now I do manual installs only.

5 hours ago, hfran said:

Problem: now intermittently, bottom of mo2 window is partially blocked/hidden behind taskbar (mo2 window is WAY too big! and having

trouble finding settings in mo2 or windows to shrink)

Resolution: (Windows 10) Display Settings/Scale and Layout/ "Change the Size of Text, Apps, and Other Items" i'm an idiot

I've never had this issue, do you play in 2k-4k resolution or ultra wide resolutions?

5 hours ago, hfran said:

Commence pixel-porking... Bwahaha!!! (LAL @Windpeak Inn)

Problems: -Fornication intermittently asks for bed

-default 3rd person camera movements disabled/hindered on bed

-scrollwheel zoom intervals vary wildly in 3rd person after using bed. doing another fornication w/o bed seems to remedy this

-strap-on leg straps disappear inside leg cylinders during thrust (bodyslide setting?)

-no facial expressions during fornication (fnis setting?)

• Ask for bed: there is a setting to disable this prompt in the second tab of the Sexlab MCM.
  • Controls are disabled for the most part during an animation. You can enable free cam with a hotkey (num key 3 by default) which will allow you to move the cam freely around your character. WASD + mouse to adjust angles, it's a bit weird to control at first but it works well when you get used to it.
  • I haven't seen this, but usually when an animation ends abruptly (spamming space to advance stages) or the animation is interrupted (being attacked, actor killed, other mods triggering dialogue, etc.) your controls will be disabled/weird. Using any piece of furniture should solve most issues. I usually avoid beds for the animations.
  • default strap-ons have no BodySlide files, so these items won't fit most bodies without clipping. There are some BS files or alternate strap-ons for other body types. It would be a matter of finding them and integrate them in your game.
  • Facial expressions are a bit wonky even with mods to fix it. It can be working fine and after a while it will get stuck. Usually loading a save or after another mod attempts to change facial expressions it will return to normal and work as intended. Facial expressions have no relation with FNIS, but:
  • your FNIS log seems okay, it's detecting the default animations from Sexlab (so no SLAL or SLAL packs installed/detected).

your FNIS log seems okay, it's detecting the default animations from Sexlab (so no SLAL or SLAL packs installed/detected).

whoa good catch! i was about to move on in the guide. I have animation loader and milky pack installed!!!

i was just getting ready to finish your guide. SOO glad i saw your post

i have a 70" 1080p monitor so im stuck in 1080p.  i know right?

4 hours ago, hfran said:

i have a 70" 1080p monitor so im stuck in 1080p.  i know right?

Ah I see. I asked in case you were using higher res. as I'm still playing at 1080 and haven't had these issues. Granted, I avoid most overlays and programs running in the background while playing (like GE or even Steam overlay/cloud). Your system specs are really good tho, mine is a bit dated by now, but it will serve me well to complete my game backlog... it never ends.

So anyways, once you finish the last step you can go around the website and explore for mods you want to use. Apply what you've learned here and try to keep things smooth in MO (no warnings, no files in Overwrite, organized modlist/loadorder, etc.) That way you'll have a good basis to make other mods work.

Havent progressed past 10.4. Right now im just having fun leveling a character. I unchecked the bed box. Also need input on issue you found.

Guide Step 10.4

Problem: -FNIS not detecting SLAL or SLAL Packs. Both appear in the MCM Menu, tho (during install, i dragged and dropped all loverslabs

mods (except sos) from filemanager to the "downloads tab" of the right-sided window in mo2. Would that cause this?)

Fixes Tried: -None yet. Unsure what my possible options are or what other consequences those options might have. im already on my third clean

install since i built this computer 3 mos ago and am wary of another repeat

Problem: -when enchanting multiple daggers to level up enchanting, skyui doesnt remember my choices like the native menu but instead forces

me to reselect each component every time. What are the consequences of disabling skyui mod in mo2 window while i level?

7 hours ago, hfran said:

Problem: -FNIS not detecting SLAL or SLAL Packs. Both appear in the MCM Menu, tho

Do you have Jcontainers installed? Which animation packs did you install? A screenshot of your MO showing these mods in the left/right panel would help here.

7 hours ago, hfran said:

(during install, i dragged and dropped all loverslabs

mods (except sos) from filemanager to the "downloads tab" of the right-sided window in mo2. Would that cause this?)

That's just an extra step IMO, harmless but not of much use. You can use the button to install mods from local files and point it to where your downloads are. But moving mods from an external folder to MO downloads shouldn't cause any issues, given that you complete the installation for these mods as usual.

7 hours ago, hfran said:

Problem: -when enchanting multiple daggers to level up enchanting, skyui doesnt remember my choices like the native menu but instead forces

me to reselect each component every time.

Hmm this is something I haven't experience, I think due to a mod I've used for a while. There is also a mod to disable the SkyUI menus but keep other SkyUI functions (like MCM). Don't disable or remove SkyUI from MO, it's required so you can access the MCM and other functions from it, which other mods will expect  you to do.

• Yes I'm sure - simple SKSE plugin (no esp/esm to load, just a dll file) will remove most prompts like the craft confirmation you get for each item, with this you can press Craft without needing to accept messages, so you can spam Craft (default hotkey is R, right?) and the list shouldn't move (as long as you have all the materials for crafting the item you want).
  • Hide SkyUI - this mod restores the vanilla menus in case you want that, make sure you follow the instructions in its description (disabling menu warnings) and load it after SkyUI in the left panel.

Your choice, I can't see myself playing with vanilla menus so I don't use the second mod. Yes I'm sure is part of my modlist since its release. See what's best for you.

Screenshot of current mo2.

Installed/tweaked everything you mentioned (optional as well) in guide up to 10.4 as instructed with very little variance initiated.

Variances from guide i initiated: -dragging/dropping as mentioned above

-only one slal pack instead of two

-installed fnis spells according to preceding method by merging

-skipped sse edit

All prerequisites and back-checks you mentioned were dead-on as expected. 

I probably made a small noob mistake somewhere without realizing. Something basic that everyone else knows automatically

2054420412_mo2guide10_4.jpg.2e6992d6c5ec97361d07042db42ee9ef.jpg

Otherwise, everything else is crazy-fun !!!? 

Surprise-ambushed by ANGRY horde of Forsworn?...  Freaky-Facepaint Orgy!!! ? Dude i love this Mod!!!

Just hate looking at naked dead people...

Everything seems okay (except you have stuff in Overwrite, check what it is and move it out). But going back to the FNIS log you uploaded yesterday, I see the milky animation pack. Or now it isn't appearing in FNIS?

image.png.8e90c117c37428b05f364de260793bd2.png

Are you registering that in the SLAL MCM? (in General Options "Enable all" then "Register all").

Edit: also take into account that even if the animations are added, as you're using Matchmaker to start scenes, the animations used are totally random. It may take a while to see them in game. There are other mods that offer more control over which animations are used or to select them manually, etc. It's just a matter of exploring the other mods available.

everything is currently as you see it, fnis from yesterday included, and all animations registered.

my mistake. no worries. milky pack was (and is) registered and functioning. by reading your previous post, i thought i was missing something ?

also, i have a request when you get time, can you spell out (clarify) in the guide how to move "overwrite" files to their respective mods? Im still unsure about the ins and outs of "overwrite" files

-how do you know which mod they came from?

-which folder within the mod do they go into? how do i figure this out on my own for future mods?

-when do i overwrite/replace files already in mod folder? when do i not? why?

-when i create an empty "log, ini, json, txt, etc" mod, (assuming i had an empty "overwrite" before starting game and havent run any

executeables) can i just open "overwrite" and drag/drop all folders/files directly into newly created mod?

-do they have to be sorted? how?

-what file structure do they have to match?

thank you again ? 

11 hours ago, hfran said:

Problem: -FNIS not detecting SLAL or SLAL Packs. Both appear in the MCM Menu, tho (during install, i dragged and dropped all loverslabs

Check to make sure you moved the actual files rather than just copying links to them.

6 hours ago, hfran said:

-how do you know which mod they came from?

You'll know because usually the files will have a name related to the mod. This is mostly the case of ini and log files, for example in step 11, after playing for a while with mods you'll generate the config file from Fuz Ro Doh, which generates the following file in Overwrite "...\SKSE\Plugins\Fuz Ro D'oh.ini". So simply by looking at the content of Overwrite, expanding the SKSE/Plugins file you'll find the file.

Other files are generated after using a tool in particular. So as long as you keep an empty Overwrite, anything in there after using a program (like Bodyslide, SSE Edit, FNIS, etc.) will be the content you generated in that program. What to do with these files should be covered in the steps for these tools.

-which folder within the mod do they go into? how do i figure this out on my own for future mods?

Drag&drop is enough (as shown in step 11.1B, that SKSE folder contains the Plugins\Fuz Ro D'oh.ini, moving it to the Fuz Ro Doh mod in the left panel will preserve the proper folder structure). You should move the files with all the folders containing said file, placing the ini file in the Fuz Ro Doh mod in the left panel won't work, you have to keep the SKSE/Plugins folders to keep a proper file path.

-when do i overwrite/replace files already in mod folder? when do i not? why?

If a file ends up in the Overwrite is because it wasn't originally in the mod folder. I haven't seen a case where I had to replace a mod file with some file from Overwrite. But if you find such case let me know (it might be something I haven't taken into account or some weird scenario, I genuinely haven't seen this).

6 hours ago, hfran said:

-when i create an empty "log, ini, json, txt, etc" mod, (assuming i had an empty "overwrite" before starting game and havent run any

executeables) can i just open "overwrite" and drag/drop all folders/files directly into newly created mod?

If you check the contents of Overwrite and they're just ini and log/txt files sure. If you start the game with an empty Overwrite and close the game with something in Overwrite, it surely will be a config or log file from the mods you use. So yeah, simply move them to the log and ini files mod if you created such mod in step 11.1A. Otherwise manually separate the files (keeping the necessary folders) and move them where they belong. 

-do they have to be sorted? how?

Not really. Keeping all the config and log files from several mods into a single mod isn't an issue. Just keep in mind what's in there in case you need to change/remove these files (for example if you need to edit or delete some setting inside the ini files from some mod).

-what file structure do they have to match?

As I wrote above, keep the same folders that are generated with the files, don't create additional folders or delete folders when you move them to their mods or to the different mods you can create to store them.