Jump to content
KoolHndLuke

Opinions of The Witcher Series on Netflix?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

But of course, a bigger budget can make all the difference.

True, but imo it is more about picking the right person for the job. They selected very poorly when it comes to who was put in charge of music production. All I can think is they were very convincing in the interview process but failed miserably at executing the vision they shared withthe show runners.

 

I've seen lots of low budget shows and games where the music is by far the best aspect of the show. For this Witcher series, whatever the person's goal was or inspiration, it was just shit imo.

 

But maybe I am being too hard on them, maybe the blame lies more with the show runners and what they were asking for, but whatever the reason the music makes me not want to rewatch the show really at all, once was enough.

Link to post
10 hours ago, Nessa said:
  • Yen using a sword at all instead of magic: #(*$&#(*$&!?
  •  

I thought that was just really stupid. Worse is that she looked proficient with it at all- which it is just utter garbage since she is a Sorceress- like you point out- that has probably never trained with a sword in her whole life since it is considered a crude instrument by almost all mages. Probably going for a Gandalf meme there.:classic_blink:

Image result for gandalf sword meme"

Link to post
2 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I thought that was just really stupid. Worse is that she looked proficient with it at all- which it is just utter garbage since she is a Sorceress- like you point out- that has probably never trained with a sword in her whole life since it is considered a crude instrument by almost all mages. Probably going for a Gandalf meme there.:classic_blink:

Image result for gandalf sword meme"

I don't believe she was particularly good with the sword.. not Knight etc level good.  She would be exposed to such things being at a court and since she isn't a normal woman (duties etc) might be allowed to, Combined with centuries of life.. (in the series ) she could pick up some tricks and such.  However, I might not have paid that much attention to that. By the time she started swinging a sword around in any reasonable level.. I had started to get tuned out of the series and was just watching it (not trying to see it as the game etc)

 

If there was a scene etc where she was really dam good. Solder level good or knight level for that matter, In the minds of those that read this... please let me know the episode. I will re watch it.

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I thought that was just really stupid. Worse is that she looked proficient with it at all- which it is just utter garbage since she is a Sorceress- like you point out- that has probably never trained with a sword in her whole life since it is considered a crude instrument by almost all mages. Probably going for a Gandalf meme there.:classic_blink:

Image result for gandalf sword meme"

I thought it was particularly weird given she just time stopped a bunch of dwarves with a flick of the wrist just before the fight. I was fully expecting Geralt to get ready to kill stuff and then she goes and magics them all. That would have been funny and less work for the show even. But nooo... suddenly Yen is a warrioress and we get a cringy mid swing kiss. 🤦‍♀️ (And naturally a scene later she's mad at him. 🤣 )

 

Really that whole episode was bad. It stands out as the worst to me. There are issues in other episodes but never were so many concentrated into one spot. I wonder if the writer on that one was different?

Link to post
21 hours ago, Nessa said:

I thought it was particularly weird given she just time stopped a bunch of dwarves with a flick of the wrist just before the fight. I was fully expecting Geralt to get ready to kill stuff and then she goes and magics them all. That would have been funny and less work for the show even. But nooo... suddenly Yen is a warrioress and we get a cringy mid swing kiss. 🤦‍♀️ (And naturally a scene later she's mad at him. 🤣 )

 

Really that whole episode was bad. It stands out as the worst to me. There are issues in other episodes but never were so many concentrated into one spot. I wonder if the writer on that one was different?

I don't remember that scene.  Then again I don't remember a lot of the episodes... lol.  If it was the one with the Dragon etc.. then if she was fighting them with swords and shit.. that shouldn't have happened. They were experienced adventurers.

Link to post
12 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

I don't remember that scene.  Then again I don't remember a lot of the episodes... lol.  If it was the one with the Dragon etc.. then if she was fighting them with swords and shit.. that shouldn't have happened. They were experienced adventurers.

You forgot the mid-fight kiss!? 🤣 That episode only got worse on the second viewing. I can understand tuning out at that point. 😀

Link to post
8 hours ago, Nessa said:

You forgot the mid-fight kiss!? 🤣 That episode only got worse on the second viewing. I can understand tuning out at that point. 😀

I can forgive a might fight kiss etc.. (writer getting fancy etc etc) however, I can't forgive her being as capable as any seasoned warrior much less on par as Garelt. When it comes to sword play, fighting etc.

 

I remember they fought (at least I do lol) after the scene where he meets her and Dandalion thinks they died .. that was play fight on Geralt part.  I understand there will be parts where he doesn't quite fight as good as he could as he is holding back (often) from fully engaging against humans and such.

Link to post
1 hour ago, RitualClarity said:

I can forgive a might fight kiss etc.. (writer getting fancy etc etc) however, I can't forgive her being as capable as any seasoned warrior much less on par as Garelt. When it comes to sword play, fighting etc.

 

I remember they fought (at least I do lol) after the scene where he meets her and Dandalion thinks they died .. that was play fight on Geralt part.  I understand there will be parts where he doesn't quite fight as good as he could as he is holding back (often) from fully engaging against humans and such.

It just struck me as very very weird. Most of the mages tend to be rather dismissive of swordplay in the show. Even to that one mage that learned how to fight. (Watched it twice and I still don't know his name!) And here she is picking up a... common sword? Like some ... dirty non-magical commoner!? 😀 I'd have expected her to turn up her nose at such a vulgar idea. And then mind control whomever was dumb enough to suggest it. 🤣 Earlier in the show she had a mind control thing going on for a whole town! (That was also rather silly but I digress.)

 

So, she's got super magic mind control, she can time stop people with little to no effort and she can even burn up a whole army if she's annoyed enough. I can buy all of those things. But it falls apart when she's weirdly doing the Witcher/Matrix fight stuff without using magic. How? Why? If she magicked herself into a fantastic warrior why not just fry them all and be done with it?

 

Of course right after that episode she goes back to being Ms. Sorceress Superpower. Again fine, but that whole sword scene was just dumb.

Link to post

I take issue with Fringilla Vigo as Geralt hooks up with her after Yen leaves him in the novels. And he hooks up with her because she looks and acts similar to Yen. This Fringilla meets neither of those perquisites. And Triss looks too old. And of course there's the Nilfgaardian armor but they said they'll correct that next season. But other than that, it's great.

Link to post

I forgot the person as well.  He was able to summon a magical sword.. remember he kept on summoning it and using it.. until he was defeated .. it took his power. No idea of how it worked it might have made it possible for him to be a decent sword fighter. D&D and many such stories have such a story line.

 

Sword usage isn't something impossible for her to learn and become ... fair against farmers and stuff. Perhaps even after centuries ... a low level solder. but not great.

 

With the series, it seemed as if they took a few seconds or more under some cases to cast those devastating spells. Time in a face to face battle wasn't really possible. Remember they caught mage users and imprisoned them with special metal.  I've always been of the mind with the story (series, book, game) that the witcher was designed for such quick turns and actions. He had limited spell capacity but they were devastatingly fast to cast. Something regular mages didn't have. They had more tools and such per say, but it took longer to get them to a useful state. Witchers were designed as perfect killing machines after all.

 

In various stories I have read the mages (or whatever they are called that fill the same spot) are extremely capable and destructive if they desired but are weak to quick frontal attacks. Some of the stories even had them get some level of competence at sword and basic fighting styles.  However, I don't remember any of the extremely powerful mages being any more than novices with swords or other weapons and even military styled fighting (for war) beyond what they could do and how best to use their magics... Which I was satisfied with the war part. One of the few that I felt was well done (even with some sword usage.)

Link to post
6 minutes ago, Azzhat said:

I take issue with Fringilla Vigo as Geralt hooks up with her after Yen leaves him in the novels. And he hooks up with her because she looks and acts similar to Yen. This Fringilla meets neither of those perquisites. And Triss looks too old. And of course there's the Nilfgaardian armor but they said they'll correct that next season. But other than that, it's great.

Wasn't she suppose to be a lesbian.. at least strongly leaning?

Or did I get her confused with another character (I believe she was the one that killed t he emperor in the game)

 

 

Link to post
2 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Wasn't she suppose to be a lesbian.. at least strongly leaning?

Or did I get her confused with another character (I believe she was the one that killed t he emperor in the game)

 

 

You're thinking Phillipa Eilhart. And no, she's not a lesbian, like most users of magic, she goes both ways.

Link to post
On 12/29/2019 at 5:47 PM, 27X said:

Winny. You're deliberately avoiding that none of your answer is true. None. CDPR offered Sapkowski royalties or a flat fee. He refused. In writing. As delivered by a lawyer. The end. He fucked himself. He hates video games. That's it, that's all.

I've been reading here (this here thread) the guy was liberal-leaning, pseudoprogressive, and hates videogames. maybe he wears too much red or kicks his dog too?

I don't subscribe to the broadcaster but I loved witcher 3.

I think I'd hate the movie, but I loved the game, and not being (also, this here thread) a pedo or a loser I don't know a whole lot else about the subject.

Sorry.

But is there a scene in the movie where he shoots an arrow at an oversized dragon-type bird? That would have been a good scene to have.

Does he stop in at the barber to cut his hair every so often?

Is Triss the bitch I imagine her to be or was I projecting too much?

Did they get to that boat high up on a hill and cuddle yet?

That was a memorable game-scene.

Yennifer for pseudo-progressive moneygrubbing liberal-leaning game players FTW

Link to post
12 hours ago, Azzhat said:

And Triss looks too old.

The other Sorceresses did always sort of snicker at Triss behind her back for her lack of ambition and naive black/white moralism. But, any criticism they might have had was tempered with their acknowledgement of her radiant beauty. Now they can laugh at her apparently lazy attitude toward her appearance as well. :classic_tongue:

Link to post
11 hours ago, 2dk2c.2 said:

I've been reading here (this here thread) the guy was liberal-leaning, pseudoprogressive, and hates videogames. maybe he wears too much red or kicks his dog too?

I don't subscribe to the broadcaster but I loved witcher 3.

I think I'd hate the movie, but I loved the game, and not being (also, this here thread) a pedo or a loser I don't know a whole lot else about the subject.

Sorry.

But is there a scene in the movie where he shoots an arrow at an oversized dragon-type bird? That would have been a good scene to have.

Does he stop in at the barber to cut his hair every so often?

Is Triss the bitch I imagine her to be or was I projecting too much?

Did they get to that boat high up on a hill and cuddle yet?

That was a memorable game-scene.

Yennifer for pseudo-progressive moneygrubbing liberal-leaning game players FTW

Much easier to simply watch and see yourself, and all sorceress are bitches by both design and circumstance, that's the world they live in, people whom aren't bitches tend not to live very long in most circles.

 

The books are much more direct about the truth and most of the changes are to make it mass audience palatable. Triss is the biggest hit on the series by far, she's nothing like either the games or books. RPG Penile Compensation Bow and "I'm on a boat" will most likely be second season.

Link to post
17 hours ago, Azzhat said:

You're thinking Phillipa Eilhart. And no, she's not a lesbian, like most users of magic, she goes both ways.

Ah, yes... However, I felt a strong butch, lesibian vibe from here. Like.. cut your balls off vibe.. however, she was powerful and she has been so seriously fucked with mostly by men of power ... so she could have been one of the biggest sweet hearts if you managed to get through that exterior... :D I really liked here after Jen and Triss.. she was my favorite.

9 hours ago, 2dk2c.2 said:

I've been reading here (this here thread) the guy was liberal-leaning, pseudoprogressive, and hates videogames. maybe he wears too much red or kicks his dog too?

I don't subscribe to the broadcaster but I loved witcher 3.

I think I'd hate the movie, but I loved the game, and not being (also, this here thread) a pedo or a loser I don't know a whole lot else about the subject.

Sorry.

But is there a scene in the movie where he shoots an arrow at an oversized dragon-type bird? That would have been a good scene to have.

Does he stop in at the barber to cut his hair every so often?

Is Triss the bitch I imagine her to be or was I projecting too much?

Did they get to that boat high up on a hill and cuddle yet?

That was a memorable game-scene.

Yennifer for pseudo-progressive moneygrubbing liberal-leaning game players FTW

I really liked the game as well. I do have the subscription.  I believe the series is really different/off from the game.  If someone loves the game, I would be worried they would be greatly disappointed in the series.. I could be wrong as well. I tis just my opinion.

 I agree with the arrow I believe you were talking about the Giffion.. It was a great scene.

I don't recal him stopping at any barber shop...

Triss is really weak in this one.  Most of the people I have heard / read about this, dislike here the most out of the characters in the series.. even if they like the series!

No boat cuddle yet.

Yen does seem to be money grabbing and such but ... at least from my experience.. there seemed to be much more depth to her story. They took some time to show her back story and ti was very sad... made it harder to believe Yen was a hard ass. at least for me. She kept on looking like she was hurt and needed protection. Played well into Geralt protecting here and falling for her in my opinion .. in the game, I couldn't understand it.. the series .. I did.  Or at least my view of it did.

4 hours ago, JohnSmith54 said:

Witcher universe based on my native culture. What americans done, it's like one dude said - they shitted on my childhood direct inside my soul.

Will never watch this "product", never respect this.

RESPECT!  

 

2 hours ago, 27X said:

Much easier to simply watch and see yourself, and all sorceress are bitches by both design and circumstance, that's the world they live in, people whom aren't bitches tend not to live very long in most circles.

 

The books are much more direct about the truth and most of the changes are to make it mass audience palatable. Triss is the biggest hit in the series by far, she's nothing like either the games or books. RPG Penile Compensation Bow and "I'm on a boat" will most likely be second season.

He stated he didn't have a subscription. I agree it would be easier .. but perhaps he can see enough clips and such on Youtube and elsewhere that he can get a good feel on the series.

 

You think Triss is the hit?  I don't see it.  Didn't see it.  Heard others actually complain about her and the casting. (the most actually) .. why? Honestly asking for an alternate view with an open mind.  You are correct at least according to the game.. Triss is nothing at all like the game. The other characters can be recognized IMO, but her.. not really.

Link to post
2 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Ah, yes... However, I felt a strong butch, lesibian vibe from here. Like.. cut your balls off vibe.. however, she was powerful and she has been so seriously fucked with mostly by men of power ... so she could have been one of the biggest sweet hearts if you managed to get through that exterior... :D I really liked here after Jen and Triss.. she was my favorite.

I really liked the game as well. I do have the subscription.  I believe the series is really different/off from the game.  If someone loves the game, I would be worried they would be greatly disappointed in the series.. I could be wrong as well. I tis just my opinion.

 I agree with the arrow I believe you were talking about the Giffion.. It was a great scene.

I don't recal him stopping at any barber shop...

Triss is really weak in this one.  Most of the people I have heard / read about this, dislike here the most out of the characters in the series.. even if they like the series!

No boat cuddle yet.

Yen does seem to be money grabbing and such but ... at least from my experience.. there seemed to be much more depth to her story. They took some time to show her back story and ti was very sad... made it harder to believe Yen was a hard ass. at least for me. She kept on looking like she was hurt and needed protection. Played well into Geralt protecting here and falling for her in my opinion .. in the game, I couldn't understand it.. the series .. I did.  Or at least my view of it did.

RESPECT!  

 

He stated he didn't have a subscription. I agree it would be easier .. but perhaps he can see enough clips and such on Youtube and elsewhere that he can get a good feel on the series.

 

You think Triss is the hit?  I don't see it.  Didn't see it.  Heard others actually complain about her and the casting. (the most actually) .. why? Honestly asking for an alternate view with an open mind.  You are correct at least according to the game.. Triss is nothing at all like the game. The other characters can be recognized IMO, but her.. not really.

Triss is the biggest hit TO the series, all the abloobloo about casting is pretty much worthless as far as capability and acting prowess go, except for Triss; whom is literally generic woman that does a thing and moves dialog on until the very end where she finally kind of does something in character. She's the sole miscast, and I don't really care about the skin color of anybody in the show, because where and under whom it was made ensured this was going to be the de rigueur before a single kb of film was put to use. You'll recall the Showrunner didn't even want Henry Cavill cause large virile white man, automatic problematic casting problem, and her doing a 180' is probably the reason this show got the ratings it did.

Link to post
On 12/23/2019 at 5:34 AM, Celedhring said:

Anya as Yennefer was nothing short of amazing. She's perfect as that character. As for Henry Cavill, I initially wasnt sold on him as Geralt and thought Mads Mikkelson should have been Geralt. But Cavill's performance won me over.  Sure the episodes jumps to different points of the story timeline but it follows the books rather than the games. It does require the viewer to have some background knowledge of the Witcher world.  Oh, and Jodhi May as Queen Calanthe was great - she played Maggy the Frog in GOT. One other actress the one who played Tissiaeies de Vries was spot on too.

 

Biggest disappointment has to be Triss Merigold.

Your casting sentiments perfectly mirror my own, but don't forget about Dandelion! I'd also love to see Charles Dance reprise his role but that seems unlikely. As for the episodes jumping around yeah, that was annoying, even for me as some who's played the games extensively. Luckily they did say that season 2 is going to be much more linear - so there's that.

Link to post
On 2/4/2020 at 5:12 PM, RitualClarity said:

Phillipa Eilhart

 

On 2/4/2020 at 5:12 PM, RitualClarity said:

I felt a strong butch, lesibian vibe from her

She and Dijkstra together was a surprise to me. Geralt even calls her "Phil" in the games to mock her since she's one of the few sorceresses he doesn't get to fuck because she didn't seem interested. Radovid should have cut out her sharp tongue and left her pretty eyes imo. :classic_tongue:

 

That brings me to an interesting thought- why didn't they just cut out mage's tongues instead of burning them? They can't intone any spells without speaking the words.

Link to post
3 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

 

She and Dijkstra together was a surprise to me. Geralt even calls her "Phil" in the games to mock her since she's one of the few sorceresses he doesn't get to fuck because she didn't seem interested. Radovid should have cut out her sharp tongue and left her pretty eyes imo. :classic_tongue:

 

That brings me to an interesting thought- why didn't they just cut out mage's tongues instead of burning them? They can't intone any spells without speaking the words.

we all know why he kept the tongue in... :P

Spells in general don't all require speaking... They are still dangerous so they have to be killed

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...