Pose Converter - 0.89.i (10/30/2014)

Well my first experiments with trying to port animations from oblivion to FNV are fairly horrific.  The legs and arms seem ok, the spines are wonky and the right hand is....well....just horrific (bones spread out to about 5 times the size of a normal hand).   I am pretty sure it is probably just my lack of skill\knowledge, so I will try a few more things to see if I can figure it out.  It may be that I just end up needing a bit more hand holding to get comfortable with the settings.

I tried converting a zombie animation to a human one and that seemed to crash and burn too.  I have one other thing I am going to try before throwing in the towel on this particular animation and trying another creature.

I'll run some more tests and holler with my results.

Well my first experiments with trying to port animations from oblivion to FNV are fairly horrific.  The legs and arms seem ok, the spines are wonky and the right hand is....well....just horrific (bones spread out to about 5 times the size of a normal hand).   I am pretty sure it is probably just my lack of skill\knowledge, so I will try a few more things to see if I can figure it out.  It may be that I just end up needing a bit more hand holding to get comfortable with the settings.

I tried converting a zombie animation to a human one and that seemed to crash and burn too.  I have one other thing I am going to try before throwing in the towel on this particular animation and trying another creature.

I'll run some more tests and holler with my results.

Hmm.  When you get to the correct bind rotation screen, which bones are you selecting?

In general terms, you're better off not selecting anything than selecting everything.

Which animations are you attempting to port.  I'd be happy to take a look and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Edited by gerra6

Ok, I am attaching the blend file for the animation I last attempted (and made a horrible hash of).  I also included all the files I used to create the blend file so you can recreate it if you like.

This is animation 225.1offx3

Converting a minotaur to a human: for gerra6.7z

I'll try to recreate a blend file for the FNV port for you.  I don't think I saved it as it was pretty much a wreck.  Again, this could be just a result of me being stupid and not correctly using the tool right.....square peg, round hole type scenario........ :P

Neither skeleton appears to be a minotaur skeleton. Is that correct?

If I'm looking at this correctly, you're importing an animation into the Lovers Workshop Compatibility skeleton and then porting it to the Lovers Workshop Minimal modders skeleton. There's no real benefit to that, but no real harm. However, if you take a close look at the Compatibility skeleton (and any other skeleton with scale bones) you may notice that many of the base bind positions of many of the bones are completely insane.

What this means is that you should *Never* use the automated correct bind rotation with any skeleton with scale bones.

Now, the bones in the minimal modders skeleton *are* in the correct position relative to most other armatures, and are thus generally going to be compatible.

*Edit* I've imported the animation from using the base minotaur skeleton. It looks like oversized clavicle and the finger positions are causing big problems. I'll see if I can come up with anything, but it may be that the minotaur is too structurally different from the humanoid skeleton.

Edited by gerra6

I used the Lovers workshop beastskeleton (I just renamed the nif from beastskeleton to skeleton and put it into a beast folder) to import the minatour animation, ran the converter script and did the save deal as per the instructions.

Then I used the minimal modders skelly for part 2. 

Should I retry and "not" use the minimal and instead use the LW full human skelly?

I used the Lovers workshop beastskeleton to import the minatour animation, ran the converter script and did the save deal as per the instructions.

Then I used the minimal modders skelly for part 2. 

Should I retry and "not" use the minimal and instead use the LW full human skelly?

Well, my instructions probably suck. I'll take a look to see if I can eliminate the confusion.

The Blender Nif import should *always* use the native skeleton for the animation being imported. So in the case of a minotaur animation, you'll want to import the skeleton.nif from the Meshes/Creatures/Minotaur folder with the 225 kf file. If on the other hand you are converting an Oblivion animation to Fallout, the first step would be to import it using an Oblivion skeleton (I'd recommend the minimal modders skeleton).

Once the animation has been successfully imported, you can then use Pose converter to save a sanitized version of that animation (actually just a cpickle dictionary with all of the keyframes, ipos, and other information)

The next step is to use Pose Converter to load that animation into a different skeleton. In my tests to date, the quality of the imported animation varies depending mostly on the degree of difference between the two skeletons. *Many* differences, like the differences between Oblivion and Fallout skeletons, can be largely overcome by carefully pairing bones together, applying bind rotation correction to bones that will benefit from it, and not importing bones that simply refuse to behave.

Now, that said...I tried converting the Minotaur skeleton and failed in truly horrific fashion. I'm going to see if there is anything that I can do to fix it, but no guarantees. The size differences between the bones may be too big to overcome...I'll see if I can come up with anything.

At the moment, Pose Converter can compensate (somewhat) for bone orientation differences, like the differences in base arm position between Fallout, Oblivion, and Skyrim. On the other hand, I've not had much success so far compensating for differences in bone size or location. I'll see what I can come up with, but it gets really ugly really quickly.

*What do you know...my instructions did suck* I've modified them a bit to clarify which skeleton should be imported during which step.

*Further Edit* It looks like hands are a real problem between some (but not all) of the Oblivion and Fallout animations. I'm investigating to see if I can figure out the source of the and whether or not there is anything that *can* be done about it. Worst case scenario...import the bones that work, don't import the bad ones, and add those chains by hand. Currently testing using 32_OffMotionx1.kf

Edited by gerra6

Ok, 2nd try at porting a lovers animation to FNV.  This time I went with a very simple animation: 65offx1.  It appears to have done pretty well with the exception of the hands\fingers.  They went pot on me: 65oblivion to FNV.7z

I included the blend file as well as all the files I used to create the blend file

Edit:  I agree, hands and fingers seem to be a real problem.  On the animation above pretty much everything else converted fine.

I'll give the female position a try and see how it does.

Ok, the female position ported fairly easily and with the same settings the only thing that went haywire was one thumb (who does a bid of an exorcist type thing):  65porttoFNVdefx1.7z

I find it strange that the female fingers\hands copied in so well on the def but not on the off.  If we can figure out why then we can likely fix the kf files so further scripting isn't necessary.

Further note:  On both animations the OP breast 01 animation did not copy for some reason.  I had to manually copy\past the right breast animation to the left one.  Even though it was on the import\export lists it doesn't show up on the bone matching list so it doesn't seem to transfer in.  This happened with both of the above animations.

Well...this is kind of stupid.

I can tell you what's going wrong and how to fix it in the short run...I don't yet have a back-end solution, however.

For some reason, many of the lovers animations have Loc keyframes for many of the bones. This is *generally* a very bad thing...for the most part loc keyframes should only be used to either move the entire mesh or to radically reshape part of the mesh (which is part of what we do with BB motions, for example). However, body parts like hands, fingers, etc should probably never ever ever have a loc keyframe.

Except, in these lovers animations, they do.

So what does this mean? Well, there is a keyframe that sets the hand to a specific position relative to its bind position, relative to the armature. When Pose Converter exports that keyframe, it converts that bind position to a worldspace position (which is generally what you want). When it then imports that animation, it binds the hands to the position relative to the mesh of the Oblivion hands.

When that base bind location differs radically, as they do in Oblivion to Fallout armatures, those hands get offset from the Fallout armature by the amount necessary to move them to the Oblivion location. Which, as we can see, makes everything look insane.

So what I need to do is come up with a way to strip out Loc keyframes that we don't want while preserving loc keyframes that we do want....and honestly, I'm not yet sure how to tell the difference (probably going to have to analyze the entire IPO curve or something stupid like that).

But all that you need to do right now is strip out the Loc IPO curves from the animation.

So...and I apologize for all of the ugly...

After you import the source animation and source skeleton...

1. Look at your action editor

2. Find the hand bones (and any other bones that are acting stupid).

3. Expand the hand bones entries

4. Delete all of the following: LocX, LocY, LocZ

5. Once you've gotten rid of all of the crap, save the animation as you normally would.

6. Do all of the load stuff.

*Edit*

Gah...I had idea for an easy solution that failed utterly.

The only solution that I can come up with right now is to separate out the Rot, Scale, and Loc components on the animation import screen and allow you to specify which things you want imported by bone...

It's going to be ugly...but I don't yet see any way to automate this.

Edited by gerra6

That sounds simple enough.  If it is just a matter of deleting those 3 items then porting things should not be all that bad.

My next problem will be testing.  I don't know jack crap about how sexout animations are set up.  My quick glance shows that they are only 4 kf files (2 for off and 2 for def).  I need to get more info on this to see what and how this all works.  I "think" you can have more than 2 stages but heck if I know.

Edit:  For good or ill I opened a thread to see if any of the greens for Sexout have any interest in me attempting to port Lovers anims over.  If they don't have any interest then I may not waste further time on it and just stick to finishing the Lovers B4 project so I can move on to other things.

I am still very much interested in (but far to busy to attempt) learning to port armors\clothes from skyrim to oblivion.  I have scavanged several skyrim vanilla armors that others have ported and it is go me chomping at the bit go make my own.  Of course that will tie into my BU armors pack project and my armor\clothes game overhaul project that I want to do.  I would like to completely replace ALL vanilla armors\clothes in the game as well as several used by major mods.....and all of them would be destroyable of course!  I need to figure out how to win the lottery so I have enough free time to work on all of this.  :lol:

I've tested the Minotaur animation with the extra loc transforms removed and it looks pretty good.

Export/Reimport into Oblivion mesh looks pretty good for the most part. There is something a bit wonky about one of the upper arm bones that I'm trying to track down (I might be multiplying a matrix in the wrong order somewhere...I'm learning Linear Algebra as I go), and I'm not happy with the orientation of the upper torso, but overall it looks like we're on the right track.

Here's the raw blend file with the excess loc transforms removed (very tedious...I definitely need to find a good way to automate that), prior to export.

minotaur.7z

Edited by gerra6

While waiting for your pm, I played around a bit with this.

I'm trying to convert HGEC Ecup/M to pregnant bodies. I got very fine results for HGEC P3 and PBodyX2 without much pain, but I find THECP3 body is a really tough one.

Settings I used:

253p47tdkxk44jhbg.jpg

oltepbpo6vbgygcbg.jpg

Vertex groups I made:

5ohhovxd51p4bddbg.jpg <- belly

5g0xi6u82jn1bb5bg.jpg <- belly 2

Other bodies was fine with these two, but THECP3 was not, so I made one more custom group.

3zm7f9ib8nbazitbg.jpg  <- upperwaist

And the output.

4c97960a51zy9bvbg.jpg

the upper body is very good for the first lattice, without "upperwaist" group I cannot get this nice fine belly. very good,

aq656chuhbad246bg.jpg

Except for the lower part...... After I add the "upperwaist" group, I cannot seem to fix the lower body. Also tried adding Thigh L.R or Calf L.R to the tool's vertex group selection list, didn't work though.

Maybe I can separate the upper and the lower parts, generate the lattice for each parts. However, probably I'll end up with terrible waist seam & distortion and should manually fix them. Any way to get a fullbody lattice?

HGEC_E_M_to_THEC_P_3.7z

Hey! Everyone is going to get confused now. For anyone who is wondering this post is in reference to the Clothing BodyType converter http://www.loverslab.com/topic/10396-clothing-bodytype-converter-v42b/ (also known as the lattice generator), not the Pose Converter.

While waiting for your pm, I played around a bit with this.

Did you get the PM? It was sent this morning.

I'm trying to convert HGEC Ecup/M to pregnant bodies. I got very fine results for HGEC P3 and PBodyX2 without much pain, but I find THECP3 body is a really tough one.

I'm in the middle of a bit of a coding fugue, so I can't do much more than glance at the mesh, but I think I see the problem. Part of it is that the Breast Ring and the Buttock ring algorithms really don't like each other...that's probably what's breaking things. Fortunately, they're entirely redundant, since you are already choosing your vertex groups manually (I'll probably remove the Breast and Buttock buttons from the next release of the lattice generator).

What I suspect is happening is that the tool is attempting to find a path between the nipples and the buttocks...as it iterates down the legs, well, a whole lot of ugly happens.

Your best bet is to convert the OP3 bone weighting on the butt to buttock bone weighting. Once you've done that, rerun the lattice generator with Breast Ring and Buttock ring disabled. Instead, manually select the bones that you want to use.

Fortunately, I wrote an automated tool for precisely that purpose...it's buried in a thread somewhere, so here is a copy.

ConvertBB is a tiny little single purpose script. All that it does is categorize any existing OP3 weighted vertices as either breast of buttock vertices. It then converts any buttock vertices to the buttock bone group, while leaving the breast vertices untouched..

convertBB.7z

Edited by gerra6
  • 2 weeks later...

Why is this script not showing up in my list? =/ I put it in the directory and reloaded blender, but it still will not show up..

Are you using a portable version of Blender? For some reason, most of those have an extra, non-functional, scripts folder.

Make sure that you put the script in the '.blender/scripts/' folder, not, for example, 'blender/scripts'.

Why is this script not showing up in my list? =/ I put it in the directory and reloaded blender, but it still will not show up..

Are you using a portable version of Blender? For some reason, most of those have an extra, non-functional, scripts folder.

Make sure that you put the script in the '.blender/scripts/' folder, not, for example, 'blender/scripts'.

I'm on win 7 64 bit using 2.49b as per all the tutorials recommend.. Is that folder hidden by default or something?

I extracted the zip directly into the blender directory. Is this supposed to go to user-data/etc.. Or elsewhere? I didn't catch any install instructions in here, and I'm kind of a noob. All the support tutorials I could find in google were for Mac and Linux and then a whole lot of gibberish about scripts in windows..

I extracted the zip directly into the blender directory. Is this supposed to go to user-data/etc.. Or elsewhere? I didn't catch any install instructions in here, and I'm kind of a noob. All the support tutorials I could find in google were for Mac and Linux and then a whole lot of gibberish about scripts in windows..

Ohhh yea.. And I'm running python 2.6.2. Its all set up right, and I'm good with blender, just not using python scripts. I do most of my work manually because I enjoy the learning experience of how companies put it all together. But since I've learned rigging and manual posing now, I would like to be able to mass produce things in my project.. =\

With Blender, nearly all scripts are installed exactly the same way, they go in the .blender/scripts directory.

Although this directory is easy to find in the main distributions of Blender, it can be a bit trickier to locate if you are using one of the portable versions of Blender

Installing a script in a standard version of Blender:

1. Open the folder that you installed Blender to (this is whatever folder name/location you selected when you installed Blender)

2. Look for a folder called .blender

3. Inside of .blender, look for a folder called scripts

4. Copy the scripts here.

5. If you have not defined a user data directory in Blender:

5.a. If you are also installing any of the Pose Converter .cfg files (these can be saved settings, saved animations, etc), add them to the .blender/scripts/bpydata/save folder. Note, PC_ConversionData.dat is the pose converter file that stores the animation information to convert between Oblivion, Fallout, and Skyrim poses and also belongs in the .blender/scripts/bpydata/save

5.b. Otherwise, those files go into youruserdatadirectorypath/save

Ok, now, what if instead you are using one of the portable versions of Blender. Well, that means that you need to figure out where your .blender/scripts folder ended up.

Usually, this means Bin/Blender/.blender/scripts

No, I see what the problem was. I had several versions of blender previously and when I narrowed them down, must have removed the user data. I knew I had seen it before, but I had no clue it was ever removed. Guess I need to start assigning diff directories for multi version apps from now on. Ha. Thanks!

Ciao. With this Is possible "mirror" a motion? 

9. Rotate Oblivion animations (movement and/or direction) - Fixes the 90
degree import bug and simplifies the creation of left, right, forwards,
backwards animation groups.

I think I can use for some dance motion

Sorry my english