Fallout IV for Beginners - V3.2.9 (Fusion Girl / Bodytalk)

5 hours ago, Aylis said:
11 hours ago, mudcrabmerc said:

Fix for people having CTD issues when tab into pipboy; My issues was with DEF_UI and HUDFramework 1.0f:

My fix was to uncheck the DEF_INV option when installing DEF_UI (VIS-G instructions tell you to check it), then to install the DEF UI Compatibility patch.

I'm not sure if there's any loss of functionality, as this is my first time installing these particular mods, but at least this will get you going.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20309?tab=files

Interesting. Got to give this another go then. With VIS we got way to many ESP for my taste...

I can tell you from experience that the above only works for some issues. I used the compatibility patch as well (seems to have gone mia from the def_ui page). Unfortunately, the problem with Vis-G didn't come from def_ui most of the time. Rather, it tends to get crash happy when it encounters something it doesn't like. So any mod that has an item in it that Vis-G doesn't like or can't sort, is likely to cause CTDs whenever Vis-G tries to sort it. My guess is that the proper safeguards were never added to to the sorting mechanism, or that they were poorly done. 

Either way, what it comes down to is that if a mod doesn't have Vis_g compatibility coded into it, or it doesn't have a supporting patch for Vis-G, it could cause issue. Given some of the errors in the VIs-G / AWKCR files in I saw in XEdit back when I was troubleshooting the damn thing, eh. Personally, there's a reason I just stick with Def_UI and skip the sorting mods altogether . . .

1 hour ago, mudcrabmerc said:

These seem to work swimmingly for me following the instructions I mentioned previously. Along with everything in Patches & Fixes section of OP

Reveal hidden contents

UI.png

Yes, that is Vis, not Vis-G. Vis is like the first movie that was a smashing success, while Vis-G is the crappy sequel that flopped and earned the wrath of the fans of the first movie. The list originally started with Vis-G, then went to Vis.

9 minutes ago, asebw said:

Yes, that is Vis, not Vis-G. Vis is like the first movie that was a smashing success, while Vis-G is the crappy sequel that flopped and earned the wrath of the fans of the first movie. The list originally started with Vis-G, then went to Vis.

Ahhh that explains why it references them. Well the way they are written if you follow the list to the T you get a CTD

1 hour ago, mudcrabmerc said:

Ahhh that explains why it references them. Well the way they are written if you follow the list to the T you get a CTD

I'm working on it. Something is wrong with it - possibly one of the patches or Def-UI.

If this goes on i'll scrap VIS too...

8 hours ago, asebw said:

Just scrap the sorting mods altogether. Way too much work for too little reward.

Looks like that is what is going to happen.

I've been on it for hours now. Ended up with something around 25 ESP and still got missing tags or icons (which would both need even more ESP to fix). Sifting through all the possibilities and conflicts is just a nightmare.

It's either sometimes CTD while trading and lag with all the scripts or an incredible amount of patches and still some random CTD. Neither option gets even close to an acceptable result.

But now i'm going to catch some sleep, the update will come in a few hours.

4 hours ago, Aylis said:

Looks like that is what is going to happen.

I've been on it for hours now. Ended up with something around 25 ESP and still got missing tags or icons (which would both need even more ESP to fix). Sifting through all the possibilities and conflicts is just a nightmare.

It's either sometimes CTD while trading and lag with all the scripts or an incredible amount of patches and still some random CTD. Neither option gets even close to an acceptable result.

But now i'm going to catch some sleep, the update will come in a few hours.

To be honest, I don't understand why sorting mods were created in the first place. Maybe it's just my asperger's talkin, but I have no idea exactly what use they have other than to re-arrange the display in something other than alphabetical order. There are no sorting mods in skyrim as far as I can tell, so why are they in FO4?

I think its because in skyrim you could just install a good inventory UI mod, which was nice and simple. In fallout 4 you're stuck with the pipboy so sorting mods are basically the only way to make it neater. Honestly wish they'd do away with using it as a UI element but with 4 it seems like they've doubled down on integrating into even more game mechanics.

3 hours ago, Kaitol said:

I think its because in skyrim you could just install a good inventory UI mod, which was nice and simple. In fallout 4 you're stuck with the pipboy so sorting mods are basically the only way to make it neater. Honestly wish they'd do away with using it as a UI element but with 4 it seems like they've doubled down on integrating into even more game mechanics.

Interesting, but not what I meant. What I mean is literally why? Why are these damn sorting mods even needed in the first place. I literally see no point in them. 

10 hours ago, asebw said:

Interesting, but not what I meant. What I mean is literally why? Why are these damn sorting mods even needed in the first place. I literally see no point in them. 

Wait 'til you got some keys, notes, and all the other bloat you can't get so easily rid off when your not at a home. The scrolling will drive you nuts if you need something specific.

3 hours ago, Aylis said:

That one is included in the DEF-UI. I just have to find the right settings for it...

Huh, so there is. After playing around with it a bit, I get the feeling that it is something that has to be added manually. Poking the Def_UI forum to see if I can get some more details. There's also a guide on how to code the feature in manually (well, kinda) here. However, I should point out that it is not necessarily user friendly. I need to work on something else right now, but I'll give it another look later this afternoon, see if I can get it working. 

Interesting side note: After playing around with the installation options, I got it so that the keys will only appear in the pip-boy. Not sure if this is a feature or a bug though. 

Finally finished getting this set up, and it seems to be working fine for the most part, but for some reason the interact prompt for settlement workbenches says Khalat instead of Use or whatever its supposed to be. I vaguely recall one of the mods having some localization options in the downloads and I'm assuming I used the wrong one, but now I can't seem to find which one it was. I've gone back through all the mods I've downloaded off the nexus in the bast few days that are even tangentially related to workbenches to try and figure out which one it was but nothing. I'm currently going through the list one by one but it's a fairly long list, anybody else run into this problem already and know what it is?

2 hours ago, Kaitol said:

Finally finished getting this set up, and it seems to be working fine for the most part, but for some reason the interact prompt for settlement workbenches says Khalat instead of Use or whatever its supposed to be. I vaguely recall one of the mods having some localization options in the downloads and I'm assuming I used the wrong one, but now I can't seem to find which one it was. I've gone back through all the mods I've downloaded off the nexus in the bast few days that are even tangentially related to workbenches to try and figure out which one it was but nothing. I'm currently going through the list one by one but it's a fairly long list, anybody else run into this problem already and know what it is?

That one comes from the increased build limit enhanced 4k if memory serves. Don't remember what all the active options do off the top of my head, but if you set it to defer, you'll be able to use the workbench as normal (i usually use the other benches for accessing the stockpile and whatnot, so I don't run into it often).

Edit: Just gave myself a refresher on that sucker. The options are to increase the build limit, cancel upgrades (which if memory serves stops that from popping up permanently), and to defer it for 24 hours. Might wanna save before using the cancel option just to be on the safe side in case i'm wrong. 

3 minutes ago, mudcrabmerc said:

Ran into some strange textures at Thicket Excavations. There's this really low Q overlay not quite in line with the terrain, and the normal textures are underneath, almost like the LOD persisting even up close

That I think is some sort of loading glitch with the excavation textures. I've been getting that on and off for a few years now, so as far as I know it is not mod specific. Usually, just exiting out to the main menu and going back in fixes the issue. 

@Aylis have you made it into nuka world yet? I'm still running original list (for me it's mostly working) but in the fun house and several other areas there is floating grass everywhere. I'm not having any CTD issues but i didn't run the full list (lots of optionals are not installed and a few of the "needed" mods) i'll give you a mod list if you want it but i played about half of the nuka world dlc yesterday (kiddie kingdom, bottling plant and african safari) a few water seam glitches but the grass.... 

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2019 at 8:27 PM, cloudmc said:

Dang, I was going to start moding Fallout again but it appears I will not have an easy time if everyone removes their mods due to Wabbajack...

I don't think so. All Wabbajack does is let you install mods quickly. From what I gather, you can use your own list or someone else's mod list to quickly setup a mod list. Good for re-installing mods after a clean game install and whatnot, or if you want to try someone's mod list. I could see this as a good way to quickly install a stable mod list, one that you could then customize. Haven't really looked into the program itself yet truth be told. 

The real issue is that the nexus site is going to try and monetize their own mod packs for wabbajack. That seems to be the plan from what little I've read anyways, but whether it actually happens or not is going to be another question. This feels like a preemptive strike by some modders to try and avoid that from happening, or at least get some control over what happens to their mods. I also think some modders don't fully yet understand what Wabbajack does either. 

Overall, Wabbajack is still new, and I think people are trying to figure out how it's going to fit into the community. The way forward seems to be all talk for the moment, so we'll see what actions do end up happening and from there. 

I didn't know about the wabbajack stuff.Interesting.

I am thinking about trying to get Fallout 4 going again. Starting from scratch.

One persistant problem I had was the static sounding noise in the background.

There seem to be different causes of it and the fixes people recommend online did not work for me.

Any ideas ?

I'll go back and read this thread before I start in case I need the advice in it to fix anything else.