Skyrim SE for Beginners - V 3.2.6 (3BBB / HDT-SMP / HPH)

1. If you don't like that behaviour then simply don't update.

2. HDT is not only for armor. Animated Parasites, two hairmods, high heels, some other stuff and armor would be correct.

3. That part is incomprehensible for me.

4. There are good ENB for SE available. You just have to find one you like... Oldrim got more, but those often differ in nuances only.

5. What do you expect? They are still using the old engine from Morrowind and tack some new things on it. And will continue doing the same for Starfield and TES VI...

6. The LOD is easily fixed with DynDOLOD, which btw. would also be needed for Oldrim.

I get it that you don't like SE. OK, your choice. I wouldn't go back to Oldrim even if i miss a few mods from there.

But this thread is not intended to be about what is the better version of Skyrim!

This thread is intended to help those who want to mod Skyrim SE and don't know where to start.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Created a fix in case we get the 'Blue Argonian Tail' bug. Havn't seen one yet… Should he appear this might get into the list.

hello, good list of mods,i saw that you use dangerous night in your list.

i can t make it work.i quite often have ctd at the beginning of the animation.

i ask some help on the dangerous nigth forum but i have no answer.

is there anything special to make it work?

where i have to put it on the load order?i place it near the bottom of the load order.

thanks

@alain31

The way i handle it is just going down the list and installing all the mods in the same order they are listed. At the end it is just putting all the ESM at the top (above USSEP) and checking if the patches are in the correct place (aka below the file(s) they patch). 

Check out the groups 'SKSE', 'Physics and Animation', 'LL' and lastly 'Final' (don't forget to rerun FNIS whenever you change something).

Without knowing more it isn't easy to fix the CTD. But i strongly assume it is connected to the animations or the skeleton you use.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Added two more entries to 'NOT recommended mods'.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Three more hours and my new videocard finally arrives. Then i might be able to write something about hardware…

Card just arrived. I'll be off for an hour or two… Draining the loop, cutting tubes, etc. takes a bit of time.

Back in Action.

Just found an entry from Kokan about RASS. That one looks very interesting and might be a worthy addition... Looking into that mod now.

Under water works.

Dripping clothes works.

Snow/Frost on armor/clothing works.

Rain works

Another mod for the list. Imho the subtle mods are the best ones. You don't notice them if they are there, but you got the feeling that something is missing if they arn't.

Atm i'm checking all the hidden corners of Skyrim to find bugs and sadly i just found one. While the male Argonians are fine, the female ones got the 'Blue Tail Bug'. I've only read about that one before, but, even if i didn't knew if we were affected, already prepared a fix for it (which i'm testing right now).

Spoiler

Bug

ScreenShot69.png.841873f7ae5fcf7abc51a98ac5fc35ac.png

The fix works without hiccups and will be included in the list. 

Updating Status to 'Release 1.2.6 Final'

Adding RASS to 'Weather and Lighting' (done)

Adding 'Tailfix' to 'LL' (done)

Will add an entry for 'Hardware' in 'Tips and Tricks'. (done)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Back to bughunting...

Some minor changes

Adding Unofficial CC Patches to 'Basics' (Not needed by most players).

Adding Aumriel - The Pale Lady to 'Mods worth mentioning'.

Adding Dark Brotherhood assassin loot fix to 'Mods worth mentioning'.

Switched the old coin replacer for a new one with more options. Doesn't really matter if you use the old one or this one, the only difference are more options for you.

O.O

It got pinned?!

Challenge accepted! Now i HAVE to find every single hidden bug… :)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Added a bit more to the descriptions and fixed minor details (every bet i still missed some typos).

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The one thing that always bothered me a bit was the wildlife. We got a beautiful landscape but so much of it is empty. I've found a few mods which aim to rectify that and (if they pass my tests) might be a nice addition:

Sea of Spirits

Adds more life to the sea. More than just slaughterfish sounds good to me...

Neither shark nor whales… Yet? Found both and some sort of dolphin (?). But the animation for the whales seems glitchy.

Nope, whales are glitching no matter what i do, and i just had a suddenly flying shark during a fight. Ends up in the 'not recommended' category.

Spoiler

Oh crap! Diving for treasures maybe wasn't such a good idea…

ScreenShot75.png.c5ec1d99c1549f0f53fd1acb50211708.png

ScreenShot77.png.1b197e3d89540846d5c7b080f4c7e7d1.png

Birds of Skyrim SSE Edition

I had some issues with an older version of this mod (LE?) so i didn't include it in the list. Now i've read that those have been resolved and i give it another shot.

Framerates went down a bit. But no big changes. Will change the region to see if i can find more wildlife…

So far only a few doves in cities and Sea gulls on the coast. Doesn't seem to do that much, the impact on the framerates isn't that bad. Will be added to 'NPC and Creatures' as an optional file.

Birds and Flocks

Stirring up the flock near Riverwood always made me smile but i can't remember another place where something like this happened. Lets hope that this mod will help in that regard.

Subtle differences. Birds of prey flying in the distance let the world come alive. I like it, so it will be added to 'NPC and Creatures'. 

Added a comparison between five ENB, so that you can see the effects they have.

Added a comparison between weather mods.

Updating Status to 'Release 1.2.8 Final'

Adding Sea of Spirits to 'NOT recommended mods' (done)

Adding Birds of Skyrim SSE Edition to 'NPC and Creatures' (done)

Adding Birds and Flocks to 'NPC and Creatures' (done)

Adding entry 'Children' to 'Tips and Tricks' (done)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Adding entry 'Animation' to 'Tips and Tricks' (done)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I shouldn't be surprised anymore, as i've selected the mods, but there are stiil moments when the view is breathtakingly beautiful. There's a reason why i always come back to this game again and again.

Visited almost every location west, southwest and south of Whiterun. So far only one minor visual bug in Riverwood (an added chopping block and the stacks of wood floating). I've been there so many times and just noticed it. The Player and the NPC can use it and the chances are good you won't even notice it when you walk by.

Spoiler

ScreenShot87.png.ea8b37884968ea49220ee59ef23016fe.png

East of 'Drela's Cottage' some parts of the mountains seem to be miscolored. Looking for a fix now.

Spoiler

ScreenShot85.png.63ee26f9f33fd93f33d70fe85cf8fe66.png

In daylight they are a bit lighter than the rest but fit into the surroundings.

Looks like this is caused by a bug in 'Better Dynamic Snow'. Looking for a way to get around this bug.

A patch for 'Majestic Mountains' (which will now be added) was the solution...

Updating Status to 'Release 1.3.1' ('Final' will be back later)

Another fix for a visual bugs.

REMOVING following mods:

Cliffs of Skyrim - A UHD Mountain Texture Replacer (not needed anymore) (done)

Adding following mods:

Majestic Mountains                           - to 'Area' (done)

Majestic Mountains LOD                   - to 'Area' (done)

Better Dynamic Majestic Mountains - to 'Final' (done)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Checking the areas around Solitude and Morthal now (aka north western square of the map). (done)

Spoiler

ScreenShot94.png.12d7d513a010759c48cefbb8430f4dd2.png

Sadly the bug which i encountered in LE is still there… The Briarheart got no 'schlong'. I had hoped that this bug had been fixed over the years, but it seems we're out of luck in this regard.

Spoiler

ScreenShot83.png.f260549d5627f719f732cf92ee838606.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After all these years you should think you've seen it all. Far from it! I still find things which i havn't noticed before…

Starting Dawnguard so i can check those zones.

'Who are you and what did you do to Serana?' comes to mind...

Spoiler

I remember her looking 'a bit' different from what we got here.

ScreenShot97.png.c96be2c064c0227f752f7556b9552e56.png

Looks like i have to work on the NPC a little more.

Testing atm:

Serana no ESP With Fangs

Looks fine - we got something to keep.

Spoiler

Much better now and needs no ESP.

ScreenShot106.png.50af1cc3cb346134c01d5476a3b7c62e.png

Serana Dialogue Edit

Affection seems to work nicely.

Serana's Hood Fix

Another one thats looking good. Fixes one of the two things i don't like about Serana.

The Men of Winter SSE

The ones i met look fine (no black faces or something like that). Will be added.

Added a few pictures to 'Characters'.

Updating Status to 'Release 1.3.6'

REMOVED mods

Dawnguard Map Markers    - and added to 'NOT recommended'

Mods added

Serana no ESP With Fangs - to 'NPC and Creatures' (done)

Serana Dialogue Edit         - to 'Sound' (done)

Serana's Hood Fix              - to 'Armor and Weapons' (done)

The Men of Winter SSE     - to 'NPC and Creatures' (done)

Back to Dawnguard so i can check those zones.

Check of the locations around Riften (aka south eastern square of the map). (done)

Spoiler

ScreenShot109.png.ebb4d7a328aa7a23a51ce17ac7e3cd74.png

Running out of places to check...

Spoiler

ScreenShot116.png.677534dc3b31f30e4597a8370d18f6d8.png

Regarding Whiterun Valley

Spoiler

DynDOLOD hasn't been updated for those pics.

Without the mod

ScreenShot110.png.45cdec6e5fec788cfdae749e6c04f410.png

With the mod

ScreenShot111.png.12ba50c1a14fa639b9aca8d5f955f03d.png

Without the mod

ScreenShot112.png.1f3592086ef3fd8af8e9d68476b17672.png

With the mod

ScreenShot113.png.d26af88097dcaf42702ba177fed3af34.png

Volkihar looking nice and gloomy.

Spoiler

ScreenShot101.png.3cced83183136f4d9deadd7d5e515512.png

ScreenShot114.png.382de3306231318b7a691bba5c628a76.png

ScreenShot115.png.ed2969854334677f63172f79d7adff14.png

Check of the locations in the Soulcairn. (done)

Looks like we got an unexpected sideeffect.

Spoiler

ScreenShot118.png.19d3ad61827adf574d74d72474d62957.png

Will remove Dawnguard Map Markers as this doesn't look good.

Testing atm:

Mannequins revamped (done)

This one actually seems to work. It got no 'arousal' and i couldn't trigger the bug with it moving (and i really tried). Will be added.

Nope, two days later and it starts to do the same all the others do... Aka still no replacer.

mods from mathy79

Ancient Pottery (done)                                 - Doesn't do that much for us.

Medieval Candlehorns and Sconces (done) - Subtle but good (Will be added)

Medieval Silverworks (done)                        - Subtle but good (Will be added)

Medieval Silverworks STAC Patch (done)     - Required (Will be added)

Medieval Spirits (done)                                - Much better (Will be added)

Organic Riften Leaves (done)                       - Works better with the wooden planks (Will be added)

Realistic RoadSigns (done)                           - Doesn't do that much for us.

Skyrim 3D Cooking (done)                           - Subtle but good. (Will be added)

Skyrim 3D Furniture (done)                          - Holy moly... What a difference! (Has to be added)

Skyrim 3D High Hrothgar Steps (done)       - Much better (Will be added)

Skyrim 3D Rocks (done)                               - Doesn't do that much for us.

Smoking Torches and Candles (done)         - Subtle but good. (Will be added)

Immersive World Encounters SE (done)

Had a few new encounters. They all worked fine and improved the 'feel' of the world. Will be added.

Updating Status to 'Release 1.5.3'

Found way more improvements than i expected…

REMOVED mods:

Dawnguard Map Markers                     - Added to 'NOT recommended' (done)

Mannequins revamped                      - Worked perfectly for two days - now it reacted to 'Random Sex'... (done)

Mods added:

Immersive World Encounters SE       - Added to 'Override' (done)

Mannequins revamped                      - Added to 'Override' (done)

Medieval Candlehorns and Sconces - Added to 'Weather and Lighting' (done)

Medieval Silverworks                         - Added to 'Textures (and FX)' (done)

Medieval Silverworks STAC Patch    - Added to 'Weather and Lighting' (done)

Medieval Spirits                                 - Added to 'Textures (and FX)' (done)

Organic Riften Leaves                       - Added to 'Textures (and FX)' (done)

Skyrim 3D Cooking                            - Added to 'Textures (and FX)' (done)

Skyrim 3D Furniture                           - Added to 'Textures (and FX)' (done)

Skyrim 3D Furniture SMIM Patch      - Added to 'Textures (and FX)' (done)

Skyrim 3D High Hrothgar Steps        - Added to 'Textures (and FX)' (done)

Smoking Torches and Candles         - Added to 'Weather and Lighting' (done)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just found the mod i've been using in the LE for years…

Atlas Map Markers                            - Added to 'UI' (done)

REMOVED mods:

Skyrim Map Markers                          - replaced by AMM (done)

Skyrim Hearthfire Map Marker Fix     - replaced by AMM (done)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Adding Ave's Skyring to 'Mods worth mentioning'. (done)

Adding Joy of Perspective - Custom Armor Patches to 'Mods worth mentioning'. (done)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last things to do:

Skyrim 3D Landscapes - But Obsidian just started the winter season and i need better lighting and weather conditions to check that mod.

Checking to improve the lighting in the Hearthfire houses

A replacer for Serana's mother

A party outfit… (Kokan gave me a link so that should be covered)

Sleeping outfit (for the sleeping mod)

Testing atm:

Improved Hearthfire Lighting SE (done)                   - Works fine, no conlict with Luminous. Will be added.

Valerica SSE v1.7.2 (done)                                      - A bit heavy on the make up… Will be added.

Scarlet Dawn Armor - CBBE SSE                            - High heels? Nope!

Slightly Less Crappy Swimming Animations (done) - Nice ones! Will be added.  

Skyrim 3D StoneWalls (done)                                  - Forgot to enter this mod. Will be added. 

Updating Status to 'Release 1.6.1' Final 

Added mods:

Improved Hearthfire Lighting SE                    - to 'Weather and Lighting' (done)

Joy of Perspective - Custom Armor Patches - to 'Override' (done)

Valerica SSE v1.7.2                                       - to 'NPC and Creatures' (done)

Slightly Less Crappy Swimming Animations - to 'Physics and Animation' (done)  

Skyrim 3D StoneWalls                                   - to 'Textures' (done) 

Moved mods to 'Override':

Dawnguard as a Vampire (done)

Glorious Dwarven Metal (done)

Killable Children (done)

This should be it. Fixed all the bugs that i found (with the one listed exception) and I'm out of ideas what else could be further improved on... Added 'Final' as from now on any changes should be minor.

Happy hunting… Dohvakin.

Updating Status to 'Release 1.6.2' Final

There has been an update for 'Light me up' which changed a requirement.

Added the now required Papyrus Extender for SSE to the group 'SKSE'

Added a few more pictures to 'Screenshots'.

The author of 'Mannequins Revamped' is looking into the problem with 'Random Sex'. Hopefully i can readd that mod to the list after we get a patch.

Added 'Apachii Divine Elegance Store' to 'NOT recommended'.

Added 'Skyrim Horses Renewal SSE' to 'NOT recommended'.

Hello, and good day. This is a very wonderful guide, I might be planning to use it to mod my Skyrim SE. One quick question however, I noticed that you haven't put much NPC overhauls in your game. What NPC overhauls would you recommend adding that will fit your current modlist? I would like to try the Bijin series, but afraid it will mess up the mod list. Your advice is appreciated!

@wanrandy92

The thing with a lot of the overhauls is that they overdo it when you use them. With most of them you end up having almost more 'supermodels' in the game than 'normal' people. I try to improve the NPC through the use of better textures and some changes through improved meshes while still keeping it relatively close to vanilla.

€: In the end it is the 'everyone is special' problem. If that statement is true, then it becomes the norm (and i'd say boring). I'd like to keep a certain degree of surprise and 'wow-factor' in the game.

Right now i'm testing some mods for the male population to improve them a bit. But so far most mods are only for the female part of the population…

@gurugeorge

To be honest i havn't looked into that again as i prefer to play without the vanilla companions. Way too often they get into the way, push you into a deathtrap or over a cliff, charge blindly into a nest of enemies, or do something else incredible stupid... 

I tried some mods like AFT in the past but those caused some longterm issues so i rather avoid them.

Updating Status to 'Release 1.6.8' Final

A bit more finetuning.

Added mods:

Beards                        - to 'PC' (done)

Embers HD                 - to 'Weather and Lighting' (done)

Ethereal Cosmos        - to 'Textures' (done)

Fair Skin Complexion - to 'PC' (done)

HD Pondfish               - to 'NPC and Creatures' (done)

Morning Fogs SSE      - to 'Weather and Lighting' (done)

7 hours ago, Kythana said:

@wanrandy92

The thing with a lot of the overhauls is that they overdo it when you use them. With most of them you end up having almost more 'supermodels' in the game than 'normal' people. I try to improve the NPC through the use of better textures and some changes through improved meshes while still keeping it relatively close to vanilla.

€: In the end it is the 'everyone is special' problem. If that statement is true, then it becomes the norm (and i'd say boring). I'd like to keep a certain degree of surprise and 'wow-factor' in the game.

Right now i'm testing some mods for the male population to improve them a bit. But so far most mods are only for the female part of the population…

I see. I get where you are coming from, as people would like to keep the aesthetics of the game rather than having glorified hot chicks in the game. But if, let say, that I want to put in some NPC overhauls where you put the NPCs section, can it fit well without much problems? If not, then I am content with having the regular, improved vanilla look.

The last time i tried something with Bijin i got black faces on some NPC.

But this is a completely new take on Skyrim SE (with some of my new tricks) so you might try it. Regarding the placement i'd put it below 'The Eyes of Beauty NPC' and move 'Seranaholic' and 'Serana no ESP' below the mods you want to use.

This way it should work without hiccups...

4 minutes ago, Kythana said:

The last time i tried something with Bijin i got black faces on some NPC.

But this is a completely new take on Skyrim SE (with some of my new tricks) so you might try it. Regarding the placement i'd put it below 'The Eyes of Beauty NPC' and move 'Seranaholic' and 'Serana no ESP' below the mods you want to use.

This way it should work without hiccups...

Ah thanks for the information! I'll check and try it out and tell you about it if it works well.

Starting post #6 'But... Why?' (i knew i'd need the reserved post sooner or later) to give you all an idea why i chose some mods over others and why some of the popular mods are not in the list.

There won't be much in it for now, but it will grow over time.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Testing atm:

Archery Gameplay Overhaul SE                  - Incompatible to JoP. Will be added to 'NOT recommended'.

Yes Im Sure                                                 - Pure gold! Will be added to 'SKSE'.

Immersive Armours - SSE                           - No FOMOD to select armors. No installation!

Immersive Armours - JoP Patch                  - Not needed...

Immersive Armours - SSE CBBE BodySlide - Someone finally made it! Still not needed...

Skyrim Reputation                                      - Is interesting. Will be added to 'Override'.