Aylis

Skyrim SE for Beginners - V 3.0.7 (3BBB / HDT-SMP / HPH)

I'm in a fun spot. I have this level 35 game that is, essentially, where I test and break things. And, more better, I'm about to launch a fresh game built off of this setup. Really appreciate all the input throughout, and I would assume I'll have some questions once I'm "out in the world," as--for example--I'm really unclear on the impact of the ENB stuff on the world (in the plaything save, shadows were really intense--like standing next to a building made followers take out torches--but I want to see how it goes on a fresh-from-start save.

A few questions remain. I'm going to post some of the separately, as that makes it easier, I think, for folks to respond. Here's a biggie:

• Is there anything else people would do before starting a new save especially?
    • I am totally lost in the CBBE/Bodyslide world. It seems like I have things to do here, but if anyone has a link to a step-by-step guide, that would be amazing.
    • My understanding is I need to go in, pick a body type, pick the things I want that bodytype to wear, and generate some files.
    • But I also want diversity in the world--I don't want all Imperial soldiers to look "the same." The process may take care of that?

The forum/Reddit threads I have found all jump in assuming clarity of understanding of the purpose of using Bodyslide. I'm pretty sure I know/can find the right buttons to click, I'm more confused about why I'm clicking those buttons in the first place.

I have this at the top of MO2 and I cannot seem to get rid of it. Any notions? I think this is a file created in error when I first began to integrate Wrye Bash with MO2, but I can't find it!

Spoiler

image.png.a5e4816cee12df451b5b563060daf86f.png

I also have a managed, yummy happy, bash patch at the end of the list.

13 hours ago, mknn said:

@wollboi , yeah, I know. The problem is this mod right here https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/38473

I might use that mod (Improved Follower Dialogue - Lydia)  if when I next play I do different games with two or more different characters.  Not sure I want to use it on my next planned play-through because it doesn't work so well with Inigo from what I hear.  Not actually incompatible in the sense of crashes or instability or anything like that but Inigo has dialogue with Lydia which supposedly doesn't work well with that mod.

53 minutes ago, mknn said:

I have this at the top of MO2 and I cannot seem to get rid of it. Any notions? I think this is a file created in error when I first began to integrate Wrye Bash with MO2, but I can't find it!

Reveal hidden contents

right click, open file location. delete.

1 hour ago, mknn said:

Go to .../Skrim Special Edition/Data and delete the file (MO2 has to be closed first). 

1 hour ago, mknn said:

Reveal hidden contents

Unmanaged means it's a file in Skyrim's data folder itself. Normally only the mod manager would place files there. (Besides Skyrim's own files ofc)

4 hours ago, mknn said:
  • Is there anything else people would do before starting a new save especially?
    • I am totally lost in the CBBE/Bodyslide world. It seems like I have things to do here, but if anyone has a link to a step-by-step guide, that would be amazing.
    • My understanding is I need to go in, pick a body type, pick the things I want that bodytype to wear, and generate some files.
    • But I also want diversity in the world--I don't want all Imperial soldiers to look "the same." The process may take care of that?

Go through every one of your MCM menus and check to see if you can export settings. Especially for Sexlab, SLEN, etc. They are a pain to have to reconfigure for every playthrough to get it how you like it. Before you manually install Sexlab (from within the game's MCM), go to Sexlab Animation Loader, select all your animations, and import them, then install Sexlab. I find I have less trouble that way. Sexlab is a script beast.

Watch a video on Bodyslide. It's way easier than you are expecting. You are overthinking it, grasshopper. As I recall, the 3BBB mod page has pretty good instructions for using Bodyslide with 3BBB. Read over them, but you should also watch a video. Remember with 3BBB you have to apply proportions separately for NPCs and your PC.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/30174

Concerning diversifying the world, I think you get that by default pretty much with Bodyslide. Skyrim has a weight slider that is going to automatically adjust body proportions. You aren't going to see every person have the same dimensions. That would be weird.

Just remember that for your character you will need to go into the console, enter "showracemenu", and adjust your weight slider to your liking. (Or if you use Alternate Start, which you should, adjust it when you're creating your character) When I was starting out I couldn't understand how I was the only one unaffected by Bodyslide, when I actually was but my weight slider was set to 0.

2 hours ago, mknn said:

Is there any relatively painless way to either combine or esl'ify animation packs? It's downright painful to sacrifice variety here ...

What are you sacrificing? Do you have that many? With the mod list you fit way under the limit for FNIS and Nemesis. Even with additional ones added, I never went above and never needed to combine them. FNIS/Nemesis does that for you anyway.

2 hours ago, mknn said:

Is there any relatively painless way to either combine or esl'ify animation packs? It's downright painful to sacrifice variety here ...

17 minutes ago, wollboi said:

What are you sacrificing? Do you have that many? With the mod list you fit way under the limit for FNIS and Nemesis. Even with additional ones added, I never went above and never needed to combine them. FNIS/Nemesis does that for you anyway.

The DAR files don't even require FNIS or Nemesis. I assume 'cause they are replacing already existing animations of the game.

Or are you running out of space regarding ESP slots?

6 hours ago, KhajiitHasSex said:

Also got a weird problem, when using the 1st person mod it is impossible for me to see my character swinginger their swords and hitting the enemy, is there anything that can be done about that as I have a hard time even playing the game right now x3

Look in its .ini file. There's a setting to change it. You just have to switch a 1 to a 0 (or vice versa, can't remember which). If you look on the mod's page it will give you instructions.

17 hours ago, wollboi said:

Go through every one of your MCM menus and check to see if you can export settings. Especially for Sexlab, SLEN, etc. They are a pain to have to reconfigure for every playthrough to get it how you like it. Before you manually install Sexlab (from within the game's MCM), go to Sexlab Animation Loader, select all your animations, and import them, then install Sexlab. I find I have less trouble that way. Sexlab is a script beast.

Watch a video on Bodyslide. It's way easier than you are expecting. You are overthinking it, grasshopper. As I recall, the 3BBB mod page has pretty good instructions for using Bodyslide with 3BBB. Read over them, but you should also watch a video. Remember with 3BBB you have to apply proportions separately for NPCs and your PC.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/30174

Concerning diversifying the world, I think you get that by default pretty much with Bodyslide. Skyrim has a weight slider that is going to automatically adjust body proportions. You aren't going to see every person have the same dimensions. That would be weird.

Just remember that for your character you will need to go into the console, enter "showracemenu", and adjust your weight slider to your liking. (Or if you use Alternate Start, which you should, adjust it when you're creating your character) When I was starting out I couldn't understand how I was the only one unaffected by Bodyslide, when I actually was but my weight slider was set to 0.

Alright. Went and got minorly edumicated.

I found a preset that was aimed at providing a wide range of female bodies (have not found a similar preset range for men, which is too bad). I built the _0 and _1 nifs with that.

I am in the process of creating a group in Bodyslide that contains all outfits to batch build those against that preset. My question is: do I include the outfits that cover hands and feet, given that the body does not include extremities? I am referring to things like this

Spoiler

image.png.232efbb1d8e2e4a4fc0044e7942a7834.png

And here I thought I was all set to AT LAST start a game. Changing genders in initial character creation results in a CTD. I assume I did something wrong in the work with bodyslide above. Any guidance on the "right way" to undo or reset the female bodies to their defaults?

13 minutes ago, mknn said:

And here I thought I was all set to AT LAST start a game. Changing genders in initial character creation results in a CTD. I assume I did something wrong in the work with bodyslide above. Any guidance on the "right way" to undo or reset the female bodies to their defaults?

Regenerated the body, all seems fine. Whew.

1 hour ago, mknn said:

Regenerated the body, all seems fine. Whew.

And .... a CTD after character creation trying to start as a Khajitii guard. I guess I need to see if other Alternate Start options also CTD. Meh.

29 minutes ago, mknn said:

And .... a CTD after character creation trying to start as a Khajitii guard. I guess I need to see if other Alternate Start options also CTD. Meh.

Try redownloading the texture and racemenu mod. Sometimes the extraction doesn't seem to work 100% and reinstalling can help. I've tested the Khajiit and the Argonians a few days ago when someone had the same problem.

Btw. someone said blinking wouldn't work anymore. It does (at least here).

Another thing: should i upload a savegame of mine so you can use YeOlde - MCM Settings to save the settings and then apply them to a savegame of yours?

1 hour ago, Aylis said:

Try redownloading the texture and racemenu mod. Sometimes the extraction doesn't seem to work 100% and reinstalling can help. I've tested the Khajiit and the Argonians a few days ago when someone had the same problem.

Btw. someone said blinking wouldn't work anymore. It does (at least here).

Another thing: should i upload a savegame of mine so you can use YeOlde - MCM Settings to save the settings and then apply them to a savegame of yours?

I went ahead and got through the vanilla start (had to re-run FNIS--we were stuck outside the Helgen gates for a while, which is comedy relief if nothing else).

When you say texture, do you mean the Khajitii body texture? Meaning, the thought is the game is crashing when building the other Khajitii I would see in the caravan? I'll do that--I really would rather start in the caravan if I can.

Yeah, I would *love* to see someone else's various MCM settings. I was waiting on diving into them until I knew I could escape Helgen.

Sadly, no joy--reinstalled all of the Khajitii stuff, started a new game, same behavior. I go to sleep, a loading screen appears, it lasts long enough to replace the text at the bottom and ... CTD. Back to running towards Riverwood, I guess.

12 minutes ago, mknn said:

Yeah, I would *love* to see someone else's various MCM settings. I was waiting on diving into them until I knew I could escape Helgen.

OK. Here's my newest savegame:

Save71_FBF4F487_0_41796C6973_Tamriel_042018_20201114134059_38_1.ess

Save71_FBF4F487_0_41796C6973_Tamriel_042018_20201114134059_38_1.skse

If i do an upload for all i'll redo one save at the start (and remove 'some' optional mods) so there won't be too many missing mods.