[Sims 4] Sound Tool 1.1.23

I have uploaded version 1.0.5 which now has import of MP3 files enabled, this still needs some testing as the game seems a bit sensitive about which MP3 files it wants to play without crashing or making weird high-pitch noises.

When importing MP3 files they should be in the following format:

MPEG 1.0 - Single channel (MONO) - 32000 Hz or 44100 Hz sample rate.

The game may support other formats but the above are the ones I have gotten to work so far, if you find other formats that works then please share.

When importing a MP3 file it will be encoded in EA Layer3 format (AUD) and added to the package (replacing any previous added versions), the instance ID is generated from the full file path so make sure you have something unique in your path (like your name) to avoid conflicts.

For editing and mixing MP3 files I have used Audacity but there are tons of other audio tools out there:

https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/

(you will need to download/install the LAME MP3 encoder as well)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 10:01 PM, Denton47 said:

MPEG 1.0 - Single channel (MONO) - 32000 Hz or 44100 Hz sample rate.

If you readed tutorial by Flyby.

Export your file by using the 'Export' function of Audacity. The browser opens. Browse to the directory where you want to save the
file. Next select 'MP3 Files' from the pull-out menu at the bottom. In the options panel, which can be accessed from the save
(browser) window, by clicking the 'Options...' button make the following settings:

Your original sound file should be in waw-format, 16bit, 44100Hz or any MP3 format.

Set 'Bit Rate Mode' to 'Variable'.

Under 'Quality' select: '3, 155-195 kps' (this has proved to be the bit-rate the TS3 sound-engine can handle best)

Set 'Variable Speed' to 'Standard'.

As 'Channel Mode' select 'Joint Stereo'

MTS_Flyby-1211806-Audacy.jpg

I highly recommend you read the article of Wojtek also.

In fact, in order to add custom sound clips to the game, you need to properly assign names to them. For TS3, these names are as follows:

S3_01A527DB_001407EC_HASHCODE_new_file%%+_AUD.snr (01A527DB for SNR and 001407EC for _AUD tag)

S3_01EEF63A_001407EC_HASHCODE_new_file%%+_AUD.sns (01EEF63A for SNS and 001407EC for _AUD tag)

S3_8070223D_001407EC_HASHCODE_new_fileA%%+AUDT.audtun (8070223D for audtun and 001407EC for _AUD tag)

Obviously, the sound clip for TS4 should look like this:

S4_XXXXXXXX_YYYYYYYY_HASHCODE_new_file%%+_AUD.snr

And you need to find out the correct values of indexes for this type of clip (XXXXXXXX_YYYYYYYY).

On 12/12/2018 at 10:07 PM, Denton47 said:

I found the following discussion on this forum: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/877070/request-propx-and-audio-resource-info

This discussion mentions the format of the sound clip as follows: 

S4_01A527DB_001407EC_407CC2614687D0C0%%+_AUD.snr  

In other words, the format is the same as the format of the TS3 sound clips.

10 hours ago, Assser said:

If you readed tutorial by Flyby.

Export your file by using the 'Export' function of Audacity. The browser opens. Browse to the directory where you want to save the
file. Next select 'MP3 Files' from the pull-out menu at the bottom. In the options panel, which can be accessed from the save
(browser) window, by clicking the 'Options...' button make the following settings:

Your original sound file should be in waw-format, 16bit, 44100Hz or any MP3 format.

Set 'Bit Rate Mode' to 'Variable'.

Under 'Quality' select: '3, 155-195 kps' (this has proved to be the bit-rate the TS3 sound-engine can handle best)

Set 'Variable Speed' to 'Standard'.

As 'Channel Mode' select 'Joint Stereo'

MTS_Flyby-1211806-Audacy.jpg

I highly recommend you read the article of Wojtek also.

In fact, in order to add custom sound clips to the game, you need to properly assign names to them. For TS3, these names are as follows:

S3_01A527DB_001407EC_HASHCODE_new_file%%+_AUD.snr (01A527DB for SNR and 001407EC for _AUD tag)

S3_01EEF63A_001407EC_HASHCODE_new_file%%+_AUD.sns (01EEF63A for SNS and 001407EC for _AUD tag)

S3_8070223D_001407EC_HASHCODE_new_fileA%%+AUDT.audtun (8070223D for audtun and 001407EC for _AUD tag)

Obviously, the sound clip for TS4 should look like this:

S4_XXXXXXXX_YYYYYYYY_HASHCODE_new_file%%+_AUD.snr

And you need to find out the correct values of indexes for this type of clip (XXXXXXXX_YYYYYYYY).

I found the following discussion on this forum: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/877070/request-propx-and-audio-resource-info

This discussion mentions the format of the sound clip as follows: 

S4_01A527DB_001407EC_407CC2614687D0C0%%+_AUD.snr  

In other words, the format is the same as the format of the TS3 sound clips.

You don't need to assign any values, you just import the MP3 file and the tool will automatically construct the correct TGI, modify the AUD so that it will play in Sims 4 and save it to your package, also, animation sound events should be mono, not stereo.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, wild_guy said:

Thank you Denton! This your program is really useful thing so thank you again for your great work!

Install_Dir.txt is still missing in the latest releases. Do you don't include it specially?

Omitting Install_Dir.txt is deliberate as I don't want to override any local settings, when installing a new version you can just unzip into your current install directory overriding the previous binaries.

Finally! Now i can replace those annoying voices with something more apropriate.

Shame that this tool can't work with files if path to the file have spaces. But thank you, nontheless.

PS: 22k hz game won't play, but 48k plays ok. If someone wondering.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, PG-13 said:

I have a minor problem. I am unable to save an edited sound event (The ones that deals with the voices). It throws this error no matter what.

However, cloning and editing the sound files for objects, works perfectly, with no errors.

03.jpg.9a136fbec485cc58ecf7dbae37fb7e4c.jpg

Can you please provide the exact steps that leads to the error so I can reproduce it, something like this:

1. Select vo_cas_loco_walk_sleepy
2. Click Clone
3. Enter vo_sound_test
4. Save package as vo_sound_test.package
5. Select Female Voice 2
6. Delete resource 96690BCD0E0FF2E1
n. Click Save

Thank you.

21 hours ago, Denton47 said:

Can you please provide the exact steps that leads to the error so I can reproduce it, something like this:

1. Select vo_cas_loco_walk_sleepy
2. Click Clone
3. Enter vo_sound_test
4. Save package as vo_sound_test.package
5. Select Female Voice 2
6. Delete resource 96690BCD0E0FF2E1
n. Click Save

Thank you.

19 hours ago, Tullulabell said:

Hello, thank you for this tool! However, I am experiencing an error. This is what pops up when I click Play:

error1.jpg

error2.jpg

I have uploaded version 1.0.7 which should fix the problem with spaces in filenames/paths.

8 hours ago, PG-13 said:

I just found out today that you can't have your files hidden away deep in too many folders. Or the Ts4 sound tool will give you an error.

(I honestly don't know if this has anything to do with your problem)

There is an issue with replacing name maps when editing a custom sound package, I need a bit more time to fix this.

On 5/14/2019 at 12:30 AM, PG-13 said:

I have a minor problem. I am unable to save an edited sound event (The ones that deals with the voices). It throws this error no matter what.

However, cloning and editing the sound files for objects, works perfectly, with no errors.

03.jpg.9a136fbec485cc58ecf7dbae37fb7e4c.jpg

I have uploaded version 1.0.8 which should hopefully fix the problems with editing custom sound packages.

On 5/18/2019 at 4:50 PM, PG-13 said:

So, exporting the prpx and aud files directly to the animation packages should be okay correct? I prefer have everything in one file. There's no problems with this right?

On 5/18/2019 at 10:08 PM, wild_guy said:

I'm also interested in this question, I would prefer to include custom sounds right into animations package too. But it seems everything is working perfectly for you, isn't it?

When creating/modifying/testing custom sound events they should be in separate packages, this is because the sound resource doesn't have a name field so I have to store the names somewhere else and I use a name map for that (the _KEY resource in the package).

Once the custom sound is ready for release you can just merge the package with your main animation package, the name map is not needed for the custom sound event to work in game, but it is required if you want to edit it, if the name map is deleted/overridden then you wont be able to edit the sound event anymore so it is important to keep the original package as the source in case you want to edit it again.

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, wild_guy said:

Thanks a lot @Denton47! :thumbsup:

I long wanted to ask why the tool doesn't show sounds which names begin with "voe"? 

111.png.da0e920abe758dd73ddf99461b2b42be.png

The voe_ prefix means the sound event has an additional emotional component, so if you play voe_friendly_showguns_fail_x on a sad Sim with Female Voice 1 the actual event name is voe_friendly_showguns_fail_x_sad_fa, if you play it on a happy Sim the name would be voe_friendly_showguns_fail_x_happy_fa and so on.

If you are interested in working with emotion based sounds I can extend the tool to include an emotion type as well.

I'm glad to see the progress on this. I am thinking of making a custom mp3 library for the animators using this. They would be single channel (Mono) - 16bit/44hz files, only a few seconds in length. I am a retired composer and sound designer and have more than enough software and experience to do these. Let me know if your interested and what your needs would be.

4 minutes ago, wild_guy said:

That would be really cool! As for sounds, everything that can be suitable for different sex interactions, moans, sighs, breath, passionate and painful screams, slaps...

I tried to do this myself but don't have much experience in sounds and as a rule don't have a lot of time. We can discuss this via PM if you want. 

I didn't think the animators had a lot of time to do these because they are busy doing animations and that takes up most of their time. Since Denton made this I thought of several possibilities for custom sounds.

20 hours ago, wild_guy said:

Yes, I think it would be great because personally I use several "voe" sounds which have no analogues in "vo" version, such as well known "voe_react_4surprised_cm" for example, so I assume some more of suitable sounds can be found there.

Okay, I am currently working on my Visual Effects Tool which the last patch broke completely, but I will get back to the Sound Tool very soon.

I have added Emotion Type for voe_ sound events, however the result is not quite what I expected, I am only able to get a "hit" on very few of the keys if any at all, it is usually only angry, neutral, happy and sad so I suspect I am missing something here.

The keys I use are the following:

_angry
_bored
_confident
_dazed
_embarrassed
_energized
_flirty
_focused
_happy
_inspired
_neutral
_playful
_sad
_stressed
_uncomfortable

I am guessing there is a fallback if a mood doesn't have a sound event, I have tried keys like _default, _none, _standard, _, but no luck so far.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, greensky010 said:

Hello! This doesn't work for me. I have ealayer3 installed in the directory, and Install_Dir.txt leading to my installation, but when I open the .exe it doesn't do anything. Could it be because of the new update?

I have checked and none of the game resources involved have been updated as far as I can tell, also if the tool were having issues it should throw an exception like in some of the screen shots posted previously in this thread.

Are you sure you don't have anything blocking execution ?, it is a downloaded .exe file and both Windows and anti virus software can prevent execution.