Obsidian's New Game 'The Outer Worlds' Official Trailer

Kendo 2

13 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I'm a bit wary of Obsidian. They make great games but they also tend to get overly ambitious and run out of time to finish. Besides FONV, they produced KOTOR 2 which had nearly a fifth of its content cut from the final version after Evil Arts (Bioware, EA, there was no difference even in '04!) forced them to rush it out the door. If TOW isn't self-published then I fear we'll see a repeat of history.

Which, given the current state of open world games, wouldn't be that big of a deal now that I think about it. :classic_unsure:

Obsidian is owned by Microsoft so that self publication is not very likely at this point. 

Really they should ban any politics from games. And the people that uses them for there own gains. These woman should lose their jobs because of this.

Just because of this the game is already on my shit list... Sorry obsidian you can make game but leave the fucking politic out of it.

2 hours ago, D_ManXX2 said:

Really they should ban any politics from games. And the people that uses them for there own gains. These woman should lose their jobs because of this.

Unfortunately it's free speech: you get what you pay for.

Politics and video games don't mix. Overtly politicized video games never do well. I certainly don't want someone else's "reality" intruding on my fantasy.

8 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I'm a bit wary of Obsidian. They make great games but they also tend to get overly ambitious and run out of time to finish. Besides FONV, they produced KOTOR 2 which had nearly a fifth of its content cut from the final version after Evil Arts (Bioware, EA, there was no difference even in '04!) forced them to rush it out the door. If TOW isn't self-published then I fear we'll see a repeat of history.

Which, given the current state of open world games, wouldn't be that big of a deal now that I think about it. :classic_unsure:

8 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

Obsidian is owned by Microsoft so that self publication is not very likely at this point. 

The game is going to be published by Take-Two Interactive's publishing label Private Division. Though Obsidian was in the process to be acquired by Microsoft Game Studios at the time of the game's announcement, the project had been under development before that point, and Take-Two had secured the publishing rights prior to Microsoft's acquisition offer.

11 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Unfortunately it's free speech: you get what you pay for.

Politics and video games don't mix. Overtly politicized video games never do well. I certainly don't want someone else's "reality" intruding on my fantasy.

Actually no i paid for a computer game not their politic affailition. So after viewing what they state in their free speech how does that reflect the job at hand ?? We all know what femenist are. I dont need that crap when i play a game. 

3 hours ago, D_ManXX2 said:

Actually no i paid for a computer game not their politic affailition. So after viewing what they state in their free speech how does that reflect the job at hand ?? We all know what femenist are. I dont need that crap when i play a game. 

I think you've misunderstood. I was making a joke equating free speech to the old adage, "You get what you pay for." We didn't pay for what they say, so we're getting whatever they want to spout off. If people decide to include such politics in video games, we can't stop them. All we can do is not buy the game.

2 hours ago, Alkpaz said:

"I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and remain on the fence on this game." Learned not to pre-order when two games (X4 and JC4) that I pre-ordered were full of bugs and one changed its foundation. I was staying away from Indies since most are pretty 8-16bit in nature, and I've owned an original NES back in the 80s, Darwinia was cool and all but when everyone started doing the Darwinian thing, it became "meh". 

There are some good indies (Subnautica) but yes, their politics outside the game can be seen as seen by this: https://kotaku.com/subnautica-dev-fired-over-hateful-statements-1822746373 But that did not "bleed into" their game. You could say their lack of weapons was itself a "political statement" but I considered it more of a mechanic, than some "guns are bad mmmkay". 

So some developers CAN show restraint in their radicalism in games, just try to filter as much as you can as you play, if it becomes a bit overboard than let others know it is blatant in a review/posting, so those of us who do not pre-order can make a decision in whether to buy the game or not.  ;)

Frankly, I could care less if a game designer has radical views. If I don't notice that "in game" all is good. So if a soldier in new Battlefield is female amputee, if it works in the game, I don't give a flying care. As we have seen with Fallout76, developers and CEOs lie to push their games in order to make more prospective buyers, much like politicians doing the same: 

I'm not a fan of feminism. But as long as they keep their agenda off games, putting their professionalism and sticking to the core principle of gaming and the idea of the game itself, I don't care what you are. So yeah, I'm going to (for now) give them the benefit of the doubt that politics and a specific agenda will be pushed into this game.

I've never pre-ordered a game so I can wait for reviews and critics and form my judgement on game footage. But also, if this isn't on GOG, I'm passing on it as well. I don't like STEAM.

Well thats dissaponting I was pretty looked forward for the game, now I just lets see how this end up type.

No modding and no tps is also sad.

And political stuff wich based on the current shifest genereally tend to trash tier levels of writing :P , something I do not expect fromt he obsidian, since they always wrote good stuff :( .

Althought according others in their new games had too, but I never really noticed, so we can hope will be the same in this.

I hope they can deliver a good rpg.

On 12/11/2018 at 12:58 PM, Kamen Rider Kuuga said:

It'll be riddled with bugs and the Obsidian Defense Force will come out and find something to blame other than Obsidian themselves.

Look on the bright side. They will have to come up with all new excuses since Creation Engine and Holiday Rush won't be viable this time around.

No one seems to notice that Obsidian has released quite a few good CRPGs recently, namely Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny. So say whatever you want about them, but they can at least produce a good writing, something that today's Bethesda is absolutely incapable of.

And since the game is UE4-based, I think it's possible to mod it no matter if Obsidian supports mods officially or not.  Shouldn't be harder than providing script extenders for Bethesda's games.

• 1 month later...

Archived