[SOLVED] My old saves with female player characters cause CTD on load

hawkins3903

Oh man, this is tragic. In an urgent need of help in resuscitating my game!

I've been playing my modded Skyrim SE for months now and had no problem (apart from rare CTD happenings) whatsoever. I recently got a SSD and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro on it and I left my HDD untouched (on which my Skyrim is installed.) This is what I did in a nutshell;

1. Re-downloaded Steam and set an alternative install path to where it is located, Steam recognized the game and installed first-time install prerequisites as expected.
  2. Ran the launcher and let it set Skyrim.inis, and copypasted my old custom inis.
  3. I've been playing on SKSE version 2.0.7 so I re-downloaded 1.5.39 version via SteamDB and rolled back.
  4. Copypasted my old plugin text file in C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Skyrim Special Edition to match the load order to exactly how I left it.
  5. Booted up SKSE and main menu appears, hit Continue, and CTD as soon as it loads after showing me the loading screen with tips.
  6. Verified game data files using Steam, and repeated steps 1-3.
  7. Cleaned esms using SSEEdit.
  8. My old saves still crash, but I noticed New Game works, but when I switch the gender to female in character creation, the game CTDs.
  9. Reinstalled all female related mods including XPMSSE, ECE and such.
  10. Game still crashes.
  11. Tried to load one of my old saves which had a male PC. Loaded it up just fine and switched gender to female for testing. It worked?!?! EDIT: It doesn't work now. All female PC crash the game. Even the skeleton, model, textures and BodySlide preset are still intact. Concluded that only new game with female PC or old saves that have female PC cause CTD on load. Please note that female NPCs in the game work just fine.
  12. Effing burnt out. I hate this game so much.

What a bunch of mysteries this is, I don't know what else I haven't tried now and I'm beginning to feel pretty desperate. So I'm turning to reddit and many sites including here, with a slight hope. Any tips or possibly a solution would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT 1: Male PC that is being converted to female in showracemenu crashes the game now. So yes, all female PCs cause CTD.
EDIT 2: Reconfigured Nvidia 3D Settings to how I set it last time in case it's a graphical capacity issue. Still no luck.

EDIT 3: Solved the issue at last! I ran SKSE64 as admininstrator and it loaded my old saves successfully! It was a matter of access permission and I converted my Windows account to administrator account. Oh, the joy of fixing a god-awful bug. 
Spoiler
5 hours ago, hawkins3903 said:
Oh man, this is tragic. In an urgent need of help in resuscitating my game!

I've been playing my modded Skyrim SE for months now and had no problem (apart from rare CTD happenings) whatsoever. I recently got a SSD and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro on it and I left my HDD untouched (on which my Skyrim is installed.) This is what I did in a nutshell;

1. Re-downloaded Steam and set an alternative install path to where it is located, Steam recognized the game and installed first-time install prerequisites as expected.
  2. Ran the launcher and let it set Skyrim.inis, and copypasted my old custom inis.
  3. I've been playing on SKSE version 2.0.7 so I re-downloaded 1.5.39 version via SteamDB and rolled back.
  4. Copypasted my old plugin text file in C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Skyrim Special Edition to match the load order to exactly how I left it.
  5. Booted up SKSE and main menu appears, hit Continue, and CTD as soon as it loads after showing me the loading screen with tips.
  6. Verified game data files using Steam, and repeated steps 1-3.
  7. Cleaned esms using SSEEdit.
  8. My old saves still crash, but I noticed New Game works, but when I switch the gender to female in character creation, the game CTDs.
  9. Reinstalled all female related mods including XPMSSE, ECE and such.
  10. Game still crashes.
  11. Tried to load one of my old saves which had a male PC. Loaded it up just fine and switched gender to female for testing. It worked?!?! EDIT: It doesn't work now. All female PC crash the game. Even the skeleton, model, textures and BodySlide preset are still intact. Concluded that only new game with female PC or old saves that have female PC cause CTD on load. Please note that female NPCs in the game work just fine.
  12. Effing burnt out. I hate this game so much.

What a bunch of mysteries this is, I don't know what else I haven't tried now and I'm beginning to feel pretty desperate. So I'm turning to reddit and many sites including here, with a slight hope. Any tips or possibly a solution would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT 1: Male PC that is being converted to female in showracemenu crashes the game now. So yes, all female PCs cause CTD.
EDIT 2: Reconfigured Nvidia 3D Settings to how I set it last time in case it's a graphical capacity issue. Still no luck.

I'm sorry that I don't have any simple answers for you. I always go back to basics - make sure you have crash fixes, ENBoost and the right skeleton. Run LOOT and FNIS.

I don't know how things are done on other sites but let me give you a couple hints that might increase your chance of getting help from someone on this one. First, this thread is for Skyrim LE. There is a separate technical thread for SE as a subforum under Skyrim Special Edition. The people there are more likely to be able to help you. The other thing is that the people here (for many reasons) expect that all necessary information will be placed in the post. Therefore, I would encourage you to repost your question (if it hasn't already been solved elsewhere) on the Skyrim SE technical thread subforum and place your load order in the post preferably in a spoiler.

Good luck!

6 hours ago, Psalam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm sorry that I don't have any simple answers for you. I always go back to basics - make sure you have crash fixes, ENBoost and the right skeleton. Run LOOT and FNIS.

I don't know how things are done on other sites but let me give you a couple hints that might increase your chance of getting help from someone on this one. First, this thread is for Skyrim LE. There is a separate technical thread for SE as a subforum under Skyrim Special Edition. The people there are more likely to be able to help you. The other thing is that the people here (for many reasons) expect that all necessary information will be placed in the post. Therefore, I would encourage you to repost your question (if it hasn't already been solved elsewhere) on the Skyrim SE technical thread subforum and place your load order in the post preferably in a spoiler.

Good luck!

Aw shucks, I didn't notice. Thank you for the heads up! 

This is the new topic I posted in the correct section. For those who want to leave a comment.

5 hours ago, chevalierx said:

remove .skse file  from your save folder and empty your skse folder in your save folder

it will wok

Your advice seemed promising but sadly, it didn't work... Thank you anyway.

Archived