Apropos2 Poll

Apropos Users - Which is most important to you now?  

1,295 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Apropos2 do care about most?

• Skyrim Legendary Edition (LE) aka Oldrim
    • Skyrim Special Edition

Guys, just saying "lol just turn off updates" is not an answer unless you're perfectly happy with your current working mods and intend on never adding anything new

LE enjoyed post-launch popularity and with it came the mods....SSE was released years after initial release and as far as i know did not offer anything new so the only people that even bother with it are hard-core skyrim enthusiasts...that did not get bored of playing the same thing for years now...so i dont think there will be too many new mods coming

add to that the constant updates and betheseda's new business model.... yep

it all hangs on TES VI now but if things continue as they are, skyrim LE might be the last good thing to come out of them

Lets take a look at the release dates of the updates so far.

SSE Patches: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Special_Edition_Patch

7 November 2017

30 November 2017

3 April 2018

29 August 2018

3 October 2018

Now the more important bit, SKSE64 updates (v2.00.10 came out 3rd of October): http://skse.silverlock.org/download/archive/

27 September 2017

12 November 2017

4 April 2018
3 October 2018

It's not like Bethesda has been throwing out updates every week and the SKSE team has been on point lately with updating SKSE64 very quickly (these are the people you depend on the most, no SKSE updates means no SKSE methods or DLL plugins), Bethesda's main cash cow for microtransactions is Fallout 76 and to a lesser extend Fallout 4. Don't expect many creation club related updates for SSE, they're focused now on putting out the fires in the clusterfuck that is 76 and there's way more activity on the Fallout 4 side as far as creation club goes compared to SSE.

Now that that is out of the way lets take a look at stability:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzLgRvqfDs

Also read the top voted comment thread starting with "Spawned in 1000 Nazeems(no joke) and I didnt crash right into the cloud district. SSE is very stable compared to Skyrim 2011"

It runs better, it looks better, it can handle way more NPCs doing stuff on screen at once and scripts fire more reliably (Darkconsole has stated this herself and I've noticed the same things in my testing; shit is overall way more responsive).

Now I know that updates breaking your DLL hooks is not fun nor is waiting on SKSE and your dependencies to update but lets not pretend updates come out that often and from this point onward they'll only get less and less frequent.

More and more important frameworks get ported to SSE each day SexLab Framework, SLAL + animations for it, DD, Aroused, Creature Framework, More Nasty Creatures, Defeat etc. etc. ECE has been ported. Racemenu is almost completely ported over, the only thing not working is face sculpting and face overlays (you can use the makeup section to apply face paints and tattoos yourself) due to SSE using an updated renderer but expired is working on it. RaceMenu made HDT HH obsolete for SSE and we also have CBPC for physics to replace HDT PE. A lot of the mods for old Skyrim work for SSE or are quick to port over.

Edit: here's a thread (it's not up to date) of all the important stuff that has or has not been ported over: https://www.loverslab.com/topic/94228-sse-conversion-tracking-nov-22-2409/

Earlier I think I said I was moving from LE to SE.  After playing for a couple of weeks, and enjoying the SL mods I installed (mainly SGO3 and TDF prostitution), I've gone back to LE.  Mainly because (a) Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade is not (yet) ported (author is working on it) and (b) because after playing for a few hours the animation got really choppy and I had to save/reload to get it back (this happened consistently).  Maybe the latter problem was because I used SMP and not the CBD physics, but missing some of my favorite mods was the bigger problem.

So now I'm back on LE and have started a new character and have Apropos2 installed (yay!).

On 12/1/2018 at 12:15 PM, faky said:

Guys, just saying "lol just turn off updates" is not an answer unless you're perfectly happy with your current working mods and intend on never adding anything new

LE enjoyed post-launch popularity and with it came the mods....SSE was released years after initial release and as far as i know did not offer anything new so the only people that even bother with it are hard-core skyrim enthusiasts...that did not get bored of playing the same thing for years now...so i dont think there will be too many new mods coming

add to that the constant updates and betheseda's new business model.... yep

it all hangs on TES VI now but if things continue as they are, skyrim LE might be the last good thing to come out of them

You can wait a few weeks for most of your mods to be updated if you see something else you like. That's what I do. How is that not an answer? It's a value judgement. Do you want all your old mods or do you want to get the new stuff and lose whatever hasn't been updated?

Stupid question maybe but:

Since SSE has the same scripting limiations as LE, what is really the point of going for SSE? 
I tried and I noticed no difference at all, apart from my Oldrim looking far superior and having a vivid 900 plugins/255 ESP variety (and I think I am even at the lower level of "bloated"). 

I got used to having a perfect little mod for every little problem I encounter or issue I want fixed. In SE: not so much. 

• 2 weeks later...

well i blocked SSE in firewall so i actually forgot about updates and creation club (playing on 1.53) and making a setup for SSE took me way less to make a stable gameplay (no crashes yet with ~255 plugins). 
Maybe i would consider coming back to LE, but making it stable took me last time 4 days of constant modding. Also finding good mods through 60k of them is... urgh.

28 minutes ago, WiteXDan said:

well i blocked SSE in firewall so i actually forgot about updates and creation club (playing on 1.53) and making a setup for SSE took me way less to make a stable gameplay (no crashes yet with ~255 plugins). 
Maybe i would consider coming back to LE, but making it stable took me last time 4 days of constant modding. Also finding good mods through 60k of them is... urgh.

Oooh blocking SSE in firewall - that's clever!

I am sticking with oldrim for now.  Apropos is a must have mod for me for my mod layout, and would like to see it continue with Oldrim as focus

My reasons for not using SE are as follows.

1) Some mods that I use have not been ported over (though this list is shrinking)

2) Update issue is annoying

3) I would want to see collisions like we get with Beast HDT for MNC in oldrim.

PS If 1 and 3 were remedied, I probably could use a work around or tolerate #2)

I'm sticking with Oldrim because 1) too many mods on my must-have list have not been converted (and can't be converted because the authors didn't include the source scripts) and 2) I freaking hate the CC. Not just the updates but the whole idea. I know, there's a mod to get rid of its appearance in-game and there are measures to avoid the updates, but that's not the point. Bethesda already got my money and they don't deserve a single cent more. I'd sooner avoid games that include the CC (which is just Newrim and FO4 at this time).

• 4 weeks later...

I´d like to see Apropos for SSE too !

The new 64x is pretty good and the game itself feels more stable. The downside is Bethesdas cc. This shit is really fucking annoying and will be the reason of so many problems and so many hate in teh future. Poor TES6.. I´ve got a bad feeling about this Game already..

Tho, if you disable updates via Steam and use a mod to hide the cc menu you are good to go !

Please make Apropos happen for SSE !

• 4 weeks later...

Oldrim!

1. I've spent a lot of time modding Oldrim and I'm suuuuper happy with how it turned out in the end. I'm talking 800+hrs of modding, testing, experimenting and playing. Not exaggerated. I'm not gonna start fresh with SE.

2. About 40% of the mods that I use have never been properly ported to SE.

3. I have never felt like I'm missing out. SE (imo) does not have any exclusive content/mods that i really want to see in action.

4. 60-100 FPS (with havok timer patch for more than 60 FPS) with only rare drops, why change a running system?

5. Enderal is based on Oldrim too which means it's only going to profit from Oldrim mods and only Oldrim mods can be patched to work in Enderal. 

6. Im currently thinking about converting some of the SexLab stuff for Enderal such as MNC SLAL. I already made an alpha version (im not gonna release it yet though) which works fairly well.

7. I've heard about constant compatibility issues with SE updates, CC, SKSE, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

SSE for sure because for modding its just so much more stable.

I almost always have 255 mods installed and it has no issues, it just works better..

For LE I find if you try to mix and match mods you get a CTD or even worse the game locks up which can often require a reboot.

Also SSE is now becoming the standard, Nexus gets more new mods per week for SSE now then LE and there seems to be a drive to convert older LE mods to SSE and even new mods for LE the first comment is now almost always " when we you release for SSE?"

SSE does have the issue that it still gets updated and patched so SKSE breaks, but as you can change auto updates to launch only and just update it yourself when you know there is a newer SKSE and the few mods directly linked to it available then its not really an issue.

Having said all the above there is still clearly a preference on Loverslab for LE, while I would say overall modding its 50/50 between LE/SSE now here I would say its closer to 75/25 for LE.