Should I finish the main quest before modding?

Pao44445

My idea to your question:

Not necessary for the technical aspect of modding,

but form the psychological aspect it might help, because it detaches you from the idea you have to be able/have to play those quests in a modded game, that is/might be focused on a more sexy/devious aspect

So you dont need to wonder anymore what you might miss ingame  and you can focus more on modifing skyrim to your wishes and enjoy the mods you installed that dont touch the main quests anyways

hope thats not too confusing^^

Yes, because:

a) modding is addictive and you might spend all your time modding with that thought in the back of your head that you never actually "finished" the game;

b) if you complete the main quest first, you'll have a better idea of how you want to mod that part of the game. (Paarthurnax, for instance.)

While i'd agreewith point 1 of orgs1n, i wouldn't definitly say you should finish the main quest.  And there are a couple of mods that change vanilla quests a bit (like sexlab solutions = solve tasks with sex) or even add a lot of story like amorous adventures or shout like a virgin. And in all those cases, you'll miss the content of these mods if you don't play the vanilla quests.

Depends on the mods you want to use, i'd say.

Pretty much everyone will have a different opinion.  Me, I play a little bit, enough to spot things I don't like and then search out mods (or make them myself) to correct things I don't like or would like more of.  I also recommend browsing the top 100 mods here and at the Nexus as well, just to see if there is something that you might like.

4 hours ago, gregathit said:

I also recommend browsing the top 100 mods here

i'm sure that system has not been working right since 2014:

the "highest rated" Skyrim mod is a generic follower mod.

the "most commented" Skyrim mod only has 3 comments.

the "most reviewed" Skyrim mod is MNC......but LL does not even have a review system.

6 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

i'm sure that system has not been working right since 2014:

the "highest rated" Skyrim mod is a generic follower mod.

the "most commented" Skyrim mod only has 3 comments.

the "most reviewed" Skyrim mod is MNC......but LL does not even have a review system.

I stand corrected.

Pick instead, the mods you like most and that are still actively being posted in.

Nearest I've ever come to playing/completing vanilla is taking out the DB in about 10 minutes (my granny could have done it in 15). I find everything in the vanilla game piss-poor and infantile (in conception and/or execution).

Your options are:

vanilla and no mods

vanilla and mods

just mods

I vote 'just mods'.

1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

Nearest I've ever come to playing/completing vanilla is taking out the DB in about 10 minutes (my granny could have done it in 15). I find everything in the vanilla game piss-poor and infantile (in conception and/or execution).

Your options are:

vanilla and no mods

vanilla and mods

just mods

I vote 'just mods'.

Piss-poor is right. I tried playing without mods and when I reached level 10 I realized what a turd the game is and then never bothered to complete the main quest line.

It would certainly help you to appreciate what the mods add all that much more. I did the same myself but that was back when Skyrim was new. First experiencing Skyrim as a retro-game is going to be vastly different from playing it when it was all the rage.

It might be best for any new player to peruse the aesthetic mods to spruce up the visuals before playing long enough to see what they might want to alter. The same holds true for all older games on PC, really. I couldn't recommend playing Nocturne without mods (if any are online anymore), either.

I completed the entire game, before Modding it. But that was mainly because when I completed it, the game was very new, even the expansions had not been released, Caliente was pretty much an idea bodyslide didn't exist, let alone race menu. Animations well they were dreams often that led to game killers. 

But if your new, well it is a good experience, does help develop a play style, can cause bad habits though, and while it does mean main quest line you know what to expect once you start modding well nothing is really certain.

Not playing through has the benefit of playing a game that is in many ways your own story, your own adventure. But you risk taking for granted the hard work Authors have put into making your game what you want. Plus you really don't have anything to compare, the base game is o....k.... but once you Mod it well it can be TOTALLY AWESOME.  

On 11/7/2018 at 11:11 AM, Paoletfun said:

Is it necessary?

No.

Many people play Skyrim for years now and have never ever finished the main quest.

Anyway, why are you rushing through things? It's easily enjoyable as an RPG. No need to care for that overrated pet Alduin at all. There are soooo many mods :classic_tongue:

If you just want to mod, make cute, pretty, sexy character,..., then doing main quest is unnecessary. Many people never go anywhere futher than Whiterun.

But if you want to get experience with the game first, I recommend doing questlines. Plus, if play through quests, you can understand the game better.

I spent a year to play vanilla Skyrim, did any quest I found ingame. It makes me know more about game's locations and storyline, that helps me in making better Skyrim screenshots and/or story later.

Archived