What do you think about Vortex?

?????

On 11/1/2018 at 2:15 AM, CPU said:

I advise to use it for each person using SSE.

It is the only one that let's to do an installation of mods, resolving conflicts, for a beginner.

I agree the UI is quite complex sometimes.

But I will NEVER install mods by hand.

The only thing I regret is that I cannot really run CK from it, so modding (creating mods) is a pain compared to MO.

Did you try MO2? I didn't because so far i never bothered to try SSE, but from what i've read MO2 seems handy and stable now. Now i'm curious if you have different experience?

18 minutes ago, Nazzzgul666 said:

Did you try MO2? I didn't because so far i never bothered to try SSE, but from what i've read MO2 seems handy and stable now. Now i'm curious if you have different experience?

I tried it a while ago. It was not yet good.

Never tried it recently.

I will probably take another crack at Vortex once the mod  Matures and some of the Heavy tech heads figure out how this thing works and make in-depth tutorials on how to use it.

As for now it seems like a social science project seeing how many people develop brain tumors trying to figure it out. lol

• 2 weeks later...

I have it.  There is a big learning curve.  The built in sorter and such is nice, but the simple way NMM does overwrites is much better.  My opinion is they made things a bit too complicated and trying to go through their tutorials and *how to use* stuff is a bit daunting.  Over all I think it is way more complicated than it needs to be, some of their functions and trouble shooting things are not very user friendly, especially for people new to installing mods. MOII is eh.. it can be a bit complicated too but if I were to stop using NMM it would be MO II I will integrate too. 

NMM works for me so for the time being will keep using it. 

So as I didn't mod my SSE yet, once Vortex came up into Beta I just wanted to try it out. I only can compare it to MO1 which I use for my Oldrim and I have to say: I like MO way more.

BAD things:

I don't know how it compares to NMM, though with Vortex once I get a bigger file to download I can be quite certain that it get's stuck at 99% and I have to restart Vortex to finish the download.

Manual mod load order is close to impossible. There's no general level of "importance" so you can't let a mod generally set to "Overwrite all others" and you have to set rules for every single mod conflict separatly (say for BodySlide Output). If you want to create a rule without a conflict, you have to drag and drop a marker from one mod to another, so you first ahve to find these mods.

As we have the topic, finding mods is a mess, too, as Vortex isn't able to merge mods properly. As example, if you download two files from one mod on the Nexus, say SFO and its 2k LODS option, these two will appear as TWO mods in your list. Vortex doesn't recognize them as coming from the same mod ID and offers no prompt or option or whatsoever to merge them into one mod. 

Coming to generic stuff like a Bashed Patch or EBD Output: they aren't cought like in MO so you manually have to pick your generated files from your game's data folder and copy them into a manually generated folder within your Vortex mods collection.

GOOD things:

The only comfortable thing a came across are the nice implementations of LOOT and FNIS. Yes, if you have FNIS installed you can activate it to automatically run and generate an Output folder for its files.

I'm too lazy to go through the hassle of switching to a new mod manager (which I've seen on forums isn't really an improvement) while good old NMM has yet to fail me. Program-based download is not something I use since I always download manually and store mods on my HD, so if there's an improvement in that field it's totally irrelevant to me.

7 hours ago, BufusTurbo said:

Program-based download is not something I use since I always download manually and store mods on my HD, so if there's an improvement in that field it's totally irrelevant to me.

from what i've heard it's actually worse at doing that, Eg from 2 posts up:

I don't know how it compares to NMM, though with Vortex once I get a bigger file to download I can be quite certain that it get's stuck at 99% and I have to restart Vortex to finish the download.

i have also seen a few reports of it being much slower at downloading things.

I can't really tell you the download speed, because I don't have very fast internet, so all managers and browsers download with the full speed my connection is capable to provide.

Still, the rest is is annoyingly enough imo. I now uninstalled Vortex and try out MO2 for SSE. Maybe it's just because I'm more familiar with its general setup, but I can work much better with it, from the first few seconds on :/ 

On 10/31/2018 at 1:24 PM, Destroyah340 said:

NMM hasnt failed me yet so am not botherin to upgrade. Plus itd be a pain in the ass to reinstall my mods in the specific ways I have em set up

I have to agree with this- I ran 306 mods (248 plugins plus or minus a couple) in Oldrim with NMM and BOSS, and the only issue I ever had was when they published 0.60 as a "normal update" to 0.56.1 and I didn't pay attention to it and let it brick my game by bungling the conversion. Thankfully I had full backups and restored my game from them, then reverted NMM to 0.56 and I'm still using it to this day for Oldrim, Oblivion and the 32-bit Fallouts. I did switch to NMM 0.63 for SSE and FO4, and together with LOOT it hasn't let me down yet- I'm up around 200 plugins now in SSE (lol) so obviously I didn't learn my lesson with Oldrim. :classic_biggrin: Shinies! Shinies!

Probably my favorite features of NMM are 

• It puts mods where they actually belong- in my Data folder, or the appropriate subfolders, instead of all the chicanery and whoop-de-do-snort of manipulating junction points or whatever "virtual installation" scheme to simulate (but never actually achieve) proper mod component file placement. This makes troubleshooting a breeze, and means there is no need for long discussions around the intricacies of my mod manager and why stuff isn't where it belongs, because stuff is always exactly where it actually belongs.
  • The override/overwrite process is simplicity itself- NMM pops a dialog that says "Sloots of Skyrim wants to install the file One Turgid Left Nipple.nif in Data\Meshes\Bijin Bods Galore\Bodacious Ta-Tas\Pass De Nipple On De Lef-Han Side but there is already a left nipple there installed by Skyrim Areola and Nipple Overhaul (HD). Do you want to overwrite the existing file?" and my 8 choices are as detailed as one could ask for: [Yes To All], [Yes to Mod], [Yes to Folder], [Yes to File] and the corresponding [No to ...] options. This is straightforward, easy to understand, and (dare I say it) intuitive. So instead of agonizing over how to run my mod manager and make it do what I was able to do manually 9 years ago I can concentrate instead on the mod(s) and how best to strategize their installation- kind of like concentrating on driving my car safely instead of wondering what my compression ratio is on cylinder 7 or agonizing over how many kilovolts my ignition coils are putting out as I drive straight into a tree.
  • The above level of overwrite option detail notwithstanding, and despite its relatively simplistic approach, NMM tracks all overwrites reliably and allows me to revert all overwritten files when I uninstall the overwriting mod.
  • There is never a separate installation section on mod pages saying "NMM Users be sure to do Thing One, then Things Seventeen through Thirteen in reverse order, then read the two-page guide notes under "You'd be better off installing manually, Mate!" like there is for some mod managers which I won't name because my purpose here is not to start a mindless fight. :kiss:

TL; DR: As someone above me posted: NMM ain't broke, so I have no plans to fix it.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:29 PM, Slorm said:

Same here and to use a cliche "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I guess I'm just indifferent about it

I'm with these guys.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, iN7xus said:

You piece of unfinished shit...

Google translate: I think knocking NMM makes me cool, I'm one of the macho guys who use MO.

And for all the MO sycophants out there: how good was MO when it was first launched? And how problem-free is MO2?

15 hours ago, Vyxenne said:

I have to agree with this- I ran 306 mods (248 plugins plus or minus a couple) in Oldrim with NMM and BOSS, and the only issue I ever had was when they published 0.60 as a "normal update" to 0.56.1 and I didn't pay attention to it and let it brick my game by bungling the conversion. Thankfully I had full backups and restored my game from them, then reverted NMM to 0.56 and I'm still using it to this day for Oldrim, Oblivion and the 32-bit Fallouts. I did switch to NMM 0.63 for SSE and FO4, and together with LOOT it hasn't let me down yet- I'm up around 200 plugins now in SSE (lol) so obviously I didn't learn my lesson with Oldrim. :classic_biggrin: Shinies! Shinies!

• It puts mods where they actually belong- in my Data folder, or the appropriate subfolders, instead of all the chicanery and whoop-de-do-snort of manipulating junction points or whatever "virtual installation" scheme to simulate (but never actually achieve) proper mod component file placement. This makes troubleshooting a breeze, and means there is no need for long discussions around the intricacies of my mod manager and why stuff isn't where it belongs, because stuff is always exactly where it actually belongs.
  • The override/overwrite process is simplicity itself- NMM pops a dialog that says "Sloots of Skyrim wants to install the file One Turgid Left Nipple.nif in Data\Meshes\Bijin Bods Galore\Bodacious Ta-Tas\Pass De Nipple On De Lef-Han Side but there is already a left nipple there installed by Skyrim Areola and Nipple Overhaul (HD). Do you want to overwrite the existing file?" and my 8 choices are as detailed as one could ask for: [Yes To All], [Yes to Mod], [Yes to Folder], [Yes to File] and the corresponding [No to ...] options. This is straightforward, easy to understand, and (dare I say it) intuitive. So instead of agonizing over how to run my mod manager and make it do what I was able to do manually 9 years ago I can concentrate instead on the mod(s) and how best to strategize their installation- kind of like concentrating on driving my car safely instead of wondering what my compression ratio is on cylinder 7 or agonizing over how many kilovolts my ignition coils are putting out as I drive straight into a tree.
  • The above level of overwrite option detail notwithstanding, and despite its relatively simplistic approach, NMM tracks all overwrites reliably and allows me to revert all overwritten files when I uninstall the overwriting mod.
  • There is never a separate installation section on mod pages saying "NMM Users be sure to do Thing One, then Things Seventeen through Thirteen in reverse order, then read the two-page guide notes under "You'd be better off installing manually, Mate!" like there is for some mod managers which I won't name because my purpose here is not to start a mindless fight. :kiss:

TL; DR: As someone above me posted: NMM ain't broke, so I have no plans to fix it.

SO much this. I always hear people knocking the fact that NMM installs mods in the actual data folders as a negative, it's one of the main reasons I will likely never switch from it. I install a few of my mods manually and do a lot of mesh and texture edits in the data folder, I don't want to deal with virtual installs and all that. 

On 11/17/2018 at 6:18 PM, Vyxenne said:

I agree with this so much, Im a simple mind person, i have played modded Skyrim with NMM for 5 years without too much problem. And the fact that i only have 2-3 hours at night (Job happened) to play games, i cant afford rebuild Skyrim again, the last time i reinstall, it took me >2 week because i needed to choose between play other games and rebuild Skyrim.

IMO, Vortex isn't bad at all. If you're doing a clean install for SE, I'd strongly consider using it. But should you convert your NMM to it? Of course not! Never convert stuff when possible. NMM is still being slowly updated and developed and if your game is stable - keep it that way!

Now as for MO2 vs Vortex, IMO they are barely competing projects. MO2 is for serious mod management with a lot of control and flexibility. While Vortex is easier to setup and use, but far less powerful and flexible.

MO2 is more powerful and versatile, but also more complex.

Vortex is easier to use, and is just fine for basic mod management.

NMM is a legacy program that is just fine if you're already using it. But I wouldn't suggest starting to use it for the first time in 2019.

I've heard mixed things about it. Personally, I'm a fan of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" line of logic. Been using MO successfully for years now, don't see a reason to change.

On 11/17/2018 at 11:18 AM, Vyxenne said:

-snip-

To each their own.

I like MO because I can drastically change my modlist in seconds without worrying about overwrites, breaking the game, or file-structure fuckery; in a split-second I can switch from a modlist geared toward thieves to one geared toward mages, then switch back later on without installing or uninstalling a single mod. It also lets me determine incompatibilities easily; if something borks, I can find out why without ever making changes to my normal modlist thus ensuring that the bug-fixing process itself doesn't cause any more problems. Additionally, I can change which mods overwrite which other ones without re-installing any of them.

I tried it, still trying to learn how everything works with it but till i understand it more ill stick with NMM i don't mind its not supported since it does what i need it to do for now.

I was getting huge frame drops on my game so I decided to tweak around with my mods, and NMM was very slow at uninstalling / disabling mods.

In fact I decided to look into Vortex because it looked like a great software. I've been using NMM since 2016 despite everyone telling me to switch to MO because it's always done the job for me, and I believed Vortex would be just fine.

So I went with a clean install of Oldrim and downloaded Vortex.

After staring at the Vortex gui for a good 5 minutes, I was confident enough to uninstall NMM and switch to Mod Organizer 2. My game has never been more stable.

NMM was amazing at doing it's job, but it was about time I switched to something else, Vortex didn't look like the better option. The main selling point of MO2 is intuitively installing mods in their seperate folders, then enable the folders to load the plugins. Managing profiles takes 10 seconds top whereas NMM would try to disable every single mod. MO2 simply loads what I want when I want it, and I want to keep a "Vanilla" and a "Modded" Skyrim, something I wasn't able to do with just NMM. In fact I made my own program to swap the current Skyrim folder (along with the current mod folder of Nexusmods) to another one (just rename current folder to skyrimd, then get the one called skyrimdd and rename it to skyrim (or do the opposite if the check for skyrimdd was true)).

Also I've cleaned every TESV plugin that needed cleaning, and moved them to their own folders that MO2 can load. I find this mind blowing.

Archived