Vortex Mod Manager

Vortex mod manager is the product of a Nexus team that combines the best of MO (Mod Organizer) and NMM (Nexus Mod Manager) plus having some new elements that neither manager had. It was in Alpha stage for a long time and finally, on October, 9, it evolved into a Beta mod manager. It supports more than 40 games.

The first Beta release is 0.16.8 and it is available for download on two sites; Nexus and Github (for those who doesn’t visit the Nexus site for any reason). The Github site often has earlier prereleases than Nexus.

This thread has the purpose of informing anyone interested about Vortex development, to share our own experiences, disappointments, praise, opinions and similar ideas but in a civilized and cultured way. You can freely praise or attack the product as much as you like, but, please, DO NOT attack or insult each other in this thread. Any insult, attack or offense of any member of this community will be reported to the moderator.

This is a WIP thread and I will try to update this thread promptly but can not promise I will always be here due to many obligations in private life (job, pregnant wife and similar stuff). However, anyone is welcome and invited to participate in developing this thread. Please, share your problems and solutions, help others if you can. If some update is out and you don’t see me on LL for some time, feel free to post info about the update.

If it happens that this thread didn’t cover certain problem, you can open this site:

https://help.nexusmods.com/article/97-who-is-vortex-for-why-should-i-switch-to-vortex-what-is-different

or this site:

https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/Vortex

or this one:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/4316-vortex-discussion/

Have in mind that this thread is about Skyrim Legendary Edition (LE) game ONLY. I do not play Skyrim SE or any other supported game by Vortex except "Witcher 3".

If you need a help for other games, please visit upper named liks.

Vortex download on Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/about/vortex/

Vortex download on Github: https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/Vortex/releases

MOST IMPORTANT!!!

BEFORE INSTALLING VORTEX MAKE A COPY OF YOUR MODS FOLDER!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Second:

Vortex WILL NOT import any mod from NMM older than 0.63 version.  If you have older version and want to import the mods in Vortex, you have to upgrade mod manager, disable or uninstall mods and then use "Import from" function.

Beginners guide #1 by Gopher:

Spoiler

Beginners guide #2 by Gopher:

Spoiler

*** Many thanks to @Psalam for help in my English grammar.

If you have no time to watch both Gopher's videos, here is the short description how I installed Vortex.

Note: I was NMM user (0.65.10)  and this tutorial is for ex NMM users. I suppose that installation of Vortex is the same for MO users or very similar to NMM users. If you aren't sure, check Gopher's video tutorials because he covers both, NMM and MO users.

1. After making the copy of the Mods folder, I downloaded "Once-click Installer"from Nexus since manager is smarter then me and it led me through the entire installation process asking only few questions. Second download option is "Custom install location" and it there is a warning below download button to not to use it if you don't know what you are doing; if you are not experienced user.

2. After installing Vortex, you have two options for mods: "Import from NMM" or "Drag and drop". I tested both and it works. Since "Drag and drop" last longer then "Import from NMM" option, I choose "Import ... ".
- NOW during the importing you might have this picture (see the spoiler), but do not worry. Vortex couldn't import certain mod that was removed from Nexus and does not exist any longer. Just click on "Give permission" button and Vortex will install it.

Spoiler

1795922671_2018-10-1620_15_05-Vortex.png.9b99730ec0c09a505d16545386f45eb9.png

The time of importing mods depends about the size and the number of your mods. The bigger size and large number of mods takes more time for importing. I have 145 mods and importing took some 20 minutes.

3. When importing is done, you will receive a new message. (see the spoiler). Vortex will report some errors. Again: do not worry. Just click on "Finish" button and new window will open. In upper right corner you will have two "Fix" buttons. Press the lower one first.

Spoiler

1205692853_2018-10-1620_17_43-Vortex.png.e7cd2df2d76d3c23d4b0fe7c157d8b8e.png

4. Pressing the lower, second "Fix" button will fix the problem in Vortex log file. If you want to see what errors you had, the manager gives you the path to your Vortex log.

5. Click on first "Fix" button. Vortex will ask you for the destination of the mods to move to. IT HAS TO BE EMPTY FOLDER and not necessarily in Skyrim directory although it offers you destination location by default. I created new folder on the same partition where is the Skyrim and Vortex started to move my mods from "Mod folder" to the new destination. Again, the time of moving entire file depends about the size of your Mod folder. When the process of moving is done, you have several options which offer you to see whatever you want about your game. I picked "Mods" options and Vortex showed me which mods are installed, their load order, active/inactive mod and similar. 
- Note Latest LOOT, 13.4 version is buggy.  (At least in my case). After fresh installation of Skyrim  it reported dirty files. OK. I know that 3 DCLs and "Update" have to be cleaned and "Dawnguard" has to be cleaned twice in the row. But still, after the cleaning named DCL, LOOT constantly reports dirty files in "Dawnguard. So, ignore it.

- If you get "Red bell" (see the picture in the spoiler) on the right side of your installed mod, check it and see what Vortex reported. All my mods were in green except "Dawnguard" which perfectly works.

Spoiler

598198831_2018-10-1620_34_01-Vortex.png.c836d8d34478a26fbb2c3b3423b41af6.png

6. You can create a new profiles without the problems. Just click "Manage file" icon in upper left corner and Vortex will ask you the location from which you want to create a profile. Just follow tutorial.

7. Pick "Saves" on the left side of the manager, chose the save you want to paly and voila, you are playing Skyrim. :)

8. If you uninstall Vortex for any reason, have no worries. Your NMM is sill fully operational. DON'T UNINSTALL YOUR OLD MOD MANAGER because you might want to return to it. So, if  you uninstalled Vortex and returned to your old NMM, you will notice one change. All you mods will have "Inactive" icons. Have no worries again. :) Your mods are installed and active. Just check "Plugins". You see, they are there, installed and active. If the "Inactive" icons bothers you or confusing you, you can't use "Reinstall" and "Disable" options from the left panel. Those options are locked. You have to "Right click" on the mod, "Uninstall" it and then Install it again. Selected mod will gain big green arrow again. But you run LOOT afterwards because NMM placed them at the bottom of the load order. Don't forget to run FNIS too if the mod require it too.

Hey Elf Prince, how goes it?

I've been reading that Vortex doesn't allow drag n drop plugin sorting, is this correct? If so, is sorting done by creating a rule for the plugin like with LOOT?

Also, is Vortex restricted to \Data\ folder or can it install for example, ENB's and SKSE now?

Just now, R246 said:

Hey Elf Prince, how goes it?

I've been reading that Vortex doesn't allow drag n drop plugin sorting, is this correct? If so, is sorting done by creating a rule for the plugin like with LOOT?

Also, is Vortex restricted to \Data\ folder or can it install for example, ENB's and SKSE now?

1. My experience with latest Vortex is that drag and drop doesn't work for the mods that are dragged from any NMM 0.56.+. D&D works from any NMM version after 0.63.+

2. Vortex sorts and merging mods but I use integrated LOOT in Vortex, just like FNIS, Tes5Edit, Wryebash and some other programs. This is inherited from NMM.

3. I can't tell you if it can install ENB and SKSE for two reasons: one is that I always install those two manually, a second, I just started to use Vortex and I'm still learning.

I'm not Vortex guru. Rather rookie ;)  Maybe someone installed those two mods and will answer to you. I didn't. Sorry.

On 10/16/2018 at 7:21 PM, dharvinia said:

Prince, let me first say that your English in this post is amazing for someone who is not native to the language.

I could take lessons from you.

I was a bit afraid about switching to vortex, but your post has convinced me to give it a try.

Thank you

Thank you. Well, my English was improved thanks to mister Psalam.  :)

Vortex 0.16.9 is out (pre-release)

Fixes, improvements and features:

Spoiler

fixed: exception about accessing undefined object
fixed: exception if steam manifest files were not parseable
fixed: exception after external change dialog if file disappeared
fixed: exception when canceling dialog to open game folder
fixed: exception when column with a textfilter contained non-text items
fixed: exception on failed profile switch
fixed: exception when deleting the active profile
fixed: exception on start after failed mod install if no game active
fixed: exception when dragging url to extensions dropzone
fixed: exception when trying to download certain non-nexus links
fixed: exception applying ini settings
fixed: exception when opening a webpage fails
fixed: exception sorting plugins if masterlist couldn't be downloaded
fixed: exception on startup if previously active game is not supported any more (e.g. because the extension was deleted outside vortex)
fixed: exception when switching from gamebryo game to non-gamebryo game
fixed: exception after "External Changes" dialog if files were deleted in the meantime
fixed: rare exception trying to write to meta database during shutdown
fixed: rare exception on notification
fixed: profile-local savegames sometimes didn't work
fixed: error notification when canceling UAC dialog
fixed: left-over deployment manifest after changing deployment method
fixed: "Open on Nexus-Mods" opened the wrong page if mod was not installed for the intended game
fixed: new category could be created without a name
fixed: login button could be pressed again while already in progress
fixed: didn't discover updates for mods installed for the "wrong" game
fixed: dismissing a todo item triggered it
fixed: duplicate buttons in muli-selection list
fixed: enabling a mod for not-the-active game triggered deployment for the active game
fixed: incorrect unquoting when starting tool in shell
fixed: incorrectly placed menues/overlays in modals
fixed: leaked event handlers
fixed: "open on nexus" links failed if the game (the download was intended for) isn't supported inside vortex
fixed: bad timing could create invalid download entries that would produce a (auto-fixable) error on startup
fixed: runElevated function didn't resolve correctly
fixed: various bugs with move deployment
fixed: wrong github url and wrongly claiming issue as new when it isn't
fixed: buggy display of profiles for unsupported games (e.g. after the game plugin was disabled)
fixed: steam-based game detection failed if reg.exe wasn't executable
fixed: switching games could leak processes
fixed: FNIS automation failed if profile name contains certain characters (invalid on disk)
fixed: (Dragon Age 1&2) dazip mods didn't install to the correct location
fixed: (Starbound) was hardcoded to run 32-bit binary
fixed: (various Bethesda games) couldn't be started directly from Vortex
fixed: (Kingdome Come: Deliverance) exception if mod directory was deleted after Vortex startup
fixed: (Witcher 3) Detection via Steam didn't work
fixed: (Neverwinter Nights) Detection via Steam didn't work
fixed: (Sims 4) Localised versions weren't supported
fixed: (Dragons Dogma and maybe other games) import from NMM didn't detect the game
fixed: (Oblivion) exception on attempt to fix missing fonts if oblivion.ini is read-only
improvement: when application state is repaired, a backup is created
improvement: hopefully made error message a bit less scary
improvement: some wording improvements
improvement: performance improvement when changing game/profile
improvement: smarter placement of right-click menus
improvement: use full window when zooming fomod images
improvement: When clicking "show" from "unsolved conflicts" dialog now clears unrelated filters
feature: support for Monster Hunter: World
feature: added a slightly more compact theme

Download:

https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/Vortex/releases

10 hours ago, majnoon said:

I have used Vortex but have found that some of my favourite mods from here dont work using vortex and i dont know why

- Interesting since all the mods from LL works for me after importing and I'm talking about 30-40 LL mods even outdated ones. Would you, please post your error or any log that you receive after unsuccessful installation. If the mods worked in NMM or MO, they should work in Vortex. So, try to reinstall them and post eventual message here or at the Github. Registration is free.

10 minutes ago, majnoon said:

the ones that dont work are zaz animation pack and sexlab position selector. this one keeps making the game crash and i have reinstalled 3 times but keep getting the same result, im going back to using nmm and mo2 , at least they work

I see.  I don't have those two mods in my game. Well, I do have one, but Zaz 7.0.

Did you see and "red bell" beside the mods? You can check for errors.

I support your decision to return to NMM and MO for now. I kept my NMM beside Vortex and I'm using Vortex for testing purposes.

Just now, majnoon said:

there is no red bell beside the mods

OK. So the mod was successfully installed: Why it doesn't work, I have no idea at the moment.

Most common bugs in Vortex so far

(This list is only for most reported problems Vortex users posted on Github. I didn't list individual cases since issues varies from user to user)

1. Many issues with "Fallout 4" game mostly about the path and creating profiles. NMM handless Fallout 4 much better for now. (Stay with NMM and play F4)

2. Skyrim SE. (NMM 0.65.10 still handles Skyrim SE better than Vortex)

3. Black Tree gaming. (Since Nexus supports 540 network games no wonder why using Nexus network gaming is very buggy. If you can, try to stay away from it until it is fixed). :)

21 minutes ago, ousnius said:

Been using Vortex just fine with SSE the entire time, including a real playthrough (just chiming in).

Thanks for your report. I was posting the list of most reported problems on github. SSE is reported dozens of times. As I said, reports vary from user to user. :)

So I just "upgraded" to Vortex from NMM and I thought I did everything correctly.  I did all the things listed above, got all my mods imported and enabled...however...When I go to start the game, it says that it cannot find TESV.exe and I do not know what that's about. 

Any tips would be welcome.

11 minutes ago, Talbrooks said:

So I just "upgraded" to Vortex from NMM and I thought I did everything correctly.  I did all the things listed above, got all my mods imported and enabled...however...When I go to start the game, it says that it cannot find TESV.exe and I do not know what that's about. 

Any tips would be welcome.

If the process of upgrading ended well and you didn't get "error report" at the end it could mean few things:

- Your Skyrim is not registered with Steam

- You have pirate version of the game

- Your account at Nexus is in trouble.

I strongly recommend you post your problem on GIthub. Tanin is very agile and he will answer you very promptly. To post the problem on github, you have to be a member, but registration is free.

Upgrading from 0.16.8 to 0.16.9

Upgrading passed without problems and was very fast. Vortex listed all changes it made during the upgrade. I'm thrilled. :)

Vortex 0.16.10 is out (pre-release)

Spoiler

feature: added sanity check for invalid mod storage location (may trigger "State invalid" dialog for a few users)
fixed: crash (whitescreen) with certain game ini files
fixed: exception accessing chrome config file (when applying nxm fix)
fixed: exception on reporting certain errors
fixed: exception from loot if worker was already terminated
fixed: exception on an attempt to restore plugins from savegame with nothing selected
fixed: error on attempt to fix oblivion fonts was unhandled
fixed: conflict editor didn't open after trying to edit FNIS conflicts
fixed: upgrading mod didn't trigger deployment
fixed: hidden files were not deployed
fixed: user couldn't change mod storage location when no deployment method available
fixed: invisible navigation labels could still receive hover events (compact theme)
fixed: (dragon age) dazips installed to wrong location
improved: added todo steps (dashboard) informing user about where mods/downloads are stored
improved: show time remaining on download progress bar
improved: show required/available disk space during NMM import
improved: polish on the compact theme
feature: allow filtering plugin list by mod name

Download:

WARNING FOR DUAL MANAGER USERS (NMM & VORTEX)

If you use NMM and Vortex, be warned that with every single upgrade of the Vortex and importing new mods into it, Vortex changes your load order and mod activeness in NMM. So, when you upgrade Vortex and import new installed mods into it, check your load order in NMM and mods' activeness if you didn't lock it in LOOT or Wrye bash. To avoid similar situation, LOCK your load order (or make a text file in the case that Vortex unlock it) so you can always revert to it if Vortex change it.

I'm not sure if the situation is the same for MO users, but it would be good if some MO user report the issue existence or not.

Vortex 0.16.11 is out (pre-release)

Spoiler

fixed: unhandled exception if the path to the chrome config can't be resolved
fixed: unhandled exception switching game with profile edit dialog open
fixed: unhandled exception if user cancels opening github issue
fixed: rare unhandled exception where importing a module fails
fixed: exception on invalid mod rules
fixed: null access exception in morrowind plugin list
fixed: exception if registry access isn't possible
fixed: rare exception on stopping search if the search was finished in that exact moment
fixed: rare exception where profile thumbnail had no data
fixed: rare exception on close game about the meta db being closed
fixed: exception on switching to no profile if savegame transfer was active
fixed: exception when closing NMM import dialog
fixed: a few other exceptions were unhandled - should still generate error messages
fixed: automatic attempt to purge even though no deployment method selected
fixed: better error handling when accessing the steam db fails
fixed: couple of cases where errors weren't reported correctly
fixed: time-remaining display was bugged while process was at 0%
fixed: (hopefully) attempt to access .type
fixed: (hopefully) fixed attempts to run loot operations after close (during game switch)
fixed: failure to open mod page when gameid of download wasn't set
fixed: incorrect encoding in info-popovers
fixed: incorrect directory used for appdata/local if appdata/roaming had been moved
fixed: don't report user-cancelation as an error when replacing userlist
fixed: (Dragon Age) error message if mod contains invalid XML file wasn't particularly useful
improved: "More" buttons can now contain wiki links
improved: Automatically register for nexus links, removed the todo button
improved: more descriptive error messages for many of the standard errors
improved: reduced flickering loading overlay in the browser dialog
improved: more crash dumps for native errors that are otherwise really hard to investigate
improved: Rename "Support" page to "Knowledge Base" to better reflect the purpose
improved: Don't allow starting the game if there are unsolved file conflicts
improved: remind user on import that the imported mods are only enabled in a separate profile
improved: (Monster Hunter: World) improved install compatibility
feature: added support for Star Wars: KOTOR (1+2)
api: added api to add custom functionality to application start

Download:

Vortex 0.16.12 is out (pre-release)

Spoiler

fixed: unhandled exception on "query info" if archive is missing info
fixed: unhandled exception on moving download to a different game if the move failed
fixed: exception on startup if the game is no longer installed
fixed: exception retrieving list of drives
fixed: exception trying to handle certain download errors
fixed: exception if active theme directory was deleted
fixed: didn't warn re paths in application dir if the input was relative
fixed: more informative error message if profile is borked
fixed: certain error messages were missing a lot of details
fixed: (KOTOR) sanitised file names during install
improved: guess mod id during import if NMM didn't store it
improved: keep log-in connection to nexusmods alive for longer and handle disconnects graciously
improved: updated electron

Download:

Hey Elf Prince I'm having a bit of an issue with Vortex.  Trying to import my New Vegas mods I keep getting;

The selected folder contains an empty VirtualModConfig.xml file.

Not sure if I missed something or its a glitch.  I would appreciate a little assistance please ..thank you for your time and I'm sorry if this turns out to be mundane in nature.  Thank you.

6 hours ago, legendarytoyou said:

Hey Elf Prince I'm having a bit of an issue with Vortex.  Trying to import my New Vegas mods I keep getting;

The selected folder contains an empty VirtualModConfig.xml file.

Not sure if I missed something or its a glitch.  I would appreciate a little assistance please ..thank you for your time and I'm sorry if this turns out to be mundane in nature.  Thank you.

Here is the problem. I did some research about this issue. One person asked Tanin the same question and when Tanin asked him (quote): " Are you certain you selected the right nexus directory? Could you send in the VirtualModConfig.xml in question?" he never got the reply so the question was marked as unanswered.

I don not play any FO game and I have no experience with it. I'm sing Vortex for Skyrim LE and witcher 3 for testing purpose. But, if you want to get the answer on your question, ask Tanin on Github and he will answer to you. He always does. The registration for Github is free.